Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship TIE/hk Hurrikane Fighter-bomber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image Source: N/A
Affiliation: The New Order
Manufacturer: Imperium Forge Works
Model: TIE/hk Hurrikane, models -fb and -f
Modularity: Limited. The Hurrikane may swap out its rear turret cannon for twin laser cannons and upgraded shields.
Production: Mass Produced for TNO only.
Material: Durasteel, Titanium alloy, Starfighter components.
Classification: Starfighter/Fighter-bomber or Starfighter (depending on components)
Length: 14 meters
Height: 6 meters
Width: 4 meters including turret.

Armament: 8 (TIE/hk-fb) -or- 7 (TIE/hk-f)
2 forward-firing laser cannons
1 turret mounted IFW L-r9.8x repeating laser cannon (TIE/hk-fb) -OR- 1 turret mounted laser cannon (TIE/hk-f)
2 forward firing multi-purpose warhead launchers (4 torpedos each)

Defenses: 10 (TIE/hk-fb) -OR- 11 (TIE/hk-f)
A TIE/hk-fb, which carries a turreted repeating cannon, is the standard model for the Hurrikane. It carries titanium alloy armor plating as well as light shielding. The TIE/hk-f, which has twin laser cannons instead of the repeating cannon, has slightly upgraded shields.

Squadron Count: Typical squadron size is twelve fighters.

Special Features: Requires a second crew member to crew the dorsal turret.

Maneuverability Rating:
TIE/hk-fb: 2.5 in space, 5 in atmosphere
TIE/hk-f: 2.5

Speed Rating:
TIE/hk-fb: 2.5 in space, 5 in atmosphere
TIE/hk-f: 2.5

Hyperdrive Class:
TIE/hk-fb: x2
TIE/hk-f: x2

Strengths (most for standard TIE/hk-fb):
- Modularity - can be used in several different roles, depending on the model.
- Heavy forward and dorsal weaponry (-fb and -f)
- Dorsal turret provides covering fire for forward and rear firing arcs (-fb)

Weaknesses:
- Limited atmospheric speed and maneuverability (-fb and -f)
- Requires two crew members per fighter (-fb)
- Reduced speed and maneuverability (-fb and -f)

Description: The TIE/hk was developed by TNO after Colonel Vos took over the Special Operations division. He decided that Spec-Ops needed a dedicated fighter-bomber and worked with Imperium Forge Works to design it. Its initial production was limited to the New Order Special Forces, with further production solely to the New Order military.

The development team started with a standard TIE fighter, then lengthened the rear to allow for a turret and gunner to be added to the model. They then cut the standard ball cockpit almost in half, slightly reducing ventral visibility, and lengthened the nose to allow for the twin launchers to be added. The starboard and port pylons were removed and replaced with wings, at the end of which were a pair of laser cannons. The twin ion engines were then returned to the rear of the fighter, giving it an elongated but relatively sleek look and, in fact, a smaller targeting profile than most TIE models had. The extra weight from the turret and additional generator used to power the repeating laser cannon significantly decreased atmospheric maneuverability in the -fb model.

Development Thread: If needed.

Intent: I designed this for Wes's units on TRF and wanted to bring it with him over here. It's a unique design, and I want to continue using it.

Who Can Use This: The New Order, particularly TNO special forces.

Primary Source: N/A

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Wesley Vos said:
Manufacturer: Imperium Forge Works
As with the Lightning, don't forget to hyperlink this to the approved company submission (found here).

Star Wars Chaos ship building is much more structured compared to making our old TRF submissions. In order to maintain balance, I generally compare all submissions to template examples, which serve as general benchmarks for a what a design should be capable of. Compared to the standard fighter, this appears to have more offensive and defensive power combined with improved flight performance.

While reduced atmospheric speed does compensate to a degree for improved space performance, we tend to treat craft pushing to the limits as incurring diminishing returns the farther they push the envelope. In other words, it's possible to get a mass produced fighter with a speed of "1", but it probably have worse maneuverability, worse defenses, and worse armaments than a standard fighter. I'd really recommend moving all ratings (and weapons loadout) to be comparable to the standard fighter with the exception of its flight performance. I'd keep the poor atmospheric performance, and use that to bump up all variant's speed and maneuverability to "2.5".

As with the other submission, I'd expand on the description a bit.
one

The idea of the TIE/hk-s is that it acts more like an interceptor scout. That version lacks weaponry except the two laser cannon and lacks most of the starfighter's defenses. I have no problem dropping the TIE/hk-f's maneuverability and speed to 2.5, but I'd ask permission to keep the hk-s as 1.5 for both, given its significantly decreased capacity.

And I'll expand the description.

[member="Wesley Vos"], looking pretty good. Standard armament and defense ratings for starfighters is 10 and 10, so we've got two options here.

1) Make armament and defense ratings 10. With that, I'd like to see the warhead capacity moved to the standard of 4 warheads for each launcher.

2) Reduce squadron count to 10 maximum. In other words, the same overall offensive firepower as a standard starfighter squadron, but somewhat consolidated.

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
[member="Wesley Vos"]

Wesley Vos said:
Squadron Count: 6 or 12, depending on the classification and duty.
Please pick one or the other. For fleeting it would confuse people as to how many are in a squadron. IF your desire is to have one type with less numbers, please submit a second submission for that type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom