Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is entirely new to me

Hello! I just joined today because I thought that this seemed really interesting, but I'm not too familiar with how to play. I am, of course, a huge Star Wars fan, and I do have experience with tabletop roleplaying games (including Star Wars TTRPGs). I have read the rules and all that, but I was wondering about how the games usually work. Would there be a game master telling the situations to the PCs? How would I join a game/event? Hopefully you people are patient with my newbieness, and can help me get an understanding of how things work around here. I also have a question for any admins, or higher-ups if they're reading this: would I be able to create an undercover Jedi, or Jedi Shadow similar to Quinlan Vos? If I could, would I be able to work undercover in the criminal underworld, and retrieve information, go on missions for the Jedi Order, etc? Also, if that's possible, how would that work? How would I be able to be a double-agent without PCs knowing? Anyways, thanks to anyone that replies, and may the Force be with you!

Setzi Lunelle

Searching for Eleos's Altar
Hi there! The answer to all of your questions are yes! The galaxy is the limit in terms of what you want to do with your character, including being a double-agent. You just have to go about it carefully.

If you are familiar already with tabletop RPGs, Chaos is not that different. There is not normally a game master, but occasionally there is for the sake of the story. Most characters just start a roleplay based on a situation, goal or a mission and that's how the RPs start.

I would recommend reading a lot of threads to get a feel for the different kinds. Once you have an understanding, just jump right in!

But most of all welcome! :)

Welcome to SWRP!

What we do here is what I like to call "cooperative story-telling", so there is no game master. We do have Role-play Judges, Staff members who's role it is to settle disputes, but that's the closest we get to the D&D style of role-play. What this actually is, is just forum role-play. Open up a thread in the roleplay forums to get an idea of how it works.

Desric Kane said:
I also have a question for any admins, or higher-ups if they're reading this: would I be able to create an undercover Jedi, or Jedi Shadow similar to Quinlan Vos?
Yes

Desric Kane said:
If I could, would I be able to work undercover in the criminal underworld, and retrieve information, go on missions for the Jedi Order, etc?
Yes

Desric Kane said:
Also, if that's possible, how would that work?
We have Factions. They're player-created and minimally moderated. You can see them on the Holonet > Map option in the navigation.

Also, you can see all of them under the Factions navigation menu.

Desric Kane said:
How would I be able to be a double-agent without PCs knowing?
Yeah, it'd be difficult though. Some people let the meta affect their writing, so you just have to be careful what information you pass along and hope that they're cool about not letting OOC information affect their IC writing. (OOC is out of character, IC is in character.)

[member="Desric Kane"]

Hi & Welcome!

You are free to create your character in any way you see fit :) There are many factions to choose from. As far as Jedi factions there are The Jedi Order (Which is most closely related to the Republic), the Galactic Alliance's New Jedi Order, and the Silver Sanctum's Silver Jedi Order. Have a look around and see which of the three best suit your needs. If you prefer to sort of be a floater with no Order affiliation, you can still train with the Jedi Academy which is a collection of Jedi temples and Knights/Masters willing to train you.

As for your rank & such, if you are not transferring a character from another RP website, you will need to start out as a Padawan/Apprentice.

There are generally no game masters, you can simply start an Open Roleplay, which will be more or less open to the general public to join in on, or you can start a Private Role Play in which only those you want to participate will be allowed to write with you. It all depends on how you wish to go about it :)

As far as working as a double agent, without PC's knowing, OOC remains OOC, and IC remains IC. So you shouldn't have to worry about that really.

[member="Desric Kane"]

Welcome to SW Chaos!

This is a PBP roleplaying site, meaning "play by post." The world here is basically a big sandbox. There are minimal rules of course, but you can jump into public threads and start writing your character's story, reacting how he or she would react to things or jump into a Faction and have others help you get started within a framework (ie., Jedi, Sith, criminals).

As far as making an undercover Jedi, you can do that. It would be hard to do threads where you're giving out sensitive information, in say, a public thread, and still keep it a total secret. It's an open forum. But we try not to meta game here.

The only limits you have is to not create a gary stu character type. Jedi, Sith, mercenary, thief, etc. You can join any faction you like. Also participate in any rp you like, as long as you respect other ones or maybe PM the creator of the post.

The games usually works with a escenary, with a planet, a mission or maybe a situation that you can participate. You will always find patient people for rol play with.

Thank you all for replying. I have a few more questions though: do races affect my character when playing? For example: Kel Dor have the breathing apparatus allowing them to breathe in space, and most atmospheres, Nautolans are amphibious, etc. Are there limits to those abilities? Also, what is the extent of the amount of force abilities that I can have when starting out?

Desric Kane said:
Thank you all for replying. I have a few more questions though: do races affect my character when playing? For example: Kel Dor have the breathing apparatus allowing them to breathe in space, and most atmospheres, Nautolans are amphibious, etc. Are there limits to those abilities?
The limits are what's given in canon (Pretty much any level of canon, we honor mostly all of it.).

So yeah, Gen'Dai are mostly unstoppable Wolverine-healing-power crazy monsters, and yeah - you can role-play them. We do have a couple of banned species though, so make sure you look through that list when you hit up the Character Creation forum.

Desric Kane said:
Also, what is the extent of the amount of force abilities that I can have when starting out?
Everyone starts out as a Padawan/Apprentice, so keep your force abilities in that range. Some padawan learners are great at telekinesis, so you could skew your abilities to be Knight-level as an Apprentice, but still you'll need to recognize that your guy is new (in the Chaos scheme of things) and that you can't just start throwing fireballs or leveling cities; even moreso, I would recognize that Knights or higher have better attunement to their abilities.

But if you're a reasonable guy, if you take time and patience and put effort into your writing, promotion will go pretty fast.

Also, if you're transferring from another SWRP forum, I'd mention it now or in your character creation thread. This forum honors Force User rank transfers.

Tsavong Kraal said:
The limits are what's given in canon (Pretty much any level of canon, we honor mostly all of it.).

So yeah, Gen'Dai are mostly unstoppable Wolverine-healing-power crazy monsters, and yeah - you can role-play them. We do have a couple of banned species though, so make sure you look through that list when you hit up the Character Creation forum.

Everyone starts out as a Padawan/Apprentice, so keep your force abilities in that range. Some padawan learners are great at telekinesis, so you could skew your abilities to be Knight-level as an Apprentice, but still you'll need to recognize that your guy is new (in the Chaos scheme of things) and that you can't just start throwing fireballs or leveling cities; even moreso, I would recognize that Knights or higher have better attunement to their abilities.

But if you're a reasonable guy, if you take time and patience and put effort into your writing, promotion will go pretty fast.

Also, if you're transferring from another SWRP forum, I'd mention it now or in your character creation thread. This forum honors Force User rank transfers.
Thanks for the helpful tips and info. And no, I have not been on any other RP sites, this is my first one!

Desric Kane said:
Thanks for the helpful tips and info. And no, I have not been on any other RP sites, this is my first one!
Awesome, man. I hope we leave you with a good impression. If you have any more questions along your way, feel free to drop me a line, or you can continue posting them here, or you can post them in the "Site Feedback" forum.

Tsavong Kraal said:
Awesome, man. I hope we leave you with a good impression. If you have any more questions along your way, feel free to drop me a line, or you can continue posting them here, or you can post them in the "Site Feedback" forum.
Will do! And yes, so far you guys have left a great impression. I've got a good feeling about this.

You seem like a really nice person and I'd love to roleplay with you. I have a few characters as well so if you are interested there is a lot of options we could pursue. And of course, welcome to chaos!

[member="Desric Kane"]

Myron said:
You seem like a really nice person and I'd love to roleplay with you. I have a few characters as well so if you are interested there is a lot of options we could pursue. And of course, welcome to chaos!

[member="Desric Kane"]
Hey thanks! I would love to take you up on your offer... I just need to create my bio first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom