Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species The Vinterbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
iz43g5.jpg

"The awakening of the Vinterbound has begun. Something drives them to extinct us all; they march on through the harshest of winds and cross the tallest mountains. It won't be long now..." - Valkyrian Seer
http://www.deviantart.com/art/White-Walkers-GOT-400133034http://www.deviantart.com/art/White-Walkers-GOT-400133034

Name: The Vinterbound.

Designation: Semi-sentient.
Homeworld: Midvinter.
Language: None.
Average height of adults: 2 metres.
Skin color: Deathly pale.
Hair color: Icy white.
Breathes: None.

Strengths:

Painless: The Vinterbound show no signs of pain when struck, and even should they loose limbs they will keep coming at you to the best of their abilities.
Endurance: While few have lived to tell the tale, they say these dead-men never tire and that they have an endless supply of stamina. While this may seem like mere superstition to the educated, these creatures do show a distinct lack of fatigue. Between marching ever onwards to their destination as well as fighting and killing anything in sight, they do possess a tremendous amount of stamina. To put it in simple terms; each individual is able to run across the surface of Midvinter once without pause, however in doing so they would suffer great loss of energy and be rendered unable to fight. Also they would be falling apart by the end.
Seemingly endless numbers: Those who have witnessed the ever-reaching armies of the Vinterbound claim their sickly icy-blue lights could be seen for miles in the distance. They are fueled by the Sith artifact buried beneath the ice, and it is what gives them the urge to kill and what awakened them from their slumber. This process has slowly but steady been going on for many thousands of years, thus it has mustered a massive number of soulless husks.

Weaknesses:

Slow moving: Lumbering forward across the glaciers and tundras, they choose to take their time in crossing the massive mountain ranges because they know their intended goal is no match to their vast army.
Mindless: With seemingly only one thing on their mind, the Vinterbound march on until they reach Tháinbroek - the capital of the Valkyri.
Fire: Ironically - or symbolically - these newly arisen corpses in the service of the trickster god Velkar - who first brought fire to the Valkyri species - have no resistances against it themselves, and are easily vanquished should one carry a torch into battle.
Bound to Midvinter: While no official facts exist to date, the Vinterbound cannot leave or be taken from the planet Midvinter. Attempting to do so would result in either your death or their's. Should one actually succeed in removing one from the planet's orbit, they would simply crumble into dust.
Ancient: They are unable to wield any modern weapons such as blasters, blaster rifles, vibroswords, etc. That said, the Vinterbound do not age.

Distinctions: Corpse-like in appearance and with the stench to match it, the Vinterbound resemble the dead newly arisen. They seem stale in motion at first, but once in combat they become more frenzied and life-like. They cast a pale-blue aura from within, best seen in the dark, which seem to fuel them. Their eyes carry the same blue aura, making them glow blue. Some of them carry weapons and don armour native to the Valkyri, furthering the idea that these creatures are the walking dead.

Average Lifespan: Unknown.
Races: None.
Diet: The blood of any living creature they come into contact with.
Communication: None.

Culture: While these undead have no culture of their own, the Valkyri believe they are the minions of Velkar, the trickster god. He was cast out from the realm of the gods after having tricked Odiir into encasing the planet in a neverending state of winter. The Vinterbound are his instruments of vengeance against the Valkyri species, and Midvinter itself.

Technology level: Broken and ancient weapons from Vakyri culture, such as spears, axes and swords without any special properties.

General behavior: They do not talk nor breathe, because they do not possess either lungs or vocal chords to do so. The only sounds they make are the rattling of bones or grunts and gargling noises. They march in unison ever onwards until they find an unlucky village ripe for slaughter. While slow-moving in general, they unleash themselves against any living thing they encounter, charging without mercy or discrimination. Anything that gets in their path will meet its end, and thereby join their ranks. They do not retain any memories of their old lives, and even the most masterful gunslinger or skilled swordsman would become like the rest of them - a mindless husk.

The Vinterbound consume any living thing they come into contact with, and so much of the wildlife has migrated far away from the horde of undead, leaving the native Valkyri to scrounge for food moreso than ever before. There is no communicating or negotiating with them, and the only thing one should be thinking of when facing them is either pray to the Gods or run for your life. Attempts have been made to stop the ever growing horde, but every time the Valkyri were slaughtered and in the end only served to add to their numbers. In combat, they are relentless yet admittedly somewhat sloppy in their fighting, but the sheer number of them are enough to overpower any army facing them.

History: There have been few sightings of these mythological creatures throughout Valkyri history, but none of them spoke of such great numbers as they boast now. Each time someone made claims of having seen one, they were rejected and laughed at or merely ignored. The actual cause for their existence is a Sith relic, which ended up buried in the ice of Midvinter after its transportation crashed into the freezing water tens of thousands of years ago. Slowly emanating its dark influence across the tundras, this artifact awakens the dead and urges them onwards. This process has been going on for several thousand years, which explains the large number of Vinterbound in service to its dark powers. What the nature of this Sith relic truly is remains unknown, especially since no-one has ever heard of the Sith or the Force on Midvinter, but even so, nobody would know where to look for it. It should be noted that only the dead can be turned into Vinterbound, thus the need to destroy all life they come into contact with.

Disturbing reports now come in from across the great tundras of Midvinter stating that entire villages now lie in ruin and the heads of men, women and children litter the blood-soaked snow. Never has the proud people been forced into uniting against a common foe such as this, yet many remain sceptical and refuse to be part of a larger force, thereby dividing the Valkyri forces. Several Warlords and Chieftains dismiss the rumours as false and choose to remain in their small villages scattered about the planet, but the only thing able to stop this invasion of Vinterbound is a combined army of every Valkyri warrior available.

Notable Player-Characters: None.
Intent: To create a threat native to Midvinter and the Valkyri species. This is solely intended for the planned role-play taking place on Midvinter.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
A few issues here mate. Firstly, undead, how exactly did that happen? Are they Sith Spawn or some sort of bacteria or virus that takes over dead flesh? Do they only affect Valkyri dead or can they inhabit any species? Can the process happen to only children or also adults? If it can happen to children can they grow? How does it spread so quickly as to become "Seemingly Endless"?

Diet needs to change. They don't necessarily need to eat food per se, but any time they swing a sword, or their arms, or what have you that expels energy, and they need to get that energy from somewhere.

• Brute strength: Without the restraints of a nervous system, the Vinterbound are able to throw everything they've got into a single strike or lunge and keep the same power throughout an entire battle.
This is actually an issue of safety. Humans(And other species as well) never put their full effort into a blow or lift because after certain levels of force the stress of the action damages the body, breaking bones because they can't handle the stress of the force exerted. A well muscled Vinterbound who put all of his energy into a single strike would be quite the devastating blow, but it'd also render him useless for the rest of the battle. If that's what you intend that's fine, but I'd like a mention of the stresses that caused.

Thurion Heavenshield said:
Bound to Midvinter: While no official facts exist to date, the Vinterbound cannot leave or be taken from the planet Midvinter. Attempting to do so would result in either your death or their's. Nothing can be done to sway their one purpose, nor can they be conversed with.
There's just a teeny bit of interpretation here in those last two sentences, almost implying that the Vinterbound wouldn't leave willingly, but could be transported if they were taken unwillingly. Fix this to say that they'll physically can't live after leaving the planet.

• Technology level: None, save for the broken weapons and armour they carry, which are from ancient times.
I'll need some clarification on what they can and can't carry and use here. "Ancient weapons" could mean spears and atlatl's, or it could mean forcesabers and blasters. I'll also need to know if they can pick up other's weapons and use them, say they manage to kill Han Solo, can they pick up his DL-44 and shoot it?

Lastly, as I'm assuming these are the undead of sentients I need to know if/how much of the old creature's memories and abilities remain. If a master swordsman is made a Vinterbound would he retain his skill? Could a force-sensitive still use the Force after becoming a Vinterbound? Could a sniper hit a kneecap with an aratech sniper rifle with a trilight scope at a distance of 120 kilometers? Etc. etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing your response @[member="Thurion Heavenshield"], and quite interested to see how you further flesh out this icey world of yours. I might have to take a visit sometime.

I believe that's everything you asked for. If not, then I apologise in advance. Let me know if you feel the Sith relic will cause problems or that it should be explained in greater detail. :)

Sorry I had it clog up the Species forum for so long. :(

@[member="Valik"]

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
Alright, my apologies for the late reply.

I like what you are doing here, give me a bit more on the general behavior. Besides that, I would like a clarification. The endurance strength more specifically. The fact that they have an endless supply of stamina, this is hearsay? Or an actual strength of them?

Tag me with a clarification, and when you are done editing.

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"]

[member="Jared Ovmar"] - Added the following:

Endurance: While few have lived to tell the tale, they say these dead-men never tire and that they have an endless supply of stamina. While this may seem like mere superstition to the educated, these creatures do show a distinct lack of fatigue. Between marching ever onwards to their destination as well as fighting and killing anything in sight, they do possess a tremendous amount of stamina. To put it in simple terms; each individual is able to run across the surface of Midvinter once without pause, however in doing so they would suffer great loss of energy and be rendered unable to fight. Also they would be falling apart by the end.

Under 'General Behaviour':

The Vinterbound consume any living thing they come into contact with, and so much of the wildlife has migrated far away from the horde of undead, leaving the native Valkyri to scrounge for food moreso than ever before. There is no communicating or negotiating with them, and the only thing one should be thinking of when facing them is either pray to the Gods or run for your life. Attempts have been made to stop the ever growing horde, but every time the Valkyri were slaughtered and in the end only served to add to their numbers. In combat, they are relentless yet admittedly somewhat sloppy in their fighting, but the sheer number of them are enough to overpower any army facing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom