Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Lord of the House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wMhCBW7NTs​
Serenno~Blackgate Manor
Men and women from across the galaxy had gathered on Serenno to attend the funeral for Adron's family. Of course this gave the young lord no illusion of comfort. Why should it? His entire family slaughtered, their legacy nearly destroyed, and no type of justice to speak of for such a travesty. He watched from the steps of his keep as the estate's court yard was flooded with noblemen, military leaders, and dignitaries from hundreds of worlds. Many had known his father by reputation, the boy wondered how many had ever even seen the man.

His eyes rose to the wooden pyre constructed in the center of the court yard, placed over a large metallic host, resting on the pyre were the lifeless bodies of his family. No longer able to stomach the site he turned from the image, focusing instead on the small band that was assembled on a nearby balcony. As their instruments began to sing and the crowd came to a chilling silence Adron felt a need to swallow deeply, clearing his throat.

Slowly he made his way down the steps of the manor, two members of his security team flanking him closely. The crowd before him parted, allowing him easy passage to the pyre where his family rested.

"There is no death.....There is no death...." He repeated whilst continuing his advance. "There is only The Force." The boy completed.

Far faster than he had wished he had reached the pyre where a single wooden torch was being lit for him. A metallic stairway was linked to the structure which he climbed as the music came to a soothed halt. His eyes scanned over the bodies that laid over the pyre and he felt the tears attempting to well up in his eyes. He had to be strong, he had to show as Lord of the house he would be as powerful as his father, but it was becoming too much for him.

A few stray tears rolled from his cheeks before he gave power to his voice, speaking out to the crowd surrounding him. "Today we honor those who have become one with the Force. Their service will never be forgotten, their legacy will live on, and their memories will be preserved." He called out, a slight falter in his voice as he spoke.

Once again clearing his throat he spoke yet again, his eyes falling down onto his father. "We honor, Lord Avius Malvern. Jedi Master and Lord of the House." The lifelessness of his father was stunning, so much so it caused a noticeable pause in the ceremony. Never the less he continued to his mother after the moment had passed.

"We honor Lady Jassica Malvern. Jedi Master and Lady of the House." As if growing numb to the feeling Adron continued with increased ease. Moving to his younger brother he could not help but clench his hands, tightening them into fists. "We honor....Aric Malvern. Padawan Learner and second son of the House."

Again he continued, this time to his eldest sister, who even in death held an aura of defiance. "We honor Lady Diandra Malvern. Jedi Knight, First daughter of the House, and keeper of the watch."

Finally his eyes fell to his older sister, Kassa. "We honor Lady Kassa Malvern. Jedi Knight and Second daughter of the House."

An exhale of relief came from him as he turned from his family, glancing down to the torch that was being held out to him. Adron bent down to receive the tool, looking over the crowd once more before setting the torch in the center of the pyre. There was supposed to be more but the boy had done all he could do. He glanced up at the band and gave a slight nod, signaling them to continue the music. As the flames grew and the music played Adron lowered himself from the steps, refusing to watch his family burn.

[member="Emeline Thorn"]

Serenno. The noble planet was known for its deep politics, and sometimes cut-throat situations. Nobles squabbling and fighting over land and titles was not something that Emeline was stranger to, but she had never seen such ruthlessness before. Alsakan had noble houses too of course, though they were usually more tactful when it came to power grabs. Standing not far off from the funeral pyre itself, Emeline watched the ceremony with great sadness. She did not know Lord Malvern very well, but it pained her to see what had happened to him. The tragedy that had overtaken the planet was terrible to say the least, not even counting the fact that it happened to Adron, a near and dear friend of Emeline herself. Somberly watching Adron place the torch in the pyre, Emeline could not help but let tears fall. She did not cry for much, but watching a dear friend say goodbye to his family was almost too cruel to bear. Forgoing her legionnaires armor in her shuttle, Emeline made sure to dress formally for the event. Black, silk robes fell over her body lazily, though she still kept her light-saber close to her hip.

The sickening part of this wasn't the funeral entirely. It was the fact that Adron's family were murdered by the very families that were here, watching the pyre. Her sensitivity to the Force allowed her to feel signatures through the world itself, but even she could not pick out the murderers. No, she had not been trained that well just yet, but she was working on it. She silently cursed her inability to help her dear friend. It would appear that being there for him would be the best thing she could do for him currently. Taking a deep breath, Emeline watched the pyre and wished the Malvern's a peaceful rest. She would pay tribute to them from now on, in their memory of course.

Turning her attention to Adron, Emeline admired the young man's ability to stay strong during the pyre. Lesser men would've broken down during such an event, but somehow, Adron powered through it with strength and conviction. Their friendship had been sealed years ago, during one of Emeline's Outer Rim adventures. They had met and became friends through many problems, though none so serious as this. Those adventures seemed heavenly compared to this, and Emeline wished they could turn back the clock. Had she stayed with Adron instead of rushing off to the Unknown Region, could she of prevented the slaughter of the Malvern family? It was indeed an enticing thought, but Emeline couldn't dwell on the once possible. Waiting for the opportune moment to do so, Emeline approached Adron when it was courteous to do so. The woman's bronzed skin and hair fell over her face, but it was still obviously Emeline. She hoped his security force wouldn't be too overzealous.

When he noticed her, Emeline would curtsy to the best of her ability. "Lord Malvern." Her voice would be darker and more colder then long before, but that was understandable for these circumstances. She was attempting to be as polite and noble as possible, but she wanted nothing more then to hug her friend. He needed this more then anything she believed. The idea of him slowly losing himself was something she could not bear to think. People change when death is introduced to their life so violently. She hoped he would react with strength and perseverance.

[member="Adron Malvern"]

Adron never turned his attention to the burning pyre he left behind him. There was no need, he knew exactly what it would look like. Making his way back to the steps of his estate his guards flanked him once again, their alertness a testimony to the new found resolve they carried. Once again the young lord found himself on the steps to the manor, watching as the guests who arrived for the funeral paid their respects to his family. A hand fell over his shoulder, causing him to turn his attention to the man who had taken a position behind him.

A Rodian, with star like eyes and a nasty scar running from his left cheek to the bottom of his eye, clasped his hand over the boys shoulder. Captain Nuana was Adron's personal guard and now Captain of his security forces. The Rodian had known Adron since he was a boy and had guarded him ever since. During the entirety of his time in recovery Nuana scantly left his side. There were no words exchanged between the two but a part of Adron sensed that his Guard felt the force of this tragedy nearly as much as Adron had.

Normally a banquet would be held in the honor of the house and those who attended, but Adron did not have the energy for such a display, nor would he pretend to. As the pyre turned from a minuscule flame to a roaring fire men and women passed it to pay their respects, but ultimately prepared to depart Blackgate manor.

Out of the corner of his eye he could see one of his security officers adjust his hand to rest on his blaster. When Adron pulled himself from his thoughts he saw the man was responding to a woman, approaching the Count. Adron stepped past the man, reigning his paranoia in as he looked to the woman who had come before him.

Recognition came to him immediately as the woman with bronze skin and fair hair approached him. Adron and Emeline had been friends for some time, sharing a number of interesting adventures during their time in the outer rim. Even the thought of those days was enough to lighten the boy's mood.

As she offered the young man a respectful curtsy he too returned the gesture, bending slightly at the waist while taking her hand into his. "My lady." He said, his words nearly catching in the back of his throat. A subtle grunt escaped him as he pushed the hesitation from him and spoke up once again. "It's good to see you, Emeline." He stated, lessening the formality of the situation and simply enjoying the presence of his dear friend.

"I had hoped to invite you back to the manor under better circumstances." His voice was softer than normal, it had a chill to it that recent events had bestowed upon him. As the winds around the manor began to pick up Adron gestured back to the manor. "Join me inside? I think I'm going to be sick if I stay out here." He lowered his voice as he spoke, though he had been strong to this point there was only so much he could do. He knew if he was forced to remain in the presence of his families bodies he would likely throw up.

His security guards prepared to enter the manor, gesturing for the young lord to enter first. However, he extended his hand to Emeline, not forgetting the courtesy of a noble.

[member="Emeline Thorn"]

Adron always made sure to keep up appearances, making sure to return the noble gesture just as she had. This event had definitely changed Adron, and it was obvious in his inflection and movements. He had aged, his mind having to catch up with the maturity of the situation that surrounded him. The very idea of it made Emeline quite sad, as she missed the youthful vigor Adron once had. Perhaps she would be able to coax that out of him with her mere presence.

Moving inside the manor, Emeline noted the guards and their weapons. Security would probably be very tight for Adron now, and Emeline worried if it would be enough. It was obvious that someone wanted the entire Malvern family dead, and they wouldn't be pleased knowing that Adron had survived.

"Once I heard, I made sure to return as quickly as the Empire would allow." Turning to face Adron, Emeline held him close, but didn't attempt to hug him. She needed to give him space for now. Taking his hands in her hands, she took a good, hard look at him. He was down, but definitely not out. Adron still had fight left in him, at least for the time being. He no doubt had been searching for his family's killers since the murder. He would be unable to get any solace knowing they were out there lurking about in the shadows.

"Do you have any leads on who did this?" Emeline asked, still holding the young count's hands. Finding the murderers would be important at this point, and Emeline wanted to help him in any way possible. She was a full legionnaire now, and justice was something she liked to dish out, especially when it was as necessary as this.

[member="Adron Malvern"]

As they made their way into the main hall of Blackgate manor Adron took a moment to look at the statues that lined the pillars. The likenesses of the lord's who served as head of the House of Malvern. They continued to advance and Adron looked over his ancestors with a solemn silence. It was not until they reached his father's statue that he felt his ire begin to rise. Though only moments later he felt his anger calmed when Emeline took his hands into her own.

He glanced over to her as she spoke and even her voice helped to soothe him. Her words brought his mind back to focus and he offered her a curt shake of his head in response. "Yes and no. I suspect Houses Demici and Dooku...but it doesn't really matter. For almost a year there have been attacks on my family. My father suspected the other Houses but he couldn't pin the attacks to any certain one." Adron gestured towards the end of the hall, moving deeper into the manor, as he continued to speak.

"When I recovered the Great Houses convened....it was agreed by all that my father's expansions and business endeavors in the outer rim were the cause of this. They say assassin's were hired to see to the extermination but not just anyone could arrange this. A call bearing an official seal of the Serrenoan government was received by my father, stating there would be a meeting of the Houses. The other Houses says it was forged...I find that hard to believe. What's more there were more than ten soldiers in that building when my father was attacked, all masquerading as Government security...This was definitely an inside job. And even if the majority of the Houses did not plan it....they allowed it."

Adron turned down a new hall, bringing them to his father's old study. He entered a code into the door's panel before it slid open. Adron gestured for Emeline to enter before he turned his attention to the Captain of his guard. "Can you have some tea sent up Nuana?"

A moment of hesitation was given by the Rodian as he glanced over Adron's shoulder, eyeing Emeline closely. "My lord...." He started, but Adron was not in the mood for debate. "Thank you, Captain....I trust her. Post your men here if you have to but I'd like to talk to my friend alone." The Rodian offered another moment of hesitation before nodding down to Adron. "As you wish, my lord."

Closing the door behind him Adron turned to Emeline and exhaled softly in relief. "I missed you Emeline....I really appreciate you coming." Adron made his way to the adjacent wall where a family portrait hung, directly over the Houses emblem. "It doesn't feel real...I keep thinking my father will come find me to scold me in "proper" etiquette, or Aric will come bug me about going into the mountains." There was a moment passed before Adron turned to Emeline. "The Jedi don't believe in revenge....but I want to avenge them. I want to hurt the people who did this Em, hurt them like they hurt my family." Adron forced the words out, his aggravation growing as the topic continued.

[member="Emeline Thorn"]

The busts of the ancestors of the Malvern family were beautifully made, and were incredibly lifelike. It was amazing that the galaxy, even with its age and damage, could still create something so wonderful. Watching Adron, Emeline bit her bottom lip in anxiety. Adron would be reminded of everything his family stood for here in the manor, and that would never go away. He could either embrace the grief or settle it with the blood of his enemies. Emeline believed that Adron would take the latter option over the former.

Listening to Adron, Emeline thought of the noble houses. She was rusty of course, as the history of the planet was not common knowledge to her. During her time with Adron, she had only learned so much from him, and could stand to learn more in the future. "Could you perhaps trace the soldier's back to whoever hired them?" asked Emeline. It was a quick solution to a complicated problem, but Emeline wanted to help anyway she could. Adron no doubt had already done this or attempted to. Perhaps she was asking this to fill the air or make herself feel better.

As they entered the study, Emeline noted the rich tapestries and beautiful books. The smell in particular was quite exotic, as paper was hardly ever used by modern libraries or studies. Taking a deep breath while there, Emeline watched Adron dismiss the guard with subtlety. Some would be offended by the captain, but Emeline was not. She was just happy that someone cared for Adron's safety as much as she did. Smiling at the captain as he was dismissed, Emeline followed Adron deeper into the study.

"How could I not come? I didn't know your family well, but they were good to me when I was here." Emeline replied. She remembered that the elder Malvern was not a fan of Emeline's brashness or lust for adventure, but he never let it show. He was always courteous and kind to her, something her own father struggled to do. A sad thing to think, that Adron's family would be cut down while Emeline's brutal father survived out of sheer will and luck.

Hearing his words about revenge, Emeline couldn't help but feel a twinge of anger building in the young count. Her sensitivity to the Force allowed her brief glimpses into the emotional states of others around her, though it did not take a scientist to see that Adron was angry over the senseless slaughter. Hoping to remind him of something important, Emeline replied softly. "The concept of Jedi has changed over the years Adron... I don't blame you for wanting to take revenge against those that did this."

Gazing up at the family portrait, Emeline frowned fully. Such a beautiful piece of art, hung in the perfect spot in the study. It was sad that Adron was the only living Malvern left, and it would too sad to see the whole family destroyed over such senseless violence. "I'm not entirely sure that the people that did this deserve such a quick death..." The words surprised Emeline, but they were hers. During her training as a Legionnaire, she was taught the core value of justice and control. But what justice can come from this senseless violence and chaos? Would it not be prudent to pluck out the very rotten core of Serenno?

[member="Adron Malvern"]

Pulling himself from the distraction of his family portrait Adron turned his attention to Emeline. He took notice of her dress, how it hung from her loosely, yet she looked beautiful even on the saddest of days. "The soldiers disappeared. Guardsmen from The Dominion were sent by their government, apparently their spies caught wind of the assassination. When The Dominion arrived and my security forces were able to break through....the assassins were already gone. The stolen uniforms, weapons, and even all of the security footage. Gone."

The reality of the situation that Adron would have to start at ground zero to find the men who murdered his family. Of course this meant nothing to the boy. it could take days, weeks, months, or even years but he would find them and he would destroy them. Emeline's kind words caused Adron to take her hands into his once again, finding comfort in her presence as much as her words.

"Yes, my father often said you reminded him of my mother." Adron chuckled, glancing back to the family portrait for a moment. "You know my Mother was always considered high-spirited, especially compared to my father."

There was a pause as a knock erupted from the door. "Lord Malvern, your tea?" An aged voice called from the other side of the door.

"Come in, please." Adron returned, moving towards the door as it was opened to him. An older man, short of hair and dressed in a fine black suit, entered the room with his head bowed in deference as he started for the Lord's desk. "Here I'll take it." Adron countered his movements, hoping to relieve him of the burden he carried. A large platter with a tea pot and a set of cups, most likely ginger tea, Adron's favored drink.

The older butler offered Adron the platter before bowing his head and turning out of the room. Adron watched him closely as he exited, his eyes dulled by the man's behavior. "Everyone has been like that....it's depressing." He turned back to set the tea on the desk, pouring two cups as he sat down on the large wooden surface.

"I'm going to find out who did this. I'm going to find them and I'm going to kill them." He started, his eyes showing a strengthened determination.

"I don't just want to do this for revenge. I'm doing this so no one will ever again target my family. They'll know that anyone who touches this house will face their due judgement. That way my son and the son's of my son. will never have to-" He caught himself, realizing that speaking of such things would do nothing for him.

"Anyway. I have a lot of work to do...It's ridiculous. My father had so many opened projects. I have meetings with Christophsis, The Dominion needs to be sent a military representative, the House is in shambles, security needs to be redone. All while still maintaining my Jedi training." He exhaled before holding out a cup of tea to Emeline.

[member="Emeline Thorn"]

Emeline felt the warmth radiating from Adron's hands and smiled. It felt good to feel him this way, to feel the heat that still rose from his skin. She was lucky that he had survived, otherwise Emeline would of arrived on Serenno with hatred in her eyes and a lightsaber blazing in her hands. Keeping her eyes locked to the portrait in front of her, her eyes focused on Adron's mother. A beautiful lady that embodied the grace and excellence of nobility, Emeline could feel the woman's eyes on her. If one could speak to the dead, what would Adron's mother say to her? Take care of her boy? Look after him? Being compared to such a lady made Emeline blush, as she did not see herself even reaching half the woman the matriarch of the family was. "That is high praise, Adron." Emeline replied, being interrupted by the knock at the door.

An elderly man had walked in with tea and was quickly helped by Adron himself. Emeline admitted that she was worried Adron had changed due to the assassination, but it was obvious to her that no such thing had happened. He was still his kind, surly self, and it made Emeline happy. Listening intently and watching the elderly man leave, Emeline replied. "Your family was loved by many people. They are depressed as well, I am sure of it."

Stepping near him as he spoke of retribution and revenge, Emeline took the tea from his hands, her hand lingering on his longer then normal. Ginger tea was a staple of Adron's, and she drank copious amounts of it the last time she was here. It was Adron that introduced her to it, and she made sure to have at least a cup every morning, even when far away from this planet and its nobility. Watching his eyes strengthen made Emeline feel something she had never felt before. As Adron caught himself and changed the subject, Emeline took a small sip of the tea. Its taste was sweet but not overly so, with an earthy taste in the back of it. It was wholesome, something the Malvern family enjoyed she was sure.

"Be careful not to get burned out Adron. Is there anything I can do? To make it easier?" Her words were sincere, and she smiled as she looked into Adron's eyes. The very idea of him burning himself out on all of these responsibilities made her worried for him. It would be a cruel irony for him to be cut down in his health by stress and not blasterfire. She was unsure if she could even help him at this point, but she would still offer her services no matter what.

[member="Adron Malvern"]

Emeline's advice came well received by the young Count. As he sipped at his cup he reveled in the spicy aftertaste that filled his taste buds with pleasure. Letting out a pleasant exhale he turned his attention to the desk before him. "Two meetings with the Kuati before the end of the cycle, three meetings with The Dominion still to be scheduled, oh and there is still the council meetings to attend to. But, If I can take care of all of that this cycle I'll be able to catch up soon."

Setting the cup of tea down for a moment Adron considered something before offering Emeline a soft smile. "Will you spar with me?" He asked, a bit of delight dripping from his voice as he prodded her. A favored past time of the two had been to test their skills with a lightsaber against each other. While Emeline, being the older of the two, generally had the better set of skills Adron was often able to give a convinced defense.

He gestured to his waist with an expression of distaste. "I have no clue where my lightsaber is. We checked them at that damned meeting, probably destroyed. But there are a lot of training sabers in the practice hall. We could use some of those, just like old times."

Not truly waiting for an answer Adron took his cup of tea into his hand as well as took Emeline's hand into his other, making his way towards the door. Though many would consider it poor taste rather than open the door himself he dipped his astral hands into the nether of the Force. A shift of his finger tapped into the terminal, sending the door flying into it's hold. "Come on." He enthused.

[member="Emeline Thorn"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom