Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[[The Greatest Change Project]]: Name Change?

What Shall Be Our New Name?

• Galactic Darkness Organization

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Theocracy of Sorcery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intergalactic Guild of Magi

• Council of Sorcery (explain below)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • SUGGESTION! (comment below)

• Theocratic Dominion of Sorcerers

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Hello, Sorcerers and Sorceresses of the Council of Sorcery!

Recently, we had a discussion about the Greatest Change project. The outcomes can be seen here. We agreed, that until we have a good name change idea, we won't change our name, but... as we will start encouraging the presence of NFUs, we should change our name or otherwise, it's not attracting them at all.

Now I have come up with a few names, but they're more like examples. Of course you can suggest your own names and I will add them to the poll.

Our concept will not change too much until we have a discussion about it. We will be a bunch of Sorcery-related people who have come together to mostly learn and teach the powers of these Magicks, but also to secretly guide the galaxy.

Only the name will change at the moment (and, well, maybe the logo and theme colours, too, I'm not sure yet).

If you choose Council of Sorcery, please explain it below as at the moment, I don't see it quite allowing NFUs as it seems to only allow FUs to the faction.

[member="Abbigail Knight"] | [member="Aiden Clairemont"] | [member="Aluk Magar"] | [member="Aronis Vilgar"] | [member="Asar Anchti"] | [member="Darth Arcis"] | [member="Darth Praelior"] | [member="Drayus Siodmak"] | [member="J0K-R"] | [member="Javir Strilla"] | [member="Jericho"] | [member="Morna Imura"] | [member="Namarii"] | [member="sabrina"] | [member="Sabrina Kotass"] | [member="Særa Ayña Savan"] | [member="Sera Inkari"] | [member="Tirdarius"] | [member="Valentina Clairemont"]

[member="Abbigail Knight"] | [member="Aiden Clairemont"] | [member="Aluk Magar"] | [member="Aronis Vilgar"] | [member="Asar Anchti"] | [member="Darth Arcis"] | [member="Darth Praelior"] | [member="Drayus Siodmak"] | [member="J0K-R"] | [member="Javir Strilla"] | [member="Jericho"] | [member="Morna Imura"] | [member="Namarii"] | [member="sabrina"] | [member="Særa Ayña Savan"] | [member="Sera Inkari"] | [member="Tirdarius"] | [member="Valentina Clairemont"]

This thread (and poll) will stay open until the 15th of June, which is until this upcoming Sunday. Please, if you haven't voted yet, do so, or if you have, post your vote also as a comment. This way, I can get a general overview of what you like. :)

Saera Willamina Savan

~+--- Skaidra ---+~ Beskarsmith, Alchemist
Gather stuff. Get the things the people want. For instance, the Templars have three holocrons and a range of personalized toys and relics.

Give people repetitive tasks. Perhaps, to find some of those things, for example.

This is a big one. Create a major goal. Gain an enemy. Competition, as much as I hate to agree, brings forth activity and creativity. It's like a carrot on a stick. The stick is the rivalry. The carrot is superiority or victory. When neither side can win, you have what's a self-perpetuating cycle. You want that.

Særa Ayña Savan said:
Gather stuff. Get the things the people want. For instance, the Templars have three holocrons and a range of personalized toys and relics.

Give people repetitive tasks. Perhaps, to find some of those things, for example.

This is a big one. Create a major goal. Gain an enemy. Competition, as much as I hate to agree, brings forth activity and creativity. It's like a carrot on a stick. The stick is the rivalry. The carrot is superiority or victory. When neither side can win, you have what's a self-perpetuating cycle. You want that.
You're right. Well, about the items and stuff; there will be 'quests' coming soon, when I get my laptop back. This way, we can gather these things.

But still, at least I think we should change a bit to become more attractive. We shall have fancy graphics, supreme advertisements and stuff. And I doubt we can be cool with such a name. But it's just my opinion. :p

Saera Willamina Savan

I know. I just happen to like our current name plenty. I actually think the one Arcis proposed, while nice, is a bit of a sellout. It's longer than it needs to be; it has three elements; "Theocratic," implying rulership of a deity or divine institute, "Dominion," implying a sovereignty or domain of a dictator or sovereign ruler, and finally "Sorcery," our one true constant and main selling point. Complex names scream "look at me! I need attention!" I understand what you guys are trying to accomplish, only I firmly believe that it's the substance inside that generates interest, not the title forebearing. You'll attract members through the testimonies of others, and the public appearance of power, not the title of it. We desperately need one major objective and a few smaller ones. Those classes we had - get them up and running. Find teachers who will help you. Lastly, you will find difficulty in attracting fresh membership under the ploy of simply giving it a fancy name. Like I stated before, it just looks like it's screaming for attention or inflating itself. Don't be "that other empire;" be unique. Be us. A unique hook is what'll do that job just fine.

Graphics: I will not deny that these attract members, simply because we're apparently extremely visual creatures, us forum lurkers, lol. However, you have to play your cards right and keep up in all other areas. The Horde has fancy graphics, but is still building substance, hence their success is not high.... yet.

Særa Ayña Savan said:
I know. I just happen to like our current name plenty. I actually think the one Arcis proposed, while nice, is a bit of a sellout. It's longer than it needs to be; it has three elements; "Theocratic," implying rulership of a deity or divine institute, "Dominion," implying a sovereignty or domain of a dictator or sovereign ruler, and finally "Sorcery," our one true constant and main selling point. Complex names scream "look at me! I need attention!" I understand what you guys are trying to accomplish, only I firmly believe that it's the substance inside that generates interest, not the title forebearing. You'll attract members through the testimonies of others, and the public appearance of power, not the title of it. We desperately need one major objective and a few smaller ones. Those classes we had - get them up and running. Find teachers who will help you. Lastly, you will find difficulty in attracting fresh membership under the ploy of simply giving it a fancy name. Like I stated before, it just looks like it's screaming for attention or inflating itself. Don't be "that other empire;" be unique. Be us. A unique hook is what'll do that job just fine.

Graphics: I will not deny that these attract members, simply because we're apparently extremely visual creatures, us forum lurkers, lol. However, you have to play your cards right and keep up in all other areas. The Horde has fancy graphics, but is still building substance, hence their success is not high.... yet.
Yeah, name is not the best way to make us attractive, but... It plays a huge role in it. We are unique at the moment, so it's a huge bonus. But for example, a grand name would make us seem more interesting. As you used the Horde as an example, I will do the same.

This name - "The Horde" seems powerful to a person, especially to a WoW fan. That's because it is, to be honest, cool. The name doesn't give too much away, but will get attention. Same goes with the Galactic Republic. Well, it's a canon thing, so the name doesn't matter... Kark. Moving on...

Lords of the Fringe. It has "Lords" in it, so it has to be cool.

Name is the first thing which is seen by a person. If the name is attractive, members may look at it. Then there's the concept, members and activity, but most of the times, at least I see the title before seeing anything else. And that's why I am worried about the name.

This poll will still stay open, though. Let's see what other people think.

Saera Willamina Savan

Maria Zambrano said:
This name - "The Horde" seems powerful to a person, especially to a WoW fan. That's because it is, to be honest, cool. The name doesn't give too much away, but will get attention. Same goes with the Galactic Republic. Well, it's a canon thing, so the name doesn't matter... Kark. Moving on...
Yes, you're rectifying my point; simple names. "The Horde." "The Republic." "The Mandalorians."
I was bringing up the Horde in a negative lighting, by the way, so I don't see why you'd want to compare to them. Yes - we have nice graphics and an established name. We still don't have a sprawling memberbase. My point was to make an example of that to you, silly. :p

Maria Zambrano said:
Lords of the Fringe. It has "Lords" in it, so it has to be cool.
Lords of the Fringe is cool because it has a unique angle, plenty to offer, plenty of freedom. I didn't think twice about joining it the first time around, even with "'Lord' in it."

Maria Zambrano said:
Name is the first thing which is seen by a person. If the name is attractive, members may look at it. Then there's the concept, members and activity, but most of the times, at least I see the title before seeing anything else. And that's why I am worried about the name.
This is true, but it's like my former statement described. I don't look at just the name. Most people don't look at just the name. They take a look in the forums. They see what they can - hopefully most of it is not locked from guest view, because then they can't see what they're getting into - and if they like what they see, they give it a try. You don't judge a book by its cover, and in fact, a few of the strongest factions OOC happen to be the ones with the most simple names.

Anyways, poll thread is poll, so I won't bother on it anymore. :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom