Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Chronicles of Revenge Part 1

Nar Shaddaa

The Smuggler's moon. It was largely a despicable place to be filled with all sorts of criminals and scum. Just the type of people he was looking for. He had arrived on an unmarked ship barely traceable back to some smuggler from the mid rim. The records would show a Marcus Nichols as the passenger. A man in his late twenties in a business suit if anybody bother to ask. Not the most inconspicuous look but it was better for blending in than walking around in Sith robes.

He sat in one of the back booths of a Cantina chosen for the lack of light. He sipped on his drink his back to the wall able to look out into the crowd and see just about anyone as he waited for his contact. He had somebody he need found. Most would just simply hired a Bounty Hunter but he needed this person alive and could only trust the apprehension of his target to himself. Tearing through the galaxy beating and torturing attracted too much attention and that was something he didn't need.

The answer came to him a few weeks ago as he slept. A slicer someone who could tap into records, holofeeds, and do so without being traced. So that is exactly what he was waiting on................ a slicer.

[member="Natalya Thane"]

Natalya normally didn't like to work in the place of black market workers, but when she'd heard of the opportunity she knew that it would challenge her like no other slice she'd ever done and she lived for the thrill and mental challenge of complicated slicing. Besides, she was always hired by companies looking for a security tester and doing the opposite was not something she'd done for a long time.

Somewhat excited, she entered the cantina discreetly and looked for a man who had the air of one expecting somebody. That didn't take her too long, and she strode over to where he sat.

"You're the contractor?" She confirmed.

He sat there with a blank look on his face.

"No I am a businessman.....does this look like a construction site?"

Even so he held a hand out motioning to the seat across from him.

"Shall we get down to business or would you like a drink first?"

He would pause until she made her decision and sat down before he spoke again.

"I need someone located." "Not captured as I intend to do that myself but first I need to know where he is." "Interested?"

[member="Natalya Thane"]

He waited until the approaching waiter set his drink down and departed before he spoke again.

"Do you like stories?" "I like stories......I shall tell you one."

He took a sip of his drink setting it back down.

"Twenty years ago today a three man assassination team broke into the home of an Imperial Army Captain." "Not only was the Captain home but so was his family." "A fight ensued and before it was over two of the three intruders lay dead but so was the Captain." "The third fled the scene before law enforcement arrived."

He paused.

"That third man is who I want you to find, and I will pay well for his location." "It would involve slicing a number of Imperial systems." "Exactly how many I don't know."

[member="Natalya Thane"]

"Well, I can hardly argue if the pay is good," Natalya nodded, although she was secretly thrilled at the prospect of breaking into Imperial systems. "If that's all I need to know, then I'll get started as soon as we leave."
[member="Vengeance"]

He shook his head.

"Not we, you." "I am going to sit here, finish my drink, and then go back to my normal life like this conversation never happened."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a data pad setting it on the table between them.

"Information on where to start and what to look for is on there including what the target looked like at the time."

He paused.

"As far as your fee.................." "A million to get you started, another 3 mil once I have the target in my hands." "An additional 3 if your search turns up a name and location of who hired him............to be paid out once the information is verified."

[member="Natalya Thane"]

Natalya nodded, took the datapad and slipped away. She returned to her apartment on Coruscant and ran to her room, locking the door and setting the security droid she'd built a while ago on patrol.

"Keep everyone out tonight," she told him. "I'm not in the mood for visitors."

Trembling with excitement, she plugged the datapad into her screen. Immediately a holoimage projected rows of text. First, she set up a firewall around the system to hide her slices. Then she encrypted all the text. It was a complex array of symbols only she new the key to, making everything she did that bit safer and given her usual jobs were in maintaining security as opposed to breaking through it, she new all the tricks to avoid their detection. Finally, she turned her attention to the information on the datapad.

The information was scarce, but Natalya was sure she could make do with it. She opened up an Imperial system and began to slice through it. Imperial systems used a very different form of security than was usual, but she'd seen it before - it was similar to a form of security she'd designed herself when she'd been offered an extra large amount to up the security for a company. Unfortunately, she'd designed it very well and she couldn't remember it having any loopholes. But this wasn't the exact same and she knew that she could outsmart the Empire. Characters began to stream from her keyboard as she typed and typed, weaving in and out of the system. It was tough, tougher than anything she'd ever sliced, but that only made her more determined. Finally, an administrator screen popped up. Natalya sighed with satisfaction and leaned back, grinning - it had taken her five hours but it had been worth it. She couldn't sleep now - she'd lose her streak and she'd have to start from scratch.

"Make me a caf," she told her droid. "I'm gonna need it."

She streamed all the information from the datapad into the search system, checking each piece of intel one at a time. It came out negative, so she figured that she'd need higher clearance. The droid returned with a steaming mug of caf.

"Thanks," she said, taking a gulp of the drink. "You know, you really need a name. I'll get on to that right after this."

Creeping around the system, Natalya pushed up her authority level and tried the search again. Still nothing. Suddenly a thought occurred to her - what if the target himself had buried himself inside the system or worse, removed himself from it? Administrator wasn't good enough now - she'd have to dig into the core of the program. No, not just this program - the core of the Imperial technology itself. Now she was really excited.

It took Natalya another seventy-two hours of nearly nonstop slicing - she only ate or took breaks of any kind when it was absolutely necessary - before she made it inside the core of the security system. Breathing heavily, she dug through the code until finally the man in question came up. She punched the air, grinning from ear to ear, and saved the page to the datapad in such a way that you wouldn't have to repeat the slice to open it. Adrenaline still coursing through her, she unplugged the datapad and close everything down - the slice had been invisible to all but the most skilled slicers, and even then it would take them days to track her down and she couldn't imagine they'd have any reason to do so if nobody thought they were looking for anything. It was then that she realised she couldn't contact [member="Vengeance"] to tell him she had succeeded. Shrugging it off, she searched through the datapad's digital footprint to find him and send out the message 'Same time, same place tonight.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom