Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Burden of Duty (New Exarch Inauguration)

The council had debated, the council had chosen.

The vote had ended a landslide, and now the new Exarch of Eriadu needed to be inaugurated. That new Exarch was...Siobhan Kerrigan?
It may have surprised some, for whom the reputation of the Sword of the Protectorate was as a battering ram which smashed enemies (and occasionally allies) into dust.
Tegaea Alcori knew different.

The new Lady Protector knew that she was just a little biased in her views, but she trusted Siobhan, and hoped that she would rise to this challenge. She believed in her.

And now, the Lady Protector was being dressed in her semi-regal regalia. It was red, not unlike the red dress she had for special occasions.
"The crowds will be gathering," Anya said, securing Tegaea's ruby necklace around her neck.
"Is Siobhan ready?"
"I'll go check on her."
"Please. Make sure she's dressed appropriately as well. No combat boots. And make sure the guests have enough liquor."
"Of course, Protector."
"I could get used to that," Tegaea said with a smile.

@[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

"I look foolish in this," Siobhan declared with a huff as she stared in the mirror and her reflection stared back at her. That of Exarch Siobhan Kerrigan. There were so many things wrong about this that she did not even know where to start.

It should have been...someone else. Someone whose sole expertise did not lie in causing property destruction and killing things. Admittedly she was good in bed as well...but that was obviously of little use.

Someone who was not married to the new Lady Protector. Siobhan had no doubts about her wife's qualifications. Tegaea had not wanted the role, once the Protectorate was secure they should have retired to the beach house. But she did not imagine anyone else being worthy of the title. Tegaea would see them through and Siobhan would be at her side.

But not like this.

It seemed like a bad Corellian Fools' Day joke for her, yet it was real.

Tegaea was the leader, she followed her. It should have been...why could Anya not do it? She had been Tegaea's right hand from the start, her adviser. And she had saved lots of people on Zonyu V, that was good for marketing! Besides, she was a Princess. Everyone loved Princesses! Even cynical republicans like Siobhan. Or, hell, Allaina should do it, but sadly she was no longer here!

But...Siobhan had promised to help Tegaea.

For this occasion Siobhan wore her blue dress uniform, immaculate and pressed to the crisp. She had successfully resisted any attempt to wear the knee-length skirt and so the uniform was finished off by pants and high black boots, polished to perfection. Against her own inclination she had allowed herself to be persuaded to display her commendations for the inaugaration and so epaulets and braids adorned her shoulders, medals and pins were neatly aligned on her left breast. Her viciously scarred features showed just how she had earned them. Her military accomplishments. She had done nothing to earn this. A hold-out blaster was attached to her side and her lightsabre was proudly displayed on her belt.

"Like some tinpot Imp warlord trying to compensate for something," she muttered to herself.

"Don't be silly, you look great, Exarch," her ever loyal and occasionally trolling secretary Mara, dressed in an elegant women's business suit with a skirt and stockings, assured her, giving her a pat on the shoulder. "Very official."

"Don't...don't call me that. Just don't," Siobhan responded a bit gruffly, then sighed. "It's wrong and you know it. Everyone knows it. But gotta do your duty and all that. Do I really have to give a bloody speech?" she asked nervously, wiping her slightly sweaty hands on a piece of tissue.

"You did quit well in that 'Why We Fight' holovid. You actually have a holonet fanclub right now. Tell them you will assume direct and direct this personally!" Mara quipped, whereupon Siobhan glared at her before her shoulders slumped in defeat and resignation towards the inevitable.

At this moment Anya entered the room and Mara gave her a look. "Greetings, Princess. You have come just at the right moment. Her nerves are going into overdrive."

"I'm not nervous," Siobhan said sharply. Nervous was not strong enough a word - she was terrified. Why could she not go face a dragon? Or a Primarch? Or get dumped on Myrkr and forced to fight beasts without the aid of her powers. While Mandalorians with jetpacks and missile launchers hunted her. That would be a hell of a lot easier. "I need a frakking drink."

"Why is the lum gone?"

"Don't be puerile, Merrill," said some ODF officer or other. Frankly, Jorus couldn't remember half their names. A goodly portion of ODF had grown up since he'd gone out to the Rim. The men he'd served with at Eriadu and Denon had ranks and assignments that took them elsewhere, all across the vasty nothingness. His peers were superiors, his men peers.

He'd found, and quickly too, that some folks didn't remember him too fondly for running off to find his fortune. Not like most of'em were cleared to know the work he'd done on the Protectorate's behalf, letting Ayden run his monitor satellites down the Merrill, or giving the Empire's finest some good solid financial reasons to stay friendly with Omega. But even if they were cleared, he had no real need to prove himself valuable.

He shrugged and snagged a glass of something from its tray. The glass vanished pretty quick. "Matter of supply and demand, Captain. If the lum's gone, seems there's more than a few here that seek for a puerile drink or two. And now it's Exarch Kerrigan that we follow, so I'd say the simpler pleasures just got a little legitimacy."

He wandered off, swapped out the glass for another, and prayed for a brief social function.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
@[member="Jorus Merrill"]
"Exarch Kerrigan, is that not something?"
Electronic drawl would catch Jorus as from the crowd next to him emerged the tall figure of the armored droid.
For a rather large being, the machine had a way of appearing out of nowhere sometimes
"I do wonder if she will exchange the bolter for a datapad of reports and finances."
HK turned towards the entrance from which the new Exarch was supposed to be enter from and become inaugurated.
Did HK trusted Siobhan? Of course he did, he would go with her into the hellfire itself, but did he believed she would have been the best material for an Exarch. Actually, he didn't.
He calculated Siobhan's place to be a battlefield, and there was no way the Protectorate would allow her to visit the frontlines still as an Exarch, what would happen if she was grievously injured as she often did, or what if she perished? The Protectorate could not afford for an Exarch to die, Kerrigan would most likely end up behind a desk.

And HK will be stuck in the battles without her there.

He snapped out of his calculations, looking back to Jorus
"So, how are the kids?"
The droid changed the subject, plus he was slightly curious, Jorus and him did not speak that much

Noah Corek

Cocked, Locked and a Smoking Barrel
Factory Judge
@[member="HK-36"] @[member="Jorus Merrill"]
"My question is: Who's gonna to lead the Pyre now that the Colonel is a Exarch?" Noah asked as he walked up behind the other man and HK,a droid Noah considered a friend. "Personally the biggest bet is on Castillon,she's the Colonels XO,so it would make sense. But who is going to be her XO?"

Dressed in military finery, Delila let her blue-green gaze take in the Omega Protectorate social event of the season. At least it was the event of the season for the non-social Major. She was here to support her close friend and superior on the day of her taking position as Exarch. It was only fitting for Kerrigan to step up and take over such a role. The Colonel...well...Exarch's wife was in a high position and the pair were considered a 'power couple' throughout the territory. Only a matter of time before such a position was given to Siobhan.

Groups of her fellow soldiers had gathered but Delila chose to politely ignore them for now. The rumor mill hadn't stopped swirling on the potential rise to the rank of Colonel. For the most part Dells had been refusing to pay attention to the talk. Many qualified personnel were scattered throughout Omega Protectorate. Those with more experience and loyalty. Real leaders who deserved a real chance. Who the hell would follow an explosive happy, claustrophobic Colonel into battle? Not her.

Shaking off the thoughts, Delila hit up the open bar. The only thing that made such events bearable. Hopefully her liver would cooperate. The medics had been keeping a close eye on her but everything was running smoothly. Better than before even.

"Idlewil liquor on the rocks"

Soon, she had her back to the bar, drinking her liquor and watching the crowds float by. Sooner or later she'd have to seek out Siobhan for the congratulations.

"Daughter's good, HK, thanks for askin' -- and yeah, Corek, Dells'd be the choice. She's a little busy these days, uh, from what I hear." No point in talking Rebellion around here. Jorus grimaced and sipped his drink. "Not sure I could say who'd ready for the job. Little out of the loop these days. Oh, there she is." He raised his glass to @[member="Delila Castillon"] across the room.

HK-36

@Jorus Merrill @[member="Noah Corek"]
HK nodded in agreement
"Major Castillon most likely, although whoever Exarchs and the Protector choose will be up for the position, I am sure."
He motioned around
"We are the Protectorate, it is not like I would not give my vessel into the fire for anyone gathered here."
He nodded again
"I have been offered kindness when I joined the Protectorate, I will respond in kindness to my comrades. And I trust Major, on battle and otherwise."

He folded his arms at his waist
"You guys heard that the Sith were planning on closing the Maw or something?"
He shook his head
"Crazy bastards."

@[member="Jorus Merrill"] | @[member="HK-36"] | @[member="Noah Corek"]

Spotting Jorus with her Bladedancing instructor and Corek, Delila raised her glass in response and gave a brief nod. She never knew what to do at these things. Shouldn't Siobhan be making rounds soon? Or a speech? Any longer and the Major would be knocking them back like there was no tomorrow. It had been some time since she had alcohol after all.

Noah Corek

Cocked, Locked and a Smoking Barrel
Factory Judge
@[member="HK-36"] @[member="Jorus Merrill"] @[member="Delila Castillon"]
"Their what!?" Noah asked a little loud as HK told them what the Sith were planning. "Are they insane? You can't just 'close' the Maw. Crazy bastards indeed." Noah said as he walked towards the bar. "Corellian Whiskey and Sullustan Gin,mixed,please." Noah told the bartender. He looked over and gave a polite nod to the Major.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
Anya entered the room and could see immediately that Siobhan was lying. The new Exarch to be was uncertain in such formal occasions, just as Anya was in a full scale battle. Still, despite her reputation for trolling, Anya was Siobhan’s friend.

“I’ll see you get one, Siobhan,” she said. She picked a speck of lint off her coat. “Ready? It’s all pretty simple. If you want I can talk to you through your earpiece if you need to.”
And because trolls die hard, “I live to serve you, Exarch,” she said with a grin.

@[member="Anya Venari"]

Siobhan glared at her. Normally she would have tried to make a witty comeback - and would have probably lost because Anya was simply better at trolling - but she was not in a good mood. Doubts assailed her, her nerves were going into overdrive.
"Look, Anya, I'm not in the mood. We both know why I agreed to this." Because she had promised to help Tegaea after having leaned on her for so long and she had a big guilt complex over Metalorn. Guilt, a selfish emotion. She was not meant to rule from an office.

Who no longer understood her. But at the same time Tegaea had put up with her, put her back together so often, always had her back. "And why I got the job." It would look good for marketing to have a 'patriotic hero' or some other nonsense at the helm. Just leave out the war crimes and all. Or the fact that she revelled in carnage and destruction. Besides she was married to the Protector, even though to be fair Tegaea had not campaigned on her behalf.
On the flip side perhaps this position would enable her to do more for the Protectorate's defences. She managed a smile, apparently realising that whatever her issues might be, taking it out on her friend was unfair. "I'm sorry. I appreciate all your help. Let's get this show on the road and all that. Probably need lots of drinks before the day's over." While endowed with a high alcohol tolerance, Siobhan might be a bit too eager to resort to the bottle in stress situations.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
Anya looked a little hurt at first from @[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]’s harsh words. Easy going as she was, what Siobhan and Tegaea said to her mattered.
She was mollified by her later words a bit though.
“It’s alright, I was a bit grumpy before Kaeshana. I’ll get you some booze…but not too much. Can’t have you slurring your speech. And by the way, here it is,” she added, handing over a datapad for Siobhan to take.

The speech was the usual platitudes about thanking the council, promising to do a good job, etc. etc. Anya had composed an alternative speech but not dared given it over now she saw how upset Siobhan was.
The alternative speech was much shorter and simply stated. “Right, now I’m Exarch I’m going to kill all the Bando Gora, Sith and slavers, and you lot can either help me or piss off. Also, I’ll need a pair of blue Twi’leks….”

She’d show her afterwards.

@[member="Tegaea Alcori"], @[member="Anya Venari"], @[member="Delila Castillon"], @[member="Jorus Merrill"], @[member="HK-36"], @[member="Noah Corek"]

"I think better when I'm not sober," Siobhan insisted to the Eldorai, quickly downing a glass of whiskey after an aide was so helpful to bring it to her. Her throat suddenly felt so much better, though she still felt she could use more than a glass. She did not have a drinking problem at all.

She looked at the datapad Anya had given her and frowned. It contained simple platitudes about thanking a bunch of faceless politicians whose opinion she honestly did not give a crap about - she seemed to ignore the fact that her wife was a politician - promising to do a good job and nobly serve the people. There was some line about guaranteeing full employment and...something about inalienable rights, whatever that was. It sounded like the speech writer had a problem with aliens. Or perhaps with humans. Anyway there was nothing of a personal note inside it. But she could not quite figure out what to say concisely without sounding foolish. She knew what she wanted to try to do, but putting it in words another matter. Moreover, frankly she loathed public speaking.

"The new Exarch of Eriadu, Siobhan Kerrigan," an officer with a booming voice announced, obviously at a prearranged signal. At least there were no trumpets. Siobhan bloody hated trumpets.

She passed countless guests - politicians, military commanders, nobles, apparently quite a few ladies from Kaeshana was in attendance. She caught a glance of Queen Silaqui, standing regal and haughty in her elegant dress, and Siobhan could not resist winking at her. It had been some time since she had been able to connect with her!

She caught sight of Delila...as far as Siobhan was concerned her successor at the Pyre. At this stage she could not know about the talk between them would go, she smiled when she Jorus had returned from...well, she was not entirely sure where he had been, but was happy nonetheless, though it made her wonder what he would think. HK was entertaining guests...then finally she saw Tegaea and stopped for a moment dead as she beheld her, standing tall and proud, every inch the glorious Queen. The sheer confidence she exuded made Siobhan feel childish with her doubts.

Finally she reached the podium and stopped in, gazing upon the crowd, uncertainty written over her face. She felt a strong craving for another drink. Or a bloody cigarette. Perhaps both. Why could not a horde of Bando Gora crash the party? Or perhaps Sith assassins. Eyes travelled across the crowd and she stretched out with her senses, but nothing happened!

"T-thank you everyone," she began in a slow, hesitant voice, hands clenched though out of sight. "By vote of the Council and order of the Protector, I, Siobhan Kerrigan, am Exarch of Eriadu. I, uh, thank the Council for their...trust and promise," then she stopped, no words leaving her lips, "this is a load of crap," she muttered to herself and just let the datapad drop down.

"This is not a job I sought or would have ever expected to get, I've been a soldier all my life....but I...know the threats we face. Bando Gora cultists, Sith, whatever beasts come out of the unknown regions. Just a couple days ago one of our planets was vaporised. We cannot rest on our laurels or trust in galactic peace. People who blindly trust get swept aside...and we've been complacent and expected an easy life for far too long," she paused before continuing, taking a deep breath.

"Cira is gone...that's hit us hard, leaves a hole, but she'd want us to go forward. So we will find the Bando Gora homeworld...crush them and raze it to the ground. Like we will beat anyone who tries to force their way of life on us, Sith or otherwise. Just like we'll find those responsible for what happened at Rhommamool. People...call us warmongers, I say we don't want war, but we're ready. The Protectorate's not perfect, nothing is, but it brought order from chaos. So from this moment on...I am assuming direct control," she naturally ended with a dramatic line. It always worked for Aurelia! But she steadfastly refused to use light metaphors. Those had always sounded lame to her.

HK-36

@[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]
"T-thank you everyone,"
When Kerrigan spoke out those words loud metallic clapping could be heard followed in by a cheer
"Yay, Kerrigan!"
"this is a load of crap,"
More metallic clapping followed as HK nodded
"Damn right it is, come back to army where the excitement is at."
He muttered.
HK stayed quite for the rest of the speech more or less, applauding from time to time, until the part.
"I am assuming direct control,"
He raised a glass he had for some reason, calling out in toast,
"That is what Maellion said!"
Some heads turned then to him as he quickly began applauding more
"Yay, Kerrigan, yay!"
People were quickly distracted with the applause and cheering as he looked around with shifty photoreceptors, keeping his head down

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
Anya had paused, watching as @[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] began. Then, that old spark came out and she spoke her mind. It was certainly more entertaining than what she had written for Siobhan to say!

She clapped when it was over, genuinely impressed. People in the room seemed pretty pleased too, all things considered. It wasn't every day that someone spoke their mind.
When Siobhan left the stage she patted her on the shoulder.
"Nice work! Now, let's go to the buffet!" She was an Eldorai after all.

Hevana Martin

Hair-triggered Super Soldier
From the crowd, Hevana watched with a smirk as her friend stepped up to give the speech. Oh she knew Siobhan had no interest in the position, the Sergeant knew the feeling fell... which was why she was still a sergeant. Still, the Protectorate needed leaders that had been in the dirt and covered in blood as they defended their country. Soldiers rarely made the best politicians, but when it was time for war there was truly no one better to have in a leadership position. Paperwork could be delegated, leadership in a crisis could not.

"I, for one, welcome our new battering ram overlord," she said loudly.

Clapping along with the rest of the crowd, Delila thought the speech was excellent for Siobhan. The woman was never one for speeches. Some had the flair for the dramatic within the Protectorate for war time speeches. Kerrigan and herself were not those types. However, the other woman would have to make many,many more. Good thing she wasn't Exarch. If she thought about it too much there would certainly be a headache.

Refraining from the hooting and hollering, Delila slowly made her way to @[member="HK-36"]

"Whats with the shifty eyes?" She said quietly, only hoping something was brewing to make this event more interesting.

@[member="Anya Venari"]

Political speeches were not expected to have substance. Content was always dangerous because then people got the expectation of their leaders living up to promises. 'Dramatic' slogans were always appreciated. Naturally a soldier's first instinct would be to say they needed bigger guns, but then these were actually needed in this case. This meant new burdens on the shoulders of the Eriaduan taxpayer, but would surely create jobs!

Regardless Siobhan flushed slightly as she stepped down from the podium, smiling shyly. It had been...easier than she had thought, all things considered. "Thanks. An elf's first stop, the buffet! You and Hevana would get on," she trolled, gazing over at the crowd. "Didn't think it would work. Where's Tegs?"

HK-36

@[member="Delila Castillon"]
HK looked to Delila, giving her a faint nod
"Perhaps I did not wanted you or Moira to hear my comment about Maellion so that your heart would not be broken?"
He looked back to the balcony
"Well, the Colonel became a Kerrigan now, but from the looks of it, she is no closer to growing up than my son was when he was a Padawan."
He looked back to Delila
"I guess you are up for a seat as Colonel, excited?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom