Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Talisman of Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.
steampunk_moss_agate_ring_by_catherinetterings.jpg

Image Source: [ x ]
Intent: An attempt to explain/replicate the Dathomiri ability to "conjure" items.
Development Thread: If Required
Manufacturer: The Witchmasters, House Verd
Model: Talisman of Calling
Affiliation: Witchmasters, Mandalorian Knights
Modularity: No
Production: Semi-Unique
Material: Zersium, Jade
Description: The Mist is a logical conclusion that can be drawn from Dathomiri thought regarding the Spirit Realm. As one of the key sources of their power, it is said that this plane of existence houses beings of power that aide shamans in their magicks. However, notable practitioners have demonstrated the ability to beckon more than ethereal beings from the Spirit Realm — such as physical weapons. The Mist, then, is considered a "subplane" of the Spirit Realm, where items of the physical world can be suspended and beckoned.

The Talisman of Calling, therefore, is an attempt by the Alchemist-turned-Mand'alor Isley Verd to harness this plane of existence.

To begin, a "sacrifice" is required. An item, crafted via Force-centric techniques, is swallowed by the Mist during the Talisman's creation. (This process, as with all Force-centric crafting, can range from several minutes to days depending upon the skill of the crafter.) As a result, the Talisman and item are bonded thenceforth, enabling the former to beckon the later in a matter of seconds. This is accomplished by means of an incantation, which can be uttered verbally or otherwise.

Advantages:
  • A wearer of the Talisman is always - discreetly - armed.
  • The weight of a ring is vastly lighter than that of most items.
  • Only the item is linked to the Talisman, meaning anyone knowing the incantation can beckon it.
Limitations:
  • An item "sacrificed" to the Talisman can only exist in the physical realm for two hours at a time. When returned to the Mist, the item cannot be beckoned again until two hours pass.
  • A Talisman can only be bonded to a single item — choose wisely.
  • Only Force-crafted items can be utilized. Attempts to "sacrifice" mundane items will simply result in their being lost.
  • Ysalamir Fields disrupt the intermediary process, resulting in the item's premature return to the Mist.
  • Destruction of the Talisman results in the item's being lost. Permanently. Likewise, damage to the item is not undone upon returning to the Mist — when it's destroyed, it's destroyed.
Primary Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talzin's_sword (Inspiration)

Hi there [member="Isley Verd"]! I'll be reviewing this.

I loved the Witches of Dathomir in TCW and wish they had a bigger presence in the series.
  • Is the talisman able to theoretically conjure an infinite number of items if sacrificed?
  • If so, can only one item be returned through the Mist at a time?
  • To be clear to future readers, if the conjured item (Not the talisman) is destroyed in the physical world does it return to the Mist?
  • How long does it take to supply a sacrifice before the item is ready for use, and how long does it take to conjure back?
  • If other people are familiar with the incantation, are they able to summon the objects if wearing the talisman?
  • An item that is returned to the mist, can it be recalled immediately? Or is there a period of rest?
Times don't need to be exact, but a generalization of either several seconds, several minutes, hours, days, etc would suffice to give an idea. I just want to eliminate the future potential for headaches.

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Ayyyy!

I've added the following clarifications: (on mobile so I can't quote, forgive me)

"A Talisman can only be bonded to one item — choose wisely."

"Damage to the item is not undone upon returning to the Mist — when it's destroyed, it's destroyed." (So, for example, if a knife is broken in two while in use, returning it to the Mist does not mystically repair it. It will return as a broken knife. An item will always return in the state that it was sent, even if it's reduced to literal ash.)

"This process, as with all Force-centric crafting, can range from several minutes to days depending upon the skill of the crafter." & "Enabling the former to beckon the latter in a matter of seconds." (Takes awhile to make, but has almost immediate results.)

"Only the item is linked to the Talisman, meaning anyone knowing the incantation can beckon it."

"When returned to the Mist, the item cannot be beckoned again until two hours pass."

I do believe that's everything Lady Swift :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom