Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Specter Bomber

Status
Not open for further replies.
22395270811_a2820d0914_b.jpg

Image Source: Star Citizen
Affiliation: Open Market
Manufacturer: Phenex Industries
Model: Specter Bomber
Modularity: Easy to install personal modifications, Torpedo Bay to Cargo Hold, Removable Turret, Lasers to Ion Cannons.
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel
Classification: Bomber
Length: 22m
Height: 8m
Width: 22m

Armament: 2 Laser Cannons
2 Turreted Laser Cannons
4 Sparrow Hawk Missiles
4 Concussion Missiles

Squadron Count: 4

Special Features: Heavy Shields, Long Range Sensors, Safety Systems, Multi-spectrum Projector.

Maneuverability Rating: 6
Speed Rating: 6
Hyperdrive Class: 2 (3 civilian)

Strengths: Versatile, hard-hitting, good defense
Weaknesses: Slow, large, not stealthy

Description: This bomber was designed with two goals in mind, 1) Appeal to the public & 2) Be able to carry and deploy the Sparrow Hawk missile into combat. Obviously the Sparrows would be of little use to civilian traffic, so the bomb bay was converted into a cargo hold, the turret was removed, and the cockpit was lengthened so passenger and pilot were on the same level. The hyperdrive was also reduced in speed to further increase its affordability. However, all the ship's secondary and supporting systems were left intact as dictated by Phenex's dedication to durability and safety making the Specter one of the toughest ships on the civilian market for its size class.

On the military version the turret is there to provide defensive fire to the rear and sides against interceptors and incoming munitions. The gunner also has access to the bomber's sensors and communications as well as targeting allowing them to act as RIO for the pilot or to help pin-point targets for missile attack. Without a gunner the turret is given over to an auto-fire controller or slaved forward and linked to the main laser cannons, and while still operable without a gunner, the pilot now has more to divide their attention.

As in the company's previous bomber, non-standard safety systems were installed to prevent chain explosions from destroying the ship outright and include resetting overload breakers, fire suppressant systems throughout the ship's body, and an auto-ejection system should these fail. Unlike the Ghost, the payload isn't auto-ejecting as the fighter-grade missiles are carried on the wings and away from the body of the ship and the Sparrow Hawks are inert until armed (not that they'd clear the blast radius regardless). Chaff and flares are also standard to boost defense against incoming warheads alongside a full-spectrum distortion projector similar to the one equipped to the A-wings. Which while effective at stopping target acquisition by point defense and missiles, is like holding a rave party on senor scans, they're going to know you're there.

Development Thread: N/A
Intent: To create a versatile and fun platform for the Sparrow Hawk Missiles.
Who Can Use This: People that buy it.
More Images:
Civilian Versions
Gladiator_InFlight_Hobbins.png

Source

Gladiator_Rough_Ortho_Hobbins-1024x576.png

Source

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Domino"]

Domino said:
Classification: Bomber
Please change this to Gunship

Reason: A bomber is allowed 6 weapons at mass production. A gunship 12.

Domino said:
Armament: 2 Heavy laser Cannons 2 Turreted Laser Cannons 4 Sparrow Hawk Missiles 4 Missiles
OK lets break this down.
2 heavy laser cannons would be 4 guns
2 turreted laser cannons 2 guns
4 sparrowhawk missiles
As these are ship mounted this is a stretch. These are 5 meter long missiles.
As a heavy warhead is 15 meters is I figure these would be 1/3 a heavy warhead.
I have to insist we round up on this so as a heavy = 4 standard warheads I think these would be = to 2 standard missiles.
SO 4 x 2 = 8
Basiclly this would be like 2 heavy warhead launchers with 2 missiles each.
then 4 more missiles... what kind? are these normal concussion missiles? either way lets call this 1 launcher
so were looking at
4+2+8+1 =15
Thats a bit much.

You can remove the 4 missiles and make the heavy lasers normal lasers and get you back to 12.
Make it minor production and make the heavy lasers normal lasers and keep the 4 missles
Or you can make it limited production and keep the heavy lasers but still lose the 4 missiles.

Domino said:
full-spectrum distortion projector
Your link is to the ANq 3.6 PLease re word this to indicate that.

Reshmar said:
[member="Domino"]

Please change this to Gunship

Reason: A bomber is allowed 6 weapons at mass production. A gunship 12.

4 sparrowhawk missiles
As these are ship mounted this is a stretch. These are 5 meter long missiles.
  • I'm a bit confused on why you're asking me to make this a gunship, as you've so handily pointed out this ship and bombers both only carry six guns. Unless you're thinking converting guns to missiles?
While intended to be carried in specialized missile bays, during development it was discovered that with a few minor changes to the design that were soon implemented, two Sparrow Hawks could be fitted into each of a bomber's missile/torpedo tubes.
  • This is straight from the Sparrowhawk's submission (which I'm grateful Bianca made me include) As you can see from the submission, the Specter caries a specialized missile bay large enough to be converted into a cargo hold. This is also why the ship is nearly quadruple the size of other fighters/bombers.
  • Good catch on the ANq, didn't mean to use that link a second time. The first link it was used in was just to give an indication of what capabilities the RIO might have at his disposal.
  • I'll edit the blank missiles into concussion, I was planning on leaving them open for customization but that might be a bit much.
  • Dropped production to Minor.
I'm really hesitant to drop the missiles or the guns and would ask you to reconsider. As a whole, yes this is a rather powerful ship. However the squadron count means that at the most you'll only ever have 1/3 the number of ships you could have if you went with another ship. Way I see it, that should let me go over a little bit, otherwise what's the point of having a third of the ships as the other guy?
[member="Reshmar"]

ADM. Reshmar

@Domino
The issue is not with the MIssiles its the other 7 guns worth of weapons that pushes this over.
Calling it a bomber gets you 6 weapons at mass production
You get more warheads per launcher but it is still 6.
Calling it a gunship gets you 12 weapons as mass production
WIth less warheads per launcher of course.

IN your submission you never layed out an equivalent to a standard missile. So I have to go by how big these are to a standard missile to gauge how they can fit on a craft this size. You could put 2 launchers with 2 missiles each per your submission

so saying they are 2 normal launchers with 2 missiles each that would be
2 heavy lasers 4
2 laser cannons 2
2 launchers with 2 sparrowhawk warheads each 2
1 missile launcher with 4 standard missiles 1
that is still 9 weapons and a bomber at mass production is allowed 6

With it being 4 per squadron we can let a bit slide.

Make the heavy lasers normal lasers bringing the total guns down to 7. Still call it a bomber. keeping it at Mass production.

How does that sound?

You are over-complicating this.

You say I'm six for six on the guns, lets leave it at that and look at the missiles.
At two Sparrows per normal, non bomb bay, tube that gives us four on a regular bomber.
Leaving just 4 unassigned missiles that push it over the normal amount. Minor production (which I've already done) and reduced squadron count cover these.

Do you understand my thinking or am I wrong?
[member="Reshmar"]

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Domino"]

Reshmar said:
Make the heavy lasers normal lasers bringing the total guns down to 7. Still call it a bomber. keeping it at Mass production.
this is as good as I can go for compromising or you could make it limited production and keep it as is.

Reshmar said:
Reason: A bomber is allowed 6 weapons at mass production

OK lets break this down.
2 heavy laser cannons would be 4 guns
2 turreted laser cannons 2 guns
-.- Really? [member="Reshmar"]
What did I just say about keeping the guns to the guns and the missiles to the missiles?

[member="Spencer Varanin"] [member="Cira"]

Am I being an idiot with the numbers and missing something, or am I making sense in this post? I get the feeling that we're both saying very similar things but the official breakdown above is just too confusing to follow and is muddying things up.

I need help understanding what I'm being told beyond the 'do this' bit because I like to understand the reasons why. I also feel that continuing to ask the current judge will just get more of the confusing numbers or a 'denied for arguing' sticker which I'm trying to not do.

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Domino"]

Domino said:
What did I just say about keeping the guns to the guns and the missiles to the missiles?
OK lets keep guns to guns and missiles to missiles

A bomber is allowed 4 laser or ion weapons and 2 warhead launchers with 8 warheads each.

your heavy laser cannons are heavy and are 2x normal lasers so thats 4 laser or ion weapons (2 cannons x 2 for heavy)
your laser turrets are 1 eac so thats 2 laser ot ion weapons (2 canons)

this is too many for the laser or ion canon.
drop the heavy laser canons to normal laser cannons

2 warhead launchers and as per your submission have 2 of the sparrowhawk missiles each. Thats 2 warhead launchers

So there is no room for the third launcher

there is no room for the rest of the missiles.

I was attempting to allow you more than the limit as I understand the intent of the craft, It is 3 per squadron, and Its big

Ok, earlier you were repeatedly saying six total which made me think the rules had changed and was causing some of the confusion. Also the four extra would be half a launcher at 8 per... but! Now I understand. Lasers dropped from heavy to regular.
[member="Reshmar"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom