Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Space Stations?

So basically what are the guidelines for owning Space Stations. I had assumed they fell under ships, but am being told otherwise, so I would like to know what they are.

Rules for Starship Ownership and Development.
General Rules

1. An individual character may not own a ship greater than 400 meters in length. Ships over 400 meters must be owned by a Faction (Major or Minor), and may be captained by the character, but in case of leaving will not go with them without exceptional circumstances and faction administrator approval.

2. Ships at or above 1,000 meters will always require a development thread. Minimum: 10 posts, 1 writer.

3. Ships at or above 1,700 meters will always require a development thread. Minimum: 20 posts, 2 writers.

4. Ships at or above 2,400 meters will always require a development thread. Minimum: 30 posts, 3 writers.

5. Space Stations at or above 1,000 meters will always require a development thread. Minimum: 40 posts, 3-4 writers

Minor Faction Rules

1. Minor factions are permitted unique, PC-captained ships up to a length of 1,000 meters

Major Faction Rules

1. Major Factions are permitted unique, PC-captained ships up to a length of 3,000 meters.

Company Rules

1. Mass producing any starship will require substantial proof of income by way of development thread, higher tier company, or Minor/Major Faction involvement.
2. To produce a ship over 1,000 meters in length, a company must be Tier 3 or higher.
3. Companies may own and operate a realistic amount of non-combat starships where maximum length per ship = ( Tier Number x 1000 ) / 2

4. Companies may own and operate a realistic amount of combat starships where maximum length per ship = ( Tier Number x 1000 ) / 3 and maximum fleet length = ((Tier Number x 1000) x (Tier Number)) / 2
This link is where Tef said you could go outside the Template within Reason given enough work that is
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/62109-clarification-on-template-limitations/

This one is a privately owned Space Station (Albeit it could be owned by a T6 Company) and is 3800 meters, which begs the question, is there a limitation?
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/52580-titan-station/?hl=%2Balric+%2Bkuhn

The question put simply is do the Limitations regarding starship ownership (IE Personal Ships can only be 400 Meters or less, a T5 Company can own a 2500 meter civilian ship or less) apply to Space Stations, and if not, what would the limitations be in regards to size?

I think there should be limits to how much a company can stake claim to as far as size of space stations go, but I don't think a 2500 Mass produced (or unique "flagship"-esque ship) is comparable to a 2500 meter floating space station. A civilian/corporate station, like the Tion Trade Nexus, that is supported by multiple companies and a large amount of development should be permitted - just these should be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Try to sub a flagship in the form of a space station? Handle it then, not now.

Space stations and starships have two very different roles, and rarely will a space station be used as a reliable form of defense for a planet/fleet or (if ever) as any form of offensive measure. Starships tend to be used in fleet confrontations, much unlike space stations, and serve a more offensive and defensive role in any battle, a space station generally is only defending itself and its contents.

Do I think a tier 2 should be able to produce a 1000 m station without any outside help and/or funding? No.

Do I think a tier 5 would be incapable of producing a 3000 meter unique trade station? No.

Edit:
Here are a list of all approved space stations over 3000 meters I could find/remember off the top of my head and with a quick search.

I'm of the same mindset that stations and starships are a different beast.

We can look at them on a case by case basis based on dev threads requirements ( 4 writers for over 1k) , company size, is it MF sponsored, sponsored by minor? Sponsored by many companies?

I think all of these come into play with stations, especially as Braith said, they fulfill different roles.

The other irritating things are twofold:

• People can submit space stations to the Codex and Tef has ruled that we don't have to make them have a factory sub first.
  • There's several kinds of stations. Military stations obviously fit into the guidelines above, but non-military stations such as Cloud City (or the submitted Libertalia above) don't easily fit into the same categories.

In an effort to get past this mess I've been allowing people to submit civilian stations which are unarmed to the Codex Locations, but pushing military ones over to here.

People can set themselves up an King of Planet Bob if they wish. Civilian stations are analogous to this in my mind. I don't see why it should have a rule associated with it.

Civilian stations should go through the Codex as locations, if they want to define the model of a militarised station it should go through the factory first.

I would say if you want to define the armaments of a spacestaion within a sub, it needs to go through the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom