Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Soul-Steel (Factory Lore Challenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
aaae8f5d2a364927e452807d35132a16.jpg

Image Source: Master Sword (Legend of Zelda), Rise of Iron Trailer (Destiny)

Intent: Factory Lore Challenge Submission
Invasion Commemoration: Mandalorian Invasion of Sith Empire's Dromund Kass
Development Thread: Mandalorian Invasion of Dromund Kaas, Chicken Little; Pt 01,

Manufacturer: Mandalorian Smiths and Craftsmen
Model: NA
Affiliation: Mandalorians, Mandalorian Clans, Mandalorian Crusaders,
Modularity: Limited (may be mixed with other metals and alloys)
Production: Limited Production
Material: Mandalorian Steel made of Iron pulled from unique Meteorite Fragments

Description:
Originally created by accident, Soul-Steel is an abnormal mutation of Mandalorian Steel that occurs when a smith uses refined meteoric iron from Dromund Kaas instead of common iron ores. While Soul-Steel is physically and scientifically identical to Mandalorian Steel, Soul-Steel possesses a number of abnormalities that are innate attributes of the metal. While these properties were initially a complete mystery to the smiths who worked with the metal, time and the guidance of a number of force adepts taught these smiths to understand and predict the nature of these abnormal effects.

Soul-Steel possesses an abnormally strong connection to the force and is naturally imbued with energy from the dark side of the force.

As Mandalorian Steel is created through the skilled act of shaping crystal matrices into the structure of the metal, and since the meteoric iron from Dromund Kaas is already saturated with by the dark side of the force (thanks to the billions of lives lost during the historic Mandalorian attack on the planet), the resulting metal possesses properties similar to force imbued blades and items, but is capable of being forged by those without a sensitivity to the force.

In addition to the properties of its more common cousin metal, Soul-Steel possesses a faint ethereal glow that dims in the presence of Ysalamiri, Void Stone, and Void Steel. When not within the effective range of these force-dampening fields, Soul-Steel possesses an abnormal resistance to physical damage and can even withstand the effects of numerous lightsaber strikes. When struck by or against another object, Soul-Steel will release a discharge of light and energy from the effected area. This energy can come in the form of thermal, electrical, or kinetic discharges. While these effects initially seemed to be random to the Mandalorian Metalsmiths that forged Soul-Steel, they were in time and with the input of skilled force adepts, able to predict the manner of energy discharge a Soul-Steel object would generate through an understanding of the subtle variations in the crystal matrices of the metal itself.

tumblr_odi94zJmXO1qzh2aio5_500.gif

For the typical warrior, Soul-Steel offers a unique material to craft weapons, shields, and armor from. However, it is for those gifted in the use of the Force that Soul-Steel is truly special. For each piece of Soul-Steel is charged with the power and emotions of one of the most devastating acts of cruelty the galaxy has ever known.

The events that transpired on the day of death forever reshaped the landscape of Dromund Kaas. Cities were wiped from the face of the world alongside forests and even entire mountains. So complete was the devastation that the world experienced nuclear winter for the next several years until the efforts of terraformers eventually paid off and the planet's weather patterns were returned to a more "normal" state. While Dromund Kaas is far from the first planet to experience apocalyptic levels of genocide, the Slaying of Dromund Kaas was most certainly the first planetary destruction to be televised. Innumerable people upon thousands of worlds throughout the galaxy found themselves watching a live stream of the planet's destruction broadcast over the holonet.

"The shadow of the Sith Empire falls on all." began the transmission that would forever haunt the dreams of those who lived during the age of the Sith Empire. In the broadcast, an unnamed Mandalorian openly blamed the fate of the world not on his own actions, but on the actions of the Sith Lord who had been charged with defending the world. The unnamed Mandalorian would go on to claim that no citizen of the Sith planet was "innocent of sin" before fleeing the system in the Mandalorian Flagship

The broadcast would continue for several minutes as a camera probe rapidly approached the planet, eventually ending as the probe burned up in the planet's atmosphere. In its final moments, the broadcast showed an entire galaxy what happens when the Mandalorians have had enough of your Kark as twenty five massive asteroids slammed into the planet at devastating speeds and billions of people lost their lives.

Captain Larraq said:
UNKNOWN SIGNAL ON HOLONET

The image of a rocky world in the dead of space filled viewscreens and holoprojectors the galaxy over as unknown slicers forced the transmission to override standard broadcasts and communications. A deep and angry voice shattered the silence of the image as the planet drew nearer. “The shadow of the Sith Empire falls on all.”

The planet in the image slowly drew nearer and nearer as the narration continued. “They press upon out boarders. They invade our homes. And they enslave our people.” The deep voice proclaimed as another object entered the image from above. “Today I stand at the heart of an Empire.” The man said as a cluster of rocky objects drew into focus. The obvious outline of one asteroid after another slowly revealed themselves. As the asteroids began distancing themselves from the source of the image, a single massive ship with a deep scar across the left side became visible. “And I will show you the price of their sin.”

In the far distance of the image, warships could be seen moving remarkably fast across the surface of the planet as they fired upon tiny pinpoints that could only be orbital defenses. “Circe Savan. Lady Sith and lord of the Maw Irregular Fleet.” The narrator continued, obviously calling out an enemy by name. “You are a failure and a coward. You arrived here with a fleet four times the size of my own. And in the end, you fled before a single shot was fired.” The narrator spat out with disdain as the first set of asteroids was released from the vessel. “You abandoned the people of this world to their fate.” He continued as additional waves of asteroids detached themselves from the grasp of the warship and descended towards the planet. “Were you one of my people, I would sever your head to save the next generation from the taint of your line.”

As the last asteroid was released from the warship and the rocky planet filled the image, the narrator finished his spat at the Sith woman. “But you are not one of my people. And the price of your cowardice shall hang from your neck like an Albatross... Until the blade of your master finds your throat.”

The ship in the image turned sharply and banked to the left. As the ship left the image and nothing but the planet and asteroids could be seen, the narrator spoke calmly to those that still listened. “Do not weep for the people of this world.” He said as the asteroids closed on the planet. “Where there an innocent amongst them, it would have been spared my wrath.”
Captain Larraq said:
CONTINUED VISUAL TRANSMISSION ON HOLONET

As the probe closed with the planet and the curve of the celestial body could no longer be seen at the edges of the image, the bright and unmistakable shimmer of a planetary shield illuminated the face of the world. Massive siege weapons fired toward and from the world as a brief war raged in the heavens above the planet. A blinding light blocked the planet from view as the first of the asteroids impacted the shield, shattered, and continued forward towards the surface of the planet. Billions of tons of rock and metal descended upon the world below. On the surface of the planet, the sky was briefly covered in a blinding blue light as the shield struggled to protect the occupants of the doomed world. Moments later, hell rained down upon them as the remains of shattered asteroids destroyed the peace and mundanely of their lives.

armageddon-ny-scene-o.gif

10,000,000x

The shields flickered and held, briefly, as more and more asteroids punched through the shield and descended rapidly through the atmosphere of the planet. Larger and larger chunks of rock and metal forced their way into the atmosphere of the planet and created overlapping shockwaves that flattened entire cities as they impacted the ground at speeds several hundred times faster than that of a speeding bullet. In many places, death was instantaneous and without warning.

photo.jpg

24x

In silence, the planetary shield finally sputtered and died, leaving the final five asteroids unopposed in their assault of the planet. At key and precisely planned locations upon the face of Dromund Kaas, the destruction was absolute and without mercy. Multiple fireballs seven kilometers wide rose quickly into the skies of the world and created light 16 times brighter than the light of a sun. Where meteors failed to strike, massive earthquakes shook the ground and forced buildings from their foundations. Rock and mud and sand ejected itself from the face of the planet as the world trembled from the impacts and the faces of mountains slid into the valleys below. For those that survived the first few moments of horror that befell the planet, the overlapping shockwaves were a final act of mercy upon them as 2080 meter per second winds whipped around the planet and annihilated all in their path.

giphy.gif

5x
udxKB8z.gif

5x
deep-impact-scene-2-o.gif

5x
Q9X7s5.gif

5x
judgment_day_nukes_from_terminator_3_rise_of_the_machines.jpg

TWO THIRDS OF THE PLANET

As Dromund Kaas suffered its fate, an entire galaxy experienced a singular moment of fear and excitement as they watched a world die. Billions of people looked to the heavens and cried out in fear and panic as their lives were extinguished in a flash, and thousands of Mandalorians looked on with grim resolve as they watched their enemies burn.

So horrible was the moment that each fragment of meteorite used in the attack became forever changed by the event, resonating those same emotions for all eternity. Fear, excitement, panic, and resolve. While even the non-sensitive wielder feels the echoes of these emotions when they wield weapons and gear forged of Soul-Steel, it is the force sensitive warrior that feels these effects the most intensely. While it can be easy to become lost and overwhelmed in this flood of emotion, many a skilled force user are able to use this emotional energy to fuel themselves or weaken their enemies. By focusing on the excitement and resolve to control the effects of the fear and panic, many a force user are able to attune themselves to their Soul-Steel weapons and gear and use this connection to fuel themselves to greater acts of bravery and violence in battle. Other skilled force users seek to project that same excitement and resolve upon their allies during battle or to project the fear and panic imbued within the Soul-Steel upon their enemies.

While these mental and emotional effects have value to those force users who call themselves Mandalorians, the effects are widely unwanted by the average warrior seeking to wield a Soul-Steel weapon for its other properties. For them, it is recommended by many a Mando'ade elder to wear a force mask or line their helmet with Terentatek Leather before they attempt to wield Soul-Steel in battle.

Natural Qualities:
  • Roughly comparable to Matrix Armor in overall quality
  • Better kinetic durability than Durasteel, though worse than a restricted material
  • Better energy/thermal resistance than Duraplast, though worse than a restricted material
  • Lighter weight-per-mass than Alusteel
  • Roughly comparable lightsaber resistance to Turadium
  • Glows faintly
Limitations:
  • Can only be created by master Mandalorian Metalsmiths with access to Meteoric Iron from Dromund Kaas
  • Personal Gear Only (No vehicles or Starships plated in this stuff)
  • Stops glowing when within the effective area of Void Stones, Void Steel, and Ysalamiri
  • All "Strengths and Weaknesses" are neutralized while a Soul-Steel object is within a neutralizing field (see above)
Strengths:
  • Naturally Force Imbued (dark sided)
  • Possesses an abnormal energy and thermal resistance as well as a resistance to lightsaber strikes similar to that of Phrik
  • Possesses an abnormal charge of energy that is either thermal, electrical, or kinetic in nature (chosen upon creation)
  • Projects the emotions of Excitement and Resolve
Weaknesses:
  • Weakened by exposure to Void-Stones, Void-Steel, and Ysalamiri
  • Projects the emotions of Fear and Panic
  • High intensity emotional charge is very distracting and compromising to Force Users attempting to wield Soul-Steel objects
Primary Source:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jal_Shey
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imbue_item
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force-imbued_blade
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_nexus

giphy.gif

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Captain Larraq"]

I read through it a couple times and, yeah, this is pretty balanced all in all. I think your biggest weakness -- the increased emotional effect on Forcer users -- deserves its own listing in the Weaknesses section. If I'm a Forcer and I can't use this without getting bombarded by adrenaline and fear and so forth, that's a huge deal.

Captain Larraq said:
Possesses an abnormal charge of energy that is either thermal, electrical, or kinetic in nature.

I'm considering asking you to pick one, or say it does a bit of all three, or give a stronger rationale for the 'one or the other' distribution. And is this supposed to be a different effect per strike, or a different effect per weapon? Can you tweak or clarify for me?

Jorus Merrill said:
I'm considering asking you to pick one, or say it does a bit of all three, or give a stronger rationale for the 'one or the other' distribution. And is this supposed to be a different effect per strike, or a different effect per weapon? Can you tweak or clarify for me?
This is a per weapon effect. The effect is dependent on the very specific (but also very subtle) alterations between crystal matrices between individual forged items. When they were first crafting this stuff, the effect that an individual item was generating seemed to be determined at random when the metal was forged. But a few "over the shoulder" reviews by force users were enough to help the smiths identify specific matrix patterns that they were using and which patterns created which effect.

Jorus Merrill said:
I read through it a couple times and, yeah, this is pretty balanced all in all. I think your biggest weakness -- the increased emotional effect on Forcer users -- deserves its own listing in the Weaknesses section. If I'm a Forcer and I can't use this without getting bombarded by adrenaline and fear and so forth, that's a huge deal.
I'm open to suggestions in that regard. I wanted the emotional charge of the event to carry through into this metal in a more significant manner than simply adding a few neat effects to the metal. I want it to be more than just "Magic Phrik" or something. And I figured that pumping it full of emotions was the best way to go.

There are some work arounds to help mitigate this effect in roleplay, and there are ways to try and use this effect to your benefit (with a great deal of focus) for force users... but... yeah. It's intended to be a bit of a dangerous material for FU to be playing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom