Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slicers Gonna Slice (Open to All)

Euro_street_zps6a040e17.jpg

Setting: An Unmarked Slicer bar, Manufacturing Sector, Nar Shaddaa

Cryax Bane sat, his foot bouncing under the table nervously, hunched over his datapad in the unmarked bar he had been frequenting lately on Nar Shaddaa. Refreshingly it wasn't like Vertigo or one those trendy bars that catered to the hoi polloi and the wannabes. This place was the real kriffing deal. To know about this place, you needed to peel back the layers of the HoloNet like an onion and go deep. Of course, its shelf life was short. Sadly, the whole operation would pick up and move somewhere else in a week, only to pop up somewhere else in a location that only the best slicers could find.

The anticipation was killing him. He had put out a message on the Deepnet. He was looking for some custom-made cybernetics and he wanted the most unique, esoteric cyberware that stolen credits could buy. He was supposed to meet someone here tonight to broker a deal.

A few patrons snuck in from the rain and immediately scurried to the farthest corners of the bar, humans and aliens clad in black, faces hidden, sun visors at night. He smiled. This was his tribe. He rarely talked to any of them of course, but he felt some comfort in knowing that this was where he belonged.

[member="Bond"]

((also open to anyone who feels like social RP in a cyberpunk setting))

Slicer bars. The best organic invention in the past thousand years. A place where I could just hang out and exist, without people coming up to me and wondering why I was wearing a medseal around my head, or why my eyes glowed gold. I had intercepted and decrypted a message with an interesting proposition.

I was to come to this slicer bar, a migrating phenomenon among its kind, and meet the caller. From the tones of his voice, I thought he was a Chiss, and the man wanted some cybernetics installed. A young guy for it, but whatever.

I walked into the bar, and promptly sat at the only booth that was occupied by a Chiss.

"Hello, there. Why exactly did you call me here?"

[member="Cryax Bane"]

The lanky Chiss blinked at the towering figure whose presence had taken him off guard. His eyes darted around the room, looking for the droid's master who seemed to be nowhere in sight, and then back at the gold figure. Did the machine even have a master? Was this really his contact? For some reason he wasn't expecting a droid. He couldn't quite put his finger on what was different about this droid and it was extremely rare to see one without a master. This was going to be a very interesting night.

"I'm "Bug." He mentioned the code name that was in the encrypted messages he sent. "I'm looking for some, er, custom made specialty cybernetics and I assure you, credits are no object. Can you help me out?"

[member="Bond"]

While the community was notably one of autonomy and caked in clandestine deals - it was also one of stiff competition. An ever learning, ever evolving crowd that would just as soon leave you in the dust if you didn't purge the cycles of this week's code craze and keep up with the cutting edge. It was also a gathering of people that could scatter at the drop of a single hand gesture to cut from the pack and vanish again into obscurity. These were not very sociable people - normally. That's what made Dash such a lovable and unique version of the occupation; at least with the ladies. However, even in such a den of experts, his identity remained a prized possession, of which no digital trail existed. He was erased from existence long ago, and by his own hand. There were now a host of names associated with the Hapan native, and they changed with a revolving door policy so as to never be fully identified. Anonymity and all was a needful for such a venue.

Cube like sections sat in various array off to the side and peppered the landscape of the bar. Each one of the four walls held a dual holo-emitter that lit up the participant in the repulsor chair as the battle commenced. A battle of code and digital daring, attempting to usurp the other three in a game designed to test their merit and their abilities in something a little more challenging than gaining high score at the latest version of Trooper Terror. Digits flew as coded messages raced across the S-threads connecting them to the underground connections that they kept in touch with. Various poses struck as those that played concentrated. Such a diverse crowd but all centered on the prize, the high honor of slicing through the security locks, and gaining access to formally forbidden. It was like a drug that held just as much or more addiction than the glitterstim addicts dusting the Black Sun ring. Seated in a lotus position, with his tongue slid out to the side, Dash's fingertips flew in furious pace, navigating the holo-board like he'd invented the actual layout specifically for his digits.

"Get a load of that junk data. Seriously, are we really using Antax version five? Thought that got bricked with the Pyform beta." Dash exclaimed with an exasperated sigh, shaking his head and shifting his view to the mirror image of the three other competitors hosted in the right hand side of his screen. Most of them didn't bother to look up at them, as it would distract from their work and the race - but Dash was a slicer of a different color. A blinking section of code was forcing one competitor to growl in frustration. "Welp gotta a little hiccup there at the bottom of your segment. Can't compile with that algo, it's wave time is too fragmented." Dash called out across from his opponent, having circumvented the security protocols of the cube to hi-jack his own opponent in order to correct the fatal flaw. "There we go, rookie mistake, I'm sure it won't happen again." A subtle laugh was offered at the kid's expense as he shifted gears back to the task at hand.

"Was that really necessary?" The synthesized voice of a woman echoed nearby to Dash. A floating black orb shifted back and forth behind the slicer's head, moving from side to side. The chiding tones of his favorite creation rang in his ears. He'd already got a few dirty looks by now, and more than a few requests to dissect the SPHERE that was currently bobbing up and down, looking over his progress.

"Entirely! Can't let the competition go bust a third of the way through the maze, where's the sport in that?" Dash answered back with a cackle to D.A.R.C.I. She was a wonderful companion, but had some misgivings about his attempt to rub his victory in even more after helping one of his opponents with their mistakes. Apparently she'd picked up some sense of morality along the way, and it continued to baffle him to no end.

"Logic would indicate that would only slow your progress, but furthermore its just plain rude, how will you make any friends this way?"

"By bribing them with puffcakes."

"They are not the answer for everything as you claim."

"You're just jealous because you can't eat them. It's understandable."

"01001011 01101001 01101100 01101100 01101010 01101111 01111001"

"Didn't know you had joy to kill, darling." The back and forth banter would normally slow someone down, but Dash simply spun his chair before his right index slid right through the last keystroke and the other three screens immediately froze up, showing Dash's login name; Daaren flashed on the screen as the victor, and every one of his opponents fell back in their chair grumbling angrily as the pompous youth argued with the disembodied female voice that escaped that metallic ball floating around him. "You know what they say gents, mess with the best..." He didn't finish it, they all knew it, and he stood up and started towards the bar for a drink. The SPHERE floated right along with him, keeping track of his steps, and probably calculating some fiendish plan to make the youth frown for hours.

[member="Cryax Bane"] | [member="Bond"]

If I had had eyes, they would've been rolled up to the sky. I unwrapped my medseal, and looked down.

"I know very well that your name's not 'Bug', Cryax. I couldn't find your last name, but your first name is Cryax."

I sat down at the booth across from the Chiss, and folded my hands.

"Custom cybernetics, huh? Guess I'd be your guy. The name is Bond."

I leaned back, and continued.

"From your reaction, I can tell you've never seen a Shard before. Or a MagnaGuard. You meet the most interesting people at slicer bars..."

[member="Cryax Bane"]

Cryax was momentarily distracted by what sounded like raucous gaming going on in another part of the bar. He snuck a look over his shoulder and instantly pegged [member="Dashal Vance"] as the type of slicer he intensely detested. Mostly because, well let's face it, guys like him tended to have all the social qualities Cryax himself lacked: ease and wit, pithy sayings, charm out the butt. And inevitably they always ended up walking out of the bar with the girl he wanted. He seethed with envy towards the flashy bastard. The other slicer was probably a perfectly nice guy, but Cryax was feeling insecure. He was allowed to be a little judgey.

He turned back to Bond, the Shard. From what he remembered about the species, they were Crystal People? Or something. He made a mental note to brush up on his Xenobiology.

He blinked again and looked down at his feet, clearly irritated and uncomfortable and all the while sneaking glances at the showoff across the room. "I'm looking for subcutaneous communications hardware. You know, slicing gear, but not just the everyday stuff, like internal access to the HoloNet and all that. I wanna know what you have that...." He lowered his voice to a whisper. "...other slicers only dream about. I'm looking for the rarest stuff you've got." He stopped and realized he was getting so excited he had forgotten to breathe. He inhaled deeply and added, "And I need it to be able to be put under the skin or at least covered up with the most cutting-edge synthflesh I can buy. The more undetectable the better."

He looked questioningly at the imposing Shard and hoped he wasn't about to be a complete a laughing stock. The ball was in his court.

[member="Bond"]

I matched the man's tone, slightly mockingly.

"Oh, and what is it that all slicers dream of? You want cameras behind your eyes, or something? Combat scanners bouncing around in your head? Or an AI uplink? A ship slave device? A magic jetpack with in-flight meals? I mean, be specific. Tell me what you want. What you really, really, want. And I'll tell you what I want."

Of course, I was mirroring the lyrics to a horrible song, that I basically hated. But how was the Chiss to know that? At the sound of a bunch of really loud guys playing a game, I looked up. I saw a young guy who looked like he was making a boatload of money for himself in a very short amount of time. I turned back to the Chiss.

"I hate guys like that. A Shard can't get girls when there's the debonair pirate around to save them..."

[member="Cryax Bane"] [member="Dashal Vance"]

The Chiss winced. Of course, the Shard was mocking him. It was par for the course. Just another bang up social interaction for good ol’ Cryax Bane. Mr. Personality. The next thing you know he’d be beating the ladies off with a stick, too.

“Ok, you want to know what I really really want? First of all, I want a cranial slicing implant so that I can turn my brain into a HoloNet relay and do all my slicing without this.” He slammed the datapad down on the table with a loud thonk, startling a few jumpy kids nearby.

Without a beat he continued, “I know this seems like a pretty standard thing. I mean, fifteen year old kids walk around with with Slicing implants these days. The difference is that I want the firmware to be fused with something like an insight implant that’s specifically manufactured to predict code algorithms before they happen. Then I can intercept the code and slice it...” He moved his hand sideways in a karate chop motion. “...as soon as it’s being written and before it becomes encrypted. Basically I want to be the fastest slicer in the galaxy.”

He didn’t really know if something like this was possible. His best guess was Sith technology, which was risky. He’d heard stories about slicers messing with that stuff and ending up psychotic. He leaned back and crossed his arms testily over his chest, fully expecting another sardonic reply from [member="Bond"]

Finally, a specific explanation. Of course, I could make the guy his implant. Uplink slicing rigs were cheap as dirt to make, and could be bought almost anywhere. The code algorithm thing was complicated, but still relatively easy to make. The insight implant was another thing entirely. It could possibly take me months to build and program correctly.

"Okay, kid. I can make the uplink implant, obviously. And the algorithm decoder is pretty easy, too. But the predictive system will take a long time to make. I'm talking months. That's the kind of stuff that usually requires industrial espionage to get. And even then, that kind of thing can royally fuck with your brain. I'm totally serious."

[member="Cryax Bane"]

No words, he simply whistled the same tune over and over as he walked down the streets of Nar Shadda's underworld. His hood covered his head, hiding the wild eyes from the rest of the world. He was here for information, largely on Omega Protectorate soldiers, and their loved ones. Why here? Why now? Because Vi'dreya's did their research, they studied, they analyzed, and they figured out who was the best card in the figurative deck. The Chiss here showed promise of being that card.

Entering the bar, instantly a bouncer approached him, preparing to ask him if he was old enough to be in such an establishment. With a wave of his hand the hooded teenager sent the man away, confused as to why he'd even been over there in the first place. Damn fool. Standing alone in the middle of the bar he searched for the slicer.

[member="Bond"] [member="Cryax Bane"]

Cryax smiled a very unChisslike lopsided smile. His heart leapt into his throat at the thought of becoming something more than what he was, more akin to a machine. He sat on his hands to contain his excitement. Finally he was getting somewhere. It wasn't a done deal yet though. He knew he could still blow it if he wasn't careful. Play. It. Cool. Cryax. Especially around what looked like an ancient battle droid.

"Trust me, I can handle whatever you make for me."

[member="Bond"] [member="Xavier Vi'dreya"]

I was about to reply to Cryax, but I was stopped short by a sudden Dark presence. It was weaker than mine, but it was there. And it was not one I recognized. I swore under my breath, and stood up, my silver lightsaber easily within reach of my thumb. I looked over my shoulder at Cryax.

"Don't worry. If he comes over here, I'll deal with him. That's a Sith, but no ally of mine."

The hilt of my lightsaber flew into my hand, and I stepped in front of the young Chiss. I glared at the newcomer, and held out a hand to stop him.

"I'm afraid you won't be getting any information today, youngling. Sith business. Higher-ranking Sith business than whatever you have to do with this man."

[member="Cryax Bane"] [member="Xavier Vi'dreya"]

“Ktah!” Cryax swore, one of the few words he knew in the native Chiss tongue, and his hands flew to his face involuntarily. A kriffing lightsaber hilt had just moved through the air in front of him. The next thing he knew the Shard was on his feet, moving with preternatural speed. Bond was staring down what looked like a teenager but one with an edge of grim determination in his stance and a blood curdling stare. Cryax got a sickening feeling deep in his stomach when he heard Bond call the kid a Sith. What the hell was going on?

[member="Bond"] [member="Xavier Vi'dreya"]

"Move." Xavier's voice was firm, but filled to the brim with rage, the whole room could practically feel his hate. He honestly didn't want to fight the shard, it wasn't in his interests, but he would if he needed to. Nothing would stop him. A few years ago he would've brought up Thyrian, or Kara, or Arcis, all family to him that carried great power. But now he did things on his own. Perching on his shoulder was a reptile about a foot tall, a small dragon, ready to belch flame at the thing before it should the guard remain in his way.

Xavier hadn't gone for his saber, no he simply stood, tense and ready, but not making a move. He would not start this fight.

But he'd end it if need be. Or try. Whatever.

[member="Cryax Bane"] [member="Bond"]

Sometimes, not often, but sometimes in a galaxy filled with glow sticks and space wizards you often got a better show right in front of your peepers than staring at a holo-screen getting lost in the latest viral craze as you hopped from holovid to all the featured favorites that you were nearly bombarded with. Dash knew that sickness well, as he'd gotten lost several times down that holonet lepi hole, falling further and further down into the abyss of a new dance craze, or artisan song styles of the rich and bored. This was better - and although fighting in a slicer dive was frowned upon (based on the amount of possible tech damage, and drawing of attention) it was sometimes inevitable. A handful of frag snack chips (what else did you expect?) was downed and loudly crunched as the Hapan slid off his stool, tilting his head to the side. A smirk touching his face was evidence of nothing but amusement while he watched the proceedings. He'd met a few Sith in his days..even dated some notable ones - and they weren't nearly as scary as some of the junk dealers that favored the braze of planets like Tatooine. Normally he'd be placing bets along with the others in the room, but this was a place of secrets, and also to unwind. Dash didn't have a lot of community driven dives to hang around in that could keep up with his hyper-active brain, and he'd hate to lose another one due to some sort of scuffle that attracted what existed as officers on the smuggler's moon. They'd likely shoot everyone just for some peace and fething quiet.

"I think there's a problem with your brain." The synthesized voice of DARCI ebbed out in a quieter volume for just the position of Dash to catch. The slicer still munched as if watching a holocade teaser. "In that's missing." The AI continued in a polite, but highly sardonic tone. She knew Dash fairly well, and had already calculated some very dismal odds for any kind of planned intervention.

"You worry too much." The slicer mused as he tossed another handful of the ships into his mouth. By this time the ancient Magna Guard rose from it's table and presented itself in defense to harrow the life of the Chiss behind him. "Besides, no one comes here that can either get what they want, or need what we get."

"Except the vendors."

"They're a special dispensation, just back my play."

"I'll start work on your epitaph."

"Make sure it has imagery."

Footsteps measured forward from the bar, the droid SPHERE floated in the background, doing a few things at once - notably recording the event for both posterity and possibly blackmail. Shaking the few leftover chips in one hand, a plastered smile over his face as the Hapan approached the quarrel, shifting his gaze from the Magna Guard towards Xavier who was sporting a fascinating little dragon like creature on his shoulder. Dash instantly knew he needed a pet of that kind - and was already formulating a few ways to find out the galactic pet store that would ship out versions of that for test runs. Oh right..back to business. The laugh came first - it wasn't exactly hardly, but it was intended as a ice breaker while he took a seat on one empty table's corner.

"No no...you're working this deal all crabbed." The slicer exclaimed to Xavier who stood fast, un-moving, and unrelenting. "You gotta open with payment first." A self assuring nod was given while he tossed some more chips into his mouth. "Call it modus operandi, but it pays the bills - legitimately even." Dusting his hands off together and leaning back on his palms, his legs interlocking at the ankles and swinging back and forth lightly. "Of course most of us have very flexible payment plans - food stuffs, custom tech, high class esco-- dates. There's even some will do it for girly giggles - but the smash and grab - yeah that's a long tired approach." A quick teal eyed gaze around the room gave him a pretty good beadon everyone's current location, and despite him having no connection to the force, he was already gauging an exit strategy if he needed to get outta dodge before the light sticks started clashing. "You do know must of us hide behind the screens to get out of the bully scene? And some - hire Magna Guards for a quick bodyguard detail." Apparently he was trying to talk the robed figure into a deal that didn't involve spilling brain candy all around the room. It was a mess to clean up.

[member="Xavier Vi'dreya"] | [member="Cryax Bane"] | [member="Bond"]

I looked at the blonde kid, who honestly looked tiny, compared to my approximately seven foot tall frame, and shook my head.

"No, I don't believe I will move. You're interfering with the One Sith, kid."

I didn't want to play that card with Cryax, but this guy was a different kettle of fish. But the smart-mouthed Hapan behind him wasn't.

"I'm nobody's bodyguard. I came here to make a deal, and this stripling is interfering, just by his presence. We might both be Sith, but camaraderie between the groups isn't really a thing."

[member="Dashal Vance"] [member="Cryax Bane"] [member="Xavier Vi'dreya"]

The Chiss snuck a trembling hand down down to his blaster and gripped the handle, pulling it surreptitiously out of the holster. Easy there. He moved quickly enough to feel like he would have time to use it if someone bum-rushed him, but not enough to make an aggressive display of it. There was a good old fashioned Sith pissing contest going on in the middle of the bar (and that flashy slicer was now trying to get his piece of the action, too.) The last thing he needed was for one of them to think he had an itchy trigger finger.

What could the Sith kid with the exotic shoulder lizard even want with Cryax Bane to begin with. He scanned his agile brain for the last few networks he sliced into. His data scrubbing was usually pristine, but maybe he'd gotten sloppy and unknowingly ended up leaving some digital fingerprints in the wrong network. But a Sith network? He wouldn't have knowingly sliced into Sith Holospace--that was a death sentence. It was possible he had stumbled into it by accident. He naively hoped that this was some kind of mistake. He spoke up, his voice edged with a slight tremor of fear.

"Hey! Kid! I think you might have the wrong guy. This looks like it might just be a case of mistaken identity."

He forced out a half smile in an attempt to appear calm and controlled. Like his heart wasn't racing a thousand miles a minute. He only hoped he didn't look like a threatened ape who shows its teeth.

[member="Dashal Vance"] [member="Bond"] [member="Xavier Vi'dreya"]

With his presence

The insult hung in the front of the boys mind as he began whistling a simple tune, that same as when he'd walked in. This time however it had an aggressive edge as his psychotic eyes darted to Cyrax. Xavier wasn't here to harm him, in fact he needed his help, and quite urgently, but the fething droid had to remain in his way. The One Sith brought no fear to him, and nor did the hunk of metal before him. "Move droid. My business is not with you." Xavier snarled.

Still his hands remained away from his saber, or his knives, any of it. He wasn't drawing or preparing seemingly, in fact he seemed at ease as he looked up at the droid, bright blue eyes riddled with insanity. A small smirk tugged on his face. "Last warning." He cooed mockingly.

[member="Cryax Bane"] [member="Bond"] [member="Dashal Vance"]

"Oh, you called me a droid... I think I'll go cry in a corner, now. Not."

I gestured to the boy to come closer. I spoke at a very low tone so that the various denizens of this slicing haven couldn't hear me.

"Look, I'd rather not fight you. We'd probably end up destroying this fine establishment, which is something I don't feel like doing. If it's so urgent that you're actually willing to attack a Knight to get around to it, then I have no problem helping you. But, you cannot interfere. I'm trying to make a deal that will save somebody who's rather important. It's a matter of life or death for thousands, if not tens of thousands of people, that she has the power to save."

I put my saber back on my belt, and nodded respectfully to the young Acolyte.

"I'm serious. Let me finish my business, and I can help you. But if you interfere now, you doom yourself and countless others. Just cool off a bit, please?"

[member="Xavier Vi'dreya"] [member="Cryax Bane"] [member="Dashal Vance"]

How had Xavier missed Dashal's offer and advice at first? Arrogance and the fact he was rather wrapped up in his own testosterone filled stand, but once he processed what had been said, his eyes turned to the floating sphere projecting the slicer's voice. "I'm targeting Omega Protectorate mercenaries, individual ones along with those close to them. If you can get me a location, all their assets I can acquire will be sent to you. I hear Bolters go for quite the price on the black market." Xavier offered, the Umbaran's icy gaze placed firmly on the droid floating before him.

He rolled his eyes at Bond out of arrogance, he knew underneath the surface he was probably being spared a beatdown, he was a tactician and an admirable fighter, but the Magna Guard with a shard beneath it's armor would best him in personal combat. It wasn't really a question.

Cryax Bane Bond Dashal Vance

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom