Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skype Politics and RP.

Howdy ladies and gents, hope you are all well this day.

I'd like to touch on something that I find particularly irksome to myself, and probably a vast majority of you. Skype, like we all know, is the best means of communication between Roleplayers. It's quick, efficient, and you can coordinate things much faster via that than you can over the board's PM system. Many of us come to just chit chat with our friends, and I've been known to just goof off in chat rooms all day long with my friends and have fun. It's quite relaxing, and helps all of us get to know each other. It's not just enough sometimes to just write, we love actively socializing with those who are kindred spirits. I love it myself, and I'm friends with the vast majority of those who have my skype handle. I firmly believe it's a great tool to use for factions for speed dominions, and planning future events. Hell, we as staff have meetings via skype voice calls on a pretty frequent basis and we use it for going over factory submissions.

That little intro out of the way, here's my point.

I'm lucky enough to have forged many relationships on this board, and I've been fortunate to build strong friendships with those in leadership positions in factions. What I don't like hearing, is all the politics that are going on. Often times, I hear about alliances being forged over skype and nothing is being roleplayed out. Multiple chats are made to take down groups and factions, yet no action is actually being rped out. Folks, if you want to ally up and ROFLstomp people, please do. I love a good narrative, and what I hear a lot of the time is great stuff...if only it made it to the forums and not some chat room. Now, there is a fine line in coordination and plotting and just straight skipping the rp part. That's what's been happening lately, and this is me as the player asking for it to stop.

Close the skype window at times guys, click "Start New Topic" in the private or public roleplay forums and do what we all come to do.

RP, not skype politic.

Bartholomew Tedesky

B
Vereaux said:
I personally don't like using Skype because it is convenient. It makes the communication impersonal, at least I think so >.> PMs require thought =)
Hmm.... i like Skype as much as the next guy here, but the calls... I hate those

I don't use skype, and because of that, I sometimes don't see alot of the stuff that is happening behind the scenes. I would like it if people kept the RPideas and what ever else on the site here, rather than on skype. And just as said above, its very convenient for people, and I understand that, but that means that you are wasting time on Skype when you could be doing something here on the site.

Aye Morna, hit it on the head. That is one of the many reasons why I keep myself from skype and guard my skype name these days. If people need to reach me there is a nifty little PM feature.

Same as @[member="Morna Imura"] and @[member="Selena Halcyon"].

Skype can definitely be convenient and be used for building stronger friendships as well as be used for staff meetings and such, but it excludes people if used exclusively as a way to communicate among roleplayers since some people just don't/won't use Skype.

When I saw the title, I thought this thread is about talking about politics and RPing in Skype. But I was wrong. And this thread is right. And @[member="Morna Imura"] and @[member="Selena Halcyon"] are right, because all of these things might should on the site... I understand, that it's faster and easier and whatever... but other people want to know about things too... I understand using Skype is better than chatting via PM when talking about certain things. Chaos things should be kept on the site as long as they are supposed to be known by other people... For an example: planning a Dominion/Invasion is supposed to be for everyone who is going to participate, but when I request a tag from Guy (which actually happened, so I can use it as an example), no one besides us has to know about it. We could do it via PM, but we can use Skype, because it's not an IC thing...

Sarge Potteiger said:
But moooooooooooooooooooooom, that stuff I talked about over voice is totally site canon
GO TO YOUR ROOM!

EDIT: totally just noticed that my Avi is pointing up so it looks like he actually is telling you to go to your room. :p

I'm not saying Skype > Pm.

I'm saying I want people to actually roleplay instead of form little cliques and alliances that have no basis in site canon because everyone would much rather form a skype chat than rp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom