Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship RZ-3 A-Wing interceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
ralph_mcquarrie4-750x351.jpg

A RZ-3 element with the tow cable behind the cockpit

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Ringovinda StarYards
  • Model: RZ-3 A-Wing interceptor
  • Affiliation: Open market
  • Production: Mass-Produced
  • Material: Durasteel hull
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Interceptor
  • Length: 10m
  • Width: 6.5m
  • Height: 3m
  • Armament: Low
  • 2 Anoat electromagnetic plasma repeater cannons (4 Laser Cannon equivalents)
    1 Concussion missile launcher (4 missiles)
  • Defenses: Low
  • Squadron Count: 12
  • Maneuverability Rating: High
  • Speed Rating: High
  • Hyperdrive Class: 1
SPECIAL FEATURES
Strengths:
  • The tow cable can be useful to fight off walkers
  • Heavy primary firepower
  • Fast and maneuverable
  • Slim flank profile
  • Can resist conner net/EMP attacks
Weaknesses:
  • In combat, the tow cable can only be used in atmosphere
  • The tow cable is difficult and dangerous to fire due to the inability of the pilot to pay proper attention to what's happening in front and back of it at the same time
  • Exposed engines and guns
  • Easy to detect on thermal and EM sensors while its primary armament is firing
  • Low defenses: armor and shields are sacrificed for additional speed
  • Low missile ammunition: can't do a whole lot of passes against capital ships before needing to be rearmed
  • Short-range hyperdrive
Description: It became obvious that the Chiloon fighter-bomber was not well-suited for every combat mission in the wake of several engagements, but also that there was a need for means that could minimize collateral damage when engaging walkers. And it was also found that the primary armament of the Chiloon was a liability in a prolonged firefight due to its finite supply; the RZ-3 A-Wing was thus outfitted with two Anoat electromagnetic plasma cannons. With the Anoats, one can have the primary firepower of a Chiloon or an X-Wing and hence make killing enemy attack craft and hardpoints much easier. And also, an additional drawback exist when the main armament is fired: it is very easy to detect on thermal and electromagnetic sensors for a few seconds after being fired, making flares useless.

However, to make way for the energy harpoon, as well as the increased power requirements of the weapons, one of the two original concussion missile launchers has been removed. And as a result of battle experience of fighting enemies fielding walkers, dating as far back as Operation Blackout, where that craft was still a prototype, tow cables have been outfitted on the A-Wing. Understandably, tow cables are useless in space combat, and are only used against walkers in air-to-ground atmspherical combat operations, but can be used to tow objects in space. Nevertheless, the operation is not without risk, and only possible to do with one crewmember due to a targeting computer that can toggle between the forward arc for missile firing and the aft arc for firing the tow cable, as well as a special yoke that has another button for the firing of the tow cable. Due to the difficulty for pilots to split their attention between what happens in front of them and behind them, using the tow cable is at best a dangerous proposition and it can potentially be lethal.

Another flaw of the original A-Wing that nevertheless remain, the exposed engines, which make the engines an easy target for enemy fighter pilots in a stern chase. And yet, the cost of added speed and maneuverability is that it is more fragile than standard fighters, despite the use of a tensor field generator, which allows it to maintain hull integrity in high-speed maneuvering.

Consumables: 3 weeks
Crew: 1
Cargo capacity: 100 kg
Hyperdrive range: 5,000 light-years

[member="Cathul Thuku"] - Apologies for the tardy reply, but I found myself tangled up in some business after I put this submission on review.

So, without further ado, we’ll get right into it.

Overall, this submission is almost a carbon copy of the canonical A-wing with some additions, which is an interesting take on the Interceptor idea. However, there are a few issues I have with the listed items in your special features that will need to be expanded on for me to give the green light on this.

Firstly, would you be able to explain what a tensor field generator is for me, and add it to your description? I feel it’s a bit vague, as it stands, and may cause some issues in the future when others decide to use this submission in Open RP.

Secondly, as Cap drains negate the overloading effects of Connor Nets and EMP, would you kindly add that to your strengths section?

Finally, I believe that an expansion of one of your weaknesses is in order - as there’s little information in your description mentioning how this process is done, which is fundamentally dangerous for anyone behind the yokes of this Starfighter. When using the tow cable in combat, the Rebel Alliance had two pilots sequestered in their T-47’s, one of which was solely manning the tow cable/harpoon.

Would you be able to expand on how a single pilot would be able to perform such a feat of splitting their attention while flying their interceptor at a standard to maximum combat speed(s)?

As well, provided the answer you’ve given to my previous question is sufficient, would you kindly expand on the tow cable weakness to encompass the inability of the Pilot to split their attention between both what’s in front of them, and what’s behind.

Please @mention me when you’re finished making these edits, or if you have any comments, questions, or concerns. Thank you!​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom