Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasons you should try different writing styles.

Recently I have been looking into alternative writing styles to express myself in Roleplay and I for the time have landed at Haikus. There simple fun and take less thought then you know. Chaotically wonderful to read in my opinion, But Haikus are one of thousands of different writing styles. Thought it would be cool to list some reasons everyone should try a different writing style.

1. Do it for yourself. It another way to express yourself, therefore it will never be wrong.
  2. Looks awesome. Yeah.
  3. Its something new and gives a different perspective when your writing or reading. Gives new ideas
  4. Dont not take long to read or write. Great if your lazy like me and want to get to the point.
  5. Makes you think bit more. What words describe how you feel or how your character feels?
  6. Can make ya a better writer in w/e way you want. Reap what you sow.
  7. Improves vocabulary.
  8. Its fun.

What do you think about alternative writing styles? Personally its re-sparked my muse on chaos. What are your experiences with stuff like this? Positive or Negative.

Blargh.

Poe

тнє ναмριяє ℓσя∂
[member="Saverok"]

for every character I write, I use a different writing style for each. Each character is different, and thus, should have it's own style. I once wrote a character that spoke backwards, and yes it made it difficult for people to read her speaking sections, but it's never about other writers, its always about me.

so yes, I'm all for different writing styles.

I think my writing style has evolved naturally over the last several years, and I don't necessarily mean in quality alone. Reading books and watching others write has helped me discover quirks that I enjoy which I soon added into my repertoire for writing here on Chaos.

On the note of Haikus, however, one [member="Tai Fa"] actually spoke in Haikus and it's quite amazing.

Otherwise I actually haven't intentionally changed how I write or anything, really. Just some different quirks for certain characters.

[member="Saverok"]

As for different writing styles, it's a worthwhile project to explore. I haven't done it so much myself, though my general style of writing has changed since I started on Chaos and I am sure it will change further. Perhaps next time my muse is low, I will try some mixing of the styles.

As [member="Boethiah"] mentioned, [member="Tai Fa"] 's haikus are great.

For a different type, but very distinct and inspired character-specific writing, you could look at [member="Laguz Vald"] and xir(?) use of pronouns. It gives the character a certain flavour without a considerable drop in clarity.

Satia said:
but it's never about other writers, its always about me.
I hope to the Force that this is sarcasm.

Poe

тнє ναмριяє ℓσя∂
[member="Darth Ophidia"]

Perhaps I misrepresented myself there. I mean I write for myself, and such my characters are written based off my creativity, and not for the praise and satisfactory of other writer's views upon my character(s). I won't go to great lengths for other writers to like my characters or my writing style, only that they have an open mind when dealing with what I put out there. If writers do not like what I write, I want them to understand that I do not write to please them, but to please myself; afterall I'm the one putting myself out there. I am, afterall, my own worse critic. However, I do take criticism well, but won't compromise my ideas for anyone.

Hope that makes sense.

[member="Krest"]

Well, what you do now is basically your standard way of writing. You could try consciously adhering to certain principles. For example, do you focus more on writing exterior descriptions and/or internal processes? You could try to use certain words instead or in addition to your current vocabulary. Try writing in first person, rather than third perhaps. Or even something so simple as presenting your dialogue differently.

Take any one part of your current way of writing and change it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom