Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Non-Combat NPC unit template

To this day, I have not thought of this idea, but today yes. There is no general Non-Combat NPC unit/team template in the NPC creation section. I don’t know how much there would be a need for this, but I think it could be helpful.

I am probably not the only one who wants to write such a large number of teams; which are part of a faction, company, organization, religion, etc. and not combat units. Of course, I know there’s a crew template out there, but for example, it’s not really possible to use if someone wants to describe a medical team of dozens or even hundreds of people there.

Or maybe someone wants to detail their company’s engineering, genetic, medical, lawyer, bureaucratic, political, maintenance, etc. department, employees. They may not be as important groups as a combat team, but I think non-combat-focused characters could benefit from that, too.

Of course, I know we can tell to write an organization on it, but this would be a good way to add them to our existing things/character, like other NPC templates do the same.

I haven't rewritten a template yet, how I thought of that. If the idea is not too stupid and there is a request/ask for it, I would do under the Codex discussion how I would imagine this possible template.

If this suggestion does not have a place here, but in the Codex section, I apologize. And thank you for reading it through.

This is an interesting thought and definitely could use some consideration for sure. We do have the "Combat Unit" template in the NPC Creation which would make you wonder why there's no "Non-Combat" variant. Sure, the "Organization" template in the "Lore" forum has the potential cover this, but I definitely understand the thought process here.

I'd love to see your ideas on what this template might look like.

Allyson Locke Allyson Locke
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought about this! <3

Luca Donskoi Luca Donskoi , Srina Talon Srina Talon
Here is my idea to the template:

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: [ State why you are making this submission and what purpose it will fulfill in RP. ]
  • Image Credit: [ Provide credit to the original artist of the images in your submission. Link to the web page where it can be found and state the name of the original artist if possible. Each image used must be credited. Use TinyEye, Google Image Search, or the Image Credit FAQ to help.]
  • Role: [ Is this uinit serving as medical detail to your character? Is it a uinit of your faction? Is it a research team for your company? Explain the IC role this uinit will fulfill. ]
  • Permissions: [Please link any Marketplace purchase or similar approvals to use other Writers’ content as part of this submission.]
  • Links: [ Provide links to any relevant threads, characters, companies, locations, etc here. Canon or otherwise. Especially obscure references, or events important to the submission.]
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Group Name: [ What is the name of this unit? Example: “Czerka's engineers” or “University archaeologists”. ]
  • Affiliation: [ Who is this unit loyal too? Usually a faction, company, or character. Link any relevant character bios, faction pages, or groups. ]
  • Classification: [ What type of unit is this? Choices include, but are not limited to: Engineers, Researchers, Scientists, Doctors, Teachers, Archaeologists, Bureaucrats, etc. ]
  • Description: [ Give a brief overview of this team/group. Notable appearance, if they have a team symbol, general mindset and behaviour, etc. ]
UNIT INFORMATION: The combination of Unit and Availability below is the indicator of how numerous your unit is. General medical team for instance would be considered Large/Common, while Doctors specializing in Blackwing virus would be a Small/Unique unit. Majority Force User Unit are prohibited from being Common or Large. The as in many areas as possible and more specialized your unit is (FU or NFU), the smaller and less common it should be.
  • Unit Size: [ This is how many individuals make up a single unit. Choose from Small (each unit is small, comprising a dozen members or less), Medium (moderately sized unit, often specialized), Large (many individuals, often compromising the rank and file). ]
  • Unit Availability: [ This is how many person are available for replacement. Choose from Unique (only one), Rare (very few, difficult to replace, may have long learning/training times), Uncommon (some, replaceable, enough to support), Common (many, easy to replace, likely with more always in learning/training, or does not require expertise). ]
  • Unit Experience: [ How experienced is this team/group? Choose from Incompetent, Novice, Trained, Expert, Master. Expert and Master are more appropriate to smaller, less common groups/teams with lower failure rates, while Trained and lower are appropriate for larger, more common groups/teams with higher replacement needs. Also because it is easier for them to learn and develop further than those who are already starting as Expert or Master level. You are encouraged to update groups/teams, as they grow through RP in experience, through the submission modification thread. ]
  • Equipment: [ If your team/group possesses any specialty equipment (equipment suitable for their work, sensors, medical equipment, bureaucratic programs, computers, etc.) list them and provide links here. Check the table below for production level and affiliation of any Factory submissions based on the unit's size and availability- those that are inappropriate will need to be changed. The unit may use equipment of the listed production or higher production values, but not lower. ] [ Disadvantage: They can only have non-lethal weapons in their equipment. ]
    m9iV36K.png
  • Specialization Function: [ Describe this unit’s general function in their specialization. Put things like their functions, habits, goals, how they interact with other parts of a company, faction, do they need support or are they the support, etc. ]
Strengths:
  • [ Provide, in list format, some strengths of this submission. 2 recommended. ]
Weaknesses:
  • [ Provide, in list format, some weaknesses of this submission. 2 recommended. ]
HISTORICAL INFORMATION
[ Include a description of the unit’s history here. How they were formed and by whom, past noteworthy actions, whether they were involved in war, how they work, what their short or long term goals are, etc. ]

Last edited:
Srina Talon Srina Talon , Allyson Locke Allyson Locke

I didn't even remember it was so long ago when I suggested this, but since there is a Codex and Factory rules update time now, I would like to suggest this again if this possible. :$

We're going to be having a template contest/addition thread for Codex over the break. It'll be going live sometime this week. I want to get as many cool custom templates that people might be looking for as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom