Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naming Convention

One of the first things that needs to be discussed is that we will NOT be using the word Empire in our name. Even though, in terms of government, we will represent an Imperial sort of group, the word Empire is not sufficient to describe us. The negative connotations associated with it are high, and there are already too many "Empires" on the board at the moment.

Add in the fact that we won't have an Emperor, and it doesn't make sense to call ourselves an Empire. In fact, I think we're likely to have a leadership Triad. Equal votes, inability to have a tie. Makes the most sense, but we'll discuss that in a thread specifically about our governmental structure, not in this thread about our name.

That said, here are some words that I think could have a place in our name:

• Sovereignty
  • Commonwealth
  • Union
  • Authority
  • Protectorate
  • Collective
  • Syndicate
  • Hegemony
That said, we need to be somewhat unique in naming this faction. Something that doesn't necessarily strike fear into the hearts of the people, but provides a sense of authority and general well-being.

I'd also question whether it's worth us pushing aside notions of sovereignty while we get established: something a little less authoritarian, more inviting to the Light/Neutrals among us. Few additional ideas:

- Protectorate
- Collective
- Principality (though this one's a little too aristocratic)
- Alliance
- Federation (little too Star Trek, if you ask me)
- Republic
- Syndicate
- Hegemony
- Oligarchy
- Autocracy

We can also find a means of reflecting the fact that we're not a Major and established Faction, but one designed to exist alongside them (for now): Underground, Branch, Sanctum, and so on. Just a thought.

Added the ones I felt viable, though I'm on the fence about syndicate because in my mind that screams criminal group more than anything. And yeah, Federation was on my original list, but that too doesn't seem to fit, and is very Star Trek. I agree with your thought on Principality. I left out Republic and Alliance because of the current factions on the board. Plus, Republic isn't what we'd be. We're more like an Authoritarian Commonwealth, as far as governments go, I think.

I like Hegemony just because it sounds good. Commonwealth, though, does more fit. Protectorate sounds nice, too.

Ok. So we have one word so far. Unless we just want to be called The Protectorate. Most successful factions across the various boards I've been on have been a minimum of three words, the first one usually being THE. That way they have a three letter acronym. Not always required, but if you go with two words, THE should not be one of them.

So we have two words out of three or one word out of two.

These are just possible ideas. Figure listing whatever comes to mind might lead us to something good:

Based on Protectorate and the triad governmental system:
  • The Ternion Protectorate
  • The Troika Protectorate
  • The Triptych Protectorate

Based on concept alone:
  • The Galactic Protectorate
  • The Systems Protectorate

Just to get a laugh:
  • The Even-Steven Protectorate

[member="Darth Ignus"] I did think of Grey, but that doesn't exactly sound overly factional. And Centrist just makes us all sound like middle-of-the-road and unable to commit to anything. This is a pain :p

[member="Teynara Jeralyr"]
Been doing some thinking. I don't think we should tie our name to a planet, especially since it's highly likely someone will take it before we are even remotely close to going major.

What do you think about just calling ourselves The Protectorate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom