Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Nakfet Crystals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
Examples of the species​
citp319s-natural-color-citrine-crystal.jpg
phqp359-phantom-quartz-crystal.jpg
amtp132c-ametrine-crystal.jpg
Crystal+Ball+2.jpg

Name: Nakfet
Designation: Sentient
Homeworld: Rakata Prime
Language: None spoken, telepathic communication.
Average height of adults: Size is variable depending on age and growth rate.
Skin color: Variable depending on location and minerals available.
Hair color: N/A
Breathes: N/A
Strengths:

• When used as a lightsaber crystal, it creates a thinner, hotter burning blade (slight increase in cutting ability)

• Whether used in a lightsaber or left alone, Nakfet crystals never truly die. They simply become larger and assimilate other crystals around them. At a certain size (varies depending on mineral availability, though usually somewhere between speeder and large boulder sized) they stop growing and act as a sort of anchor point for future crystals.

Weaknesses:

• Though sentient, the crystals cannot speak physically, only telepathically. They often require a large amount of time to discover how to speak telepathically in private as compared to speaking openly and loudly, as if alongside their species.

• While Nakfet crystals can speak directly to another sentient's speech centers in the brain, the crystals' native 'language' is actually derived of telepathic vibrations or 'hums' sent on a broad spectrum. This hum resonates primarily in the Force, but is easily picked up by non-force users, though they tend to perceive it as an audible tone rather than a spiritual or telepathic one. Because of this, Nakfet crystals often misconceive audible vibrations such as music as attempts to speak and, therefore, they teach themselves to speak in kind, often meaning that the crystals have stored up a vast knowledge of new, old, and current music types and styles to replicate.

• While intelligent and capable of independent thought, the crystals are socially immature with outside races until they learn otherwise. This can take upwards of years of exposure. In the meantime, crystals often miss social cues, become easily distracted by random things, misinterpret things such as music and normal sounds as communication attempts, and various other instances of similar style behavior.

• Nakfet crystals are also completely immobile and unable to move themselves without outside aid.

Distinctions: Composed of crystals, sentient, telepathic communication, can be used as a lightsaber crystal, and has an unknown lifespan.
Average Lifespan: Unknown
Races: None, though crystals "born" and "raised" on outside planets often communicate with different frequencies and occasionally possess different views on the world with various levels of social immaturity.
Estimated Population: As the species must be found first, rather than being able to roam free, numbers are unknown at best.
Diet: Various radiation types. Minerals are used for growth, not sustenance.
Communication: Telepathy
Culture: Nekfat crystal culture is very unique for two reasons. First, they seem to have no real culture of their own other than that of a psuedo hive-mind. Second, they seem to easily absorb cultural ques of the influences around them. The means that Nekfat crystal cultures tend to vary based on their locations, numbers, and exposure to the outside world.
Technology level: N/A
General behavior: Crystal behavior is generally oriented towards growth and basic community communication. Once external influences are applied, however, crystals generally see a shift in behavior to what is considered the cultural "norm" as perceived by each crystal. Growth is still considered a goal, but behavior is inconsistent, often focusing on which cultural aspect an individual crystal finds interesting at a given time.
History:

Not much is known about the crystals except for their sentience and uses. They were discovered relatively recently on Rakata Prime by a group of independent miners and salvagers looking for a way to make money. Once their uses were fully realized, the crystals were studied more closely until their sentience was discovered.

They occasionally do volunteer to become lightsaber crystals or to be transplanted into new colonies on other planets, but for the most part are content to be left where they are to grow. For the most part, extra-planetary colonies are rare to find, as are original colonies, but if a Nakfet crystal wishes to be found, it shall be so.

Notable Player-Characters: None at this time.
Intent: To create a new, unique, interesting, and entertaining sentient species for player character use.

[member="Popo"]
I really like this. Fantastic work. Nice to see something unique.

One question though; if they are sentient they must have something which makes them so. What separates humans from animals is our advanced social and cultural advancements. They must have something, or else they are just semi-sentient.

Also, how do they reproduce outside of a certain area? Can crystals break off and be washed away for instance and root somewhere else? What, if anything, do they eat?

Mention me when ready.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]
Ever read "Hoka!"? The alien race in the book are these small, teddy bear like aliens that literally copy the cultures they're exposed to. In the first short story, a mechanic on a stranded ship taught them to read and write English and handed them some western novels to read. A little while later, the main character shows up on the planet to find the entire population of Hokas dressing like cowboys, setting up wild west towns, and even talking like people from western movies. It kind of fueled the inspiration for the cultural copycat these crystals do.

They don't have a culture of their own, at least one that we can understand, and so when exposed to a new culture they gobble it up and analyze it. These things live until they're basically destroyed or eroded (like Shards), so even a shard that's a few thousand years old is going to gobble up what cultural icons and trends it sees as interesting, much like a human teenager, and copy it.

As for reproduction, I viewed it as a sort of... budding. A new growth sprouts off the original and gains its own consciousness, much like the Shards are implied to do.

As for what they eat:

Popo said:
Diet: Various radiation types. Minerals are used for growth, not sustenance

I didn't think I needed to be specific on the types of radiation they consume is all.

[member="Popo"]
You're right, I somehow missed the diet. My bad on that.

As for the culture, I get what you’re coming from, I’m just undecided if it’s too much of a shortcut.

I’ll allow it now you’ve given me some other examples and an expanded idea.

Approved, nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom