Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Nahant

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Name: Nahant

• Designation: Sentient

• Homeworld: Makeb

• Language: They communicate to each other by 'activating' phosphorescent patches of their skin, they use different patterns to mean different messages. In recent years they have been able to pick up Galactic Basic, however as their vocal cords are highly in-evolved they speak very roughly and cannot understand abstract words or phrases.

• Average height of adults: 2.13 meters,
  • Mutants tend to be slightly shorter reaching average human heights

• Skin color: Dark brown-grey,
  • Mutants can come in many other colors, but most appear bright red or black

• Hair color: Typically black with streaks of brilliant blue,
  • Mutants tend to get brighter colors with streaks of darker.

• Breathes: Type II normally, their body functions begin to slow when in Type I.

• Strengths: + The Darkness of Centuries Due to this species living in the depths of the planet of Makeb where little light is ever seen, the Nahant can easily see in the dark and find it to be more homely.
+ Tough as Jade The skin of these beings is as tough as Jade. When struck by physical weaponry, the skin is not likely to break and may at best bruise. Weapons based on light (example: Blasters, Lightsabers) will penetrate the skin easier. (Armor is 7 to physical attacks, and 2 to light based weaponry)
+ Muscles of Steel The Nahant have adapted to digging through the rock near close to the core of the planet (at least much closer to the core than most beings) and as such their bodies have evolved to dig through the toughest of rocks making them capable of crushing or smashing through durasteel with relative ease over time. Normally the method used is a single punch with as much power as they can muster and then pushing all their weight onto the struck area. Repeated punches at high speed and with all out strength can damage their hands so they do not tend to do this often. They can with single smashes destroy an armor rating of 4 while armor rated as 6 is not too difficult for them to break, but it does require them to hit the armor a number of times. Armor rating 8 and above will take a long time to break for them, in comparison to lower rated armor, being about four of their strongest hits, which does mean that it damages their hands.
+ Silent Communication In the depths of a planet, where there is almost no light and one must speak without any predators or prey hearing, the Nahant communicate through the use of patches of skin that can light up through stimulation of the nerve cells beneath the patches.
+ Hand of Dwarves Nahant are very good at working with their hands, often capable of sculpting beautiful images out of solid rock. Even though they have little technological know-how they are very good at crafting things of stone and related materials with their bare hands.

• Weaknesses: - Bright Days Sunlight is foreign to the Nahant and few have left the dark underworld area. Those that leave have had to spend days adjusting to the light of the overworld, but it still causes them much pain. Weapons that utilize brightness for stunning or disabling an opponent can blind a Nahant for a number of days due to the sensitivity to light. The light from blasters and and slug-throwers is highly irritating to their eyes, not causing any permanent damage but will cause them to be distracted and blink. Lightsabers are very painful for them, however if they adjust their eyes to normal sunlight they are not so badly affected.
- Rough around the edges Being a people that live in tight spaces and normally know everything about everyone, being in the greater galaxy where there are many strangers leads to uncertainty in of the species. This normally makes them appear angry and unsociable where in actuality it is just fear.
- Rock Munchers The Nahant live mostly off of special rocks, in solid and liquid form, that form in Makeb. If they do not eat the mineral for prolonged periods of time then they will begin to hit a form of regression that lasts for a week or so. In this time the effects of the mineral (named Isotope 5) will begin to cause pain throughout the body until it has adjusted to no longer having the substance in its body. There have been no other side-effects to this as of yet, and the whole problem can be circumvented by consuming at least 1 gram of the mineral a day. Because their diet has consisted of almost entirely rocks, meat being the only exception, their bodies are not adapted to the proteins and vitamins in plant life. In fact spores will cause an allergic reaction due to their absolute lack of their bodies being in contact with them.
- Magic Because the beings have only recently begun to come out of the depths, the Nahant have rarely beheld Force users. In a galaxy with many Force users, the Nahant see them as magicians or gods in some cases.

• Distinctions: Nahant have patches on their skin that in normal light appear to be the same color as the rest of their skin, yet in the dark and when stimulated through conscious thought.These patches will light up with color different depending on the emotion or command being communicated.

• Average Lifespan: 67 standard years,
  • Mutants, tend to live slightly longer at about 79 years.

• Races: There are some variations depending on where exactly they live and the gravity variations that appear all over the planet. Those that live in areas with less gravity tend to be larger but then also tend to have shorter life spans if they move to an area with average gravity

• Diet: The basic diet of the Nahant is rocks and a large dose of Isotope 5, however they also consume raw meat from any prey they may get their hands on. In the galaxy they will tend to either forgo eating Isotope 5 and will change to eating meats of different types. They are mildly allergic to spores in plants and most flowers, in eating and smelling. Smaller spores have a tendency to cause decrease in breathing, which if exposed to for longer periods can kill. Large spores cause an instant stop in breathing and will often lead to trauma within most body systems, if they survive the intial breathing failure.

• Communication: Communication for the part is completed through the use of the phosphorescent patches on their skin. Emotions, conversations, and commands are transferred through patters in the colors that shine. Different colors mean different tone and different patterns mean different 'words'.
  • Colors: Darker colors lower on the spectrum tend to be a soothing tone and tend to be used more between family members or friends, Colors higher on the spectrum tend to be warnings or rough commands.

• Culture: The Nahant live in cave dwellings far beneath the surface of Makeb. Families would burrow into the hard rock and create their own cave systems. When children would grow older they would learn to burrow their own homes and how to hunt for isotope 5. When the children have grown up to adulthood, they begin to burrow away from the rest of the family to find a life-partner, however they will return to the main family to continue feeding and helping. This normally leads to two families finding each other, in which case the two or more families will combine the caves systems and it will become one household.
  • The Male tends to be the leader of the 'Household' and will decide if they need to move and other such decisions. He also will take care of the children while the female is out gathering food. The female, while submissive to the male, is also key in the hunting and gathering of Isotope 5 as they have sensitive nostrils that react to the 'scent' of Isotope 5. Both sexes know and appreciate that the other sex is vital to the working of a household. The being believe that for people to live they must be a team.
  • Choosing a mate was rarely an option in Nahant society due to the fact that families often ended up living far from each other. However as more and more families connected homes there had been a decision made to allow the families to choose which younger Nahants would be wedded to which. The parents would often marry their children to the children of family friends or something similar. This allowed bonds between two families to become almost inseparable.
  • Religion: While the Nahant are very physical in most aspects they do have an abstract belief. They believe that the Sun and Sky are gods of anger and evil, for the people they created were strange and unsocial. While the core of the planet is a god of peace and love for its creation was the Nahant and it has provided for them in all they need. They believe that their purpose is to glorify the core with everything they do, and everywhere they go. While they must rue the Sun and Sky with all their hearts and look forward to the death of the stars when time will end and the sky will finally be as dark as the underworld. But they must live under the Sun and Sky to show those they meet that the strength of the core is more powerful than the Sun and Sky.

• Technology level: The Nahant have lived without any technology and when given any sort of technology have difficulty figuring out the use on their own.

• General behavior: In the galaxy, any Nahant will likely be shy and uncertain. They would probably be friendly if they learned more about a person. They tend to want to assist people due to their natural inclination towards team efforts.

• History: The Nahant were first discovered by early explorers of Makeb's vast cave networks. Most of the people who found them died, due to accidents involving the wild animals, before they could bring back word of these strange creatures. Due to the fact that for many years the people who lived on Makeb did not mine for Isotope 5 the Nahant were not found for many years. When the Hutts came and began vast mining areas for the material, many Nahants were killed either by guards or by the collapse of whole cave systems. However this was also the first time that the Nahants had begun true fighting, they fought with the viciousness of animals but used tactics that some times baffled the people that did try to hunt them. The Hutts lost many mining droids and mining facilities to the Nahant's attacks. The Hutts did not like this and covered it up saying that Republic and Imperial forces had done the damage. The damage that had been done was immense even though the Nahant had no idea how to shut down the equipment. When the Hutts were forced off planet they tried to ensure that the covers they had set up stayed intact. There had been little beyond rumors that spoke of the Nahants. Many centuries later one of the cave systems collapsed but the family survived by digging to the surface. Though the parents died the children were found by some explorers who took them to the 'civilized' areas, though food was somewhat hard to come by. The children were brought up in that society but eventually returned to the caves and helped more overworlders with their explorations. As more overworlders ventured into the caves, the Nahant were further studied and some even came willingly to the surface to see the galaxy. Rarely any yet have actually left the planet most joined their overworld 'brothers' to help make a living on the strange planet that was steadily falling in on itself.

• However when strange geographic tremors, used by the Sith to stabilize the planet, the Nahant believed that their attempts to live on the surface had caused this and they retreated to their caves. Many died from cave collapses caused by the earthquakes that ruined many vistas of the planet. This was called the Affliction by the Nahant who were dying left and right and only a few were able to survive in the rapidly changing environment. More wild animals were forced into the same caves that the Nahant were living in, making it difficult to avoid being preyed upon for the Nahant. Their numbers dwindled until only handfuls of Nahant lived in a given area. What was worse was that while this was already happening, the Isotope 5 reserves were beginning to become more difficult to find. The Nahant had to survive on more meat, more rocks, and less Isotope. It was a painful transition and the survivors had lost hope and trust within their god the core.

• But many years later hope returned. The Yuzhann Vong found the planet and began reforming it, starting with the core and Isotope 5 ore. The Nahant saw the strange creatures as angels called by the core to return the planet to its proper state. Many Nahant tried to help the Yuzhann Vong with whatever they could. The Vong found the Nahant to be an interesting species, in that it was one of the only sentient species that had no technology to speak of. However the Nahant could never spend too much time among the Vong, for the plants that they carried with them caused the Nahant a great deal of anguish. The Vong worked quickly to try and fix the planet so as not to kill what appeared to be endangered. They took a family of Nahant on one of their ships when they left. The planet had been restored thanks to the efforts of the Vong and soon after the Nahant population returned to levels that had been before the major collapses. Soon after the there was a strange plague that affected the surface and apparently much of the galaxy. But the Nahant were not aware of what transpired above for they were busy rebuilding their own society and growing. By the time the Gulag plague had ended the Nahant had catacombs everywhere under the planet, their numbers were many and yet they still knew nothing of what occurred above their heads. When a charge was accidentally set off by a mining crew that blew open a cave system, the Nahant once more began to walk the face of the planet and help the overworlders in their lives. During this time, the Nahant avoided starships, firstly for their names and secondly for the fact that they left the core behind. But there are a few who have taken the chance and left the planet, most telling themselves that they will tell the galaxy of the core's protection and love for its creation.

• Notable Player-Characters: None at this point, there will be one if this gets approved.
  • Intent: To create a species for a character that will be a friend of Harrip Far.

Thank you judges for taking the time to read this and either accepting or helping to refine this. (Or deny it, I'm fine with that too)

This is my first Factory submission so I expect there to be a number of problems and am ready to try and remedy any problems.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
[member="Harrip"]
Greetings, I will be your judge for the evening!

Alright, let's start with the section leading up to Strength and Weaknesses,

First of all we might have to use a different word than "Albinos" here, we could go with "Mutants" for instance as that refers to any accidental off-shoot in genetic sequence due to a mistake done in genetic replication, while Albinos refer to beings with no pigments in their skin while the Skin Color section says otherwise.

And for Breathes section we use Atmosphere ratings between Type I and Type IV, I being breathable, II masks suggested but not required, III masks required, and IV environmental suits required.
So, change the Breathes section to the Nahant breathing in Type II atmospheres normally and slowing down in Type I atmospheres, and it will be alright.

Address these concerns, please, and tag me in so we can move on to the next section of your submission.

HK-36

[member="Harrip"]

Good start, and no problem :p

Now, moving on to Strengths and Weaknesses,
Let's start with Tough as Jade, Jade isn't stronger than diamond in terms of durability, the strength differs between the two species of Jade we could be referring to, Nephrite and Jadeite, and for the purpose of comparison we'll use the Mohs Scale of Mineral Hardiness.
Nephrite has been assigned a rating of 6-6.5 on this scale, now Jadeite, slightly more durable, has rating of 6.5-7, and for comparison, human fingernail has a rating of 2.2-2.5, a knife's blade or a steel nail have rating of 5.5, iron has rating of 4, steel has rating of 4-4.5, but reinforced steel has rating of 7.5-8, and diamonds have the rating of 10.

What Mohs Scale tells is not the absolute hardness of the mineral but durability against visible changes each mineral has to each other. That means the minerals with higher rating would be able to cause physical changes, called "scratches", on minerals with softer rating. Now the absolute hardness is a more scientific method that utilizes the sclerometer while Mohs is more relative.

All that said, what I want you to do for Tough as Jade, removed the part where it's mentioned that they are tougher than diamonds, in turn I'll let you just outright say that they are as tough as Jade and bump up their armor rating against physical damage to 7, keep resistance against energy weapons at 2, that way it will be balanced.

Now, for Muscles of Steel,
I will need you to give me specific armor ratings through which they can go, I would also like you to add "over time" to the "making them capable of crushing or smashing through durasteel with relative ease." part, Durasteel is pretty darn dense and durable, a product of modern metallurgy that surpasses even reinforced steel. As such, I won't be letting your Nahant one-punch through its sheets but instead require time and multiple hits to get through it.
So, what I would want you to write is what method they use against Durasteel, whether they pierce with their claws, crush it with steady application of pressure, or break through with blunt trauma (punch through) and then we'll see about setting some examples of attacks and which armor rating they would work against.

Silent Communications and Hand of Dwarves look pretty good, so let's work on polishing out the concerns in other Strength points first before moving on to Weaknesses.

Tag me in once you're done.

Okay finished.

Oh and I know that Jade is not as hard as diamond, it is tougher though if you use the Toughness scale. Jade, both types, has a rating of exceptional, while Diamond is only good. Sorry just didn't want to sound stupid when it read that it was tougher than diamond but was equal to jade. :)

[member="HK-36"]

HK-36

[member="Harrip"]
Ah, alright, I gotcha,

And the edits look good, just for Muscles of Steel I want you to list the armor rating at which they start damaging their hands noticeably, so that will be the range in which they can damage armor effectively, anything after that, they're trading in damage to their bodies for damage to armor.

Alright, moving on to Weaknesses,
For Bright Days, I would like you to add in mention on how they react to flashbangs and other large flashes of light, such as illusions created from the Force, and smaller flashes, like muzzle flush of a blaster or slugthrower, or a lightsaber being activated, so I can get a sense of how their photo-sensitivity can affect them on every-day and in combat.

And in Rock Munchers, could you elaborate on the mild allergies they have to spores in most Flowers and Plants? Give me examples of the symptoms those can cause and to what extend the allergies can go (whether it's lethal at one point or not)?

Also,
in Average Lifespan you still have "Albinos" instead of "Mutants" :p

Good news is, I read the sub once more up to the Culture section and nothing other than the three points above stood out to me, so address these concerns, tag me in, and this is most of your sub edits done :p Almost ready for approval

[member="HK-36"]

Thanks again for all the help! Its good to know that we are almost finished. And thank you for reminding me about the Albinos thing.

Looking forward to the next review portion.

HK-36

[member="Harrip"]

Awesome, good edits,

In culture I would like to see something described about how their choose their mates, how the young are born (I'm not entirely certain whether they are a silica, mammalian, reptilian, or amphibian species :p) and something to do about any religious practices they could have.

And now we come to History, and here's my concern,
Makeb was made inhabitable by the Sith at the end of the The Old Republic story-arc, that would have usually been a red flag for me, but the reason I allowed Nahant to be made for Makeb was because in our time line, before the Gulag Plague has struck the Galaxy, setting up evens for the Chaos Forums, many worlds, including Makeb, were rebuilt by the Yuzhaan Vong and other races. That's why we still have Byss or Alderaan around, worlds were rebuilt or restored.

So, what I want you to do is put in a paragraph about how the Nahant dealt with the ecosystem destruction of their planet, whether surviving off-world or deep in their caverns, then what was their reaction to Vong restoring the ecosystem of Makeb and the Isotope 5 ore veins, and what they were up to during the Gulag Plague when pretty much the Galaxy went into Dark Ages and there was no interstellar travel done between planets.

And with that, we would be pretty much done :p

So tag me in once you address those concerns, please.

HK-36

[member="Harrip"]

Yep, great edits, I read through it once more and I saw that you've fixed some of the grammatical errors I was going to ask you to address, so with that,

I hereby give this submission my blessings,
Pending Secondary Approval,

Thank you for your cooperation, it's an excellent sub to start off with, and remember to tip your waitresses Anna and Eli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom