Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech NADIR G-SERIES Guided ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.
gYiSXkw.gif

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION

• Manufacturer: Nadir

• Model: NADIR G-SERIES Guided ammunition

• Affiliation: Closed-Market

• Modularity: Available in all standard rifle cartridge sizes

• Production: Semi-Unique

• Material: Electronic components, Slugthrower ammunition
SPECIAL FEATURES

• Guided ammunition

• UI/HUD integration
Strengths:

• Accuracy: Dramatically increases the accuracy of the projectile to the point that even an average marksman will show results compared to a trained professional. Now imagine what a trained sniper can do with this.

• Effective range: The guidance system can also counteract bullet drop to a degree, leading to longer effective ranges compared to normal ammunition of the same size.
Weaknesses:

• First shot: The painter round is always unguided, and as such must still hit the intended target. If the shooter misses and doesn’t realize this, they may well fire the rest of their egregiously expensive magazine at something completely random.

• Long shot: As a rather simple result of bullet velocity and the limitations of the guidance mechanisms, the margin of correction is much smaller the closer the target is. This capacity for correction translates into roughly 10% of the range one is shooting at. In practical terms, it would mean 10 cm at 100 m, or 2 m at 2000 m. Needless to say, the guided ammunition truly comes into its own at longer ranges, where it's also the most useful.

• Plug in baby: The user absolutely must have either a fully functional armor HUD or, in a worst-case scenario, something like a wrist-mounted datalogger. The function of a round can only be determined electronically (as they are mechanically identical), and as such cannot be done manually.

• Size queen: Due to a need for a bullet with a certain heft, the G-series ammunition is only available for rifle cartridges. It is unavailable for any type of small arms ammunition. The maximum magazine size it is sold in holds 10 rounds.

• EMP/Ion: If the magazine is hit by a shot from either type of weapon, the electronics may cease working for a time – this depends on the strength of the weapon and the proximity of the attacker. If such occurs, the ammunition will behave as normal until the internals reboot, which can take up to half a minute.

• Expensive: While not normally a concern for those willing to pay the right price for munitions, the sheer expense of the item prevents preemptive production due to growing concern of lacking investors who are willing to pay top price. As with all G-series items, this price cannot be one of credits, but only in favors or items of comparable value.
DESCRIPTION

Need someone killed but you suck at aiming? Great at the first shot but that recoil seems to always ruin the follow through? Well, consider your problem solved, if you can pay the price for it.

Introducing the Guerrilla-series Guided ammunition, Nadir is pleased to offer the advanced marriage of guidance technology with smart slugthrower tracking software. Together, the effect produced is both distinguished and unique. Imagine, if you will, a world where no matter where the barrel of a gun is aimed, the bullets always go to the intended location.

This is, of course, the stuff of sniper wet dreams and third-rate action Holovids.

Nadir, however, comes damn karking close.

Each bullet has the ability to either track or paint the target, electronically determined via the UI by designating a tracker or painter round. Once a target has been hit with a painter round, all tracker rounds adjust their course towards that intended location – even if the target moves, such as someone wearing armor who doesn’t go down with the first shot.

If a painter round hasn’t been selected and shot at the target, the bullets will behave just like normal ammunition – albeit at the high-grain end of the scale – for their size.

But you probably don’t want to do that. You know, because it’s expensive. Nadir won’t complain, though.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
My primary concern is that this will turn into something like Gary Oldman going ham in the Fifth Element. I can think of several ways to guide the ammunition in flight, but none that would allow it to make such violent maneuvers in such a tight space. The G-forces incurred wouldn't do either the bullet or the guidance system any favors, I suspect, and there's no way to put an inertial damper on a projectile that small. At least, not one that I know of.

So. The most practical way to go about this is to limit how far off target the round can be fired and still expect it to correct at a given range. If you're shooting at something right in front of you, you'd have much less room to play with, as opposed to hitting a target two or three kilometers out. I'll leave the exact numbers up to you, but 5 degrees of offset for every hundred meters sounds about right in my head. You'll get the most utility out of it at extreme range, which is where you'd need it the most.

Also, would you entertain the idea of restricting this to sniper rifle rounds? The idea of this being used on a carbine or assault rifle is kinda terrifying, when you think of it.

[member="Aver Brand"]

[member="Rusty"]

Added the effectiveness at range caveat:

Aver Brand said:
Long shot: As a rather simple result of bullet velocity and the limitations of the guidance mechanisms, the margin of correction is much smaller the closer the target is. This capacity for correction translates into roughly 10% of the range one is shooting at. In practical terms, it would mean 10 cm at 100 m, or 2 m at 2000 m. Needless to say, the guided ammunition truly comes into its own at longer ranges, where it's also the most useful.
As for the sniper rifle rounds restriction... I'm not sure how workable it is? There are cartridges that are used both in carbines / assault rifles and sniper rifles, like the ubiquitous 7.62×51mm. I'm sure there's more examples, but that's just one of them.

The closest I could think to putting a limit that'd work in that direction is the maximum magazine size these come in. And even then it's not perfect. Would a 10-round max magazine work? I'm open to other suggestions, but that's the only one off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom