Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Not All That Glitters is Kyber

sɪɴɴᴇʀs ʙʏ ᴅᴇᴇᴅ ʙᴜᴛ ʀɪɢʜᴛᴇᴏᴜs sᴛɪʟʟ

vrAtM7D.png

C R E W - L O U N G E

Joti was sat on the sofa with one arm over the backrest and the other resting over her holster, A single finger stroking the leather between herself and her pistol, Eager to get things started.

"I say we lure him in with the distress call. He's obligated by galactic law to aid any and all distressed vessels and if he's as much of a hut'uun as the file says, Than he wouldn't risk purging the log and leaving. If we play our cards right, He just might let us aboard and then we can hijack the cutter. If we hold the bridge and the rodian, We hold the ship itself." What she suggested was downright piracy and she knew it, But... She didn't see another viable option right now and she wanted this done and dealt with soon.

"Maybe one of us can play wounded? We say we were attacked by pirates and damaged during the retreat. He lets us aboard visit the medical bay, And that's when we nab him. He takes us to the bridge, We seal ourselves in and go from there.

"It's dangerous but this is the least risk I can think of right now. We'll have to figure out what to do with this thing once we get to the station though... We'll either have to round up the entire crew and put them in the brig or find another means of insurance. Maybe someone can stay behind and guard him on the bridge? I could do that... I've been a bounty hunter since I was a kid, So I know how to hold an acquisition. I'd probably stick out on the station anyway..." She sighs, Considering smoking another one of her special cigs. She was anxious again now that they were so close...

gcI0g1h.png

They were off to rest before arrival. Tek in his time further tested out the oil. Fairly convinced that it was not going to kill him. He began to use it. Afterwards he put on the viper-mk-i-skinsuit and g1-omnilink, then put his clothes over them. He still had the gloves showing, but otherwise he was simply just wearing regular clothes.

And then he just found somewhere to lay down and think. About the current situation, about mandalorians, about himself. This was after-all so much closer to what he ever wanted. It was going to involve action going to be...different. Adventurous. Hunting was fine, but it had a tendency to become kind of mono-tone. Good tone, but monotone still.

Add on top of that, there was this new information about mandalorians. About how close he was to being like them. Not that he had anything against Jashin, or anyone else really. But he couldn't deny just how tempting it was. To be in a group where he could feel akin to them. Sure, he doubted he'd meet many other nautolans in them. But that wasn't the point. Still, he'd watch, and he'd think on it harder. And if he made a decision he'd know who to ask questions about it.

-----------------LATER---------------------
He came out to meet the others when Roth Likonis Roth Likonis would start on the situation. So it was easy to destroy, but extremely fast. So, the guy wasn't even going to be in one place long. He was a relatively un-interesting man, and hopefully that would make it easier. Two suggestions, fake distress signal, and get them while they're grounded. Jashin took in a breath thinking it over.

Just like a fish. he thought. Aloy Vizsla Aloy Vizsla was for the distress signal, and Tek was leaning that way as well. If only for the fact it felt so familiar to him. Hijack the ship and take their place after they're allowed on board. If they get that far. He nodded along as they went. "Yeah, distress signal makes sense. This is a pretty familiar scenario, playing injured. Though playing injured to people and playing injured to carnivorous sea life are very different things. Only issue here is if we accidentally attract someone else's help. We'd have to time it right and be sure we get the one we actually want."

He set his spear blaster down and leaned against a wall thinking, "I could potentially play injured if that's really what it takes. Might be able to be convincing enough. Though...I might actually have to hurt myself, just not as seriously as I'll pretend it is. Good cut on the leg maybe, say I barely remembered what happened, just occurred when the ship got hit. Smear some blood on somewhere jagged in the ship if we want to be a little extra convincing, not that I want to smear blood or cut a wound deep enough to do that."

Jashin looked thoughtful, then nodded in agreement, leaning forward and putting his boots to the deck plating once more. "I agree. We leak some coolant, muddy the engine output a little, fake some injuries. I think Tek has the right idea - he can play injured - Joti can stay hidden and jump the boarders. I'll hide myself, then sneak onto their cutter and secure it." Jashin nodded to himself, already liking the idea. "If we do this right, we should be able to be pretty convincing. I can, in theory, even limit the comm signal - limited power means it'll be a weak signal, so it will only reach their cutter." Jashin paused, then grimaced slightly. "Let's try to keep casualties down to a minimum. We're thieves and it's not like this is an evil empire we're fighting; it's a middle-manager and some corporate guards."

There was work to do. Standing, jashin shook his head, heading towards the circuitry bay and the engine access crawl-space. "I'll make the modifications. We've only got a few minutes, though. I suggest we hurry." Running now, Jashin hurried into the circuitry bay, accessing some of the secondary systems. Comms was easy; he decreased power to the transceiver by eighty percent, then deactivated the transceiver's modulator. It'd be nice and weak and garbled. Engines were a little harder; deactivating them wasn't a good idea, but he could make half sputter somewhat, faking some kind of malfunction. He settled on creating a minor glitch in the power-flow valves - if it needed to be reversed, it could be done in a pinch. The reactor leak...was harder. Much harder.

"Joti." Said Jashin, signaling her on his commlink. "We're going to need to dump some coolant once we exit hyperspace - if they see it coming out of the emergency-pressure release ports, they'll know we're doing it intentionally. I'm going to mess with the containment shielding on the reactor - channel some of the rads up and out of the ship. It will only look convincing if you keep the dorsal surface of the ship pointed towards their cutter."

Tek Tek Aloy Vizsla Aloy Vizsla

vrAtM7D.png

"You don't have to worry, Moonfish. I'm here for the fight, Not the kill." She says solemnly, Slipping her helm over her head as she stands and heads for the cockpit. It was an odd thing, A warrior that loved fighting but hated not killing. She'd always done her best to kill only as needed and to remember the "Little people" wherever she was. There were warriors, Enemies performing the art of war same as she, And then there were those caught in the middle. Just like the supercommandos of old, She believed in being strong to defend the weak... Uncharacteristic she thought, For someone who makes their living hunting bounties and guarding arms deals... She was as guilty as any murderer out there, And she knew it. But she couldn't bring herself to fall any lower. What would be left to hold onto?

Entering the cockpit, She takes a seat and begins flicking various switches, Channeling radiation and gently drifting the vessel to the specifications of Moonfish's plan.

With the ship drifting, She leaves in search of a hiding place.
That would be a little more difficult... The cargo hold might work, But they'd probably split up and then she'd have to work harder and perform slower, Which was not an option now. She'd have to jump them at the same time and hit them fast.

Wait...

Jump...

She finds a place up high in one of the halls near the entrance and leaps up, Using her grappling line and magnetic boots to climb up between the large pipes overhead, Where she could drop down with her stun button and take out the boarders in one go.

<"I'n position...">
gcI0g1h.png

Jashin agreed. Time for Tek to start preparing to play bait. He took in a breath. "Time for some open wounds." he said with a smile, even though he knew full well to make this look right it had to hurt. They were all off to do their respective jobs and Tek started looking for a good explanation, he checked for anywhere hard and blunt. And when he found something suitable, slammed his forehead on it grunting from the impact. He was fine, he'd had way worse, the point was to create a slight bruise and appearance that he'd hit it hard.

Next he sat down, rolled up the pants leg and skin suit, and cut into the side of his shin as he grimaced, just deep enough to draw blood, not deep enough to do any real damage. It did however seep plenty through the pants leg. And from there he got something to tie it off with. Another intent to make it look worse then it really was. He set his spearblaster to the side nearer the entrance but out of sight.

He made his way back to the cockpit, slumping himself in a chair. And waited. Although unnecessary, Tek was actually also ended up producing the chemicals that he normally would have if asking for help. Naturally to most species this would do absolutely nothing, they just wouldn't sense it as they didn't have the organs for it. But it was almost habit. He didn't normally lie, but he was surprisingly good at it. You just have to have the state of mind.

Right now, the state of mind was that of someone who narrowly escaped pirates. Ship had suffered some hits, he hit his head, somehow got his leg cut pretty bad, and just barely made the jump to hyperspace. Ship was damaged and now he just was waiting for help.

Roth Likonis Roth Likonis Aloy Vizsla Aloy Vizsla

For his part, Jashin put the finishing touches on things by dimming the lights in some of the rooms and halls, while making others flicker. It wouldn’t due to have reactor “malfunctions” without any internal signs, after all. Lastly, he set some of the bulkheads closed, others open, and still others half jammed open.

The starboard cargo bay, just next to the starboard ramp and airlock, was one such access that he left jammed half open.

Making his was down the hall, he squeezed between those doors, ducking to the side of the bulkhead so that he’d have a view of the hallway through the jammed doors. With the lights dim, off, or otherwise flickering - well, they’d have a hard time seeing him, let alone getting to him.

“If it even comes to that.” Muttered Jashin. ::In position.:: Whispered Jashin, into his sleeve-comm.

==========================

They had to wait longer than Jashin had thought. He was getting drowsy; his stiff and adrenaline fueled position next to the bulkhead turning into more of a slouch, his once darting eyes heavy-lidded.

::Modified YT-1300, we have registered your distress and are moving to intercept. Repeat: modified YT-1300, we have registered your distress and are moving to intercept. Does anyone copy.:: Came the authoritative voice over the comms. Very masculine, very official, and very soldier.

Jashin jumped as the message rang out through the ship, startling him. The ship was so quiet, with everyone waiting, that the comms sounded deafening::Here we go. Bring it home Tek.::

vrAtM7D.png

Sure are taking their time, she thought. Her arms were starting get a little sore. She was a bounty hunter, Not some commando, and her training regime went accordingly. Ugh. She focused on watching for Moonfish's alterations to distract herself. The flickering lights, The randomly jammed, shut or open doors, It was clever. It's the sort of thing she'd have done if only she had the inspiration, But Moonfish had come up with it all on his own. Interesting.

Eventually, The distress signal is answered by what she assumes to be the cutter, Though the authoritative military voice meant there was always the possibility that someone else had found them. Not a comfortable thought, But a possibility to prepare for nonetheless.

With her cue now blaring over the comms throughout the ship, Her vision suddenly turns green as her nightvision visor activates, Illuminating the interior to her and her alone. Her plan was to simply draw her stun button and drop when the time came, Which should be the end of it. If she really had to fight it out after the fact, She could use her paralyzing dartcaster or her grapple line. Numbers wouldn't be an issue either, So long as she timed this right. That thought might make her sound overconfident in her abilities, Which might even be true, But fact was she had the training to back it up. All that was left was to prove it.

Her companion's abilities though, That was another question. Tek seemed to have the right attitude, He was indeed a fight which made her a little more comfortable working with him, But she questioned his overall experience and skills set, Though admittedly, She looked forward to the possibility of seeing him in action. Moonfish however was a mystery. She couldn't decide what he was. A smuggler? Pirate maybe? Or just a thief... Whatever he was, She hadn't the foggiest clue how he'd preform, But hopefully he'd be as clever in battle as he was in his scheming.

gcI0g1h.png

Tek waited, putting himself into a state of false reality in a way. He sat, eyes half opened, slouching in the chair, until finally he heard a response. He reached forwards, whether they could see him or not, his entire body spoke of distress. He took in memories of times when he was actually injured more seriously, he was a fighter, he knew of times and knew fear.

His words came out fast, "I copy! I copy! Oh thank the stars!" His voice a mix of stress and relief, "Pirates, the ship got hit, I don't even remember where at this point. Somehow I screwed my leg up bad, I'm pretty sure my hyperdrive was on fire earlier! Do they do that? Maybe it was the engine. No that's not right. You don't happen to have some something for pain on your ship do you? Or stress? Or anxiety? Maybe you have a med-droid that could help? Sorry, I'm talking too fast, talking too much I mean. I was so sure I had some but I can't figure out where they are. I hit my head, either that or there's a parasite growing in my skull. OH yeah, my ships junked I think. And if it isn't BOY is this gonna cost me. Last mechanic I paid flipping 20,000 credits for a new air conditioning system that only works half the time. Oh sorry, still talking. I'll shut up now, I mean I need help? Ok I'll shut up now."

He mumbled for another two or three seconds about comm switches being finicky before stopping his signals going on. Shock. It was much easier to fake shock of someone inexperienced than it was to fake simple fear. When you were afraid, you could still act rational up to a point. People in shock could have all sorts of responses that an average person wouldn't be able to know the difference from. And it wasn't like they could check for his dilated his pupils were, or how fast his hearts were pumping, even if they knew how.

Best to just act in shock so their attention was off the blubbering idiot in the cockpit overpaying for faulty air conditioning.

Aloy Vizsla Aloy Vizsla Roth Likonis Roth Likonis

There was silence on the other end. Thirty seconds, then a minute, then a minute and a half...then, finally, the comm squawked in reply. ::Roger, pilot. You seem to be in shock. Why don't you sit yourself down. We'll be there promptly. MGC143 over and out.:: Then the comms went silent.

Inwardly, Jashin sighed in relief. MGC143 sounded like a stock manufacture assigned callsign, and MGC could only stand for "Mining Guild Cutter". It seemed they had hooked the right ship. Only bare moments later, the entire freighter shuddered as docking clamps latched onto the starboard airlock - then it shuddered again, as the two ships made contact proper. "Showtime." Muttered Jashin, flicking the No-show on his wrist on. The device hummed briefly, and his skin pricked as what felt like static electricity washed over his body. "That tickles." He said - but though his vocal chords vibrated, no sound came out. Experimentally, he shuffled his feet, and ruffled his coat. Again, no sound. 'Cool.' He mouthed wordlessly, a smile spreading over his face. From the instructions he knew it would also hide his bio-signature as well as his thermal signature from passive and active scans. This...would make things much easier. In a way, it felt like cheating.

There was a flash in the hall, and Jashin winced, averting his eyes from the actinic light.
Someone was using a plasma torch on the airlock. Jashin braced himself, waiting; with a final flash, the torch cut through the plating, and the airlock whooshed open, revealing two Mining Guild corporate troopers. They reminded Jashin of Espos, though their armor was plastoid laminate, with plates on the legs, and on the abdomen. They seemed to be relatively lightly armed, each holding a short-barreled blaster rifle. The way they moved, though, indicated they were highly trained; instantly, tactical lights mounted underneath the rifles snapped on, and they carefully proceeded down the hallway.

Jashin let them pass. They'd be the Mandalorian's problem. As they headed towards the cockpit, Jashin slipped between the doors, silent as a ghost, and turned the corner out of their sight - heading towards the airlock. As he came close to the airlock, he unholstered the CS14 pistol from its shoulder holster - as he did so, he picked up a small piece of metal that had once belonged to the airlock, wary of the hot edges.

Silently, he sidled up to the airlock, pressing himself flat against the wall. Using the reflective surface of the metal shard, he looked around the corner - into the cutter proper. The cutter was a small ship, apparently - essentially a single long hallway with the cockpit console at one end, inset bunks in the middle, and the engine compartment at the rear. At the front, a MG trooper manned the ship controls, while the remaining trooper stood next to a nervous looking Rodian. The trooper was currently talking to the rodian, apparently trying to reassure him. The airlock was situated just behind the bunks, closer to the engine compartment - Jashin would have a long hallway to overcome. The rodian and trooper were glancing at the airlock, and the trooper's rifle was pointed down the hall, ready to fire. But the rodian was causing trouble, and the trooper was frequently glancing at the alien. The pilot, meanwhile, had his rifle propped up to the side, but was mainly busy with the console - as he should be, considering that they didn't know if there were any pirates lurking nearby.

The trooper glanced at the airlock, then the rodian. He muttered something reassuring. Back to the airlock. His gaze was steady. The rodian said something peevishly. The trooper rolled his eyes, exasperated, and turned his head back towards the rodian to snap at his employer.

Jashin moved.

He flicked his arm towards the front of the ship, the metal sliver he had picked up clattering against one of the flight consoles near the pilot. The trooper and the rodian spun towards the front of the ship startled - the pilot turning to his left. As they did so, Jashin stepped into the hall, running towards the distracted trooper; adrenaline surged, he felt his body go cold - and all around him time slowed like molasses. Jashin didn't have much combat training when compared to a mandalorian or a soldier - what training he had was primarily centered on stealth, misdirection, traps, and skullduggery. His formal training in Hijkata focused on deflection and reflection in hand to hand combat, while his weapons training was primarily in small arms. Compared to the technological arsenal of Joti and the professional training and drills of the corporate troopers, that wasn't much.

Enter Jashin's dirty secret. As he moved, time moved slower and slower, his targets easily moving at a half of their normal speed, then a third of their normal speed, and, finally, at a quarter of their normal speed. Every breath felt like a long gasp of air; every footfall a shuddering affair that sent vibrations up his leg in small quakes; every sound was drawn out and distorted. As he ran, in slow motion, Jashin's eyes dilated; and at once all the world became sharper and more acute. He could see the lights reflecting off of the rodian's multifaceted eyes; he could see the small bead of sweat running down the back of the MG trooper's neck; he could see the cockpit avionics lights in brilliant neon detail. His ears similarly sharpened; his footfalls became booming thuds, he could hear the rasp of air and mucus as the rodian gasped in alarm, and he could hear the trooper as he flicked the safety off his weapon.

Cybernetics. Specifically a RIMpack nerve induction enhancement working in concert with Hifold sensory package; Jashin had learned some time ago that one didn't have to be the best and most well-trained fighter in the galaxy. You just had to be clever, perceptive, and fast. Jashin was all three with cybernetics, and that was more than enough for most enemies - barring a force user, an actual battlefield, or large groups of enemies, Jashin would be just fine against these common troopers.

Jashin surged forward, his footsteps muted by the no-show. The closest trooper and his rodian companion were still investigating the noise, the pilot being the first to visually see Jashin - already he was reaching for his rifle, shouting a warning to his companions. But Jashin was already too close. Closing the distance with the first trooper, Jashin's gun arm swung up and out jabbing into the mans ribs - between his armor plates - the pistol discharging a stunblast point blank into the trooper. The trooper began to fall, and the rodian let out such a piercing scream that it made Jashin stumble and wince due to his enhanced ears. The pilot took advantage of that stumble, grabbing his rifle, and dropping down into a kneeling position to take aim.

Jashin had long recovered of course.
Having plenty of time to evaluate the stumble and the remaining soldier's rate of movement, he had opted instead to fall into the stumble, converting it into a roll. As the soldier kneeled and took aim, Jashin rolled from the ground and swept with his leg, knocking the soldier onto his side. Following through with the movement, Jashin rose as the soldier recovered - just in time to plant his shin into the soldiers face in a well placed kick. The soldier's head snapped backward and he unceremoniously collided with one of the flight panels. Then, he slumped to the ground, out cold. Behind Jashin the rodian ran, and Jashin turned, leveled his blaster at the fleeing rodian, and fired a sizzling stun bolt into the rodian's back. Promptly and unceremoniously, the rodian collapsed to the ground.

With a silent sigh Jashin turned off the No-show and flicked his cybernetics off with a mental command; bringing his sleeve up to his mouth he muttered into his commlink. ::Starship and target secured.::

Last edited:
(OOC readers note: Aloy has left the thread due to a variety of reasons, and this double post is to rectify and explain that disappearance)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jashin was busy pulling the unconscious guardsmen into the escape pod when, quite suddenly, the cutter's holopod (a small thing inset into the communications console) hummed to life. There the Mirrorman was in profile, his reflective visage unreadable.

"Uh..." Began Jashin, pushing the last guard into the escape pod, quire surprised. He was cut off by the Mirrorman, who raised a hand in response.

"Change of plans. Joti will have to depart from your group. I need her expertise." The words were short, clipped. Something certainly seemed wrong; but that didn't stop Jashin from laughing, shaking his head, and flipping a rude gesture to the hologram.

"Like hell she is! We just got this crew together. We can't go down a man literally as we're starting the job!" As he spoke, he secured the rodian's hands and feet with a little bit of syntherope - doing a quick frisk of the alien for any comm devices or hidden weapons.

"This isn't negotiable Jashin." The Mirrorman said flatly.

"You give me one good reason why. One. Or I'm walking. Right now." Said Jashin in response. He wasn't bluffing. The mission was dangerous enough with three people. With only two...Jashin was rather sure it would be impossible. Jashin wasn't some double zero super-spy or something, and Tek wasn't waterman (a popular superhero that could control water and undersea creatures). They had skills, sure. But their main fighter leaving...that was going to massively complicate things.

"I have a cell that is under attack by Mandalorians; the intel and value of the cell itself set aside, these Mandalorians know Joti on a...personal...basis. I need her to go there and deal with the problem, Mando to Mando." Mirrorman held up a hand as Jashin began to argue. "Jashin! Do you honestly believe that there is anyone aside from a Mandalorian, that can successfully negotiate with a group of Mandalorians? Peacefully? Without winding up dead themselves?"

The Mirrorman had a point; and Jashin could see it. He would've done the same thing, if the positions were reversed. But that didn't resolve their problem. "And what about us? Do we get a third man? Do we continue with the job?" Jashin said the words grudgingly, his reluctance more than evident.

"...No. There's no one within range, and your window of opportunity runs out in a few days." The Mirrorman paused. "Whether you attempt the job is up to you. If you wish, I can assign you a different task more suited to a two man team. Let me know."

The holoprojector shut off with a whir, and Jashin swore loudly and emphatically.

At that moment, Joti appeared, carrying the other two guardsmen. They appeared to be stunned, and she unceremoniously dropped them on the floor inside the cutter. "...We'll take the cutter. Good luck." Joti, for her part, only nodded. Like Jashin, she didn't seem to be one for goodbyes. So instead the pair turned away from each other - and that was that. "Tek! Get your squid-ass in here, we've got chit to sort out! Frell, stupid, stupid, stupid job! Karabast!"

Jashin shoved a third guard into the escape pod, waiting for Tek.

Tek Tek

Roth Likonis Roth Likonis

Things went fast, he was convincing enough, and fortunately didn't have to keep the lie going for long. They were on their way, which meant the biggest part was done, get them to dock and enter. Really taking care of them wasn't too hard, they came to Tek, and they had Joti available as well. Tek was used to brawling and creature fighting and his species already had physical advantages not all others did, throw on top of that the force sensitivity, and trained or not the guards weren't going to do much.

He went to clean himself up afterwards, bandaging his leg and giving just a few quick stitches to the pants to hold them together until he properly patched it up. And then there was the argument, Tek heard some of it. Mainly he heard that they were down Joti, which was, aside from the issue, rather disappointing. He'd really been looking forward to trying to see how a mandalorian lived and now that was not an option. But just as much he began to feel the stress of the upcoming problem. Going from five to four wasn't usually a big deal for most things. Four to three was painful, but manageable. But going from three to two was downright awful. At this rate only one person was going to end up doing the job.

He came in to help shove the people into their escape pod. Giving Joti a nod and smile on her way out. "Maybe we'll meet again somewhere." he said.

Now they had an issue. Tek leaned against the wall in thought, holding his arms crossed,
"We're not gonna succeed are we?" he asked rhetorically, "Technically, we're not just down Joti. We're down whoever we were supposed to get originally as well. This went from a four man job to two. We've been cut in half, and my experience at infiltration relies on apparently a skill at lying, and water creatures."

He held out his hands, "That's not exactly the highest skill level."

Now they had an issue. Tek leaned against the wall in thought, holding his arms crossed, "We're not gonna succeed are we?" he asked rhetorically, "Technically, we're not just down Joti. We're down whoever we were supposed to get originally as well. This went from a four man job to two. We've been cut in half, and my experience at infiltration relies on apparently a skill at lying, and water creatures."

He held out his hands, "That's not exactly the highest skill level."

The Cutter shuddered as Joti's freighter detached, and, in the dark of the interior cabin, Jashin watched as the ship passed them, oriented away from them, then jumped to hyperspace in a flash of light. For a long moment after Tek spoke, Jashin was silent. "...No. We're not going to succeed." Said Jashin eventually, sighing heavily and resting against the bulkhead of the narrow corridor. "I mean I'm not much better myself. I've got some fighting ability. Lot of deception and tricks. But at the end of the day...two people can only do so much. Joti was no supercommando. I was no super-spy. And you're not some grizzled hunter of the deep. That was the point. We needed each other. Now...now I'm not so sure." Jashin snorted, walking up the corridor towards the cockpit. "I mean, why even try? It's a literal suicide mission. It was risky with four, insane with three. With two, and down our main fighter to boot?"

Jashin let the question hang in the air, and snorted to himself. Sliding into the pilot's seat, he took stock of the ship. It was lightly armored and shielded, with just a nose mounted repeating laser cannon and a dorsal twin laser cannon turret. But it was fast; wicked fast. In a way, the Cutter suited him. It was just his style. Albeit, he preferred a few extra centimeters of armor plating between him and his enemies. "I don't know, maybe we call this whole thing off. I'm keeping the ship, I need something out of all this, but I'm happy to drop you off anywhere you - "

<BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!>

"The hell is that?" Brow furrowing, Jashin flicked the toggle on the passive proximity scanner, then swore at what he saw. "Fierfek! Starfighters! We've been made!" A lot of things happened in that moment. Jashin clicked his safety belt into place, before yanking on the cutter's controls so hard that the metal groaned and the inertial compensators strained - they were pulling so many G's that even inside the starship, the occupants could feel the forces as stomachs dropped and Jashin was pressed into his seat. Outside, the starfield spun as Jashin twisted the fighter in a dive - down, down, down back towards the icy moons surface far below. Slapping a hand against the console when he had a hand free, a small hatch opened on the ceiling middle way down the corridor. "Get in the frelling turret! They're going to be on us in seconds!"

Tek Tek

Last edited:

Dr. Siva Signos

D
Class1000cruiser.png

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

General Cain stood on the command deck of the Avarice, an aging though retrofitted Munifex-class light cruiser that had seen better days. A stone-faced man, the mercenary general was all hard features and flinty eyes, sporting a gray and black officer's uniform that was adorned with several faded war medals on his left breast. Even now, subconsciously, he polished the medals with his sleeve in a preening-like gesture that had contributed greatly to their fading. "Report!" He barked, his voice echoing out over the command deck. His soldiers didn't flinch; well trained, this was far from their first battle.

"Sir! No sensor contacts! They may have rabbited!" Replied a sensor technician quickly, her eyes glued to a sensor console in the recessed tech pit under Cain's feet. General Cain grunted and turned, his polished boots clicking, to regard the mysterious hologram that dominated the Avarice's central holotank.

"A deal is a deal Mirrorman. Where are they." He growled to the holographic apparition. "If you've betrayed me, so help me..." The threat hung pregnant in the air; yet the hologram remained impassive and unreadable.

"I've secured your kyber. I'm paying you to do this for me." Retorted the Mirrorman, his arms coming up in a shrug. "Why would I give you false information?"

"Why indeed." Mused the general. He was far from a military blockhead - he'd laid his fair share of traps, and no small amount of battles had been carried on the shoulders of a carefully planned ambush. The subtleties of his situation, thus, were not lost on him. "You have to gain something out of this. Tell me what it is, now, or I'll dump the kyber; I'll be damned if I'll be manipulated by a two bit hologram wearing a mirror like some second-year drama student." The general raised a hand at the helmsman, and the human intently watched for the signal to reverse course and carry out the general's orders.

"I needed an individual. A notoriously untrusting individual. I've secured her services, with the help of some unwanted baggage - who had the purpose of making her believe my words and trust my intent." Said the Mirrorman slowly. "So now...I kill two birds with one stone. I get what I need, and you..." The Mirrorman trailed off.

"And I clean up the loose ends. Which is what you probably intended all along. Lies within lies within lies." Finished the general. But he didn't signal to the helmsman to turn around.

"Sir! Contact! One freighter, jumping to hyperspace...and one Mining Guild Cutter, right where intel said it would be." Said the sensor technician quickly, pinpointing the craft's exact position.

"Well, Cain? Do we have a deal?" Inquired the Mirrorman.

"Launch all fighters, plot firing solutions and open fire." Was the general's only reply.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Twelve I-7 Howlrunners swarmed out of the Munifex like a flight of arrows, their dart-like fuselages glinting in the starry void. Shielded, with a tiny profile and low mass, these fast little ships were a grade above TIE fighters in their ability to swarm a target and stay alive while doing so. They would be difficult to destroy with only a single laser cannon turret. The small craft quickly outpaced the larger Munifex behind them, already half-way to the Cutter before it began to turn and then dive toward the planet. The Munifex wasn't out of the fight just yet; it's bulk heaving forward, powerful engines burned as the ship barreled after the faster ships - its some-odd thirty turbolaser thudding away, flinging molten red bolts after the cutter. The faster ship would likely be able to evade the heavy fire; but it would complicate evasive maneuvers that were already tricky due to the starfighters.

Time would tell how our heroes would fare. Time would tell.

Tek Tek Roth Likonis Roth Likonis

Last edited by a moderator:
Tek heard Roth Likonis Roth Likonis respond. He didn't think they could make it work either. None of them were the highest elite, they were good, but not the best. Together that might be enough, but reduced to their current numbers they just couldn't. He suggested just giving up and Tek grunted furrowing his brow in thought, "Yeah...I'm all fine with difficult, but this is...a bit much." he agreed.

At the very least Jashin said the ship was staying his, and was offering to drop him off when Tek felt his heart accelerate. Normally there was a physical reason for that, a movement of the water, the wrong chemical, the wrong color. There was nothing, until the alarms went off, and then went off again. Felt almost like they repeated the process.

Fighters Jashin said, in spite of the situation, Tek's eyes glinted. Then cocked his head, "But...how?" he may have asked it, but he was still running down the hall the moment Jashin said to get to the turrets. There shouldn't be fighters. It didn't make sense. If it was just another regular ship he could accept that, maybe they heard the alert. But fighters? Why?

He was on the turret in moments, feeling the controls and testing the speed of the shot by sending one in the direction of the incoming fighters, but also watching their own speed and response times. A laugh began to emerge from the Nautolan. This was just hunting with another weapon, he fired again at the same one forcing them to change routes to avoid it. His eyes glinted with excitement as he again measured their reaction, and how they chose to turn.

Then he started firing for real, each shot sent where they would be not where they were. Each shot had to be timed precisely right. He aimed to hit them near the tail, not the head. It could help throw off their ability to see where the shots were headed, if they saw them at all. He took advantage of their numbers too, firing where they would overlap, so that what would be an avoidable shot for one, all of the sudden was a surprise for the one behind them. They might be fast, but they were likely organic piloted. And even if they weren't there was only so much that could be done in response to a shot that seemed to be so close.

And all they while he grew more fond of the situation, whatever he claimed about aiming for peace, when it came to violence, he was really enjoying himself.

"But...how?" he may have asked it, but he was still running down the hall the moment Jashin said to get to the turrets. There shouldn't be fighters. It didn't make sense. If it was just another regular ship he could accept that, maybe they heard the alert. But fighters? Why?

The air filled with laser fire, and Jashin juked and rolled his way through space; but the quick little starfighters were an easy match for the Cutter, able to keep up with his evasive movements. The Cutter shuddered, once, twice, three times as laser cannon blasts connected - and Jashin cursed as he shifted the shields from an even spread to double rear, increasing the aft protection. ::Isn't it obvious? We've been betrayed!:: Said Jashin dryly through the intercom. He rolled the Cutter through a particularly complex series of rolls and fades before finishing his thought. ::Tek I'm going to enter atmo, pick your shots and be careful - that turret isn't very shielded at the moment.::

The Cutter spiraled through space, corkscrewing in a rapid twist that strained the hull of the craft as it began to enter atmosphere, the hull of the craft beginning to heat slightly as its energy sheilds took the brunt of the heat from re-entry. Far below, the icy surface of one of the system's moons loomed, becoming ever larger as the seconds passed. Molten red turbolaser bolts streaked past, the larger cannons unable to get a lock on the smaller and quicker craft - they impaced the surface below, throwing up great geysers of ice and flash-heated mist - and in them Jashin saw his chance. He pushed the control column forward, and the craft dove straight down in a frenzied nosedive, the ground rushing upward, the friction from the wind making the Cutter vibrate and shake. Proximity sensors beeped of imminent impact, but Jashin kept the craft steady - the sensor panel ticked down from three hundred...two hundred...one hundred meters. At one hundred meters, Jashin slapped a hand to engage the repulsors, straining back on the control column to pull the Cutter out of its dive.

Icy crags raced by, the furious snow-driven wind of the surface howling as the cutter just barely pulled out of its dive, skimming the surface with meters to spare. Diving through the ice plumes made from the turbolaser impacts, the craft weaved through the mist clouds in an effort to shake its pursuers. For a brief moment, the laser blasts abated - and Jashin took the opportunity to slip the Cutter into a long ice canyon, the slim craft hugging the icy walls as it streaked away from the impact points. "Alright...where are you..." Muttered jashin, the relative stillness setting him on edge. The starfighters would find them in a matter of moments - this was nothing but a diversion. Running a critical eye over the instrument panel, Jashin cursed under his breath. Shields were at critical, though without the barrage they were beginning to trickle charge and recycle. How were they going to get out of this mess?

Tek Tek

Last edited:

Dr. Siva Signos

D
Then he started firing for real, each shot sent where they would be not where they were. Each shot had to be timed precisely right. He aimed to hit them near the tail, not the head. It could help throw off their ability to see where the shots were headed, if they saw them at all. He took advantage of their numbers too, firing where they would overlap, so that what would be an avoidable shot for one, all of the sudden was a surprise for the one behind them. They might be fast, but they were likely organic piloted. And even if they weren't there was only so much that could be done in response to a shot that seemed to be so close.

One starfighter, then two starfighters went up in actinic flame as radioactive fuel detonated in brilliant fashion. But the ten that were left were well trained; seeing that the gunner was a crack shot, they did the only thing that they could do - they backed off to a further distance, allowing them a greater reaction time to compensate for anti-aircraft fire. As they did so, they formed up into three squadrons, Two squadrons of three fighters, and the lead squadron being four fighters. As one, they dipped below the turrets firing arc, firing at a distance at the Cutter's underbelly. While the distance meant that weren't as accurate (much like their turreted nemesis), the sheer number of laser cannons that they could level the Cutter's way insured that their would be constant pressure on the craft. With so little shielding and armor, it would only be a matter of time.

Icy crags raced by, the furious snow-driven wind of the surface howling as the cutter just barely pulled out of its dive, skimming the surface with meters to spare. Diving through the ice plumes made from the turbolaser impacts, the craft weaved through the mist clouds in an effort to shake its pursuers. For a brief moment, the laser blasts abated - and Jashin took the opportunity to slip the Cutter into a long ice canyon, the slim craft hugging the icy walls as it streaked away from the impact points. "Alright...where are you..." Muttered jashin, the relative stillness setting him on edge.

The corkscrewing maneuver put the squadrons in and out of the turret's firing arc, and two more fighters were lost - now down to eight, the squadrons reformed once again, two squadrons of four. Briefly, the Cutter was lost in its dive, the maneuver through the ice and mist obscuring sensor locks and visual identification until a squadron leader saw the knife of a craft skimming through the ice canyons below. As one, the eight craft dove in a similar fashion, approaching at a downward angle to the craft. The attack vector would give them a wide open target at the Cutter. Likewise, the turret would have its chance as well. It was time to do or die.

Tek Tek

Betrayed, well...that was the logical solution. Though it didn't bode well then. Now they were down to two and had no allies left. He didn't really have time to think on it though, technically, glassy did give him adventure. He didn't think about now as the end, Tek could see stakes, but he didn't necessarily feel them. Or if he did, it was what made him so excited.

He managed to take out a few fighters, not easy to hit given their size. Even with his skill at it, they moved so fast that they had too much time to respond even after the blaster left the cannons. Most of his hits were tricks, luck, or when they weren't looking. But they were figuring it out too. And the less in the air, the less he could use them to obscure his shots.

Tek heard the warning from Roth Likonis Roth Likonis about picking shots and lack of shielding, "Thanks." he said quickly, readjusting his methods. Instead of aiming for kills, he aimed to force them to dodge so that they didn't have the chance to keep firing on him priority and the ship secondarily. Unfortunately, with only one gunner, they'd found a way to stay almost entirely out of his area of control.

Then they were in the atmosphere, Tek gripped his seat as they raced so close to the ground, his face beaming from the speed and absurdity of it all. And then they stopped, her turned the turret quickly, breathing in, his black eyes staring out waiting for the enemy to inevitably appear.

And there they were, he let loose. The turret had stronger and larger bolts than the squadron did. He moved it in an unusual pattern. Some of the shots were pre-emptive to make them make a move he wanted. Or so that his next shot would be even harder to avoid. But it was more than that, he aimed at their firing path when he couldn't hit them directly. Intent on making the blasts intersect acting almost like a flak-gun but for blaster bolts by hitting them with bigger blasts. This was mainly meant to act as a surprise, make them try and think about how to get around such a method, and then shoot them down in their split moment.

The cutter spun through the ice plumes, the slim craft snaking through ice canyons - the turret thumped amidships, and Jashin could see the explosions and detonations bloom on the ship's scopes. But more craft were incoming, and the cruiser would be bearing down on them quickly. There was...really only one way to get out of this.

Jashin pulled back on the control stick, and the craft rapidly gained altitude. The thrusters strained, and the whole frame seemed to vibrate and shudder. Eight hundred...nine hundred...a thousand...eleven hundred...twelve hundred; the craft topped out at twelve hundred and fifty kilometers per hour, the engines screaming, the atmosphere and clouds whipping past as the craft streaked upward into the sky, into the stars.

:Tek! Keep them off us! We're jumping!: Yelled Jashin, his voice strained. One hand on the stick, the other was frantically bringing up the navicomputer - blindly punching in commands. "C'mon! Anywhere will do!" The navicomputer thought for what seemed an interminable amount of time then finally spat out a list of coordinates. Jashin selected the one with the shortest calculation time. Thirty seconds. A jump and a skip.

The craft escaped the clouds and the cruiser loomed ahead.

Twenty five seconds.
The cutter spiraled and corkscrewed, evading and feinting as turbolaser blasts filled the space between the cutter and the cruiser.
Twenty seconds.
The cutter surged forward, plowing through a fresh squadron of fighters - reinforcements arriving - the cutter's cannons thumping.
Fifteen seconds.
The shields sputtered out. The ship began to shudder in earnest - the violent buffeting of cannon detonations threatening to tear the ship apart.
Ten seconds.
The cutter's port engine was trailing smoke, the starboard stabilizer was gone. Somewhere the hull was breached and leaking atmo. The cutter screamed towards the bridge of the cruiser.
Five seconds.
Pulling out of its death run, the cutter buzzed the bridge of the cruiser; clipping past it, it's engines glowed, then the entire craft accelerated.
Going...going...gone in a flash of light.

Tek Tek

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom