Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship MkII Azalus-class Flak Frigate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
Affiliation: Open Market
Manufacturer: Tenloss Corporation
Model: MkII Azalus-class Flak Frigate
Modularity: Individual customization is applicable, though Tenloss offers no upgrade or customization products for this design.
Production: Mass
Material: Durasteel, Alusteel, and other materials used in ship construction.
Classification: Anti-starfighter Frigate

Length: 300m
Width: 200m
Height: 150m

Armament:
  • 8x Flak Cannon Batteries
  • 8x Point Defense Batteries
  • 15x Quad Laser Batteries

Hangar:
  • 1-2 shuttles (For crew/cargo transfer purposes)

Special Features:
  • Strong AA abilities
  • Highly maneuverable
  • Compact design
  • Ease of repair and production
  • Sensor spire

Maneuverability Rating: 9
Speed Rating: 11
Hyperdrive Class: 1

Strengths:

• Cheap and reliable
  • Smaller and more compact
  • Easier to maneuver around larger ships.
  • Targeting computers are fast and accurate.
  • Easily maintained and repaired.
  • Reinforced spine
  • Sensor spire gives the original targeting computers a longer range

Weaknesses:

• Ineffective at engaging targets larger than dropships.

• Replacement parts or generally at or below standard causing more frequent repairs.

• Outside of the ship's spine, the ship is generally more fragile than standard ships

Description:

With the growing conflicts across the stars, Tenloss realized that in order to survive as a company, it needed to keep up with the times. However, instead of tossing aside the tried and true designs of the past, they instead determined to improve upon the trusted designs the galaxy knew.

The MkII Azalus-class Flak Frigate was the first of these new redesigns. Tenloss R&D took the old Azalus design flaws and opted to try and work around them rather than put the low cost design fully at risk.

Instead of redesigning the hull integrity of the ship and being forced to scrap the original ships and the spare parts for them, the MkII was designed to resist attacks that would cripple or destroy the ship's spine to make full repairs far easier. The spine of the ship saw added structural integrity and armor plating to allow the ship to be repaired from the inside out in the event of total destruction. This allows buyers to rebuild their ships in the event an Azalus is destroyed, using the spare parts sold by Tenloss to piece the ship back together rather than purchase an entirely new ship.

The weapon loadouts were also altered. Instead of a large number of turreted guns that could see difficulty in targeting en masse, these guns were placed in a number of batteries for ease of targeting and design, as well as saving overall space. This allows the Azalus to more easily bring the necessary amount of guns to bear on appropriate targets, from individual starfighters to whole squadrons.

A fifty meter tall sensor spine was also added to the ship's dorsal area. With the guns consolidated into batteries, enough space was created to install the sensor spine array. This array allows the on board targeting computers to engage targets farther out than the orginal Azalus frigate could. Coupled with a simpler targeting algorithyms brought about by the consolidated batteries, the MkII Azalus finds anti-starfighter duties to be much easier and far more effective.

Also added were a small series of retrothrusters along the top, sides, and bottom of the ship. This allows the frigate to maneuver more easily in and among larger fleet formations so as to properly and rapidly support other ships in anti-starfighter actions.

The downsides are fairly simple. The reinforced spine is far heavier than the original Azalus-class, making the MkII variant slower than its parent. The ship is also still fairly fragile to enemy capital ship attacks, forcing this ship to adopt a support role rather than a direct attack role. Though the weapons were consolidated and such consolidation makes targeting simpler and easier, it also means that the enemy can target entire batteries of guns rather than individual turrets, making the batteries more vulnerable. The sensor spine does allow a longer range for the targeting computers, thereby extending the range of the weapons on board the ship, though the array itself is exposed and prone to enemy damage. Once knocked out, the ship relies on its standard sensors and can only engage enemy starfighters at the ranges standard for the original Azalus.

Development Thread: N/A
Intent: To improve upon and bring the original Azalus-class flak frigate into the new guide and modern age.

[member="Popo"]

I discussed the ship with several other Judges. The general consensus was while the weapons are fine, the frigate has a considerably improved maneuverability, slightly improved speed, improved targeting range and this

Popo said:
The spine of the ship saw added structural integrity and armor plating to allow the ship to be repaired from the inside out in the event of total destruction.

I know you and how you like to make things. You'd much rather know what to do to keep a sub as-is than what would have to go without a dev thread, so I'll skip that part. A simple development thread, at least ten posts, would be sufficient to cover the improvements between the Mk I and the Mk II. As long as the thread deals with the Mk II, the exacts are of course up to you; construction reports, development, inspection of one, whatever.

At least ten posts and this'll be ready for stamping.

[member="Popo"]

It's part of the whole suite of improvements, though your wording does make me inclined to throw it into the category regardless. It's pretty powerful to be able to easily repair/rebuild a frigate from total destruction.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Ayden Cater"]
Forgot I used that phrase. Meant more like unless it was literally blown apart, you could reuse the spine. So what's the alternative option?

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Ayden Cater"]
Per our conversation and the slight misunderstanding that was evident, what is a roughly acceptable speed and maneuverability I can work this ship into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom