Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mastery Discussion on Veino Garn (IC)

LOCATION: RED SHIFT CANTINA, REBELLION ACTUAL, ORBITING ALTIR

He'd passed the word to the Masters who were part of the Underground -- it was time to talk about Garn. The Jensaarai had paid his dues and put in his time, but the Underground was new enough that the Masters didn't really know each other, let alone the man in question. That made this meeting well due for a variety of reasons.

Jorus slurped his lum as he waited for the invitees to arrive at the space station's cantina. He'd invited [member="Aaralyn Gyndar"], [member="Chloe Blake"], [member="Kian Karr"], [member="Mia Monroe"], [member="Skye Mertaal"] (though she was often off doing her own thing), [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] and [member="Xander Carrick"], as well as [member="Veino Garn"] himself. The intent was for the Masters to ask Garn whatever questions they saw fit, maybe get some demonstration if necessary -- every Master had a different view of what made a Master. If other Undergrounders happened to be around, their input certainly wouldn't be discarded, but in the end it came down to the Masters' votes, once they'd asked their questions.

A Jedi Order Library Card headset lay on the table by his coaster, in case anyone needed to ask any relevant questions of the greatest holocrons in Jedi history.

An invitation from General Merril to the cantina. That was interesting. He hadn't gotten one of those in quite some time. Another mission? Something else? He'd just have to find out, by the looks of it.

So he strode in, pausing to see where the General might be, and then heading towards him and his table. Didn't look like there were any others around. Was it a private meeting or was he just early?

"Good to see you again, General," Veino glanced behind him as he took a seat, "Have another mission for us?"

[member="Veino Garn"]

"Hey there, Garn." Jorus half-rose to extend his hand for a shake. "Have a seat."

He settled back into his bench, gesturing at the bench on the other side of the corner table. "I know it works differently with the Jensaarai, but I figured it was time I called all the Underground's Force Masters together and had a talk with you, see where you're at." He shrugged eloquently. "Depending what they ask and what you say and show, you could be walking away from here as Master Garn. Have some lum."

Kian hadn't done much with the Underground since joining the group. His duties with the Jedi Shadows and as a Council member had kept him hard pressed to find any downtime. But he saw the importance of the group and knew that he should make the time soon.

Still, when the call went out for him to meet with several of he Masters of the group, Kian's curiosity got the better of him and he made the time to get away. Kian smiled beneath his mask as he entered the cantina. He hadn't been in this place before, but it had all the makings of a typical watering hole. He wondered if they had any Dorin Brandy, but then pushed the notion aside. Kian didn't handle his liqueur well and this meeting was likely an important one.

"Greetings." Kian said as he approached the group. [member="Jorus Merrill"] and [member="Veino Garn"] had arrived already. Kian hadn't had the opportunity to interact much with Merrill over the years, but Garn and he had seen combat together on several occasions and Kian remembered a rather informative lesson on stealth techniques when he was a padawan.

[member="Jorus Merrill"] [member="Kian Karr"] [member="Veino Garn"]

One wouldn't really peg Chloe as a Master of the Force just by looking at her. There was this distinct young whimsical note about her wrapped up in a half greased mech suit and spacer coat.

The corner of her mouth would perk up after she strode into the cantina, catching sight of Jorus.

With a slow casual walk, the Corellian would make her way over, pulling a small hairband to grab the long length of her blonde hair up in her hair along the way. The fingercomb would settle into a high ponytail just about the time she came to a stop besides Jorus and his other companions.

"Ol'val." came her warm greeting, her pale blue eyes sweeping from Jorus to the rest.

There was always the young kid in the group.

That happened to be me. Part of me was glad to be younger than most, however, that also meant that I was the less experienced as a Master of the Force. Nonetheless, I came in. Seeing General Merrill, As well as two others and the man in question himself.

I stopped and waited. Staying silent as I was clearly not the one in charge, I took my seat in silence. Waiting for everyone to come.

[member="Chloe Blake"], [member="Kian Karr"], [member="Jorus Merrill"], [member="Veino Garn"],

Veino leaned forward to shake the general's hand and then took a seat on the mentioned bench, leaning back to just enjoy sitting down, and listen to the speech.

Meeting with the underground's Force masters? Discuss where he's at? Veino tilted his head slightly to try and piece everything together as he listened. Wait, did he hear that last part right? He could walk away as Master Garn? How did that even work? The Jensaarai didn't have masters. It was Apprentice, Defender, and Saarai-Kar. That was pretty unusual for most orders though. He knew that much. So this would be probably more along the lines of their hierarchy.

He sat there, blinking rapidly, and absentmindedly took a glass of lum and a mechanical swallow, wincing at the sweet but oddly soapy taste. Emotions of others in the cantina immediately became more pronounced and he slid the glass a few inches away from himself.

The woman over there had just lost...someone close to a pirate raid, and he could feel that aching emptiness as strongly as she could, a great void in his chest where the heart had been ripped away. The man in the corner and just won the lottery and the giddy elation swept through him like a tidal wave. Someone else survived a faulty life support unit and that exhausted relief slid through Veino's own body.

He took a deep breath and centered himself in the Force, wrapping it around and through him, using it to make the bricks around his mind thicker. The emotions dropped to a background noise instead of a tempest trying to pull him away from himself.

"Greetings."

He looked up and craned his neck around to see if that was who he thought it was. It was indeed Kian. Veino hadn't realized Kian was involved in the Underground as well, though that could have been intentional on either Kian's part or the Underground's part.

Then a woman he didn't know came in and a man he was fairly sure he knew from way back with the Fel Imperium. That was a long time ago though, and it was possible they just looked alike. He wasn't entirely sure.

[member="Kian Karr"] [member="Jorus Merrill"] [member="Chloe Blake"] [member="Xander Carrick"]

[member="Jorus Merrill"], [member="Chloe Blake"], [member="Xander Carrick"], [member="Kian Karr"], [member="Veino Garn"]

Cross-cultural Master ceremonies could be very interesting, fruitful and perhaps even further understanding between varying traditions. Which was useful if given how many religious wars were already being waged. Or they could be terribly awkward. What even constituted a 'Master'? Doubtless there were divergences on this matter.

In any case, without further ado, Siobhan Kerrigan, woman of many titles and recipient of countless repetitive maimings to the point of it becoming a running joke amongst Firemane employees and mercenaries, saunted into the cantina. Inevitably she was wearing a long leather duster. This writer is taking the liberty of assuming that this bar thread takes place before the galactic Apocalypse. This is significant because it meant that Siobhan would neither be one-eyed nor have been forced to slice of one of her arms to escape from a pillar that had crashed on it.

Anyhow she soon found the table that seemed to be the centre of commotion here, giving Jorus a nod. Him she obviously knew from the old days, Chloe perhaps a bit from her time at the Pyre, rest were faces she had not met personally, though far as she knew Garn with the Jensaarai. Jensaarai, Jedi Masters, Wardens of the Sky, Neutral Master and one Dark Jedi Master without membership in any real force-user group. Quite an eclectic mixture! Truly a win for the cause of multiculturalism and ecumenism. "Hi everyone."

[member="Aaralyn Gyndar"] [member="Chloe Blake"] [member="Kian Karr"] [member="Mia Monroe"] [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] [member="Xander Carrick"] [member="Veino Garn"]

"All right, looks like enough of us are here that we can get started. You're all here because you're considered Masters of the Force, and Captain Garn here may be ready to take that step. Ask him whatever you want, and if you need demonstrations of one kind or another, there's an empty docking bay nearby. We've all got different kinds of benchmarks for what makes a Master, so ask what you will."

Aaralyn was late and she knew it. Her mind was elsewhere with things lately and she admitted to herself that well...she needed to get her head out of the sand.

She needed a drink and luck have it...[member="Jorus Merrill"] brought them to a Cantina. She'd acquire some Corellian ale as she made her way to the table where everyone has assembled. "I apologize for being late...no real excuse on my behalf." She'd offer [member="Kian Karr"] a nod as well as [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] to whom she remembered from Drunkenwell. Then there was [member="Chloe Blake"], the woman who violated her personal space - probably felt within her right at the request of Ember but even Ember got told that he was wrong for going through her stuff...Perhaps if she had asked when things calmed down - a story for another lifetime.

She'd offer her a smile as she brought the glass up to her lips to take a sip before her gaze fell to [member="Xander Carrick"], someone she didn't know and then finally [member="Veino Garn"].

The man of the hour it would seem and someone brought before this diverse group to determine if he was able to be called a Master. She choked on the ale as she listened to Jorus - how does one gauge another in terms of Mastery?

Truly.

She had an idea of what to ask but would reserve her comments for when she was called upon or when others were finished.

Ooc - On phone. Excuse the mess. Thanks.

I stayed in silence for the most part as others were still coming in. Every one of them I could feel in the force. Strong and resilient. Turning to the man in question as Jorus said that we could question him about becoming a master, I waited for someone else before I would speak. However a new woman came in. Jedi. and had some ale with her.

Her eyes fell on me. Wondering who I was. Typical. I hadn't been in the spotlight for a while, and considering I never saw her with the Silver Jedi, I had a feeling that she may have been with the Republic. I nodded to her politely as she looked at me over the rim of her glass.

It was there for a second, and then once more, my attention was back on the man in question. I already had something I wanted to ask. Seeing that I might as well, I spoke up.

"Veino Garn, What do you believe makes someone to be considered a Master of the Force?"

Simple question, but a complex answer. However, I knew that he could answer it. I knew he would do well. There was hardly a thing I could forget. My time with the Imperial Knights had been short, but I remembered it well. This young man here was in one or two of my classes in which I was taught about the Art of Movement and even some Soresu. I had become a Jedi Master, and now considered a Grey Jedi, I wanted to see where this man would go.

He had the potential, and I wanted to see it bloom.

[member="Aaralyn Gyndar"], [member="Jorus Merrill"], [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"], [member="Veino Garn"], [member="Chloe Blake"], [member="Kian Karr"],

Veino studed the glass in front of him as others came in. Aralyn he'd met before with the Jedi. The other he didn't know, but was fairly sure he had heard of. He thought that was Siobhan Kerrigan. Then Xander asked the question. What made one a master of the Force? Both a philosophical and practical question that since Jensaarai don't have a Master rank, turned out to be even more complicated than Xander might have thought.

"As Jensaarai don't have a Master rank, I'll use the Jedi as an example instead," He began slowly, trying to sift through his thoughts. "Historically, a Master rank was granted to those who taught a padawan to knighthood. That would indicate a deep understanding of the Force, a high maturity level, and the common sense to help an adolescent through what even for non-Jedi is a difficult time. As lately, promotions to master have been for other reasons, there's also a high level of responsibility and willingness to step up to finish what needs finished. Teach a few classes, check up on some ongoing projects and make sure they're finished. I'd also say lots of experience is also a huge factor."

Chloe would take a seat on the bar besides Jorus, there were several different faces here. Some familiar; some not.

But everyone had their story. Their tale to tell.

The Warden would order a Juma juice; she had to pilot the Aurora after and head off with [member="Jannik Morlandt"] to the next dig soon. This was just a pit stop.

As Veino would answer, she would listen. There were questions she had, but for now it was merely a game of observation.

[member="Chloe Blake"], [member="Veino Garn"], [member="Jorus Merrill"], [member="Aaralyn Gyndar"], [member="Kian Karr"], [member="Xander Carrick"]

Siobhan sipped her drink, and tried to restrain her craving for a good smoke. Cigarettes were bad, you see. It would be even worse if Galina caught her smoking and suddenly thought it was cool. So, yes, she had conquer this urge, for her daughter. Well, lung cancer would be bad as well, but her lungs were artificial.

Anyhow, Mastering discussions. Siobhan was not the sort to ponder esoteric questions or participate in philosopical discussions. It was difficult enough to come up with a standard of what constituted 'Mastery' when you moved away from the Jedi-Sith dichotomy, something she had done ages ago. Wait, dichotomy, apparently she was using big words now. She blamed her wife and Anya!

"What powers would you say you're proficient in, in which are you weak and which aspects of the Force do you intend to learn?" Straightforward and practical. It has been said that every force-user faced the choice between power and insight, between throwing stones and reading ripples. Siobhan was quite comfortable with chucking big rocks. Her approach to the Force was defined by the fact that she viewed it as a can opener, in other words as a tool.

Kian up until this point had waited quietly and he would continue to do so as the others asked their questions. When the time came he would enter in with his own thoughts, but he didn't wish to interrupt with the questioning portion of the meeting.

To Kian the answer was simple. Veino Garn was more then ready to become a Master. Kian had served with him on Alderaan, had trained with him on Ossus, and had seen his work and those that he had trained. They had also apprehended a Republic criminal together once. Seeing the skill set the man had and the way in which he used it, Kian had no doubt as to his readiness.

So for now, Kian sat quietly and waited.
[member="Chloe Blake"]​
[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]​
[member="Veino Garn"]​
[member="Xander Carrick"]​
[member="Aaralyn Gyndar"]​
[member="Jorus Merrill"]​

[member="Jorus Merrill"] [member="Kian Karr"] [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] [member="Chloe Blake"] [member="Xander Carrick"] [member="Aaralyn Gyndar"]

That was an excellent question and Veino took a few moments to think about what he knew and didn't know. The list of not knowing was significantly longer than the knowing, of course, but it was still a little akward. He decided to start with weaknesses first.

"I know no telepathy, illusions, mind tricks, or more powerful, specialized abilities. I'm sketchy on the healing side and more complicated meditations. I'm mediocre in healing abilities, which is my first priority to continue improving."

He paused again to take another drink, water this time.

"My greatest skills are in empathy, hiding my Force presence,and then telekinesis, specifically ballistakinesis.Then in lightsabers, a combination of form three and five with art of movement." He tapped his fingers on the table thinking, "Once I improve my healing, I plan to work on more mental aspects of the Force. Illusions, mind tricks, telepathy, and meditation."

He gave a shrug.

"Right now, nearly all my skills are physical, as I needed them to stay alive and keep others alive as much as possible."

He hadn't been very successful, if he was honest. He had had no impact on Togoria. The Fel Imperium turned into a mass murdering government before collapsing. His influence had done nothing to stem the tide of battle at any invasions he had been present at.

Aaralyn finished her Corellian Ale before she gently set down the glass and spun it lightly. The sound the glass made as it effortlessly glided along the smooth surface of the table would draw the attention to it before her hand came down just hard enough to make wet, hard, slapping noise that would normally jolt those who weren't expecting it. She'd nod softly, violet gaze looking at [member="Veino Garn"] as she wrapped her fingers around the glass and held it up to her gaze.

She would examine it as she spoke, looking for imperfections.

"Beyond the knowledge of powers - what do you believe you can pass onto the next generation of Force wielders? Those who you teach directly or even indirectly?" She said, continuing to examine the glass.

[member="Kian Karr"] | [member="Chloe Blake"] | [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] | [member="Jorus Merrill"] | [member="Xander Carrick"]

The discussion appeared to be winding down; he'd suspected that some already had opinions as to Garn's readiness, pro or contra, and others seemed content to listen.

"Are we ready to vote? My mind's made up; I'm voting yes."

[member="Aaralyn Gyndar"] [member="Chloe Blake"] [member="Kian Karr"] [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] [member="Xander Carrick"] [member="Veino Garn"] [member="Mia Monroe"]

Looking over the many that were here, and listening to the questions that came up, I already had in mind my answer to what was here. Jorus asked what we thought our answer to his Master nomination would be.

I nodded my head.

"My answer is yes."

"I've had no questions for Jedi Garn, because I've seen what he can do." Kian said turning toward Jorus when he spoke up. "I served with him on Alderaan, and when I was still a young Knight I trained with him." Kian said recalling the lesson they had had on force stealth techniques.

"I believe he has more then earned it." Kian said looking over at the man of the hour. "I vote yes."

[member="Jorus Merrill"]​
[member="Aaralyn Gyndar"]​
[member="Chloe Blake"]​
[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]​
[member="Xander Carrick"]​
[member="Veino Garn"]​
[member="Mia Monroe"]​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom