OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To create a probe droid to protect Mandalorian warriors in battle
- Image Source: Link
- Canon Link: N/A
- Primary Source: Probe Droid
- Manufacturer: MandalArms (Design) Mirdimorut (Production)
- Affiliation: Mandalorian Empire Closed-Market
- Model: Battle Buddy
- Production: Limited
- Modularity: N/A
- Material: Durasteel, droid components, Ysalamiri
- Classification: Fifth Degree
- Weight: 15kg
- Height: .4m
- Movement: Repulsorlift (max speed 20km/h)
- Armaments: None
- Misc. Equipment: Location sensor (up to 5m range)
- The probe can be assigned a target to follow.
- The probe is programmed to follow its assigned target
- Ysalamiri contained within project a three meter sphere of Force nullification
- Multiple probes within the same area of effect will cause the sphere to expand
- Susceptible to EMP
- Limited protection against external attack
- Limited movement capacity or ability to avoid danger
- Will ground itself and shut down if assigned target moves outside its 5m sensor radius
- Ysalamiri lifespan from loading and activation of probe to stress death is one hour maximum
As MandalArms branched out from small arms into limited shields and armour production, the Ysalamir nutrient frame was looked at as a design to be improved upon. Force blocking or nullification techniques were varied, from void stone backpacks and harnesses to armoured backpacks. MandalArms approach was to produce a probe droid capable of following a soldier, and carrying a pair of live Ysalamiri and their Force bubble along with the Mando'ad.
A simple durasteel shell contains a very basic repulsorlift and sensor system. The droid is capable of following an assigned target, and very little else. It is vulnerable to EMP, and can be destroyed by small arms fire. It is a very basic shell, designed to be easy, cheap, and quick to produce, easily loaded with live Ysalamiri.
The effect is quite deleterious on the lizards, however, who do not appreciate being cooped up in a dark metal box and thrown around. During testing, the longest specimens lasted approximately one hour before expiring, thus limiting the usefulness of large numbers of the droids, such is the draining effect on Ysalamiri populations anywhere but Myrkr.