Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jedi Ranger Energy Bow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image Source:
nightsister_ranger_by_aphrodite_ns-d358ji6.jpg

Intent: A special weapon for the new Jedi Ranger Corps.
Development Thread: (800-1000 word creation thread)(800-1000 word training thread to use)
Manufacturer: Luminous infinity customizations
Model: S-1 Energy Bow
Affiliation: Jedi Sentinel- Jedi Ranger Corps
Modularity: Color crystal can be changed, as well as metal color, though it is usually kept silver, or black. extra arrow holes can be put in place, but separate buttons must be put on the bow to activate arrows in these slots.
Production: Semi-Unique (This is being made specifically for use by the Jedi Rangers)
Classification: Energy Weapon/Bow
Size: To be held
Length: about 1 meter (length can be adjusted for ease of use)
Weight: 1.36 kg
Ammunition Type: Rechargeable plasma power cell
Ammunition Capacity: 15-20 shots
Effective Range: I suppose about as far as a laser rifle. It can make most shots within effective aiming range.
Special Features: this weapon uses the same technology as a lightsaber, but creates individual plasma beams, thaat can be fired, this gives it has a high piercing capability, but the energy required allows for only 15-20 shots per reloadable cartridge. Once activated the bow is very near silent when the arrow is released.
Description:
This is similar in design to a normal bow, with the exception of it not having a string, instead a string of pure plasma forms when activated. a handle of sorts links to the string so the user can pull back, without being hurt. With out this handle a force user could conceivably use force shield to pull it back, but that would require near master level.

There is a small hole in the body of the bow, right above where the hand would be. This is where energy arrows are formed. when the string is pulled back it triggers a mechanism forming an arrow, which attaches itself to the string. When released, small nodes inside the hole produce an electromagnetic shield around the arrow so to keep it in one beam of plasma. This beam of energy is fired, and travels in a straight line, as light does.

The string being made of plasma as well can be used, as a bludgeon to burn, or cut an opponent, when one is running low on arrows and the bow can be used as a staff like weapon. This design was inspired by the nightsisters energy bows used by their huntresses.

[member="Ardeo Sophos"] - What you are looking for here in production is 'Limited'.

Also, before I get to anything else... How, if this functions like a lightsaber, does the user
  • Grip the string
  • Pull the string
  • Where does the projectile come from
  • How does it maintain coherency as a projectile once it leaves the focal point of the saber and the electromagnetic sheath that keeps the lightsaber energy coherent and not just a random wild cloud of plasma
Please answer these.

[member="Ardeo Sophos"] - How do those features work? It's nice that you say 2+ 2 = 4, so to speak, but how? You are substantially modifying a canonical item or two in combination here, and to avoid abusive precedent, this must be clarified and made ultra clear, which as it stands it is not. And how does the user not loose a finger to touching a beam of plasma unshielded? The proposed method you put forth is essentially insufficient as it would, in my mind, require a master level of force alter to sustain such shielding long enough to knock, draw, aim and loose an arrow.

The nightsister bow is an energy beam, and is not defined or represented as cutting or functioning like a lightsaber so far as I can tell. Plus, it does not fire a bolt of plasma that maintains shape and definition. The field formed around the projectile works, BUT there is nothing to maintain, shape, or power the field at all whilst in flight, so we're back at square one for the projectile.

Given that you are using that bow as a reference, I must ask that you remove the references to a lightsaber due to that being insufficient, or remove the reference to the energy bow. Or we can undergo a long and arduous process of trying to determine how a lightsaber (designed to cut through anything) selectively does not cut through one person's fingers through some acceptable means, but does everything else. Don't get me wrong, there are options for that path, but they are not easy, they may or may not work, and all of them will require substantial and extensive dev thread work. And i do mean quite substantial.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nightsister_energy_bowThe force shielding was something I came up with. It would be a high level thing yes. The other way is the handle attached to the energy string. I'm entirely sure how the original bows worked, as it was never delved into. I just know they would pull on the strings and a beam arrow would form. I am totally willing to compromise, and work though. Of course I don't want to impose on you or make you take alot of time or anything, but any ideas for how I could make it work would be awesome, as I really want this to be a signature weapon for this new jedi class. [member="Ijaat Akun"]

[member="Ardeo Sophos"] - Bottom line: This will not be allowed to be as strong as a lightsaber. At all. You're looking at half that strength, tops. And still some meaty dev work there as you're still firing sniper like bolts at the strength of a heavy plasma balster. If this is acceptable, we can proceed, but it will not under any circumstances retain the properties of a lightsaber as nothing in cannon supports this, nor does cannon support the base concept of a lightsaber-bow.

[member="Ijaat Akun"] sorry. I am talking with some people now on how the bow should work :). I also had a fencing competition this weekend so I haven't had a ton of time.

[member="Ardeo Sophos"] - Then for the sake of keeping things organized, i'm archiving this. When you work out how you wish it to work (that is NOT equivalent to a lightsaber, as I stated before) then PM an RPJ or admin to have it removed. Thank you.

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Ardeo Sophos said:
I would do the threads if approved. [member="Silara Kuhn"]
That is not how this works. You do the development threads prior to approval, not after. Edits requested by factory judges, requests for development threads, all of that should be followed through.

Ardeo Sophos said:
this weapon uses the same technology as a lightsaber, but creates individual plasma beams, thaat can be fired, this gives it has a high piercing capability
This is literally impossible with how you've described how this works. A lightsaber has the hilt, where your hand rests, where there is a diatium power cell that sends the power through the primary crystal, the focusing crystals, a cyclical field energizer (where the plasma is actually formed) and out through the various rings that keep the plasma in the shape of a rod, as well as one which places diatium circuits around it for it to retain its shape. Below is a diagram of how a lightsaber is put together. A plasma bowstring and a focusing crystal is not going to cut it to create a lightsaber rod.
640px-Lightsaber-cutaway.jpg
The use of plasma weaponry is completely fine, wookie bowcasters and ion blasters make use of plasma, but plasma is a state of matter, it is not an all-encompassing form of instant-cutting power. In comparison, an ion blaster (which uses ionized plasma) does not have the penetrating power that a lightsaber does - not at all, or even close to. The same can be said of a wookie bowcaster.

In short, you're firing a lightsaber blade at people that can't be effectively blocked, stopped, or deflected whose weaknesses are a semi-unique production size. This will end up being used on someone and be reported once that person understands just what's been fired at them which will more than likely lead to the submission being denied retroactively. This will denied and if you wish to have this second chanced you may request such in the second chance thread in the factory discussion. My advice to you would be to use something more practical and less overpowered, something that does not have the strengths of a lightsaber without any of its weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom