Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It Belongs In A Museum

ESSION

[member="Connor Harrison"]

Ession was an industrial world. Most of the world was covered by urban cityscape and industrial centers, and what wasn't was instead dominated by lifeless wasteland. In times long gone, the planet had likely been a little more hospitable. Hospitable enough that a gaggle of cultists decided to enshrine their deceased master within a deep, dark tomb on the planet. The tomb was only recently rediscovered by a scouting party looking for a better location for a military base. Thankfully even if the tomb wasn't there, the land wasn't suitable for the project. It was safe from being bulldozed over, for all intents and purposes.

Having better things to worry about, the people running Ession ignored the discovery and continued searching for an adequate spot for the proposed military base. But word soon trickled out through the rest of the galaxy. This eventually attracted the attention of a Darth Janus, a man who had every intention of excavating the ruin and running off with whatever powerful artifact of the Dark Side was rumored to be present there. The Umbaran, accompanied by a modestly sized mercenary expedition, set about the slow and arduous process of busting into the tomb and circumventing the traps located within. And he did it all in his uniform from the olden days, because he certainly wasn't about to identify himself properly. It could jeopardize his other, more meaningful jobs.

It was a slow-going process, mercenaries routinely perishing in combat from undead or Sithspawn found within the tomb. The traps were no help, and after a minor accident that sealed off part of the tomb and made it inaccessible, explosives were no longer being used to breach locked doors. Cutting tools were used instead, making the process even more arduous. But Janus was not daunted. Even now he stood at the very top of the pyramidal structure, just before the entrance, waiting for the team he had sent in earlier to return and give their report. Circling the pyramid were the ramshackle prefabricated buildings of the mercenary company, where the rest of them waited.

He glanced at his chronometer. They was taking far too long.

• Beat up Janus and his mercenaries.
  • Either destroy the artifact or render it irretrievable.

It was lucky for Connor that he was hovering in the upper atmosphere of Rhen Var in his E-wing after his little expedition. Taking time to look down on the planet that had changed his life so much, and now was the reason has was a step closer to defeating his own demons, the galaxy was a plateau before him and now he had only to wait.

If he wasn’t hovering and waiting for contact to be made with Sith Lord Matsu Xiangu, he wouldn’t have had the wider channels open on his com-receiver to intercept a flurry of broken transmissions.

Danger surrounding what…Force warrior…riches….open transport…out before trouble….powerful…

Leaning in, Connor listened to the fragmented words picked up over the static call, seemingly transmitted from a nearby sector, but picked up how? Was it a trap? Was it a test – a calling to all unmarked ships in the area? Goodness knows where the E-wing had been before Connor had come into ownership of it, but now his interest was flared.

If there was trouble or danger on Ession, then surely this was something Connor had to investigate as a Silver Jedi, wasn’t it? He wanted to test himself against the dark, and this was another opportunity. With no word back from Matsu Xiangu or her “shadow” corporation as yet, Connor gunned the engines and banked right up and away from Rhen Var to the source of the transmission; Ession, in the Corporate Sector.

Truly, he was alone in the Outer Rim. With no-one knowing where he was, he was venturing into nothing but the unknown, but his fierce determination to be the source of good drove him stronger and faster towards Ession; a murky, heavily industrial planet.

Coming in low through the atmosphere to follow the broken transmission picked up on a suspiciously open channel, with a multitude of voices, some human and some alien, Connor scanned the busy surface below. Industrial sectors soon started to turn into more open landscape and, what looked like large ruins.

The Silver Jedi suddenly started to feel he had picked up on a dangerous excavation over the planet and with some “Force warrior” mentioned, it didn’t sound pleasant.

[member="Darth Janus"]

Janus had taken to pacing about the entrance. This was soon interrupted by the distinct sound of a starfighter shooting over his location. He stopped where he was, turning a suspicious glare skywards towards a lingering starfighter. He didn't recognize what kind it was. He wasn't very well versed with space vehicles, really. Typically, Janus only categorized them on whether or not they were a TIE fighter. Whatever the blighted vehicle was, Janus didn't like it hanging around his excavation site. There were no anti-aircraft weapons laying around, so the best he could do was hope whatever it was left him alone.

"Can someone please give me an update?" Janus requested into his commlink, speaking to the team he had sent down there earlier. "Hello?"

He was met only with silence. Not a good sign.

Connor circled the area a few times, noticing pockets of activity by, what looked like, some monuments – or was it a ruin, a temple? He couldn’t be sure. Licking his bottom lip as his thoughts raced, the Silver Jedi pushed down on the yoke to take the ship down to the opposite end of the site.

Kicking up swirls of grit and dust as it landed down gently, engines cooling when he killed them with a flick of a switch, Connor peered out of the cockpit. There was activity, sure, but it didn’t mean this was anything untoward. He was simply following his head, and signals of transmissions. Sure, he was being investigative – nosey – and in an area of out his jurisdiction, but right now he wasn’t acting for any Order. This was just Connor Harrison, and something felt off.

Pulling back the hatch, he vaulted out onto the ground with a soft crunch and opened the storage compartment under his seat to take his lightsaber hilt and greatcoat, still showing signs of wear and tears from Rhen Var. The amulet resided in his bag, safe and sound, and there it would stay.

Closing the hatch, Connor affixed the hilt to his side and threw on the black greatcoat, once more dressing him in the charcoal grey combat suit and attire that enforced his shadowy persona a little too well.

Looking around to get his bearings, he tapped his fingers on his arms gently as he heard distant sounds of machinery and general diegetic noise that wasn’t unusual for a busy planet such as this. Taking casual, steady steps forward, he took in his surroundings as he surveyed the sights before him – great buildings in the distance, broken monuments and excavation digs closer to where he landed. Structures and decorative tombs were coming into view, and a few figures could be seen in the distance, one standing higher than the others on an impressive looking pyramid.

Still, this was nothing unusual, but warranted a little investigation to be sure.

Connor kept the outskirts of the site as he walked around casually, taking in everything he could. The presence of a Force user was evident, and it pricked his senses to be wary. Thankfully, with a clear mind and focused drive for good, Connor was ready for anything.

”Excuse me, hello?” He called out, offering an innocent request to be answered by one of the few figures ahead who may or may not hear him.

[member="Darth Janus"]

Most of the other mercenaries that staffed the camp were either milling about elsewhere or relaxing in their barracks. Up until now, no one had attempted to enter or infiltrate the camp, so the vast majority of them had stopped taking their job seriously. The trio of men on patrol, two Nikto and a Weequay, were still taking this job semi-seriously. And they found that their doing so had finally paid off, since they located their first interloper since Janus had them set up shop.

Naturally, the response was lazy. Only one of them bothered to half-level their gun at Connor, the other Nikto was content to just glare pointedly. The Weequay spoke, harsh and demanding.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" He practically hissed.
"It's probably a tourist." The Nikto with the half-leveled gun offered.
"Shut up."

It seemed his presence had caught the attention of a trio of menacing, gun toting guards – all ugly, brandishing their weapons and an air of lazy bravado. Connor turned to meet them, noting their number, stance and weaponry.

If he wanted to be a beacon of light against the dark, now was the time to ignite the spark.

”Forgive me gentleman, I was out walking my pet womp-rat, and rather embarrassingly seemed to have lost my way.”

Strike fast; strike hard – a precise goal to stop tyranny and crime; nothing more, nothing less.

Ending the surreal sentence, Connor drew a surge of Force energy from his palm to wrap around the trio and, with a clenching of his fist, pulled them awkwardly forward in a stumbling blur of steps.

One of the Nikto raised his blaster blindly, so Connor remained focused but methodical, letting the Force guide his movement and muscle as he did in the Gardens of the Silver Jedi Temple.

A rabbit punch to the first Nikto’s neck with his right hand sent him crumpling to the floor, swift followed by his right elbow into the face the second, sending him down backwards with a crunch. Being a Silver Jedi, and a rogue at that, meant this Jedi didn’t always fight dirty. He had learnt that the enemy would fight equally as dirty, so to survive meant to use their own techniques.

Too close for the Weequay to engage in a firefight, the thug struck out with the butt of his rifle which caught Connor in the chest, thudding pain through him but not enough to have him lose focus – after his recent painful experience, this was nothing.

Grabbing the rifle, Connor jabbed it back into the stomach of the Weequay and followed with a choke hold around his throat, pulling him down using his weight against him. Amplifying the Force to the thugs’ brain, Connor rendered him in a deep sleep – a mild, safe coma that would keep him out of action for hours.

On his knees, the Jedi eyed the fallen thugs and looked up to the pyramid and other bunkers. There was something highly criminal going on indeed. Pushing himself up, he stayed focused and ran forward towards the structure in the distance with a clear goal in mind; preserve the ruins from these mercenaries.

[member="Darth Janus"]

Something tickled Janus' danger sense at that moment, albeit he wasn't sure what. He continually tried to ring the mercenaries in the pyramid, but there was still no response. Janus was willing to wager they were just so deep in the pyramid that they lost a signal. That didn't do anything to alleviate the nagging sense of something gnawing at the back of his mind. The Umbaran gave a heavy sigh and went to return to his aimless pacing, but as he turned he could see a lone figure sprinting through the camp, darting for the pyramid.

Who the hell was that?

Truth be told, Janus couldn't see who it was very clearly, but that didn't make him less suspicious. No one in this blasted camp had moved with that kind of purpose for weeks. Janus fiddled with his commlink again, trying to alert the patrol. There was no response. This was getting mind-numbingly typical. By the time he had tried (and failed) to get anyone else to answer their commlink, Connor was already half-way up the steps and still fast approaching. Great. The hired help wasn't going to help and now someone who smelled distinctly like a loathsome lightsider was practically on top of him. With an annoyed sigh, Janus' lightsaber was pulled into his hand. The crimson blade ignited shortly thereafter, accompanied by its traditional snap-hiss, leveled defensively in the opening stance for Soresu.

"I'm going to have to ask you very nicely that you go away and mind your own business."

Leaping up in a fluid motion to hit the stone of the pyramid base, Connor saw figures around but ignored them to simply focus on the figure choosing to elevate himself above them; the ringleader.

While not an aggressive run, he moved with purpose to reach the figure, but slowed himself down as his Foce signature reeked of conflicted darkness, terror and anger. Connor caught his breath and stood down below the intimidating sight of a man in a fearsome mask, dressed in dark robes that seemed to mirror what Connor would have chosen years ago to reflect his inner turmoil.

Now, he was dark like a shadow, but the snap-hiss of the crimson blade signified this man was dark like a Sith.

Connor swallowed softly and fought the anxiety inside him; this wasn’t what he actually had expected, but now it seemed he had left the Silver Jedi to test himself – now he was in the thick of it was death the only prize for coming second.

”I don’t know who you are, but I’m afraid I can’t do that. You know that.”

Sighing, he slowly drew his hand to the silver hilt on his hip and unhooked it, holding it outwards behind his back, yet to activate the blue blade. The Soresu stance was something he recognised from his early training as a Shadow - he just hadn't used it in months.

I didn’t want this…I can’t do this now…yes you can…be the sword…

”I don’t want trouble – “ he looked up at the emotionless mask, ” – so I ask you, as a representative of the Silver Jedi Order, leave this place. It is not your right to take what isn’t yours.”

Kicking himself, he regretted sounding like a Jedi book-worm, rather than a warrior. Lesson learnt.

He activated the blue blade to show his intent with a welcoming hum.

”I’d hate to waste your time, whatever you’re using it to look for.”

[member="Darth Janus"]

"Silver Jedi? And here I'd almost been concerned." Janus, rather predictably, was unmoved by Connor's polite request. "Of all the attention I could attract, of course it would be one of you second-stringer dropouts."

"I am here legally. You've no authority to tell me to do anything. This is a Sith tomb. Whatever lies therein is mine by right, and I'm certainly not about to allow myself to be displaced by some no-name whelp who couldn't muster the discipline to be an actual Jedi."

By "legally," Janus of course meant by "the apathy of the planetary government and perhaps because I paid off local officials." Of all the Jedi, he found Silver ones particularly distasteful. Largely because they were encroaching on Tionese space, stinking up the general area with their lack of established government system. There was also the fact he regarded them as little more than Jedi that lacked even less spine than usual. These insults tended to arise when they were doing things he didn't like. Such as, but not limited to, interfering with his diabolical schemes. That was a sure-fire way to get under his pasty skin.

Janus maintained his stance, silently fretting over Connor's "behind the back" way of holding his lightsaber. He had heard some people did that sort of thing, but he'd never dealt with it first hand. Stupid exotic lightsaber styles.

"Now, I urge you to depart. Otherwise I shall taunt you a second time."

A gentle, barely inspired usage of Force Persuasion would brush up against Connor's mind. Janus did not expect it to actually work. It was more of a further insult than anything- a way of saying that he thought so lowly of the Silver Jedi that he believed he could turn this one away with a simple mind trick.

Looking through the mask, picturing the coward behind it as he spoke, Connor felt the irritation prickling under his skin; teasing his pride and angering him.

While he was not perfect, he was far from a drop-out, and the Silver Jedi were one of the greatest under-estimated Jedi serving the side of light; small numbers and few resources certainly didn’t help them, but they were growing, and Connor was determined to see it grow and be a pillar against the decay eating away at hope for the many.

Keeping still, Connor tensed as he felt the Sith touch on his mind with the Force, probing him to try and get him to simply turn away. Maybe once, but no more.

Connor shook his head and stepped forward with one boot.

”Sith are a disease, eating away at the galaxy with a mind-set like yours – expecting to take what you like simply because you hold allegiance to some dark art.”

His voice pushed forward with a steely determination, as that was all he could do to maintain his composure and shake the urge to give in to a nasty, violent outburst. He would defend himself, however, that much was sure.

”You stand against everything I strive to protect, and maybe you need to remember my name and the Order I serve for it will serve you well next time you try to bully your way through others.”

The Force was flowing inside him, infusing his muscles and desperately trying to be unleashed.

”My name is Connor Harrison – and you’re not leaving this tomb with anything. Maybe your life, but that’s it.”

His right hand flexed on the hilt, ready.

[member="Darth Janus"]

"My name is Connor Harrrrrison." Janus took the opportunity to mock Connor, taking a high-pitched, grainy voice he felt befitting of a Silver Jedi. "And you're not leaving this tomb with annnything."

"That's what you sound like. Stop, please. You're embarrassing us both."

Janus could feel the agitation welling up inside the man- the Force gathering within him as he prepared to do something. It was a habit of his when dueling Jedi to get them as annoyed as possible. Infuriated if he could manage it. Janus was the type to not only draw on his own personal anger, but that of the people around him. It was a pleasant experience. Certainly not for the faint of heart, but pleasant nonetheless. Janus began his own posturing, preparing to draw upon the Dark Side so that he could respond in kind to whatever attack Harrison launched. It was important to Janus, for symbolic reasons, that Connor attacked first.

"Sith are a disease? Really?" Janus balked, theatrical as usual. "Let's not resort to name-calling. We're both adults here, you insipid wastrel."

Connor gave a small smile - it was as if the Sith was working the way he thought a Sith would. To lure the darkness out of you; to give into that irrational violence and aggression that blurred the mind into some swirling black whirlpool of emotion.

He had done that before, and it had caused him enough pain and isolation from those he cared about.

"My apologies for embarrassing you, Sith."

The blade extinguished behind him, but his grip remained as the hilt lowered slightly.

"You're all talk. Come on. You hide behind your words, you hide behind a mask. Nothing but a coward. You say I'm embarrassing us? Please, you're an embarrassment enough for the both of us and the failed cult you try to serve."

The fingers on his left and clenched, and his eyes never left the empty void where he pictured the Siths eyes burning with frustration.

[member="Darth Janus"]

Janus exhaled sharply from his nostrils. A bemused sound from a bemused Dark Sider who maintained his stance despite the Silver Jedi deactivating his own saber. He slid into a more comfortable standing position, still holding his lightsaber at the ready. Janus wasn't about to strike, though. No, that was his job to do the goading. Nothing short of Harrison discarding his lightsaber completely would prompt the Umbaran to action. Sticks and stones would break his bones, but words would never hurt him. Probably. It wouldn't do well to rule out that scenario just yet.

"You're one to talk about failed cults, degenerate. How long is it you imagine the Silver Jedi will last? Another flash in the pan, albeit a particularly uninspired and thoroughly incompetent one." Janus snickered. He lived for these kinds of moments when he got to ridicule people. "Once that paltry collection of misfits and morons collapses in on itself, you'll flock back to the actual Jedi; right back to square one... Then slaughtered like the replaceable vermin you are by the One Sith.

He let that sink in before continuing. "Though, speaking of cowards and One Sith... Was it not you and your timorous colleagues who opted to flee to the outskirts of space rather than defend the Republic from that rampaging Sith horde? I refuse to believe you've actually any ground to stand on- calling people cowards. An incalculable amount of people have perished for your collective lack of valor."

Out of habit, Connor began to spin the hilt around in his hand, never lowering his gaze from the Sith above him. There was a vicious stale-mate present, and he was determined not to be the one to break it; if there was ever a test of his morals, it would be this moment.

But then again, he was acting alone out in the wilderness of space.

”I wouldn’t know about being cowardly against the One Sith. The Republic Jedi are more than capable of defining their own without our help – why would we risk our Order when we know we are not strong enough ourselves?”

He gave a small shrug.

”Cowardly you may call us, but I like to think of us as…careful. Pick your battles. Unlike the Sith, who rampage along with no regard for even their own- just cut through those before you and hope your brethren are still standing behind you once it’s over. You’re right – you’re not cowards. You’re just desperate.”

His left hand rose and he pointed a finger to the dark mask.

”What are you digging – “ Connor started, before snapping his head left.

A masked humanoid unfurled a repeater carbine aimed at the Silver Jedi. With his left hand Connor pushed out into a palm and emitted a wave of Force energy to knock the mercenary backwards off the ledge of the pyramid he had climbed up, sending him down to the ground below…seconds passing before a dull thud and groan followed.

Bringing his face back to the Sith, Connor continued without losing his cool; ”What are you digging for, tell me.”

[member="Darth Janus"]

"Of course you would prefer 'careful.' No one likes to think themselves cowardly, but the truth is often a bitter thing." Janus snorted, not making an effort to hide his contempt in the gesture. "Perhaps when you people come to terms with that instead of making excuses, the One Sith will be defeated sooner rather than later."

Janus, too, was momentarily preoccupied and perplexed by the sudden appearance of the carbine toting mercenary. Finally, someone had bothered to try and return his calls and see what the fuss was about. It didn't work out so well in the end. Janus would make note to commend that man for his bravery and initiative once he was finished here. Having watched the mercenary's violent descent to the ground as well, Janus returned his masked gaze to the Jedi.

"Well, if you must know, I am excavating this tomb in hopes of finding the legendary Amulet of Darth Mindyourownbusinessyoubothersometoad."

As if he would spill the proverbial beans as to what brought him here. No, Janus had a strict ruleset when it came to these kinds of engagements. If he was going to open his mouth, it would be to ridicule, berate, and otherwise lecture the enemy. Never, under any circumstances, was it wise to pontificate the details of one's master plan when the enemy was still of able mind and body to act against it.

Connor scoffed under his breath, shaking his head in disbelief. Disbelief at the frustration he felt and the utter riddle in which the Sith spoke. He was obviously here to seek something dangerous; he was here for dark matter and he was here unlawfully.

There was no judgement, no Master - and Connor defined what it meant to be a Silver Jedi, and a Shadow. He wasn't here to prove something. He was here to act.

Glazing his thumb back over the activation button on the hilt, Connor looked into the faceless mask and made his choice.

Control dark. Empower light.

The blue blade snap-hissed into life.

His boots advanced two more steps the blade slowly curved around to now point towards the Sith warrior.

"Enough talk. You leave, or you fall."

Connor's brow was knotted and his eyes a steely gaze of ice blue, refraining from giving into his reckless, uncontrolled rage.

[member="Darth Janus"]

Janus slid lazily back into the opening stance of Soresu, once again concentrating as he prepared to draw on the Force and bend it to his will. In the face of Harrison's advance, the Umbaran did not budge. For all intents and purposes, it seemed this Connor character had no interest in continuing their banter or (in Janus' opinion) listening to reason. Fine. This was a joke to him. Another delightful parody in a very long series of farces that was his entire, miserable existence. Granted, he had sunk quite the tidy fortune into this excavation, and it would be a proper shame if his plans were foiled...

...No, no, no. It wouldn't do to think of the negative. He would thrash and likely murder this upstart and then return to his real work.

"Clemency, I beseech you. Stay your blade, O merciful Silver Jedi!" Janus sardonically 'begged.' "I am merely an archaeologist."

As the Sith took a lazy stance with no effort and his raspy, patronising voice came from behind his mask, Connor knew this was simply detraction from the matter at hand; an unlawful excavation with nothing but danger at the end of it.

Connor cut himself off from the distraction of the far-reaching noise of the machinery and industry around them, with only the blade humming before him, looking down the light blue weapon towards the dark figure.

”I will not let you continue here.”

His voice was calm, but stern and with now emotion.

Such was his calm, that bringing his left arm forward, he curled his fingers back into his palm and exerted an enhanced grip with the Force which he envisioned wrapped around the robes of the Sith’s chest in an attempt to pull him down the remaining steps to his level; his saber arm readied for a left swipe.

[member="Darth Janus"]

Suddenly there was pressure on his chest, squeezing him firmly but not to the point of suffocation or severe pain. It was only for a brief moment before he suddenly felt himself being wrenched forward. Great. Janus hadn't made the first move and yet it was still somehow him being the one to charge the Padawan. He couldn't do anything right. There was an awkward moment where the Sith had no footing, stumbling blindly forward. Despite this abysmal footwork, he could see Harrison's blade come for him in a left-handed swipe.

It was all he could do to angle his own blade to parry his enemy's, but given the indignity of being Force Pulled by a Padawan of all things, Janus also found the time to ball his other hand into a fist and send it hurtling towards the underside of Connor's jaw. An uppercut. Crude, but by this point they were clearly done with pleasantries.

The crack of the lightsaber blades connecting was something of a peverse welcome for Connor - hearing the sound of his sword clashing with one driven from evil; from darkness, the one thing he was out to quell. It meant he was fighting a battle that started years ago and he was striking the source.

But, with a dull thud, the Sith's fist impacted heavily into Connor's jaw. It was enough to draw a sharp breath and send that thick pain you felt when your head was being compressed. Too late to move with the punch, the Jedi arched back and lost footing down two stone stairs.

Turning, he tried to ignore the pain as their blades pushed away. Now they were closer, he could observe and use the Force to hopefully mind his surroundings and the masked Sith's actions - which seemed to be just as underhanded and dirty as the Silver Shadows had taught him in training with the Silvers.

Lowering his body forward slightly, holding the hilt in his both hands across his chest, Connor went for a strike across the chest, full frontal and full of determination and anger.

[member="Darth Janus"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom