Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Ionic Neural Pacifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
silencedpistolfw6.jpg

Image Source: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Intent: An all-purpose stealth weapon for Spynet agents
Development Thread: Will do if necessary
Manufacturer: InnoTeQ
Model: Ionic Neural Pacifier
Affiliation: Spynet
Modularity: No
Production: Limited (Spynet use only)
Material: Blaster components, Durasteel
Classification: Ion/Stun Blaster
Size: Handheld
Length: 35 centimeters
Weight: 1.6 kg
Ammunition Type: Power cell
Ammunition Capacity: 15 ion shots; Memory loss costs 3 (see below)
Effective Range: Personal
Rate of Fire: Semi-automatic

Special Features: In many ways, this is similar to a standard ion gun with a few unique distinctions. Most obviously to the outside observer, the weapon is silenced and fires an invisible bolt, similar to the Nightstinger or Stiletto, making it ideal for stealth operations. The most important difference, however, is that the weapon can cause memory loss in organic targets (see description below).

Description: This bulky weapon was designed to counteract one of the Spynet’s greatest weaknesses - leaving evidence. Although the Stiletto weapons platform excels at entering undetected, the only stun setting is the quick-firing but imprecise Riot mode. As such, agents tend to go the lethal route, and seem resistant to carry an additional weapon simply for the stun setting; many carry an ion blaster anyway, given their usefulness in disabling cameras, scanners, and automated defenses. InnoTeQ decided to attempt to amend this by combining the concepts into a single weapon.
The INP appears a fairly standard if slightly large ion pistol at first glance. It has been modified for Nightstinger-like qualities, including a (fairly bulky) silencer, to compliment this stealth purpose. However, the main feature of the weapon is that it can cause short-term memory loss in organic targets.
This requires the weapon to be set to the right firing mode first, reducing its effective capacity to five rounds. Initially, the weapon seems to function like a standard blaster set to stun. However, instead of simply knocking the victim out, the blast overloads the synapses in the pre-frontal cortex and causes them to fire uncontrollably. This, in addition to knocking the victim unconscious, causes short-term memory loss. The target must be hit in the head for the memory loss to take effect. As with standard stun bolts, the effect is not guaranteed; tougher targets (and especially ones that know the blast is coming) can retain consciousness and, by extension, their memory. In addition, the effect is tailored to human targets. Other species can suffer its effects, but are much more susceptible the closer their physiology is to a humans'.
When the target wakes up (around five minutes later), he will have a terrible headache and be unable to remember anything from about two minutes before he was hit. In addition, no new memories will be stored for about three minutes afterwards. The victim will have no memory of the event, though there may be a “remember that you remembered” phenomenon regarding the wearing off process (though by that time the user should be several minutes gone).

Repeated exposure to this weapon has shown signs of permanent memory loss, and even, in semi-rare instances, very minor cases of brain damage. This can manifest itself in numerous ways, though a (relatively) common symptom is associating the action the target was doing at time of impact with a random word in the target’s recent memory. For this reason, agents are encouraged to be extremely cautious with the use of the weapon, and use in the middle of combat is strongly discouraged.

OOC: This weapon came around when I was kicking around two ideas for Spynet weapons - a combination ion/stun blaster (because ion blasters fairly situational, but still effective) and a definitive, standardized way to apply Spectre-1 at range. This was my attempt at combining those two concepts.
I am willing to do a dev thread if necessary. I realize the Nightstinger bolt may be reaching a bit without one yet, but I figured that with the stealth goal in mind and the fact that PLQ has experience with it, I might as well add it in.
Also, I have no idea if anybody else can relate to the “remember that you remembered” phenomenon, but that’s the best way to describe me after I got my wisdom teeth out. :p

Ahra Martrey said:
This requires the weapon to be set to the right firing mode first, reducing its effective capacity to five rounds. Initially, the weapon seems to function like a standard blaster set to stun. However, instead of simply knocking the victim out, the blast overloads the synapses in the pre-frontal cortex and causes them to fire uncontrollably.
How is shooting someone with this in the chest going to cause a surge of the pre-frontal cortex?

[member="Silara Kuhn"] I have two ideas on adjusting for this concern:
A. Add some technobabble about having the blast tuned for the right frequency to impact the brain in such a way;
or B. Add a stipulation that the target must be shot in the head for the memory loss to kick in, otherwise it's simply an expensive stun.

I imagine that I would prefer A and you would prefer B. With that in mind, I will edit [EDIT: have edited] the sub for B.

Ahra Martrey said:
This requires the weapon to be set to the right firing mode first, reducing its effective capacity to five rounds. Initially, the weapon seems to function like a standard blaster set to stun. However, instead of simply knocking the victim out, the blast overloads the synapses in the pre-frontal cortex and causes them to fire uncontrollably.
Please make a stipulation that this is not always the case, we cannot force another writer to accept damage on their characters, nor does this thing guarantee its effect regardless depending on species.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom