Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Integrated Dampener Baffles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Example of baffles on a gas system. note how expanding gas is diverted around the main channel.
cutaway_mk2_silencer_by_ulricconnal-d6cue72.jpg

Intent: To extend my parts line and to set things down for an upcoming submission.
Development Thread: Baffles Baffle Baffled Baffles
Manufacturer: Phenex Industries
Model: Integrated Dampener Baffles
Affiliation: Open Market
Modularity: Can be sized for different ships.
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel, Engine Componets
Description: Utilizing the Joule-Thomson Effect whereby expanding gasses rapidly cool, Phenex designed a system of conical baffles that are built directly on to the end of a ship's sublight drive. These baffles create a marked reduction in exhaust temperature without loosing thrust pressure enabling a stealth ship to not be detected by exhaust tracking. Finally cross rudders were added over the end of the final expansion chamber's exhaust similar to the Y-wing's disc vectrals to assist in maneuvering as they pushed against the ship's exhaust. Ships corvette size and lower receive a maneuvering rating of 2 faster while frigates and higher only receive 1 better due to diminishing thrust-to-mass ratios.

It should also be noted that these baffles do not hide the ship itself, only the exhaust. Without a cloaking system or some other stealth technology like Nightshadow the ship is as obvious as any other. Furthermore this cannot Improve a ship's maneuverability rating beyond 1.

Primary Source: Vectral
Thrust Trace Damper

I like the concept and the science behind this.

Unfortunately, I got a headache while researching about 7 different wikipedia pages to see if the science behind this actually checked out.

For the most part though, the science totally checks out. The only issue with this is I can't quite nail down whether this sort of system would suffer a reduction in thrust potential or not. My instincts say yes... But the science is iffy. From what I can tell though, the system is designed to operate in an insulated environment when gas and thermal energy cannot escape, as opposed to the vacuum of space.

Like... I keep reading, but the science is at a high enough level that I can't translate it into bullcrapium.

So, for the sake of my sanity and to make the headache go away, lets just assume that the science checks out and this stuff works in the vacuum of space.

And lets get down to the Star Wars side of this.

The Vector Thrusters, working with Etheric Rudders, improving the maneuverability of the host ship? Totally makes sense.
The fancy thrusters adding a stealth effect so long as the ship isn't going full speed or flank speed? Sounds fair and balanced.

My only real issue is that the component provides a static +2 or +1 to Maneuverability, but without any balancing trade-off.

So this is what I'm going to need from you...

One way or another, I need you to state in the submission that the maximum maneuverability this component can help a ship achieve is Maneuverability 1.

In addition to that, I'm going to need this component to cause a -1 speed penalty to frigates and a -2 speed penalty to ships of corvette sized and smaller.
Or.
Do a 15 post dev thread and have the component cause a -1 speed penalty to ships of corvette size and smaller.

For anybody reading up on this submission, the application's section of the Wiki will prove the most helpful after the introduction for those wanting a quick study of the basics without becoming a scientist.
And just for the sake of providing evidence, spray your hand with an air can, all expanding gas cools. The specific systems mentioned (process industry cooling/refrigeration) do need to be sealed so the gas can be reused to avoid pollution while maximizing thermal loss.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[member="War Hydra"]
I really couldn't think of a trade off for the rudder unless using them while stealthed created turbulence in the ion/exhaust stream thus making it noticeable.
Stated max maneuverability is 1.
Dev thread incoming shortly.

Domino said:
Ships corvette size and lower receive a maneuvering rating of 2 faster while frigates and higher only receive 1 better due to diminishing thrust-to-mass ratios.

Domino said:
Furthermore this cannot Improve a ship's maneuverability rating beyond 1.
This appears to contradict each other, could you clarify or fix this?

Domino said:
Dev thread incoming shortly.
It is my understanding that this is complete, could you add it into the submission?

Ongoing, my apologies, I was forced to turn my attention to real life maters.

I was asked to state the can't improve maneuverability beyond 1 for balance reasons otherwise it could send an interceptor into negatives, or theoretically infinite maneuverability.

I've edited the submission and added the link to the dev thread. [member="Braith"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom