Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inspiration behind characters?

Hello all, it's been a while since I had a nice chat with all of you and so I'm curious, what inspired your characters? A song, playby, another fictional character? For instance, I made Scarlett after rewatching one of my all-time favourite movies, Chicago, and was reminded of the brilliant character that was Velma Kelly, who for those of you who don't know is a jazz performer who just so happens to also be guilty of double homicide.

Or maybe, like I did with most of my other characters, you thought, 'need to make a character. Uuuhhh...let's make her a Jedi, shall we? Quick, think of a personality!' Whatever it is, I'm interested to hear!

Matsu is pretty far from my original idea from her (and I'm not mad about it), but originally she was sort of a remake of a character I wrote a looooooooong time ago on another board. I didn't draw inspiration for her from a character, book, or movie so much as a concept. As anyone who knows me can attest, I'm extremely influenced by 'concepts' when it comes to Matsu. Art, music, and scenery are big things for me when it comes to her. I'm inspired by feelings and states of being, things like 'l'appel du vide' or 'yugen'. She's a very ethereal, esoteric thing and I'm influenced by things just as fluid.

Onley is more concrete. When I was watching Season 2 of Marco Polo and
Marco & Mei Lin bring the little boy Emperor back to Khan's keep
I was SO inspired by how chill and badass that little kid looked like it ain't no thang walking between two lines of soldiers armed to the teeth in to an enemy camp, and I said to myself "that'd be Rev & Matsu's kid." And then I decided I'd love to write that.

Jessica arose out of character development as a NPC: she was very vengeance-driven as a NPC, and when the vengeance was accomplished in the end, I realized that there was way too many things I could use her in a plot for her to just stay as a NPC.

Because of the picture I used back in her NPC days (and is the very same I use with her as a PC) I portrayed her backstory as having been recruited by some Mando modeling agency that she turned down. Maybe I'm wrong but in canon, human/Near-Human Mandos seemed to like very tall women with Amazon-level amounts of flesh, hence all physical descriptions of her being that of a woman with very similar morphology to female Wookiees. And you can't argue with that when you're dealing with a 6 ft 6/220 lb human/Near-Human woman (or 1.98m/100 kg in metric measurements)...

After she ICly designed an AI almost out of thin air and almost all by herself over a couple of days, she had some impression that the Force was using her as it would a computer (alongside a few other people with intellectual profiles similar to hers) or other people used Memory Enhancement, Force-comprehension or Instinctive Astrogation Control (or other cognition-enhancing Force-powers) and it actually meant making her think in the user's stead.

Connor Harrison comes from a blend of 'Star Trek Into Darkness' and 'Assassins Creed III' elements.

His name is the first name of the lead in 'ACIII' that I just finished playing so had it in my head, and his surname is the surname of the character that inspired me to make him originally, so had to tip my hat there; John Harrison from 'STID'.

I fell in love with Benedict Cumberbatch's performance as Khan in 'STID' from the trailers. The teaser in particular sold by with just his voice and his monologue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diP-o_JxysA

Made me think what if he was in the Star Wars galaxy? What if he was a Jedi, but not your usual goody-goody? What if he had demons, and broke the rules, but wanted to do the right thing no matter what? What if he was a dangerous man but carried the title of Jedi?

Using Khan's image, I created Connor Harrison - Rogue Jedi who found his way to the Silver Jedi Order, and now everyone has helped shape him to morph into Stephen Strange which suits his image and journey arc.....so all good!

The inspiration for Kurayami was the utter ridiculousness I saw running around back when I started in 2007 on facebook. Short version, edgy, godmodding and meta happy characters all round, ridiculous number of abilities and strengths with sometimes literally no weaknesses.

So I wrote an incredibly convoluted backstory that was beyond ridiculous. And the character was a drunk, never did much of anything with all his supposed power except tell war stories and mess with people in the cantina. This nigh immortal Force god was useless.

And that was the point. He was created as a satirical character, to make fun of the craziness I witnessed. Sadly, that was missed by most writers, so eventually I turned him into a more serious character. Problem was I forgot to write him a non-satirical bio.

In this incarnation, I decided to give him a more realistic backstory, make it more obvious that he was human and did struggle with things. He maintained some of his characteristics, his sarcasm, proclivity to drink copious, his heritage, his skill as a pilot. As far as other aspects of him it is hard to say. As many people have mentioned bits of characters that they saw in him. But on here, more of an Erich Hartmann in the air and Indiana Jones on the ground, minus the bull whip.

For Medru It have to be a mix of two characters, So i though to myself what would happen if darth maul had never become a sith, and what if he gained more of a Darth Marr personality, so like knowing when it pointless to cling onto the past and sometimes you have to move on and evolve into something more while also leave that part of you that actually makes you a person, while also make him question what his role in the galaxy truly is as he attempts to find what his actual role in the galaxy is while cause some chaos along the way.

Death Metal.

death-metal_o_343481.gif

Many things and none. Abyss has no fictional character or whatever that directly inspired him but he traits and ideas behind him that are small pieces of inspiration put together. When I started on chaos I already set on creating a sith, just because I like the sith, and so many of his inspirations are just legends Canon sith lords, most notably a little bit of Bane, Nihilus, Sion, A tiny bit of Vader and a hint of uniqueness lol. Also some ideas are taken from outside of star wars, most notably Kane from command and conquer, who inspired Abyss odd way to talk and some other stuff.

Him being inspired by those sith lords is actually something that is acknowledged IC as he is very well read on the sith of the past and learns about them whenever he can lol. Over time this turned him into some kind of sith historian or lorekeeper

Ignus actually came into being as a result of watching a fan film on YouTube. It involved Revan and Mission Vao. I loved the way he was portrayed as he faced off with a Jedi. Spurred me to make Ignus, who is quickly becoming my favorite character.

Tiland comes from a little all over. I really like the monastic elements of the Jedi, especially the really old Old Republic Jedi when they were fairly decentralized, as well as martial arts movies. Perhaps most directly, he was also inspired by Jedi Master Fay.

Or probably most directly by Fay and Vodo-Siosk Baas, especially their monastic mysticism. At least partly in response to when we had all these Jedi warriors running around in super heavy armor and focusing solely on battle. Tiland is also a response to that, the more spiritual side of the Jedi.

Kei started by me going "alright, I want a smuggler character, force user who can tell a story, because telling a story is something i'm dreadful at". Kei developed when his avatar was made, a friend of mine knew exactly what I was going for and that was that. So I had Kei, a youngish dude who smuggled a lot from Corellia.

Personality is always hard. I always find some of my own personality gets in there while writing, but most of my personality for Kei comes from a blend of Comedy legend and the worlds most serious man. If you ever get a chance to see the darker side of Kei, that side is modelled after England's own David Cameron, because that man can not do humour and is the most boring man known to mankind. He also has a hint of my history teacher in there, again a boring dude.

Kei's funny side comes from three of my all time comedy greats. They all got drunk, had a baby and Kei's funny side was born. Sarah Millican, Russel Howard and Frankie Boyle. I'm not as politically ranty as those three (meet me IRL, that's a lie) and Kei knows when to draw the line, but he takes influence from all three.

Ophidia was born out of a thought that ran through my head about how Asajj Ventress would be if she fully embraced the dark side and became a full-on Sith. I started with her on SWTOR and later based my character here on the darkest possible path on the Sith Inquisitor quest-line. After watching the Clone Wars animated series, I parted with the concept of Sith-Ventress and let the character live more of her own life. However, it would seem the paths were largely parallel and I eventually embraced the similarities, featuring the dual-wielded, curved lightsabres, the serpentine motif, similar form of fighting, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom