Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hyperion Consulting

Corporation Name: Hyperion Consulting
Headquarters: Muunilist
Locations: Muunilist, Adumaar,
Senior Partners: Guude Joo'louya, Baide Joo'louya, Zach Porcelain, and Don Megla

Operations:
Hyperion Consulting is the primary legal arm of Mandal Hypernautics. The company handles all contracts, finances, investments, payrolls, acquisitions, mergers, and legal actions on behalf of Mandal Hypernautics and subsidiaries of Mandal Hypernautics. When a particular legal action falls outside of their specialization of Business and Infrastructure, Financial Council and Management, and Property and Land Leasing, Hyperion Consulting refers their clients to a number of capable law firms who are equipped to handle the needs of their clients.

Rationale:
OOC:
To create a subsidized legal firm to handle the bulk of administration, financial, and investment work for Mandal Hypernautics and subsidiary companies. Likewise, the company is intended to serve as both sword and shield for Mandal Hypernautics in the courtroom and accepts contracts to represent and consult with individual and businesses partners of Mandal Hypernautics.
OOC:
To provide legal protection for Mandal Hypernautics and to provide a new avenue for roleplay and expansion with Mandal Hypernautics and characters associated with Mandal Hypernautics.
IC:
As Mandal Hypernautics grew in power and wealth, the need for adequate legal protection and enforcement of copyrights became apparent to CEO Rygel Larraq. Taking it upon himself to protect his company in all aspects, Rygel Larraq sought out the best lawyers he could find. From Muunilist, to Adumar and Mandalore, CEO Rygel Larraq sought out and acquired the services of some of the top legal names in the Mandalorian Territories and established offices for his newly acquired partners on key financial and manufacturing worlds throughout the Mandalorian Territories.

Tier: II

Description:
A subsidiary of Mandal Hypernautics, Hyperion Consulting is a legal firm that operates throughout the Mandalorian Territories. Their primary offices are on Muunilist and Adumar. The company is headed by a group of four senior partners who have proven themselves in their respected fields of law. While individual lawyers specialize on one field or another, the company as a whole focuses on Business and Infrastructure, Financial Council and Management, and Property and Land Leasing. For the occasions where the representation and consultation needs of Mandal Hypernautics fall outside their realm of expertise, Mandal Hypernautics officials are referred to respected secondary legal firms that are equipped to handle the litigation process on Mandal Hypernautics' behalf.

While the company focuses on business opportunities within Mandalorian Borders, individuals within the company obsessively study and master the laws and regulations of key worlds and major governments throughout the galaxy. When a business arrangement or legal action would require familiarity with local laws unfamiliar to Hyperion Consulting representatives, the company often hires new and seasoned lawyers alike from the world in question. Though sometimes they simply consult with an uninvolved local firm for the duration of the legal action.

Subsidiaries: None

WITH DEV THREAD

Do you have a dev thread where this new subsidiary is being created?

Suggestions

That is -alot- of specializations for a tier 2 law firm that was just created. Please cut back to a more reasonable amount. Like two or three areas of specialization. As you grow in tier with the law firm, it can expand into new areas. Edit your description accordingly.

But from the get go, no more than two or three.

Locations for a tier two will need to be cut down to three.

[member="Danger Arceneau"]

Those are not specializations. Those are areas of law that the company is equipped to handle. 'specializations' will be handled by individual lawyers (Named NPC's) that specialize in particular areas of law. Often in broad, sweeping generalizations... But handled by individual NPC's all the same.

If you'll read through, you'll see that many of the types of law listed there are simply aspects of the legal process that are included in each legal action.

Such as, when seeking to acquire a new property you would need to know...

Alternative Dispute Resolution
Appellate Practice
Arbitration
Breach of Contract
Civil Litigation
Class Actions
Complex Litigation
Construction Law
Contracts
Copyrights
Corporate Law
Eminent Domain
Employment Contracts
Environmental Law
Estate Litigation
Estate and Gift Taxation
Expungements
Franchises and Franchising
Immigration
Litigation
Property Insurance
Property Tax
Real Estate
Tax Audits
Tax Planning
Taxation
Trust and Estates
Venture Capital
Zoning, Planning, and Land Use

The bold areas would be the important legal areas that fall under the 'property' generalization, while the un-bolded areas would be fairly general aspects of the legal process that every lawyer knows, or simply supporting skills that would be helpful for a 'Property' lawyer to know in order to better do his job.

If you'd like to read up some more on the subject, here's a link for you.
http://research.lawyers.com/areas-of-law-definitions.html#sectl

Danger Arceneau said:
Locations for a tier two will need to be cut down to three.
Can you show me where that rule or guideline is posted?

Also, this is something that's been in the background of Mandal Hypernautics for a while. I know I've joked about him having a Neimoidian lawyer since I made Captain Larraq, but as a subsidiary of Mandal Hypernautics, the offices are purchased by the parent company and the main lawyers are hand picked and hired to cover the aspects of Law that Mandal Hypernautics would be concerned with.

And as a Tier 4 (pending Tier 5 request) company, Mandal Hypernautics has a lot of legal concerns that need to be managed.

[member="Captain Larraq"]

A law firm can be equipt to handle a multiple amount of areas -- but reasonably, you won't be able to have such a vast amount of areas you are on the know. Lawyers are given a general sweep of information, and based on their OTJ training on the firm they go into or based on internships, can be highly specialized despite the broad spectrum. Most firms specialize in one or two areas, any more than that is a waste of resources and money.

It isn't just lawyers however, but paralegals, underwriters -- things like that. Even with backing, it is unreasonable to believe that one would have every single lawyer, paralegal and resource in one area without having to outsource from the beginning. You can further develop this through IC development in threads as this grows in tier.

Again, please edit the areas your tier 2 location may cover. Locations are based on what a tier can reasonably partake in. IE the offices this specific subsidiary headquarters is at and for this two other different branches. Again please edit accordingly.

[member="Danger Arceneau"]

I'll drop the Adumar location. But would I be able to add that at a later date with a dev thread for that specific location?

Are there any limitations to the total number of planets a company can be on after creation? If so, could you explain those limitations, as you see them, by Tier?

Please review the NPC list that I created to lead this company. If it's really such an issue I can remove the list in its entirety from this submission as it was included for thoroughness sake. Removing it entirely really takes nothing away from the company, I simply liked having that list there.

As I see it, it really boils down to the seven aspects of legal council that I set up with the NPC list. The three big ones to this and any business are Business and Infrastructure, Financial Council and Management (everything from payroll to employee benefits, to tax laws and skimping taxes however possible), and Property and Land Leasing,

Particularly important for Mandal Hypernautics (because Hyperion Security operates a combat fleet), Maritime Law and Military and Police Action Laws.... (I can't figure out the best way to explain this one without a long list of sub-sections)... the law regarding law enforcement, criminal action, private security guidelines, legal defense against government accusations, exc. You know... in case my private security company needs to go turn a civilian area into a combat zone. Knowing the laws and guidelines for military and police actions is important

As for the seventh section... I know 'Medical Law' is a bit odd, but Hyperion Security now operates a small fleet of Medical Frigates and Prison Ships. Why? Because they often use non-lethal options and need a place to store prisoners and because most/many prisons in the real world are private companies. And the medical aspect... well... soldiers get injured and it's good PR if you are capable of providing medical services to survivors or bystanders. So... that's why Medical is included...

This is where outsourcing, partner referrals, and the like come into play. Your firm does not need to be the catch all number one place you go to do your legal consulting. See the following: http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/garicano.pdf

I will ask you one more time -- as a tier 2 company pick two to three areas your firm focuses on. You may expand into other areas through character development in threads as this specific subsidiary grows in tiers. This includes locations.

Danger Arceneau said:

This is where outsourcing, partner referrals, and the like come into play. Your firm does not need to be the catch all number one place you go to do your legal consulting. See the following: http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/garicano.pdf

I will ask you one more time -- as a tier 2 company pick two to three areas your firm focuses on. You may expand into other areas through character development in threads as this specific subsidiary grows in tiers. This includes locations.
Getting a File not Found error at that link.

I'll just remove the list entirely. That seems like a simpler solution.

EDIT:
The list is gone now and I've also removed Adumar from the location list

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom