Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Did You Fall in Love?

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
Everyone has that sacred character of theirs (Maybe two, but usually no more than that.) that they cling to and invest their hearts in every post, detailing their personality with perfection and digging into their heart to discover who they really are to themselves.

The thing is, you don't choose which character you fall in love with. It's a process, just like you would gradually fall in love with a boy or girl. You don't even know at the beginning whether you'll like the character or not. Heh, you probably don't even understand 75% of their personality right off the bat! And yet, months down the road, you find yourself immersed in the mind of one of your creations. But you learn them, just like you learn your friend. You observe them just like the people you are writing with, not knowing their deepest feelings until you have dived into their heart enough to get a grasp of what makes them tick.

Eventually you discover that you have fallen in love. And the amusing thing about it all: You have fallen in love with a fictional person.

So, which character have you fallen in love with? And why do you think that is?

For me, I fell in love with [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] and [member="Corvetta Salvo"], though Geneviève is certainly the Number One. She personifies the clash of good and bad for me. She is firmly set against the forces of evil and takes up the more-or-less righteous cause invariably--and yet some might consider her a bad person. She does what she feels needs to be done, and even if she does something she knows is wrong, her obstinacy and pride eventually gives her actions justification internally. She knows she's guilty, but she was only doing what was best; the wrong things for the right reasons.

She cares about the people of the galaxy, yet is largely apathetic with people on a personal level. She even adopted a kid out of an impulsive sort of kindness but refuses to even accept the role of 'mom'. She does her best to stay emotionally detached and has laughed only once and never cried in the entire time I've been writing her. I've always attributed this to her pride and paranoia, but lately I've been coming to understand that her behavior is significantly anchored in 'daddy issues'. She has never felt loved and, at this point, doesn't want to.

I don't know why. I suppose I enjoy her largely for philosophical/psychological reasons. She's not just an anti-hero. She's nearly anti-whatever-you-would-expect.

As for Corvetta--she's just the polar opposite of Geneviève. She is always staying positive and has a quirky way of making friends with almost anyone. She likes everyone, while Gen is simply bitter and indifferent. Corvetta has her own psychological issues and is by no means untroubled and carefree, but she always makes sure to find the bright side in things as long as there is some good alcohol to be had at the end of the day. She's just someone I'd want to be around every day.

[member="Beowoof"]
I find it harder and harder to fall in love with new characters, simply because the old ones have more history.

Nantaris, Shadow, Phylis, Tegs, all characters with at least 7 years of RPs or writing behind them.

Some newer ones have managed it, but by and large they are the ones I lose interest with first.

I hope to change that though….

I'll copy and paste what i had written about danger before...

it pretty much sums it up why i love her.

This is veryyyyyy long..

Danger…

My goodness, where to begin?

I guess we can start with the name. I know I get teased about it every now and then, but I just thought it was a fantastic name for a smuggler.

Danger’s little known full name is actually Dangeruese Rose Arceneau; Danger for short.

Dangeruese came from a name of a novel, and I fell in love with it right away. I love that her name is Danger. You can have so much fun with puns in regards to that.

Arceneau came from the french overall meaning of “A family of gunsmiths” that’s what the Arceneau’s were on Tatooine -- gunsmiths. Gunrunners, traders and in my mind a bit of piracy in their blood.

I was on a major Firefly kick at the time, and my image and inspiration of Danger came from Christina Hendrick’s character Saffron.
giphy.gif
She's so sassy!

Ohh lawdy, yes. I could totally picture Christina as my Danger. She had that vivaciousness, that sass, a bit of a flirt -- and a total firecracker. Red hair, full hips, green eyes, with a mouth that could cuss a blue streak and a gun hand that could shoot the shiv off a hand at 50 meters.

She was to be my girl next door half from a backwater planet looking to make a name for herself in her daddy’s trading company.

Hapan genes were tossed in because.. well it is Christina Hendricks. But more along the lines of the Lorell Pirate Raiders than true Hapen to boot.

So this was my first inspiration for her… that’s when I started to roleplay.. and ohh boy..

@Noxu Za’tire ruined her.

Danger started out friendly, open with a side of flirty and a golden heart. There was no mistaking who she was, she was loud and proud of it. Noxu Za’tire, being her childhood friend knew her well, saw her grow up-- at least until he disappeared when they were 14 without a word.

That was rather alarming; but a 14 year old girl can’t really do much in terms of searching.

Long story short, it wasn’t until about 7 years later that Danger stumbled across Nox; and let me tell you I’m sure you know how that went. TV tropes of “She’s all grown up” and “Will they won’t they” finally came to fruition -- and they had about six good months of finally seemingly getting the good life.

Then Nox went missing.

Either way, Danger wasn’t going to have it. She searched high and low, she was older now to do her own search. She refused to give up -- until her search ended up with her tossed in a dank underground cellar of a Hutt’s Palace alone and losing their baby in a horrible miscarriage.

Her daddy found her of course, his men having tracked her. And it was on that day,her daddy gave her the proof that Noxu had certainly up and disappeared willingly enough with enough credits to start up his own business venture -- Paid Noxu enough credits to hightail it out of Tatoine and leave Danger behind. See, Nox was a nobody; nothing but the deadbeat grime under August Arceneau’s boots. His little girl wasn’t going to get on with that kind of fool, much the less the one responsible for the death of Remi, his only son ( that’s another bit of drama… but it wasn’t Nox’s fault. Just circumstances)

Apparently -- he never looked back.

That’s the sort of betrayal that would feed like a dark festering pool of hate; for hate was just the other side of the coin of love.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, and this is where Danger’s lockjaw, tunnel focusing, and infamous grudge and ire scorn would develop.

Joan-Holloway-GIFs-12.gif

I learned here that Danger doesn’t forgive, nor does she forget. Every asset she had upon her Daddy’s death with Arceneau trade was spent on completely outbidding every bid against Nox’s company. Every connection, every bit of networking, contract, and what manner of sway she could use for the next seven years was done to bring a ruin to Fen’zati, Nox’s own trade and contract business.

She was feral and unyielding with her desire for vengeance. This is where i really enjoyed roleplaying her.. that “hell hath no fury like woman scorned.”

This is where she developed further. Where folk say the “Joan Holloway” of the Queen of Trade definately began to be molded. For her to rise up on top she had to use what her momma gave her; and in that was the hospitality and connections she could offer from her years of networking. Danger has pushed the economy of the ‘verse through trade and feeding those connections, bridging many deals, and becoming a sort of a neutral face of respectability.

200.gif

For that she had to change. She had to become refined. So she did. Those finishing school lessons her momma, Colette Arceneau taught her made all the difference.

But with the more she had to focus on that refined southern charm and coy tease, the less and less the true Danger would be seen, until she was barely a memory at all.

Few ever really get to see that side of Danger; @Narevni Garret did. A Republic soldier with some PTSD issues that would settle along with Danger in this rather interesting type of relationship. The one thing that Danger always covets and will have regardless is her privacy.

A woman’s reputation is all she really has -- and in her mind she has to maintain that illusion of being just out of reach for those businessmen and women who enjoy the game she sets in play.

Needless to say, the two men in her life she let in, Nox and Nar, well.. ended up betraying her and leaving her for a Jedi female --- talk about a kick to the teeth.

For a woman who seemed to have everything and was ultimately desirable, those she let in weren’t the sort to actually stay. You can see where confidence issues start to come in and grow the more and more she realises that while the illusion of this would be bombshell business saavy woman is there -- the men she’s actually interested in and let in to get to know the real her ended up tossing her to the side and leaving her second best.

It’s really kinda depressing…

Then we have [member="Alric Kuhn"]…. ohhh boy.

That… that is like another seven pages worth of IC and OOC influences. How do you even explain the relationship that is Alric Kuhn and Danger Arceneau?

To a degree, they are both very much alike. They love to play the game, to see just how far they can go to push things, to win. It is all mental and in this I think is the reason why they got along -- granted to begin with, they really didn’t get along at all.

Long story short, their experiences and what they faced together ended up showing each other at their best and at their utter worst. This kind of revelation ends up building a kind of bond that the other didn’t realize they desperately needed -- both had no living family left and no true friends.

In each other, they found that bond. And perhaps in that… well.. neither was very willing to lose it.

Toss in another lost child, betrayal, and this quote pretty much sums it up:

“A woman can do everything a man wants, or thinks he wants -- but still not be what he desires.”

snnmnc.jpg
There is more to the story, but that is a thread with well over 500 posts and that is only the beginning. I am amazed and grateful for everything that has been developed for the character, but at the same time… i can’t help but go -- geezus.. Will Danger ever be happy? Will she always be cursed to be “second place?” I dunno.

Ultimately, Danger is who she is right now based solely on ic actions meet ic consequences all driven by PC interactions. I love that.

I really really do.

What will be in store for Danger?

I don’t know -- but I am certainly excited to find out. :)

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
Danger Arceneau said:
Arceneau came from the french overall meaning of “A family of gunsmiths”
I'm disappointed. I thought it had something to do with 'arse'. Like, Dangerous Arse-neau, seeing how you use Hendricks as your avatar. :p

I think we're all in love with our own characters.

I'm smitten with Omni, just because of how he grew from a droid project on another board to the massive and larger-than-life villain on this one.

I loved Akala, mainly because she was based off the "crazy obsessive ex-girlfriend" idea and didn't turn out to be super lame, at least not to me. Masks of Madness had her at a kind of "meh" level but I feel like she really rocked my world in Netherworld, as she just kinda easily fell into that story. Felt natural to me as I was writing it, while Masks felt forced.

My favorite of all was Artemis Obauldi, though. The "do whatever it takes" Yuuzhan Vong who's extremely family oriented. He's from another community where I wrote him, but I've integrated him into my stories on this forum by implanting his memories and personality into another character.

The EU's Vong, to me, are just too fun. I love diving into a unique culture and just exploring it as much as possible. I like to be on the ropes with a niche rather than run with the rest of the crowd in the Force. While some people compare Force powers, I like to sit over here and just admire the difficulties non-FU's have to face in order to be on the same playing field. Struggle, not power, has always been the funnest thing for me to write so it's fun to inject these new archetypes into these different situations.

Kira Talith

Kinetic Communication at its finest my Chick-e-dee
It isn't falling in love with a character as much as enjoying how pleasantly surprised two characters can have this wonderful chemistry just happen out of the blue and turn into this... thing.

[member="Soliael Devin Talith"] and Kira Talith nee Liaden, were an interesting pair to begin with. I created Kira with the sole intention of making a Jedi that would be carefree, lively, a bit of a prankster, and just bubbly as all heck.

There was no desire for any kind of character relationship; I enjoyed Kira being who she was -- someone who wanted to help out people and would selflessly do so.

So when Sol came around, I definitely didn't think it would even get anywhere.

They first met during the Invasion of Metalorn -- and she quite literally tackled him to the ground. He was trying to chase down a youngling and she had to protect her!

Needless to say, the banter that ensued and the fact that Kira wasn't out to kill the guy -- only detain him; she even protected him from Rebel Fire because she considered him to be under her protection then -- it unknowingly became a pivotal moment. One that apparently had stayed in Sol's mind as the years went by.

Toss in getting tortured by his evil sister, and then discovered traumatized but still attempting to find the good in people brought Sol and Kira back together in the most oddest of ways. I guess the Force Willed it.

Our thread "Wake up" I had originally thought would be a quick 40 post thread of her getting healed up and then on her way. She was just this odd curious thing to the would be False God.

... over one thousand posts later has seen some epic character development that is still very mindblowing.

They've gone through so much, endured and preservered. Now they have a family and four kids. I am completely in awe at how much both of these characters have done in that thread alone.

It is definitely something I've fallen in love with. The both of them. Even if they are obnoxiously into each other.

Tsavong Kraal said:
I'm smitten with Omni
FEED MY EGO!

For reals though there's a few characters that I absolutely love.

There's Quietus who I knew from a different board. I just love the character and I've loved interacting with her across several of my alts, most notably Moridin and Soliael.

There's Kira who honestly I find incredibly entertaining.

There's Evelynn who I've probably had one of the biggest story-archs ever with. Started out as a mousy little girl and turned into a huge Sith Sorcerer that had interwoven plots with one of my cruelest characters.

Silara whom I found interesting and kind of fit Alric very well at the time they first got together. I quite enjoy that development entirely though.

Of course there's also Ashin, at least on the older days when Moridin was still around. The dynamic those two had made me love the character, though honestly that love has died as I've stopped paying attention to what she's doing(Soz bro)

As for my own characters? I have a massive ego so I love them all, though that is really a double edged sword.

To amend my previous comment, I am pretty sure I was head over heels for Alric, in terms of writing with him, but no matter how much I like reading those heart-melting replies, I seem to suffer even more with not wanting to write Silara.

Louise

here for your dad
I love writing with certain people rather than falling in love with my own characters, I live for the response of others rather than my own. My first writing love is obvious.

Nemene Talith - I don't think there was ever a period of time where I found writing so easy as I did writing Evelynn and Nemene. It just went from them meeting on a whim into this huge story where there was a rise, a fall and all of that in-between. It was likely the most comprehensive plot I've done in nine years of roleplaying.

[member="Vrag"] - This one is very recent, and at this point you see a trend in character types that I like (hello scary ladies ;) ). However, I feel that some of my greatest ever writing has been teased out of me by Vragglerock and we're currently half-way through a very well-thought out storyline which I completely adore and won't stop nattering on about.

There is an exception to the rule however.

I loved the original incarnation of Karin Dorn, who came from another board. She was fast, loose and absurdly easy to write. Her comedy wasn't to everybody's tastes as it was a bit bold, brash and generally annoying (a lot of non-passive aggressive fun fourth wall breaks) to keep it light but I really enjoyed the feel and flow of that character and I've often tried to recreate it. I especially adored Karin when I wrote her alongside [member="Avadreia Lacroix"] (oh, another scary lady!) a la Devil Wears Prada.

Also, due to Hal Terrano, I love Roy Batty and his butt.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Maleah Talith said:
Also, due to Hal Terrano, I love Roy Batty and his butt.
All of my yes. :D

I feel in love with the PbP genre itself. Total imagination, cooperative, dice at your leisure, and it fits any schedule. Amaz'balls. Where have you been my whole life PbP. It's like the perfect mix of every video game, tabletop, mmo, mud, and skype-riot I've ever wanted to play, but better. Dude. I jumped right in. Now, square one. Crafting a Legendarium is not as easy as it seems. Bleh. So I use StarWars instead and build from it. No need to go around crafting a whole universe when there is already one thriving right now. The EU is huge and Disney's plans are impressively massive. Perfect place to set up shop. This ain't no Rand al'Thor monkey business. This is 2015 baby.

I don't fall in love with all my characters. But I sure have fallen in love with writing these funky Space Opera Whateverz I type out. What a blast. :D

Aela Talith said:
Of course there's also Ashin, at least on the older days when Moridin was still around. The dynamic those two had made me love the character, though honestly that love has died as I've stopped paying attention to what she's doing(Soz bro)
'Sall good bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbXs9KwbrVw

I think for me it's either this character (Asemir) or another character, Drael-Ynn. Both were developed nearly ten years ago, and both were ways for me to explore who I am/was during a time of my life where I was in a very bad place. They were an outlet for me as I struggled with my failings as an honorable son to Asian parents and my worth as a human being. The facets of my personality/character are all reflected in their development.

Asemir has certainly grown the most, and it often surprises me how his story developed because I never intended it to go the way it did. It's almost as if I'm watching a real person go through life, dealing with the things that come. He's gone from an objective-oriented, ends-justify-the-means kind of guy to something more human.

It's been a journey with Asemir (and Drael-Ynn to a lesser extent). He's like this friend that I've known, which is really weird considering he's not real and is my creation. It's odd at times.

This guy and Teto Gravos are just two characters I like to return to, Teto has developed a lot, and this one I'm restarting development for.

The only problem with Teto here is it isn't the same... as for Alcastor here... no issues came up yet with how I RP him. I guess this version of Alcastor just feels natural to me now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom