Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Hound of Vahl

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hound

T
Inevitable_Death_by_StandAlone_Complex.jpg

A Priest of Vahl uses his Hounds to Train his apprentice.
[credit: Peter Ortiz]

Name: Hound of Vahl
Designation: Semi-Sentient
Homeworld: Coruscant
Language: Understands Basic and Vahla
Average height of adults: Average Human Height-2 Meters
Skin color: White and Black
Hair color: Red-Orange, red, or Black
Breathes: Type 1 only
Strengths:
  • Tracker: Hounds are created to have heightened senses of smell, sight, and hearing and their connection to the Force allows them to track Force Nexi and to some extent other Force Users.
  • Force User: Most knowledge on the Force from life has been lost. However, Hounds have been observed to use these three Force Powers at various levels.
    Kinetite
  • Force Lighting
  • ​Telekinesis
  • Force Meld
  • Force Body

[*]Alchemized Body: Most Hounds will be able to shrug off a blaster bolt or two. Alphas however have been shown to be able to shrug off blaster bolts entirely and have been able to take sustained blows from Force lightning and been observed to withstand sustained contact with lightsabers for no more than three seconds on its standard power setting. Anything higher than a regular power output cuts through the exoskeleton like any other material. In most cases this is due to the keratin that is forced to the surface from their hair follicles during their creation that creates a thin exoskeleton.
Weaknesses:

• Solid projectiles made of beskar and beskar alloys cut through them like they would a normal human.
  • Alchemical Blades and Force Imbued weapons follow suit
  • They can be directly controlled by their priest or priestess, lowering their effectiveness in battle when this is done
  • Shatterpoint destroys entire exoskeleton, killing the Alpha Hound instantly
  • Inability to swim
  • Due to the powerful ties to the Dark Side they have, they are easily detectable in the Force even from miles away, in the case of Alpha hounds and are extremely susceptible to Force Light
  • Lightsabers set even the slightest bit higher on its power setting will burn straight through an Alpha's exoskeleton
  • Cutting off their connection to their Priest or Priestess disrupts their combat flow, sending their bodies into a catatonic state. The length of time this lasts depends on a variety of variables such as:
    ​In the case of some sort of Force Nullification field such as Ysalimari the catatonic state lasts for approximately two minutes {One and a half posts}, subsequently sending them into a confused rage
  • Force Severing of the Priest or killing of said priest freezes them indefinitely until a new link is made or some other attempt to wake the beast is made

[*]​​The extraterrestrial venom of the Hydrastaff eats through the Alpha's exoskeleton
[*]Bonded Priest has ability to kill their Hound from any distance, causing the Hound's body to freeze in whatever position its in and turn to stone
[*]Though able to take bolts of Force Lightning, Electric Judgment does work and is more effective than on other organics
[*]Male Zeltron pheromones excite Alpha Hounds and cause them to go mad
Distinctions:
  • Common Hounds are always masked.
  • Alpha: An Alpha is the leader of "Pack" of Hounds, usually no more than four. They are larger and often have much stronger mutations than their common counterpart such as tails, horns, wings, etc. that make them look less human. They often have longer hair and sport distinctive markings on their bodies.
  • Common Hound: A Common Hound stands around the height of an average Vahla or Vahla hybrid. They keep most of their features that they had before their death and/or transformation. There is nothing outstanding about Common Hounds. They look and seem to act much in the way one would expect a loyal Sith Knight would.
  • Alphas usually sport a white exoskeleton
  • Very pale skin
  • ​"Soulless" eyes, vacant and or distant looking
Average Lifespan: 150 Years
Races:
Estimated Population: Several Dozen One of which is an Alpha Hound
Diet: Organic Plant or Animal matter, especially if linked to the Force
Communication:
Hounds of Vahl communicate through their bond with their Priest or Priestess on a very complex level. Body language on the part of the Hound is understood as clearly as spoken words. To other Hounds communication is done through a complex mental link, not unlike Force Meld. Grunts, growls, howls, and roars are also very easily understood ways to communicate with non bonded individuals. Some Alpha Hounds have been shown to utilize telepathy when the need for words has come about.
Culture:
Little more than humanoid hunting beasts they often travel in packs with an alpha leading the group. Their entire lives are dictated by near direct orders from their bonded priest or priestess and little else. Because most of them resemble their base species more or less they are usually given free reign of their surroundings. Not at all inquisitive they do not wonder aimlessly and would rather sit in a temple and pray or worship Vahl than read volumes in a library.
Technology level:
Their technology level is highly dependent on their race. While Pack Hounds generally undergo the least amount of change when they are created and can utilize a variety of standard technological tools and weapons based on their orders, Alphas may sometimes find this difficult due to their more drastic changes.
General behavior:
In general, if they are not bound by their priest to complete some task they are very protective of their priest or priestess. Their first duty is to guard them with their lives. They are also wild animals loyal to Vahl and generally very aggressive to any that would speak heresy or could be a threat to any Vahl. Seemingly grumpy and passive they are very calm and collected despite their primitive, beast like mannerisms.
History:
Hounds of Vahl have been part of the Ember of Vahl since Darth Isolda's rise to power within the cult. Utilized in their early days to strike fear and wrest control of small holds away from non-believers they play a certain status role. While the six priests and priestesses of Vahl all have packs of their own, only the High Priest may take an Alpha Hound which oversees all other Hounds. There can also only be one Alpha Hound at a time. Chosen for their strength and devotion to Vahl, priests groom their chosen through trials of devotion and sometimes, manipulation. Often Hounds are used to train apprentices and acolytes as well.
Notable Player-Characters: The Hound
Intent:
To create a Sithspawn hunter for [member="Darth Isolda"] as well as move Turin Val Kur's story forward

Dev Thread:
Nothing Can Be Explained: Isolda makes note of Turin Val Kur's potential {Short-Private-3 Posts}
Burn the Witch: Turin falls to the corruption of Isolda{Duel-27 Posts}
Keeper and the Hound: Turin Val Kur swears loyalty to Isolda and the Goddess Vahl. Isolda gives him title of Hound {Private-24 Posts}
Rage is a Hell of an Anesthetic: An example of the ritual used to create a Hound of Vahl, specifically an Alpha Hound. Also thread where Turin Val Kur is used as the base for Darth Isolda's Alpha Hound {Short-Private-10 Posts}
First Hunt: An Alpha Hound is observed to be wounded by a Sith sword during an Apostate hunt {10 posts}

[Note: These cannot be killed for their hides or shells etc. They wither into ashes at death]

[Note: Priests and Priestess outside of Darth Isolda are all NPCs To my knowledge none of them participate in invasions or Dominons and are their for lore purposes only. If they ever do become PCs or are used in threads with their Alpha Hound it should require its own submission as Alpha (the Six of them) There is at current only one PC priest (Darth Isolda) and one PC Hound (Turin Val Kur) In summation this sub is for the Alpha Hound of Turin Val Kur]

[Note: Any Alpha Hound created after this initial species creation that deviates from these standard strengths and weaknesses or abilities should require five extra posts in development]

Interesting concept, but it needs some work. The short of the long is this: they are way too OP with not enough development to support why they should be so strong.

Alchemized Body: Most Hounds will be able to shrug off a blaster bolt or two. Alphas however have been shown to be able to shrug off blaster bolts entirely and have been able to take sustained blows from Force lightning and been observed to withstand sustained contact with lightsabers for no more than three seconds. Their skeletons have been reinforced through the alchemy that created them.
Alchemized how? What has occurred to the skin and bone structure of the Alpha body to make it so impenetrable? Are they made of terentatek hide now? Building armor and weapons of this caliber takes a minimum of twenty solid posts, so why should I pass this for every Alpha created with a minimal 10 post thread?

Solid projectiles made of beskar and beskar alloys cut through them like they would a normal human.
A weakness against one of the rarest metals in the galaxy is not going to fly. It can hardly be considered a weakness at all with the very small likelihood of them ever encountering such things.

Overall I'm seeing a lot of things here that makes these uber sithspawn super cool, but very unbalanced. The strengths don't have the Dev to back them up: you have a very minimal 10 post dev thread with very little detail and a lot of GIF filler. It's not enough.

I would suggest toning down the strengths, especially the alchemized body portion.

Going to need you to add at least two more solid weaknesses.

[member="The Hound"]

The Hound

T
[member="Quietus"]

• I clarified a little more on bone structure and lightsaber resistance.
  • Added lightsaber caveat
  • Added instakill weakness
  • Added Notes at bottom
    Any other PC/NPC Alpha Hounds made require their own submission
  • Cannot be used to make armor

[*]Added that this is mostly for lore outside of Val Kur and Isolda

Alright - I understand you're doing this for story, but you have to look at this from my point of view, too, and here is what I see:

I'm turning my Dark Jedi Master into a Sithspawn.
My character now not only has control over all the Dark Jedi Master powers it knew in life before hand, but is now also:

- Covered in spikes, has horns, has probably no moral standing since it's controlled by a crazy Sith Witch
- Resistant to blaster bolts (potentially completely)
- Resistant to lightsabers
- Resistant to pretty much every weapon that isn't rare or super-rare already and require dev threads to even use
- Has no fear of anything and can pretty much ignore pain and major wounds
- Has bones that are super tough and don't break unless you basically drop a house on them (but only if they don't have help with the Force, and how often is this actually going to happen?)
- Oh, but you can insta-kill it with a Master-level Force power that's super hard to learn, super hard to use, and very very few people actually legit know and employ IC.

Are you catching my point here?

It's still too powerful. You've only added one substantial weakness when I asked for a minimum of two (more would be ideal), which is comparable in worth to the weakness to Beskar due to the rarity of use of Shatterpoint. The lightsaber caveat is good, but doesn't count for much considering they are already lightsaber resistant.

Keep brainstorming.

[member="The Hound"]

The Hound

T
[member="Quietus"]

-Eradicated use of Force powers known in life
-Instead gave Five Powers they are able to use
-Eradicated Bone strength

Also a question, what do you mean the lightsaber caveat doesn't amount to much? It removes the lightsaber resistance for the most part.

On the other side, do you have suggestions that would make Alphas not simple to kill considering they can't utilize any sort of technology outside of primitive weapons or the Force considering what it is being made to do but give it legitimate weaknesses

Again, this is for a PC not an unlimited NPC spamming force.

EDIT: Threads leading up to final ten post dev thread added to show that this wasn't a spur of the moment submissino

The Hound

T
[member="Quietus"]
Also added three more weakness, clarified on the lightsaber bit in the weaknesses as well.

Ok - after consorting with my fellow judges and talking to a few admins, here are the things that need to be looked at.

Weaknesses:
  • Fearless: Because of their devotion to their masters and their cause they will rush headlong into battle regardless of how hopeless or how outnumbered they are.
  • Solid projectiles made of beskar and beskar alloys cut through them like they would a normal human.
  • Sith Swords and Force Imbued weapons follow suit
  • They can be directly controlled by their priest or priestess, lowering their effectiveness in battle when this is done
  • Shatterpoint destroys entire exoskeleton, killing the Alpha Hound instantly
  • Inability to swim
  • Due to the powerful ties to the Dark Side they have, they are easily detectable in the Force even from miles away, in the case of Alpha hounds
  • Lightsabers set even the slightest bit higher on its power setting will burn straight through an Alpha's exoskeleton
Fearlessness is not considered a weakness, especially not in this case, wherein it would be more considered a strength to these creatures. So let's get that moved to Strengths.

These weaknesses are still up for questioning considering the rarity of the items/weapons/powers in question. I am willing to approve of them, but I will need to see more Dev. The extra threads you have provided are a nice read and good dev, for Turin himself. They are not, however, actual dev on the creature itself, but merely provide backstory as to why Turin has become one. I would like to see a Dev thread done that displays Turin's new body in action - pit him against some NPCs, put him in training exercises, whatever you need to do to show him taking damage, the effectiveness of his strengths and powers, and how the control of his Priestess over him works.

I would also recommend looking into adding weaknesses against Lightside powers/techniques. Most all Sithspawn have some major weaknesses against the Lightside considering they were crafted by the opposite. Other things to consider for weaknesses would be chemicals that could eat through the exoskeleton, things that could cut off the link to their Priest(ess) such as Sever Force, Ysalamir, or any sort of Force nullification things.

[member="The Hound"]

The Hound

T
[member="Quietus"]

Quietus said:
Fearlessness is not considered a weakness, especially not in this case, wherein it would be more considered a strength to these creatures. So let's get that moved to Strengths.
-As instructed Removed

Quietus said:
These weaknesses are still up for questioning considering the rarity of the items/weapons/powers in question.
-While I understand that these are "Rare" powers and items, considering who the One Sith is fighting (Mandalorians on occasion, Fringe on occasion, and the Jedi Order) weaknesses are still weaknesses. I'll do more dev as suggested with the body in use against NPCs, but also consider this is not a thing that Padawan(s) or Knight(s) should be fighting alone anyways and is meant to be pit against Masters of the Force, many of which on this board own either some sort of alchemized sword, Force imbued weapon, know that their lightsabers have more than one power setting, or have the skill in Force Sense to either utilize Shatterpoint or at least "Get a lucky shot".

Quietus said:
Priest(ess) such as Sever Force, Ysalamir, or any sort of Force nullification things.
I'll add them, but seeing as this is a Force using creature, I didn't see the need to put them in with these options being normal ways to nullify the Force

Quietus said:
ost all Sithspawn have some major weaknesses against the Lightside considering they were crafted by the opposite.
The powers in this category are also very rare (Force Light etc.) why would this weakness be any different than shatterpoint? But again, added.

-Also added Hydrastaff venom weakness
-Added Priest kill
-Added Electric Judgment weakness

The Hound

T
Also, I changed the wording from Sith Sword to alchemical blade as these, though basically the same as Sith Swords are both mass and minorly produced by AEL

Here and Here

This is looking better now. Let me know when you have more dev completed. I'm looking for at the very least ten quality posts from you expanding on the things I mentioned above.

[member="The Hound"]

Better. I'm willing to approve it on these terms:

Any other created PC Hounds (Alpha or Common) will require their own sub to the Codex, with DEV threads to show for their creation and their abilities.

NPC use of any Hounds should be done with tact and care. Reports against them could result in re-examination of this sub.

Now I pass this on to [member="Valiens Nantaris"] and his own judgement.

Approved pending secondary.

[member="The Hound"]
I'm sorry, but I cannot accept this without either very substantial changes or a proper dev thread.

Of the dev threads listed only the last and second last have any relevance to this submission, which is 20 posts. For something which is extremely resistant to anything which isn't: Force Light, Beskar, Shatterpoint or Electric Judgement (which 99% of enemies do not have), I don't think this is right. The weaknesses are all very situational, but the strengths are broad based.

So what we're going to do is give you the chance to tone this down considerably OR give me a better and bigger dev thread. I'm thinking, at this current level, another 50-75 posts.
Or tone things down. The regular hounds are just about right, but the alphas are completely overdone.

Please let me know your thoughts as I'm happy to work with you here.

[member="The Hound"]
Let it be noted here for the record that the only Alpha allowed is your player character. Further alphas will need dev threads and a submission.

So with that in mind, change your estimate population accordingly and we should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom