Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History Unknown

Keren, Naboo

Marcello's glacier-blue gaze danced over the horizon of Naboo as he disembarked his personal starfighter. Drawing his brown cloak a little tighter against his body, the Jedi Master stood motionless for a few moments, inhaling the atmosphere of his home planet deeply. It had been more than fifteen years now since he so much as stepped foot on the surface of Naboo. It had been twenty-five years since he'd visited Keren and his family home. The death of Marcello's parents had struck a chord with him, but he hadn't lingered long after the funeral.

Following the reading of the Will, the young Jedi had sold the home to settle debts. There was a safety deposit box as well, but Marcello figured if there was anything in it of importance, he would have heard of its existence prior to the readiing of some will. He supposed that he had [member="Kiskla Grayson"] to thank for him finally relenting into viewing the contents and returning home.

While his family was now the woman that held his affection, the Jedi Master could not deny a simple reality. His own background and history would one day be important to more than just him. He only wished that his parents had still been alive when he finally came to the realization. They no doubt would have liked the Kiffar female a great deal.

Leaving R8 to tend to the spacecraft, Marcello stepped forward towards the local banking facility.

Tucking strands of long blonde hair behind his ear, Marcello casually slipped inside the interior of the modest-sized bank. Approaching the service desk just beyond the entrance, the Rogue Master managed a thin smile. "Good Morning. I'm here to check a safety deposit box that was left to me, but it's my first time doing so." Reaching into his pocket, Marcello produced a key. "Box 9."

The woman at the desk smiled pleasantly though she did arch a curious brow when she heard the number. "Box 9? Wow...people don't usually come to access the top 10 in person. One moment please..."

Marcello...didn't have much of a need to ask about the woman's statement. He could connect the dots easy enough...lower number, older box. It was actually a pretty terrible system, and he was fairly certain boxes were assigned more at random these days. Why his parents would have one of the first safety deposit boxes on Keren didn't make a whole lot of sense...unless it'd been passed down for several generations.

"I just need your access code."

Feth... "Access code?"

The woman lifted her eyes from her terminal with a blank expression. "Yes. Four digit alphanumeric?"

Marcello was silent for a few brief moments before the cogs in his memory had turned sufficiently to warm up. "Maybe... M-M-1-3?"

The woman's pleasant smile quickly returned. "Yep!" Handing the key back to Marcello, the woman pointed down a side corridor. "We've actually updated security requirements since the box was last accessed. Use your code and key at the first door down the corridor. At the second door, it will take a read of your fingertips, enter your code again and your fingerprints will be coded to the code. If you choose to grant access to someone else at some point, you'll need to bring them to get coded in. In the event of an untimely death, you can register a particular person to be granted access. You can do that at the terminal as well."

Accepting the key, Marcello's glacier-blue gaze tracked in the direction the woman had indicated. "Um. Alright, thanks." That was kind of a morose way to conclude their interactions.

After a few more minutes and following the procedures the woman had outlined, Marcello entered into a room containing several safety deposit boxes. He retrieved the one belonging to him and retreated to one of the private viewing rooms. Setting the definitively old looking box on the table, Marcello forced the lid open to find it full of...documents? Taking a seat, the Rogue began sifting through the information. There were some typical things, family pictures, a couple bank account ownership forms (weird), multiple...deeds (weirder), and a rather lengthy family tree ornately printed on some kind of fancy paper. It was for his mother's side...he'd never even met any relatives of his father or mother.

As Marcello briefly reviewed the many generations indicated, his mouth fell open. What the...

Entire minutes passed as Marcello merely stared at the documents. Apparently, his mother and father had kept a great deal hidden from him. The document he was reading indicated that his mother had been born into nobility...a descendant of House Veruna. Marcello knew the name but only vaguely. The first King of Naboo had been of House Veruna. According to the documents before him, House Veruna eventually became known as House Erie when one of the Sons of Veruna could only produce female heirs and the eldest married a noble from offworld.

Centuries later, the name changed once more to House Valoria. However, when the only son of the Patriarch slaughtered his parents and close cousins on a murderous rampage, the House became all but defunct. The son eventually died in custody, but he'd fathered a child by a...victim of his savage crimes. Apparently during his internment he'd reached out, attempting to make amends and do what he could to provide for the child by way of bequeathing his entire fortune. Centuries later would bring them to the point they were in, with the knowledge of their line only being discreetly passed from generation to generation. Given the history of the family, none ever elected to release the information publicly, and it was only passed on at the death of the eldest members.

"What am I even supposed..." Marcello obviously held no loyalty to any noble families, and it wasn't as if he had a need to clear his mother's name. However, he saw no reason to keep any access to whatever lingering fortunes still existed from his ancestors. Marcello had served Naboo...maybe not in the most distinct manner, but he had served. Now, he served the galaxy at large. However, the way he saw it, someone in his family still owed a debt to the people of Naboo.

Marcello returned everything except the ancestral documents and any other related forms. Within ten minutes, he had completed the necessary security procedures for re-coding access and departed the bank. When he returned to his vessel, he climbed into the pilot seat and activated his holocom. Succinctly, he recorded a message for the Naboo Governor.

Governor,

I am not sure whether or not you remember me. My name is Marcello Matteo, a former Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Security Force and current member of the New Jedi Order of the Galactic Alliance. I have recently uncovered some information regarding the...previously unknown fate of House Veruna. I thought perhaps yourself and Her Majesty might wish to take custody of the information for the benefit of Naboo's historical collections. I'm currently on world, and I am happy to report for an audience at your convenience.

Sincerely,

M. Matteo

Once he'd sent the message, the Rogue Jedi prepared his N-1T for an immediate departure to Theed.

[member="Andromeda Versai"]

The trip to Theed was brief and pleasant. He'd almost forgotten how beautiful the landscape of his homeworld truly was. Sunlight seemed to reflect off the lush grass of the plains. Banking casually over the canopy of sprawling forests, sending all manner of wildlife scurrying in a variety of directions, the Rogue Jedi managed a thin smile. As the spacecraft leveled out, he could see the majestic and iconic Theed Waterfall that cascaded down the rear of the Royal Palace.

Keying his communicator, Marcello delivered his RSF identifier in order to obtain clearance to the Royal Spaceport directly, specifically into the RSF section. It took several minutes to retrieve a response, he hadn't utilized the identifier in quite some time. The Jedi Master only knew it was active because he'd received a brief communication to the effect a few years ago - enigmatically stating it would remain active until such a time as the Queen saw fit to rescind the authorization. That was under the previous Queen, however.

After approximately five minutes of lazily circling high above the city so as not to disturb the tranquil streets of Theed, Marcello was directed to the all-too-familiar outer marker which would bring him in just along the edge of a cliff towards the spaceport. It never ceased to amaze him just how far his people would go to keep from allowing the obtrusive noise of arriving and departing spacecraft from having an effect on the city.

Following landing, Marcello exited the vessel after thanking the uniformed RSF ground crews that immediately went into action to service the vessel. In that precise moment, he began to wish that he'd perhaps worn something more than just extremely casual clothing. Exhaling softly, he moved with purpose towards the Governor's officer.

----------
Ninety Minutes Later

Marcello sat rigidly in a rather comfortable leather seat in an exquisitely-appointed waiting area just outside of the Queen's office. His meeting with the Governor had gone well enough. In all honesty, he'd counted on having to walk the elder man through the entire revelation process slowly. Following that, the Governor had made several calls to various government departments attempting to confirm certain claims in the information. Finally, he'd ordered the Vital Records Department to bring up all of the information on the lineage of House Veruna.

No doubt...Marcello's lack of desire to officially take steps to re-instate the Veruna Estate went a long way towards keeping the Governor's stress level down. However, the final decision would rest with the Queen. After all, she was charged with doing what was best for the people of Naboo, and she may very well wish to have House Veruna returned to its former glory.

Marcello preferred it House Veruna's assets to simply be liquidated and disseminated to various organizations as he saw fit. He, quite honestly, neither needed nor wanted his name publicly mentioned. However, he was well aware that it would inevitably be recorded as the ruling Lord of House Veruna. He supposed he would merely have to content himself with House Veruna being relegated to that of a Minor Noble House.

Soleil Ishtar

S
A moment later, one of the guardsmen would approach [member="Marcello Matteo"].

"The Queen is ready to meet for your appointment, my lord." he told Marcello, encouraging him to follow. The trip to the main audience chamber wouldn't be long. The large ornate, double doors opening for the duo to allow them into the chamber. Upon the far end, there sat the Queen of Naboo, Andromeda Versai.

Ornate in dress as ever, one would not be surprised at her youthfulness. She had barely reached her sixteenth birthday, a bit older than typical Queens of Naboo. However, there was a brilliance in her violet eyes that said she was aware of her position and her responsibility.

"I apologize for the delay," odd to hear a queen apologize to a guest. "I thank you for your patience."

Her voice was faint, no more than a girl's. There was a slight paleness to her skin, but that could be attributed to the white paint and the twin spots of fuchsia that decorated her cheeks and smeared a line over her lower lip.

Marcello couldn't much hide his confusion about being referred to as 'my lord'. Coming to his feet, the spacer offered a slight incline of his head by way of thanks and assent.

When they entered the main audience chamber, the Rogue Master showed little real sign of shock and awe. After all, he had lived a great deal of his life among the many architectural and natural beauties of Naboo. Had he ever really had a purpose within the actual reception hall of the Queen? No, he hadn't. The closest he'd come was some ceremonial function or another in one of the many diplomatic reception rooms.

The moment he was greeted with the sight of the Queen, Marcello dropped to a knee and lowered his head. "Your Majesty." Raising his head after the Queen addressed him, Marcello allowed his icy-blue gaze to linger over her painted facial features. "You have no need to apologize to me, Your Majesty. To rush through life is to miss the very point of living."

No smile lingered on Marcello's lips, but it was more out of formal habit than anything. "I will endeavor not to waste your time. I do imagine the Governor has at least given you a bit of background as for my request of an audience?" He wondered how often it was that a noble sought an audience with the Queen to ask her to diminish their power and authority to such a point that it barely existed. Probably...never.

Soleil Ishtar

S
[member="Marcello Matteo"]

The Queen gave a small nod of her head.

"I received a forward of the message sent to the Governor." those violet eyes would drift back to the Jedi Master. "The fate of House Veruna, correct?"

The first King of Naboo had been of House Veruna. House Veruna eventually became known as House Erie when one of the Sons of Veruna could only produce female heirs and the eldest married a noble from offworld. Centuries later, the name changed once more to House Valoria.

"It is mentioned the possibility of the Royal House taking custody of the information for the benefit of Naboo's historical collections?"

A slight frown drew over her colorfully painted brow.

"What do you know of House Veruna, Lieutenant Commander?"

Marcello exhaled slightly heavily. So the Governor had forwarded his message, but he'd not given the Queen an update on their rather lengthy conversation thereafter. No matter, Marcello was happy to fill in the blanks for the Queen in the Governor's stead. The last question she asked, however, was an intriguing one to answer. "Before today, I knew only the standard secondary education of the Noble House Veruna. Now though..."

Reaching into his pocket, Marcello withdrew a datapad where he'd kept a copy of the information and documents that, officially, were now in the hands of the Governor. "If I may?" Extending the datapad, Marcello used a mild manipulation of the Force to levitate the device to Her Majesty. "Well now I know simply the truth, no more, no less. The Veruna line did continue past the days of Valoria. Following what most of the populace knows, a previously disowned member of the House fell in love and reproduced. This continued for several generations...with the true knowledge of the bloodline being hidden from the next generation until the previous had died off completely. The 184th generation stands before you now."

Marcello fell silent only long enough to offer an ironic chuckle. Disgraced fighter pilot, to redeemed Jedi, to Patriarch of a Major Noble House. "And, yes, he is offering all of the information on the family's true history to the Royal House. Additionally, sixty percent of the fortune that has been collecting considerable interest in several hidden, smaller accounts throughout the galaxy. Another twenty percent will go to a charity of my choosing...the remaining twenty to be held in a trust for dispersal by my own family." Not that he...had much of one at the moment, and it wasn't as if [member="Kiskla Grayson"] required anything like that from him. "I also forfeit the position of House Veruna as a Major Noble House and associated rights. I am not one for power grabs or political influence. My place is out there..." Marcello motioned somewhat lazily with his right hand. "Among the stars...fighting for the heart and soul of this galaxy and balance of the Force."

Soleil Ishtar

S
That was quite the amount of information to take in. Andromeda's visage would remain cordial, absorbing and processing through it. The 184th generation of House Veruna. There was a slight jingle at the incline of the Queen's head, the crystals of her headdress swaying. The teenager took a deep breath, then gave a nod.

"All that you requests shall be adhered to." she began, only to pause and then ask.

"What shall happen to House Verona with your forfeit?" if there are heirs, any child would be able to make a claim for it. It was no matter to her, Naboo had long since elected their Queens; she may not live long enough to end her tenure and the Techno Union may hold sway over Naboo -- but she had a belief that it would soon change. The tradition of democracy would prevail.

Marcello mostly shrugged in response to [member="Andromeda Versai"]. "The simple reality is that House Veruna cannot hope to exist as a Major Noble House without a land title. I am comfortable with it existing as a Minor Noble House." Marcello was fairly certain he'd already made the statement. House Veruna wasn't disappearing, it was merely returning in a much reduced role than previously. The Rogue Jedi Master believed it was a fair enough concession to the people of Naboo.

There would be...no need to make a claim to anything. If he had children, they would inherit House Veruna as Lord or Lady upon his death. "I also thank you for your time and acceptance. Is there anything I can do for you?"

Soleil Ishtar

S
Anything I can do for you?

There was much. She desired the freedom of her people. To have their own sovereignty. Would [member="Marcello Matteo"] be able to offer aide? Perhaps, he will be able to send a message? There was word about a Galactic Alliance... The former Protectorate...

A small smile.

"For such a humble donation to the Royal Museum, allow me to grant you a gift in turn." she'd state. This was going to be more than just a mere gift.

"Please allow me the time to prepare it. As a remembrance of House Veruna."

Marcello arched a curious eyebrow for but a brief moment as he gazed at the teenage [member="Andromeda Versai"]. There were times he wondered if the entire galaxy didn't do itself a disservice by forcing such young individuals into lofty positions of leadership and responsibility. They all, of course, knew how the Naboo had come to prefer youthful leadership. The hippies that Marcello grew up with genuinely believed the purity of a child's spirit made them well-suited to leadership.

Perhaps once upon a time...when the galaxy was not inexplicapably war torn. Now? Now Marcello just saw his people continuously forcing ill-equipped children into roles among a galaxy they couldn't hope to understand in their brevity of years. What's worse? They were always surrounded by old politicians and nobles clinging to their positions of power with the simple knowledge that they were the constant, the steady base. Not exactly a well-known reality that the Governor could remain in office nigh on indefinitely.

As the current had.

Eventually, the Rogue Jedi pushed aside his thoughts and offered a pleasant smile to the Queen. His smile, however, contrasted slightly with his retort. "With all due respect, Your Majesty, I need not any sort of momento for House Veruna or any of its members." Truth be told, having the first King be from his House was good enough for history. "It's a new era for House Veruna, and I prefer to start it with the quality of service and sacrifice. You've done enough in entertaining this meeting."

Soleil Ishtar

S

There was a time and a place.

Andromeda gave [member="Marcello Matteo"] a tight lipped smile, cordial and pleasant and for any Techno Union holo-camera, would appear perfectly ordinary.

“As you wish.” She’d give a slight incline of her head, the precious gems jingling slightly with the movement, almost quivering like the flutter of a hummingbird’s heart.

“I thank you for your donation to the Aldaraan Royal Museum. I shall ensure that all items are treated and displayed with care.”

Marcello offered the Queen a polite bow. "Your Majesty, it has been a honor. I left information for contacting me on my private communicator with the Governor. You and Naboo have my service whenever you should need."

Clasping his hand behind his back, the Rogue Jedi Master waited patiently to be dismissed. Once he had been, Marcello departed the Throne Room and returned to his waiting vessel. In a matter of minutes, his modified N-1T was rocketing towards the heavens.

KIFFEX

Blonde hairs twisted against her cheeks and shoulders as she stood to the edge of the landing pads. The heir to Kiffex's pearl gaze was locked on the custom Nabooian fighter as it descended. She'd received the alert as soon as the transmission to enter the atmosphere had been communicated. Elated at the return, she scrambled to meet him; though looked calm now-- despite the squint which pulled her attractive features tightly together.

Marcello rarely went to Naboo. And on family matters? She had no context. [member="Marcello Matteo"] didn't have a family anymore. Both his parents had died before she'd had the chance to make an impression. Therefore, her curiosity burned like a warming ember, anxious for the Jedi Master to step out from the star fighter and into her embrace.

"R9 all you buddy!" As Marcello depressed the switch to open the canopy before the post-flight checklist had even initiated, a series of irritated beeps and whistles could be heard from the faithful astromech. There wasn't really a purpose behind R9's protest other than to lodge a protest at the emotion-driven actions of organics.

By the time the canopy had opened, Marcello had disconnected the avionics chord and removed his flight helmet. Setting it on top of the cockpit dash in front of him, the Rogue Jedi Master immediately jumped down to the concrete deck of the landing pad. Adjusting his brown leather flight jacket slightly, he smiled thinly at the figure of [member="Kiskla Grayson"].

giphy.gif

A few long, purposeful strides later, and he had drawn her firmly into his own grasp, kissing her as passionately on the lips as ever. As was the cruel fate of reality, their tender lips were eventually forced to part, though Marcello's face lingered closed enough to feel the warmth of her breath against him. "Hey, Princess."

It was a strange parallel, their worlds. Both were warriors of The Force, slaves to the people and emotionless to the faces of many. But each other -- that's where everything became untangles. Splayed out in full, the honesty shared between two Jedi was unfathomable to those who only saw their fighting prowess.

tumblr_nbc6za39eQ1soqmsro1_500.gif

"Mmm." Kiskla vibrated, both in response to the kiss and the teasing. "I missed you." She admitted. Usually she had the distraction of teaching Padawans, lending herself to this battle and the next. Whatever it is. Without all that, and just governmental decisions to make, political processes, she ached for the excitement [member="Marcello Matteo"] brought.

"Did you find what you were looking for over there?"

The smile remained plastered on Marcello's face as he gazed at [member="Kiskla Grayson"]. "I missed you too...more than I could possibly explain." The Rogue Master's expression faltered in that moment, and it all but dissipated when Kiskla inquired as to the results of his journey home. For a moment, Marcello inhaled sharply and opened his mouth to reply...but no words found air.

tumblr_nueyw5wv541r5ynioo1_r1_540.gif

It wasn't that the son of Naboo was speechless...he just wasn't sure how to explain the depth of everything he had discovered. "A great deal more..." Slipping his arm around Kiskla's waist, he walked her away from the datapad as he casually began recounting his entire time on Naboo. Rather than retire immediately inside, the spacer elected to remain out in the open environment. It was always nice to stretch his legs after a long hyperspace flight anyways.

His inaugural reaction was mildly alarming. There was a story tucked behind that silence, and although Kiskla had always been more of a talker than a lister, love made a person do strange things.

She obliged to his direction, not remorseful to leave the sandy space port behind as soft steps carried herself and [member="Marcello Matteo"] into the more open areas of Kiffex. Although the sun above was hot, the individuals belonging to the Guardians and the royal family were commissioned to wear black. Not for masochism of any stretch - but to prevent the visibility of any harm that could come to the warriors. Black concealed blood far more than any other colour. Although Kiskla was not in any warrior state right now, merely strolling with the Khareeji, her attire was as onyx as her armour would be.

Not one to mince his words, Marcello's delivery of the tale was to-the-point yet incredibly impactful. To think - they were both royalty in some form or another -- or at least had close ties to it all. Marcello wasn't the type to get big-headed about anything, if swayed at all by this information. "How does this make you feel?" she asked slowly, still wondering how it impacted her emotions. He'd swiftly dealt with it, making the executive decision to remain as detached from Naboo was possible.

[member="Kiskla Grayson"]

That was the question that had drifted through Marcello's own mind during his return trip from Naboo. Naturally, when he'd made the decision, it was the result of a series of very quick, analytical thoughts about the situation. Ever the prudent tactician, he hadn't questioned his decision once made. Long ago, the Naboo native learned that second-guessing was all too often the precursor to ultimate failure. This did not, however, mean that an individual could not be prepared to alter a set plan as exigent factors came to fruition.

This was different though... He made decisions that effected both his life and the lives of others on a daily basis. It just...seemed different now. He resolved himself in the knowledge that if his parents or any of his ancestors had wanted the family returned to the limelight, they wouldn't have kept it a guarded secret. Being a member of House Veruna was in no way a part of the Jedi's known history, and it certainly had not shaped who he was. In fact, Marcello was every bit the man that life circumstances had forced him to be. There was never the benefit of a silver spoon in his mouth.

"Honestly? I don't know. The realization was sobering...but only for a moment." Exhaling softly, Marcello turned his ice-blue gaze to the love of his life with an easy smile. "The aristocracy on Naboo is no different than those of so many other worlds, despite the galactic reputation of our planet as a place of serenity and beauty. The noble families hail from a different era...one of considerable violence and animosity among native populations."

In that moment, Marcello's smile faltered. "Traditions breed egos, and I've not the desire to associate my name completely with the likes of them. As much as I love Naboo, I am of more use to it and the rest of the galaxy right where I am. The majority of the assets that I ceded to the government are little more than a shallow reparation for all that my apparent family has done in the past."

As they turned down a side street and into the shade, Marcello shrugged his shoulders casually. "Still. I cannot change the blood that courses through my veins. In fact...I can only hope to encourage a change among the rest of the nobility. More accurately...I owe my own personal debt to Naboo and its people, and I will do what I can to aid the dying Queen in the final months of her reign."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom