Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Council - Policy Proposal - Allied Status

[member="Kian Karr"] | [member="Corvus Raaf"] | [member="Phylis Alince"] | [member="Kana Truden"]

"It is not my intention to turn the High Council into the Senate," Korr said to the assembled councillors, "but it has come to my attention that some standardization would not be out of place."

He gestured to the hologram projector in the center of the room with an open hand and hit several buttons on his chair arm, bringing up the document he'd prepared.

"There are some in the galaxy who would aid us, but who believe that joining the Order is the only way to do so. This deters them. Our current rigidity prevents us from befriending others, or having allies in the fight against the Sith. I believe this to be needless. Thus, here is my proposal."

The floating text read:

The Jedi Order recognizes in capacity as Co-Belligerents any Dark Sider, Grey Jedi, or neutral party that meets and adheres to the following requirements.

• No Member of the Sith Order will be accepted.
  • No individual guilty of genocide, mass murder, or other heinous war crimes will be accepted.
  • Co-Belligerents will adhere to the Republic's Code of Conduct during the engagement.
  • Co-Belligerents will refrain from killing or maiming the defenseless. This applies but is not limited to civilians and enemy combatants younger than the age of 14.
  • Co-Belligerents will refrain from use of weapons of mass destruction, including but not limited to orbital bombardment.

“Combat the Dark Side in all of its forms, both within and without, but fight with mercy and passion, not with anger or rage.” It was said quietly, almost apologetically. Corvus looked up, realising she’d spoken out loud.

“Does anyone remember those words?”

“But what you say makes a lot of sense. Of course we wish to end the Sith’s oppressive regime, and we will do whatever is within our power and remains within both the Jedi Code and the Order’s Code of Conduct.”

“Where my brain is slower than both of yours,” she indicated Ryan and Phylis, “Is unravelling the difference between a Sith and a Dark Jedi? Both use the Dark-side of the Force. What is it that separates them?”

“And one point of order, a Jedi will never kill the defenceless, there is no age limit – so if someone follows the Code, that line would be superfluous.”

“There is also the practicality of fighting alongside Dark Jedi in an Invasion, given certain parameters we are bound by. And furthermore, the Republic regularly grants allied status to Force-users that do not abide by the Code, so this is already in place.”

“But my main thought process comes back to a Code of Conduct that we all signed up to and will be torn up. This I am finding most difficult to reconcile. Currently, to abide by the Code of Conduct, I am obliged to combat Dark Jedi. It’s a huge change to say we are now…co-belligerents. Or does that only count when we're fighting the One Sith?”

[member="Phylis Alince"] | [member="Ryan Korr"] | [member="Kana Truden"] | [member="Kian Karr"]

"The intent is to allow strategic cooperation with those whom with we might otherwise have... philosophical differences."

Korr gave a one shouldered shrug.

"As for the age limit, that is taken from the Republic Armed Forces' code. Not our own. Regardless, though the Republic does grant allied status to other Force Users we, the Jedi, have always been a stumbling block in that process. This proposal would streamline our own policy with that of the Republic. Is it difficult to swallow? Yes, but that is the point.

"Our fighting effectiveness has been reduced through persistent losses and the long grind of attrition. If we're to do battle with world-slayers and murderers, we cannot refuse the aid of thieves and vagabonds. There is a time for judging petty crimes.... but I, for one, find it hard to let them twist in the wind while villains like the Iron Tyrant still stalk the galaxy."

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

"My question remaind unanswered. What is the difference between a Dark Jedi and a Sith? Unless that can be explained to me to my satisfaction, I have to say I cannot support this proposal."

"That is not to say the Republic should be beholden to our views. They can chose whoever they want as allies and we are, sadly in my opinion, forced to fight alongside those who wield the Dark-Side."

"And finally, let us not forget that I do not vote unless we have a tied decision, so - as I have had my say, unless further explanations are forthcoming, it is for the rest of you to vote as appropriate."

[member="Ryan Korr"] | [member="Phylis Alince"] | [member="Kian Karr"]

Kian had been quiet....too quiet....throughout the conversation and decided that now was an appropriate time to join in. As a Jedi Shadow, Kian's area of focus was, afterall, the Sith.

"Dark Jedi and Sith are virtually indistinguishable in the use of the force." Kian said, chiming in. "They both adhere to the dark side and fuel their force use with emotions. It is true that some Sith techniques, such as alchemy, are not practiced typically by Dark Jedi....I don't see why a Dark Jedi could not practice them." Kian said, trying to answer the Grandmaster's question.

"Where the difference really lies is in the philosophy that they follow, or rather the lack of philosophy in the case of Dark Jedi." Kian said shrugging. "While Sith follow a code and historical schools of thought with regards to their practices....Dark Jedi tend to operate however they see fit and with a code they've more or less adopted at their own whim. Dark Jedi also have a tendency not to be very organized." Kian added. Dark Jedi were not typically a focus of the Jedi Shadows, what with all the Sith about in the galaxy at large. They posed less a threat than the Sith did.

"I also wish to say, that while our Code of Conduct dictates we fight the dark side and its wielders....we are also beholden to the Galactic Republic. If the Galactic Republic wishes to have Dark Jedi fighting as a part of their military or as allies, we have one set of rules telling us we should oppose them and another saying we should not." Kian said shaking his head and sighing.

"I am of the opinion that any involvement that Dark Jedi have with the Republic war effort should be handled entirely by the military. No association between the Jedi and Dark Jedi should occur. If they meet on the battlefield on the same side, as members of the Galactic Republic military, Jedi should be willing to work with them in that capacity....but they should not have any presence at the Temples or teaching our students."

[member="Ryan Korr"] - [member="Phylis Alince"] - @Quell - [member="Corvus Raaf"]

The silence was palpable, so Corvus chose to fill it.

"Thanks Kian, I can concur with those sentiments."

"The differences in practical terms don't constitute a sufficient variation to warrant calling them allies in any way, shape or form. In my opinion of course."

"In recent Invasions, my attention has been drawn to Force Users - that fashion themselves as Rogue Jedi - and these do not follow our Code. They attack without provocation, shooting before even identifying that opponent is indeed a foe - yet to the outside world, they are seen as Jedi. The Code is clear on this aspect and it troubles me deeply."

"How do we differentiate ourselves from those that use the Force, often call themselves Jedi, are seen by outsiders to be Jedi, yet do not behave like Jedi?"

[member="Kian Karr"] | [member="Ryan Korr"] | [member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"] [member="Kian Karr"] [member="Ryan Korr"]

One might be tempted to say in an OOC sense that Corvus was, or would be (thread timeline depending), guilty of egregious hypocrisy. After all, her obsession with a Sith Lord was certainly not something usually condoned.

However, Phylis knew nothing of this. Rather, what she knew was Republic defeat, Jedi desertions, the dwindling nature of the Order.
“We are fighting for our very existence, Corvus. At times like this pragmatism is necessary if the option is extermination. I believe that unless we use all the help at our disposal we will continue to suffer defeats, defections and dwindling numbers. Can you tell me, for instance, why our Order is necessarily superior to the others in the galaxy?”
There, she’d said it.

“I mean, we are founded on the Jedi Order which goes back thousands of years, but a venerable tradition does not make an institution. Hmm, look around the Jedi Council Chamber. We have how many Masters left? Five? Six? And with Republic attempts to inveigle themselves into our affairs I can understand why we have lost people. So if we will not accept help from Rogues and other ‘Dark Jedi’ wanting to aid us, we will remain a sandcastle slowly eroded by the tide. We need to do something, because what we are doing now is not working.”

Corvus listened and nodded. "I would be disappointed if anything I said suggested we were in any way superior to any other group of Force Users in the galaxy. Far from it. We are simply an Order."

"One that follows the Code and remains true to the Light-side. That may be what is dissuading Jedi from joining our ranks? But does that mean we should change our principles to ensure we gain numbers? That is a question, not a statement."

"But the true question here is...is it the wish of this Council to ally with those that use the Dark-side? That choose to not follow the Code? That is the debate and as long as we make a decision with our eyes open and knowing of these facts, then the decision will be well-made and binding."

"Allies are not members, and if we are comfortable that we can differentiate between friend and foe - when both are Dark-siders - then there will be truth between our hearts and the Force."

[member="Phylis Alince"] | [member="Kian Karr"] | [member="Ryan Korr"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom