Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Hekler'Kok SSR-1 Sniper/Spotter Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah Corek

Cocked, Locked and a Smoking Barrel
Factory Judge
7207409578_aac2523c0e_b.jpg

Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/64024690@N02/7207409578/sizes/l/
Intent: To create a sniper that can be used for hunting or by a spotter for a sniper
Development Thread:
Manufacturer: Hekler'Kok Defense Industries
Model: HR-1 Hunting Rifle
Affiliation: Independent
Modularity: Yes (Different Scopes,Bigger Magazines,Night Vision,Thermal and Suppressors)
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Duraplast Shell and Durasteel Inners
Description: Designed to be both a Sniper and a Spotter Rifle so the spotter of a sniper team can easily switch between using the scope to call out targets and using the rifle for sniping. The rifle is bolt-action,allowing for better accuracy but due to advances it weapons technology made by HDI,it fires much faster than most bolt action rifles. It can't hold as much ammo as other weapons,but it makes the most of what it has,being able to punch far,hard and accurately out to a kilometer. Due to most armor's being resistant to slugthrowers, Tungsten-Cored rounds and HEIAP (High-Explosive-Incendiary-Armor-Piercing) rounds have become more common place and standard issue for this rifle and most other HDI slugthrowers. Due to that fact that this rifle and most other slugthrowers are more simplistic than that of modern blasters,they are cheaper to produced and sell.
Classification: Bolt-Action Slugthrower
Size: Handheld
Length: 109.7 Centimeters
Weight: 3.1 Kilograms
Ammunition Type: 7.62x51mm
Ammunition Capacity: 5,10 or 15 Rounds Magazines
Effective Range: 1000 Meters

Lord Ghoul

L
This is a dinosaur of the small arms world. This is one of those instances where I will actually encourage you to up the ability. Change the firing mechanism to semi-auto or even burst. In the age of SW there wouldn't be as much recoil from a sniper rifle as you'd see in the real world. But furthermore, most types of troop armor, such as plastoid armor worn by stormtroopers, is resistant to slugthrowers. I have seen a lot of slug submissions from you and I would advise you to start using blasters instead, since they are far more effective in battle.

Make the edit about the firing mechanism and up the mag cap and you're good. I won't approve weapons tech that belongs in the Cretaceous period.

Noah Corek

Cocked, Locked and a Smoking Barrel
Factory Judge
@[member="Mikhail Shorn"]
Okay bro,since I didn't know how to respond to this I consulted a RPJ who I consider a friend and fellow weapons expert for judging some of my former submissions. I'll give you the gist of it.
  1. Burst isn't desirable,because if your trying for accurate long range shots and you squeeze off a burst of 3 or even 2 rounds,its going to hop up and put it off target.
  2. Just because it is in 'the future' and compared to it we are 'along time ago' doesn't mean it would be more accurate,the laws of physics still apply,even when people can hurl boulders with their minds.
  3. A positive about slugthrowers is their cost,where as a blaster might cost say 1000 credits a slugthrower might only cost a fourth of that.
  4. While your concerns about Star Wars class body armor is valid,that could easily be defeated by Armor Piercing Rounds or High Explosive,or even tungsten cored rounds.
If it makes you feel any better I replaced the old image with a futuristic one.

@[member="Noah Corek"]

I'll be taking a second-look at this submission.

Mikhail's concerns about the antiquity of the weapon are valid, but I also believe that there is and always will be a niche role filled by slugthrowers, even bolt-action slughthrowers. These weapons are going to be cheaper than blasters and more readily available on worlds where the manufacturing basis is not up to par. Additionally, because of their relative simplicity, they are more durable and easily maintained. Also, the advantages of bolt-action weapons are quite evident to anyone who's ever dealt with firearms; for example, a semi-automatic weapon will automatically eject the spent shell, which may reveal the shooter's location. Finally, as mentioned previously, burst fire on a sniper rifle negates the whole reason why you'd even have a sniper rifle.

That said, I think there are ways to enhance this design to make it more relevant on the modern battlefield. Because this weapon is not chambered for anti-materiel rounds (typically 50-cal BMG-style rounds), the weight looks good, which is a certain plus. Most large-bore rifles way a significant amount, so this is perfect for the scout-sniper role. However, here are some specific changes you could make:

1) Remove the part about the "slow action of the bolt". Instead, put in some fluff about how modern advances have made manually cycling the round much faster than before. This allows for advances in technology to assist the bolt action without relying on a semi-auto mechanism.

2) Add in some descriptions explaining that tungsten-cored (AP) rounds and even HEIAP (high explosive incendiary/armor piercing) are now considered standard and thus increase the effectiveness of the weapon. You may refer to Wikipedia for an explanation of what HEIAP is.

3) Insert something about the advantage from the ease of manufacture and durability/maintenance over standard blaster weapons.

Please tag me in your reply. Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom