OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: Advanced engine modification system for Mandalorian Forces
- Image Source: Link
- Canon Link: HIMS
- Restricted Missions: None
- Primary Source: None
- Manufacturer: MandalArms
- Model: HMIVS
- Affiliation: Mandalorian Empire, Closed-Market
- Modularity: No
- Production: Mass-Produced
- Material: Durasteel, Agrinium, Circuitry
- Creates an unstable and short-lasting hyperspace bubble that allows a ship exiting hyperspace to retain a significant percentage of lightspeed velocity.
- Allows a ship using this technology to exit hyperspace travelling at extreme sublight velocity
- Ship must exit hyperspace with clear space in front of it or risk catastrophic collision
- Entering a gravity well at such speeds is certain doom
- Takes significant engine power, distance, and time to slow down from such dangerous velocities
- Cannot be used in conjunction with HIMS technology or to penetrate interdiction fields at hyperspeed such as HIMS would allow
- Too large a unit to be installed on fightercraft or miniaturized to allow for use on vessels smaller than a YT-series freighter
When MandalArms R&D began looking at HIMS technology, they soon discovered a way to utilize the technology in a slightly different capacity, rather than sustaining hyperspace travel time, they were able to sustain most of the lightspeed velocity while outside hyperspace, at barely sublight speed. The resultant product was the Hyperspace Momentum and Inertial Velocity Sustainer, or HMVIS.
Though a ship travelling at such speed is going phenomenally fast, it is exposed to significant risk of damage not just from the stresses on a ship's hull and frame travelling well above the rated maximum speed, but also risk of collission and destruction from running into any object while going at ludicrous speed.
The unit itself is constructed of Durasteel, with heavy agrinium shielding around the power systems, to prevent radiation leaking from the HMIVS unit or the Hyperdrive it's attached to.