Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech H.A.R.P.E.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitled_6_by_santobell-dasd648.jpg

Image Source: Untitled.6 by Santobell

Intent: To create a self-contained rail gun variant for use on Ignus Industries ships.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Ignus Industries
Model: Hypervelocity Armor Reinforced Projectile Energy Releaser (H.A.R.P.E.R.)
Affiliation: Ignus Industries produced vessels
Modularity: No
Production: Minor

Material: Neutronium impregnated alusteel, mass driver parts (including magnetic coils), power cells

Classification: Rail Gun
Size: Ship-Mounted, Equivalent to 10 turbolasers.
Length: 16m
Weight: 67,058kg
Ammunition Type: Ferromagnetic Slugs
Ammunition Capacity: 1000 slugs fed from below.
Effective Range: Optimal of 60km, maximum effective range of 120km

Special Features: Dual Launcher mount. Has its own power supply.

Strengths:
  • Dual mounted projectile canon
  • Self-powered

Weaknesses:
  • Eventually runs out of ammo
  • Heavy ammo (takes up space and is heavier than gas used for turbolasers)
  • Requires intensive upkeep of rails

Description: Ignus Industries wanted to be able to provide its clients with options other than just the standard turbolaser. With the expansion in the ship construction market, they have entered a highly competitive playing field. Already having crafted specialized armor, their thoughts turned to both new weapons and new shields. The HARPER is the first to be completed. Crafted of neutronium impregnated alusteel, its outer surface is very hard. With the inclusion of the magnetic coils and an internal power supply that can be recharged from the ships reactor, the gun is capable of firing slugs at range to pound the enemy shields. The dual gun design allows for the capability of near continuous fire as one rail fires, followed by the other, placing the slugs in close proximity and increasing the chances of penetrating the enemies shields.

It has its drawbacks. The ammunition is heavy, limiting the number of rounds that can be carried on the ship at a given time. The rails themselves don't cause friction because of the design, but with the electromagnetic coils being delicate, they often have to have at least minor repairs completed on them after each engagement, putting a ship briefly out of commission after each battle lest the weapons system break completely.

Of note: The unit can be manned by a gunner within the turret when necessary, but is compatible with the VT Throne Command System.

Primary Source: None

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Gir Quee"]
I don't think you can compare a metal slug to a turbolaser really. Takes two different kinds of shields to protect from the two.

Turbolasers are designed to more or less explode the surface they touch, whereas projectiles are typically designed to penetrate and cause internal damage and pressure loss. In this case I stipulated standard slugs, so I'd say it's roughly equivalent to 10 turbolasers, since I think what you're looking for is a way to compare how many should be on a ship. ;)

[member="Darth Ignus"], I would certainly agree that turbolasers and mass drivers deal different types of damage. :)

But you are right, I was looking for rough equivalency. If you'll put that in the submission somewhere, this will be ready for approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom