Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galactic Battle Arena - Interest Check

I originally had thoughts towards taking this to the suggestion section of the site. But I quickly reasoned out that the response I would receive would be something akin to "Go make a faction." Not being a big fan of the middle men/women (love you gais 4realdoe), I'm just gonna cut them out and make this interest check thread before I devote time to this brainchild/blatant ripoff from another site.

Look in Open Thread section. Now look at me. Now look back, now you see topic tags. Dominion, Skirmish, Invasion, Faction...and Duels. Of course, if you have read any of my numerous blogs (I have two :) ), then you know that this will likely pertain to dueling. And you would be right in said assumption. What about dueling, you ask? Well, let me answer your question with...an answer.

Right now, duels just kind of happen in open thread. Sure, they are invite only and that got that fancy tag, but there is really no system to them beyond just 'hey, lets duel...kay, lets do it.' And then people go about their day, some times not even impacted by the duel. Having not impacted either character nor writer, I implore you, what is the point? Well, for starters, dueling is awesome. But besides that, the point is that we are all here to write and to learn. So I have this idea...stay with me...once again, blatant ripoff from another site

The Galactic Battle Arena. A faction where you go and duel someone. Could be your best friend, could be your worse enemy, could be just some chick you heard was super good at dueling and you want to test your mettle (or metal, whatevs). You fight in the duel, in whatever scenario you want, and at the end of the duel, a judge goes through the thread and declares a winner. Doesn't matter who physically won the fight, as they will base it on realism, proper use of powers, flow of writing, dictation of pace, use of environment, etc. Your character died in the duel but it doesn't matter, because it's your choice to incorporate that into the universe. This faction would be separate from IC and would only factor in if you so choose (like if you got that sweet scare over your eye that you always wanted). Think of it as the grey space between IC and OOC. Now, why is this so different then what we currently have:

• You die in the GBA, you don't die in the universe (respawn time: 0): Have you ever dueled in a star destroyer where the air is only held in by the shield, cause the hull has been destroyed, and in the background, you see a star. A star that you are rushing towards. No, never done that? Well, it's awesome. And it can happen, because whether you rush into the star or not, in universe, it doesn't impact you. When a duelist is given the opportunity to fight in a situation with no consequences, true entertainment can be found and people suddenly realize that taking hits isn't such a bad thing. That sort of mentality crosses over into IC and everyone wins. Why yes, yes I do want to fight someone while a Lotek'k crushes the city we are fighting in, throwing a building at us every three posts.
  • Rankings: This would set up a galactic ranking of fighters, that would reset annually, and would allow a display of the top notch fighters.
  • Learning: This is an opportunity to really learn. If you have ever been worried about dueling, cause you don't want to die, suddenly you can do that without such concern. And you can become better. And better is...well...better.
  • Standardized judging: A judging panel would be formed. By who? Seriously, who? I don't know. Every duel would be judged by one of these members, one of you. And in their wisdom, they would post judgement of duel at the end of the thread. What people did that was good, what they need to improve upon, why someone won, the works. We could even have a second chance section, a rejudgement, for those who felt that maybe biased or favoritism affected the judgment. And suddenly, it doesn't matter how OP that force user dude is because technically correct trumps (we can standardize this a bit more if we do it) forcie stuff. As does respect for the other writer.
  • Rules: Any sort of rules you want for each specific duel. Time limit? Sure, make it a week, whatevs. You like canon only, no factory weapons in this duel. No blasters, no pets, no armor. The list can go on and on, and the duelists would get to form their own circumstance or have one provided by the designated judge.
  • No Reason: Why on earth would a jedi fight another jedi to the death? Well, they wouldn't...but in the Galactic Battle Arena, all dreams are possible! Seriously, just go duel for no reason except that some omnipotent force is forcing you too. Or as Thomas hobbes put it: And therefore if any two men desire the same thing, which nevertheless they cannot both enjoy, they become enemies; and in the way to their end (which is principally their own conservation, and sometimes their delectation only) endeavour to destroy or subdue one another.
I want people to be more confident in their technical fighting. I think this is something that could breed confidence and could be a way to establish street cred...yo. We could have sections devoted just to training, we could have just duels, and we could even have semi-annual tournaments (themed even, someone want to claim the Master of Vapaad title? We can tournament that.)

But before I pursue it...I'd like to see if it even gets any interest.

ANNNNNND...CUE LAVA FIGHT!
Mustafar_duel.jpg

THIS COULD BE YOU! JUST LESS WHINEY AT THE END! If you wanna cry at the end, that's fine too. No judgment, except for the judges judgement of your fight...of course.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
So when were you thinking about making the first thread, Your [member="Reverance"]?

And I'm totally not asking this just to use your character's name for a cheap joke, I Hold Ewoks In [member="Reverance"] :p

<.<.... Was totally not going to ask if you could do me a favor if you had the time and judge one of my upcoming duels when it was done... (Totally haven't read your fighting guides...)

But.. Yes! This is something I would love to see! Please. :)
[member="Reverance"]

Nei Laa

Grumpy cat? No no no -- grumpy squid!
[member="Reverance"]

You...You mean Nei can break as many bones and be slammed into the ground as many times as her opponent wants and if she dies it won't matter?! *screams with delight* I have so many people I want to fight :D

Seguidor Oculto de la Verdad
Reverance said:
Standardized judging
Make that Open Standardized Judging, with past rulings being used to make decisions on current or future rulings, that would do. That would do very nicely.

Reverance said:
You like canon only, no factory weapons in this duel
Not bad, not bad at all... Actually its karking genius.

Kezeroth the Malevolent said:
no factory weapons or armor? [member="Reverance"]
Just one of the numerous potential formats that could be available (i.e. Canon duel, armorless duel, no blasters duel, so on and so forth).

Nei Laa said:
[member="Reverance"]

You...You mean Nei can break as many bones and be slammed into the ground as many times as her opponent wants and if she dies it won't matter?! *screams with delight* I have so many people I want to fight :D
And you can do it over and over again :)

Darth Kentarch said:
Make that Open Standardized Judging, with past rulings being used to make decisions on current or future rulings, that would do. That would do very nicely.
The judging would be one of the most versatile parts of this. As we develop as duelists, we learn to judge duels in more meaningful ways. But as we go, we can still get it wrong. Which is why there would be a second chance, in which case, a totally separate judge would be brought on to the duel.

Darth Odium said:
[member="Reverance"]

I would love to join this and also want to duel you. When you have time.
Fo sho, I'll keep that in mind as we move forward ;)

[member="Aaralyn Rekali"] [member="Senji Selah"] [member="Salk"] [member="Ire'Rain Sekairo"] [member="HK-36"] [member="Matsu Xiangu"] [member="Meanken"] - I'm happy to see this has so much support. :)

This reminds me of like a Legendary Mode in Soul Caliber or Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi (Psst - I have that game...and some of you weren't born yet? Or were really young...Or were you?)

*confused*

Skylar Ichor

S
No guns? Or knives? No death in character? *confused*can someone run this through me so I can be sure I want to join? (Really want to but is confused)

[member="Reverance"]

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
[member="Skylar Ichor"],

Whether guns or knives are used can be settled before the match begins, so if you want to fight somebody and only knives are used in the fight then you can do that, if you want only guns, then you can do that as well, if you want both, go ahead, the rules can be whatever you want.

And since these threads will be non-canon it doesn't matter if your character dies in them because they don't die in the actual forum timeline.

Of course if I'm wrong, I can always be corrected by- If There Is One Word I Would Use To Describe How I Feel About Ropos It Would Be "[member="Reverance"]"

Aaralyn Rekali said:
This reminds me of like a Legendary Mode in Soul Caliber or Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi (Psst - I have that game...and some of you weren't born yet? Or were really young...Or were you?)

*confused*
Game came out on the playstation...soo...I think most of us were born by that point, might be a few...

Skylar Ichor said:
No guns? Or knives? No death in character? *confused*can someone run this through me so I can be sure I want to join? (Really want to but is confused)

[member="Reverance"]
One duel could have anything allowed, one duel may not allow knives, one duel may not let blasters, one duel may only allow lighsabers, one might be totally unnarmed fight club style. These are not specific options that you have to choose from, they are purely suggestions. The conditions of a duel are entirely based upon the agreed upon circumstances of those involved in the duel. The only limit is your imagination. You could have a duel with just back scratchers and salad tongs.

Darth Vitium said:
Have I told you how much I love you?
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom