Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forced Roleplay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matreya

Having seen it plenty of times, though happily from the same few people just different characters, it has become common for some people to believe what they wish is acceptable. Point blank and period!

An example. Public threads? Sure they're public. But say you are facing an opponent, with no one in the distance, should it be acceptable for another person to come flying in out of nowhere and attempt forced replies from you? Even with OOC conversation, they believe being that it is public, that its go for gold. They have the rights to force themselves on you.

So I want the masses opinion:
Should this be acceptable? How should one go about it?

And if it is agreed that it is not, should there be a rule enstated that you cannot be forced to do so?

Matreya

As stated. It is a dominion, my character flew about into the middle of the forest, landed and happened to have a man come upon him. (PC) Started battle, didn't particularly enjoy it, but was not about to bail, until out of nowhere, with the pretext being that a Vong somehow knew precisely where his ally was, another PC came charging. Literally ran miles, I guess l, to that very spot.

When I stated I wanted a 1v1, in the OOC public thread, it was stated that it wasn't required that one have permission before attacking someone, nor that he needed to edit once I asked. I stated I would report, and the reply was again, that they could do what they wanted.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Darth Pikiran said:
How should one go about it?
1. PM them. Could be a misunderstanding.
2. If they hold their ground, request an RPJ.
3. Do not reply. They will all redirect to another opponent within 48 hours to a week. Then rejoin or request a new opponent.
4. Drop.

[member="Darth Pikiran"]

By nature of joining a public thread, you're basically giving your consent to RP with the public. If you want a private duel with a person, you can always make a private thread or a duel thread.

However, if someone does something you don't feel is fair, like flying in out of nowhere as you say, you could PM the writer and ask them to edit their post so that they aren't insta-spawning right next to you.

That being said, no one can force you to RP with someone that you don't want to.

EDIT: Oh, it's a dominion. That's a little bit different than jumping into a random public thread. Dominions are usually Faction-only, unless opened up to the public. If you asked for a 1 v 1 in a dom, and someone isn't complying (and you're not getting anywhere in PMs with the writer) you could contact the FA of the Faction doing the dominion. One of them might be able to step in and help settle things.

Matreya

While I attempted this, I still feel that even this is a bit much. It needs to have RPJs involved? Should I not have control over these things myself?

Honestly I believe this should be made a rule!

[member="Darth Pikiran"]
I have a story of this happening.
I had a bounty on a target whom was in a public thread. I did all the tracking and hunting, and we ended up writing for a solid 3-4 pages. Anyway, after a long and eventful hunt I begin my journey off Coruscant with a captured Jedi and her assassin friend. Then, another hunter shows up, and in one post alone they RP'ed kicking me to the ground, picking up my bounty and then jumping away out of sight. One post, didn't let me react to them kicking me to the ground nor let the captured react to be re-captured.

So I ended up chasing her down in my ship and getting my bounties back. They told me their name so I put a bounty on her head. She refused to let any BH come after her.

I was totally fine with her intervention, I didn't mind she forced actions on me. While I was irritated, I know some people are new. What annoyed me was that though she forced herself into the scenario, she wouldn't allow the repercussions of her actions to occur. It was a bit one-sided.

Matreya

Sage Bane said:
[member="Darth Pikiran"]

By nature of joining a public thread, you're basically giving your consent to RP with the public. If you want a private duel with a person, you can always make a private thread or a duel thread.

However, if someone does something you don't feel is fair, like flying in out of nowhere as you say, you could PM the writer and ask them to edit their post so that they aren't insta-spawning right next to you.

That being said, no one can force you to RP with someone that you don't want to.
Of course! But, then, does joining the public mean that they have rights to do literally whatever they feel? This is my issue. I don't mind role playing with dozens of people, I have had characters nearly killed because I faced to many PC's. But that was accepted by me.

I guess I'm just reminiscing when it comes to that, during my original year it was pmed to a player before people just jumped into a battle!

[member="Darth Pikiran"]

I see you're talking about me again.

Kage is a storm trooper. The Ren called in a squad of storm troopers, which you allowed. Kage, being a Stormtrooper, was a part of this squad. Not only was it plausable for Kage to be there, it happened he was. And is.

I never said I'd do what I want, just what made the most sense ICly. If you could have waited instead of doing all of this, again needlessly, you would have seen one of your allies helping you ICly, something he and I agreed upon.

Instead, you acted hastily, reported without talking to me in a PM, and continued to point fingers.

Don't talk about me behind my back first off. And secondly, remember this is an RP. I wrote a believable story, I'm sorry it wasn't what you wanted, but this is what my character would do.

skin, bone, and arrogance
It's a real shame that a federal case is being made over this, particularly when the 'bad guys' in this scenario were specifically invited to participate in order to OOCly help the 'good guys'' faction reach their posting goal faster, and especially when a polite request would almost certainly have ended the problem. But that wouldn't have fed anyone's ego, so of course we went with attempting an embarrassing public display.

This thread is in incredibly poor taste.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Darth Pikiran"]

Can we stop and talk about venting for a moment. Posts that start with,

• Not to be a hater
  • Dear FO members (in caps)
  • Dear community: Forced RP?

These are frustration-filled, venting-of-my-emotions, and omg-righteous-indignation posts. And that's not healthy for a website. Instead! Let's review. We should:

• PM for edits and clarification first, not vent in the OOC
  • Not post frustrated banners of our feelz in all caps
  • Not request the community come save you everytime drama happens
  • Remember public threads are, public threads. Even if Nubica requests they stay 1v1 PvP events.

Love ya dude. But it's time for a KitKat break. :D :p

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

The reason why it is a 1 on 1 PvP is because the winner gets the crystal. It's an explicit rule stated in 1st post which a lot of people ignored. Why is it so hard to read the objectives and accept the physical reality of dom set infront of you? Yeah, sure, I know people don't read posts of the people they RP with...but hey, at least read the intro post with some mental focus?

Matreya

Natasi Fortan said:
when a polite request would almost certainly have ended the problem.
But it didn't.

Jay Scott Clark said:
[member="Darth Pikiran"]

Can we stop and talk about venting for a moment. Posts that start with,

• Not to be a hater
  • Dear FO members (in caps)
  • Dear community: Forced RP?

These are frustration-filled, venting-of-my-emotions, and omg-righteous-indignation posts. And that's not healthy for a website. Instead! Let's review. We should:

• PM for edits and clarification first, not vent in the OOC
  • Not post frustrated banners of our feelz in all caps
  • Not request the community come save you everytime drama happens
  • Remember public threads are, public threads. Even if Nubica requests they stay 1v1 PvP events.

Love ya dude. But it's time for a KitKat break. :D :p
Got mad respect for you to.

However, whether Public threads, is it acceptable to be forced into something? As well, should I not do the very thing that the site admin state is needed for rules to be made? Ie popular agreement?

On the end of the day, the all caps was not just for me, as I noticed that there was not just myself having issues, so I did it to get attention. There was around 50% chance it would be seen by half the participants had I not done it the way I did. Now while annoying, it will have a higher chance.

People believe that because it is an rp, and in public, they have rights to be however they see fit. Disregarding common courtesy or respect.

In any regard, I see that opting to follow the precedent to have a rule made was the wrong idea. Let the players have free roam.

Admin please delete this thread.

Natasi Fortan said:
I know it's hilarious, coming as it is from me, but is insulting people at all helpful right now?
I am not insulting people. They simply did not read the intro post. For what reason, I couldn't care less.
They are insulting me by not reading. If you post to a thread, you agree to the terms. Imagine if I posted in invasion and I disregarded the information given in the objective. That's just very, very disrespectful to people who came up with objectives and other players(of all factions) who play by the rules.

[member="Tionne Thanewulf"]

24798370.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom