Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those of us in Healthcare...

Since I know there are more than a few of us in healthcare here, I thought i'd share this gem... Whether you call it EHR, EPCR, HardCard or whatever, anyone in HealthCare knows the AMAZING world that encompasses patient care reports... And thus, I bring you this masterpiece by ZDoggMD...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB_tSFJsjsw

For those of you not in healthcare, imagine that for every patient you must document EVERYTHING you do, because if not someone will sue... Now imagine someone thought of the brilliant idea to make that 'easier' on you by having it managed by a technology, like a computer program. Except the program was designed by Jar Jar Binks while on a Nar Shaddian bender with a couple of Ewok girls. Thus, you will have an approximation of the horror we as healthcare providers experience for every.... single.... patient...

Even on a Code 1 Emergency on an ambulance called I have two entries to fill out just to give a patient Oxygen. Both cover virtually the exact same things, excepting one has fields for who authorized the procedure. And given it's up to our discretion, that field is literally absolutely superfluous... And after those two entries are done, (with 5-10 fields each to fill out) I then have to document that EXACT SAME DATA in my Narrative/Written Report attached to the overall report, or else it's not legal/valid. Yes, there are some nights I contemplate launching the EPCR laptop out the back of the ambulance while riding down the freeway.

[member="Ijaat Akun"] - I can't help myself...I'm sorry...

JrxU7Oj.gif

[member="Seraphina Shel'tah"] - When I try to document a Code/Priority 1 run with my medic partner, yes.... It can literally take 2 hours or more some nights to document a run that takes 45 mins from dispatch to transfer of care to an ER.

Hold me? I'm scared... ;)

[member="Arrbi Betna"] - I have been known to literally yank a PCR from an older medic and go 'tell me what you want it to say'... You introduce this form of torture to an old pre technological revolution paramedic, and it becomes like watching paint dry, except the paint is acid and the fumes melt your lungs. Now, granted those same medics can pull off saves I can't even think my way through yet, but... The common complaint in Detroit is 'No, no no... That isn't what happened.... Why won't you just let me put what happened'?

For instance, one of the biggest gripes with our system? To ensure we get paid for the transport, emergency or not, we must narrate and document or first impression of the patient, as well as a databank entry for that as well. The DB entry has a HUGE list of impressions that include pneumothorax, acidic/caustic substance burn, etc... However it doesn't have a field for 'Shortness of Breath'.... You have to chose 'Respiratory Issues', which takes you to like 5-10 subfields you have to chose from, chose one of those (often the one you chose has NOTHING to do with patient status or impressions, as it includes Pulmonary Edema but not an Allergic Reaction, that is three sub-fields down in another primary selection) and then include a note under your choice explaining the actual impression, with supporting signs/symptoms since you are making your own up, i.e. 'Generalized Difficulty in Breathing upon Repspiration and Inhalation, Secondary & Accessory Muscle Use, Ashen Skin, Early Signs of Cyanosis and Possible Hypoxia, Low Sp02 reading'....

It wasn't so bad when I just did transfers from Hospital to Home or such, but now that i'm actively running 911, and working more with Emergency Docs and Nurses and seeing their headache, I have a feeling the people who design EHR for a living are sadistic cretins hell bent on world domination and destruction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom