Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction threads being switched over to Dominions at a high post count

Just wanted to toss this out there, because I know we are reactive instead of proactive.

There is a thread created by Prime that was originally a “Faction” thread. It started on August 21st,
OOC:http://starwarsrp.net/topic/64840-primeval-expedition-to-pax-insul-ooc/
RP: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/64845-pleasure-and-pain-expedition-to-pax-insul-primeval-dominion-of-pax-insul/

It had over 50 posts as a general blue tagged “Faction Thread”

It began officially not as a dominion, with the full intention of being only an exploration thread.
http://postimg.org/image/llu3hvmfv/

Just yesterday, this request was brought up to switch the thread into a dominion, with the FA approving it saying that it wasn’t against the rules, so Braith should just switch it into a dominion.
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/66317-interest-check/

While yes, there is no rule saying that a faction thread cannot be switched into a dominion, I think this is in very poor taste, especially since it is over fifty posts already when it was switched over. Essentially, anyone can swtich over a faction thread into a dominion at a high post count without making it clear that it was a dominion to begin with.

My question is this, as it is reactive -- What are your thoughts on this? Should it be allowed? Should it not?

And if the latter, how should we clarify the rules?

Our rules for dominions are the following for reference:

DOMINION

Label your faction's name, the planet, and the opposing faction (if there is one) in the topic title. Acquisitions will not be awarded in the future if this is not adhered to.

At any point, a faction may declare “dominion” over an unoccupied planet outside of their Influence Cloud. This is a way for factions to passively gain planets without competing with other factions.

Other factions may not interrupt a faction's Dominion thread.

The faction must meet all minimum requirements in order to gain the planet during a Dominion.

1. The thread must have a minimum total of 100 posts.

2. The faction must construct a believable plot for the duration of the role-play and present some sort of opposition for it's members.

3. You may only dominion a planet that is available on the SWRP: Chaos Official Map.

4. If you finish a dominion within 30 minutes of a faction finishing a dominion on the same planet, an Invasion thread for the planet must be initiated to decide ownership of the planet.

5. All posts in a Dominion must be made to be quality posts. Failure to adhere to this rule will result in a raising of the minimum post goal for the Dominion.

6. No single Writer may be responsible for more than 1/5th of the total posts in a Dominion.

7. Dominions must have a minimum of 5 unique writers posting in it.

Once a faction has finished it's Dominion of a planet, consult a Roleplay Judge to have the Dominion approved and the planet added to the Faction's Planet List.

A Major Faction may begin multiple Dominions at once.[SIZE=11.3333333333333px] [/SIZE]

While I agree that it is in poor taste, as long as you fulfill all the requirements (number of unique writers, etc), I don't find it too grave a matter. I don't think they should be reprimanded for it, but we ought to make sure it doesn't turn into a commonplace occurrence. An addition to the rules would be prudent, I think.

Spencer Jacobs said:
I mean I realize they probably saw the activity and decided "wow this should have been a dominion", but in reality I think it is in poor taste and shouldn't be allowed anymore.
I tried to think of an in depth and thought provoking response but in the end I think Spencer has it covered well enough.

So I am just going to say Ditto and go back to posting.

The Hound

T
I think its sneaky and underhanded, just like multi-factioning members to get around the allies rule, if this is continued to be allowed there will be no point to the dom rules other than a post count. It seemed like the Dominion tag was not only there for categorizing purposes but to let people know what was happening on other planets letting those who participate in the cloud game to react and respond.

Knowing the writers involved, I'm sure it wasn't intended as "gaming the system" or in malice. I'm pretty sure it was just an unaware switch.

Slap on the wrist, now they know better, but agree with Valiens, it's not that big of a deal.

I dont know, i feel like If they wanted to dominion the planet they should have simply made it a dominion thread at the beginning, it would be like taking a thread you did on a random planet some time ago, seeing it had over a hundred posts and going. "Huh, this could work now." Its lazy in my opinion (Im not calling the writers lazy, they still did a hundred post thread) I just find the whole action to be lazy when we have dominion tags and RPs for a reason. s

Remember, every dominion is a faction thread, but not every faction thread can be or has to be a dominion.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I take Thurion's stance on the matter.

This section of the rule sort of protects this action, and technically it is reasonable why a faction would do it.

Cira said:
At any point, a faction may declare “dominion” over an unoccupied planet outside of their Influence Cloud. This is a way for factions to passively gain planets without competing with other factions.

The only issue I can see being caused by an action like this in the future is a thread on the cusp of a Dominion minimum requirement being turned around into one as a way to contest another faction that might be domineering or even just faction threading on the same locale. "Ninja Dominions" could cause a lot of drama between factions in that respect, in the example above even being quite unfair.

Will people ever do that? It is highly unlikely. Is it plausible? Completely.

This is an interesting one.

If you have a thread that meets the requirements of a dominion, does it really matter if it wasn't declared at first?

What are the downside of not initially declaring a dominion?

- Other factions wouldn't be aware that you're starting a dominion. Potentially this could be used to encroach on another's territory, set up a cloud break etc without the other side realising? Seems a stretch of the imagination.
- Members might feel they're not being included in faction dominions. Again seems a bit of a push.

What are the downsides of enforcing titles when threads are created?

- Might make a genuine mistake on the title and opening post and moss out on gained planet

Is it worth changing a rule to prevent a potential situation, which would require faction admins to break wheaton's law and come under scrutiny to carry out?

I've managed to go from "this is an interesting one" to feeling the issues is really boring in a few sentences. I expect this thread will now reach 3 pages and include 2 reports.

I believe that a faction should declare a Dominion from the start .. as is stated in the rules. And how the rest of the boards operate under those rules.

Most of what I think has been stated, I don't believe it should be allowed, unless they seek the permission of the RPJs or Admins on this.

If this is allow it will also remove the ability to counter-dominion, if two factions are considering the same planet. It is Dom by stealth in my opinion.

In the defense of those who started the thread, it really was a faction thread at first. The reason being, is because we had intended and thought that the world would be within the Primeval's influence by the next update (I believe, if I'm getting this straight). But come next update our exploration thread was outside of our influence. We had some good activity going there, a viable story, plenty of writers involved, and the thread starter asked me and another FA if it would be alright to just switch it.

I didn't see anything that said we couldn't, or shouldn't, it appeared to match the correct credentials, and since it wasn't a planned occurrence I just said "Sure", not even thinking or being aware of the possible ramifications of such a move.

So that's my bit :p

Not a huge deal, not really anything to get all uproared with. That said, I don't think this should be a thing. I could do a faction thread on, say, Coruscant and then at 101 posts swap the tag to dominion and then request the planet. It's not... right. It's not a huge issue, but I'm with Spenser Jacobs on that. Really not something that should be allowed.

*goes back to posting*

I am for!

No wait...

I am against!

hm...

I guess it depends.

As long as the story is about actually taking over/create major influence/presence on the world it should fly. Role play is role play regardless what the thread label states and should be able to hold effect.

But, there could be times when someone(-s) put down alot of effort, time and energy to plan a dominion story arc over a world and despite having kept an eye on the current active threads is "sneaked-attacked" by a "normal" faction thread turned into a dominion.
That would suck for those who invested the effort, time and energy.

But then, how likely is that to happen...

Spencer Jacobs said:
I mean I realize they probably saw the activity and decided "wow this should have been a dominion", but in reality I think it is in poor taste and shouldn't be allowed anymore.
I agree with this, i mean no one is really intending to be a duck with this but its still a bad call. I mean the rules are kind of lax here and we have a lot of freedom but i think this would just be dishonest really. Does it suck yes it does but it also comes down to fairness to others. The dominion tag gives others the chance to react, if we can just bang them out as faction threads it kind of prevents other factions from being able to react. I know we don't meta game here and use back room info but its still the point of the issue. We have to good of a community here to add a reason for more bickering and distrust between us. Maybe, maybe a one time thing here but i think it needs to be added to the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom