Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Devastator Multi-Purpose Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tegaea Alcori

Firemane Industries CEO
Devastator Mine

Anti-tank_mines.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a powerful new landmine for Firemane. This mine is based on the canon Proton Mine with some changes for balance.
On the plus side, the Devastator can be remotely armed, disarmed and detonated. It also has a selection of different payloads and the different detection methods of the canon model.
To compensate the detonation area is reduced, it can conceivably be disarmed, and it can possibly be damaged by ion strikes.
  • Image Source: Here. From Wikipedia, Italian anti-tank mines.
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Development Thread: If necessary.
  • Primary Source: Based somewhat on the canon Proton Mine.
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Firemane Industries and Technology
  • Model: FM-LM01a
  • Affiliation: Firemane, Tygaran Alliance, Close Market Sales.
  • Modularity: Yes, three types of payload – anti-personnel, anti-vehicular and ion.
  • Production: Minor
  • Material: Durasteel casting and shrapnel, proton explosive core, payload.
SPECIAL FEATURES
  1. Landmine has encrypted transmitter for arming/disarming.
  2. Mine can have three payloads.
  3. Mine is buried underground 1 or so metres.
  4. Mine has multiple methods of detection – gravity, heat, pressure, remote detonation. Also has anti-tamper detonation.
  5. Mine is ion shielded.
DETAILED SPECIAL FEATURES

1. The Devastator can be remotely armed or disarmed using an encrypted signal. This was a point of contention with older mines such as the LX-4 which was made so it could not be disarmed in reaction to previous hacking incidents. However, with encryption technology advanced to the degree it has, the chance of these mines being disarmed is low. The anti-tamper failsafes also prevent the Devastator being opened and reverse engineered.
  2. The Devastator can have three payloads.
    • The first encompasses a 5m normal detonation but also has a dedicated claymore style payload for killing enemy personnel. This covers a larger area with lethal shards of metal, capable of tearing through light and most medium armours up to a distance of twenty metres.
    • The second payload is an ion blast. Instead of a the regular detonation, it unleashes an ion payload over the area, aiming to short out shields and electronics within twenty metres.
    • The final and most usual payload though is an anti-vehicular explosion which has a detonation radius of about 10 metres. This can be intensely destructive to the bottom of vehicles, infantry or even as an improvised breaching charge.
  3. The Devastator is usually buried 1 metre below the surface, though in cases where solid stone or permacrete prevents this, it can be greatly reduced, or even setup on the surface as a trap.
  4. The Devastator has a variety of different methods of detonation. Once armed it has a localised pressure sensor for things treading on the ground above it. It can also detect the presence of repulsor vehicles through the gravity sensor and also intense heat. Even if not armed it can be set off by heavy pressure such as that caused by a vehicle rolling over it.
  5. The Devastator has ion shielding to prevent it being disabled by ion blasts. Intense blasts can still disable it, but are likely to set it off.

Strengths:
  • Mine. The Devastator is a – pardon the pun – devastating defensive weapon. Whether used against vehicles, infantry or droids, it can be a lethal surprise.
  • Tamper. Designed to resist tampering, even if one were to deactivate a Devastator, it cannot be opened without exploding.
Weaknesses :
  • Stationary. The mine does not move, so if detected either by ground scans or other intel, it can be avoided.
  • Deactivate. By use of intense ion energy or by acquiring the deactivate code, the mine can be mostly rendered harmless. However, it will still explode in certain situations.

DESCRIPTION
To protect their newest fortifications, and to defend battlefield positions, Firemane needed a new defensive mine. The aptly named Devastator can be extremely destructive, with whichever of the three payloads are used.

A key concern with the construction of the Devastator is the ability to activate and deactivate it so as to prevent limiting of movement. However, even when disabled it is important to keep heavy wheeled or tracked vehicles off it as that will still set it off.

To prevent the designs falling into the hands of enemies and also to prevent the encryption keys being acquired, the mine is set to detonate on being opened, whether activated or not. This is a little frustrating for Firemane as it means that the payloads cannot be changed over once constructed, but it’s a small price to pay.

In appearance the mine is a large, slightly downward facing cone of about 15kg. It measures about 75cm across and 40cm deep. Because of their extremely reactive cores, even when deactivated, they are carefully stored with metal domes over them to prevent accidental pressure.

The Devastator can be set off in any stage by heavy pressure, or by being shot and penetrated with infantry weapons. This does make the storage vehicles and bunkers for them be looked on quite gingerly by other Firemane personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom