Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Deimos Series Positron Cannons

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=14.6667px] [/SIZE]Image Source: N/A

[SIZE=14.6667px]Intent: To provide Kiribian forces with a potent weapon system to quickly overload shields, and destroy large vessels made of unusually durable materials. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Development Thread: N/A[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Manufacturer: Kiribian Systems Armory[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Model: N/A[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Affiliation: Kiribian Systems Union[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Modularity: No[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Production: Minor[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Role: Anti-Ship/Vehicle (Class I,II), Anti-Captial Ship/Station (Class III), Point Defense[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Material: Titanium alloy, ceramics, gold, components for lasers and containment field.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Size: Ship Mounted[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Length: Class I - [/SIZE]Equivalent to a Repeating Laser, Class II - Equivalent to a Laser Cannon/Defense Gun, Class III - Equivalent to a Turbo Laser/Capital Gun

Weight: Class I -
Equivalent to a Repeating Laser, Class II - Equivalent to a Laser Cannon/Defense Gun, Class III - Equivalent to a Turbo Laser/Capital Gun

Damage Type: Kinetic, Energy/Heat (Gamma Ray emissions from matter-antimatter annihilation).

Ammunition Type: Powered directly by a ship reactor.

Ammunition Capacity: N/A

Effective Range: Equivalent to a Repeating Laser, Class II - Equivalent to a Laser Cannon/Defense Gun, Class III - Equivalent to a Turbo Laser/Capital Gun

[SIZE=14.6667px]Rate[/SIZE] of Fire: Variable, can alternate between burst and fully automatic modes. A high rate of fire for optimal shield busting.

Special Features:

Description:

The Kiribian military favored ion weapons for their ability to quickly strip the shield of enemy vessels, but they desired a more accurate, lethal ion system to not only to disable a vessel but to completely destroy it. KSA quickly came up with the solution to used charged antimatter particles in place of ionized plasma bolts fired by conventional systems, specifically positrons. Antimatter weapon systems are highly destructive due to the fact that the collision between matter and antimatter always results in annihilation of the particles in a violent explosion of powerful gamma ray emissions.

The system begins with the generation of positrons, achieved by using high powered free electron lasers to irradiate an array of gold wafers. The positrons released from the gold wafers during the irradiation process are then concentrated into a bolt by an electromagnetic containment field. Sharing a like charge, the particles naturally repulse each other, so they only need to be funneled out of a barrel by the containment field after being shaped into a bolt.

Deimos is also useful against projectile weapons featuring an unusually high level of armor and/or shielding. In the case of slugs or other projectiles, they are literally annihilated.
Because of the properties of positions, the Deimos is effectively restricted to space use only. Special care must be taken with the system in certain environments where clusters of friendly elements and non-combatants are present.

As a charged particle weapon (like a blaster or standard ion weapon) the beam is subject to rapid diffusion because of the like charged positron particles from the beam repulsing each other. As such, it is has a much shorter range in comparison to neutral particle beam weapons and lasers.

Primary Source: N/A

Other Sources:

Star Wars Wiki

Antimatter. (n.d.). Retrieved March 03, 2016, from http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Antimatter

Positron. (n.d.). Retrieved March 03, 2016, from http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Positron

Ion cannon. (n.d.). Retrieved March 03, 2016, from http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_cannon

V-200 ion cannon. (n.d.). Retrieved March 03, 2016, from http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/V-200_ion_cannon

Real World Inspirations

Positron | Wikiwand. (n.d.). Retrieved March 03, 2016, from https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Positron

Laser technique produces [SIZE=14.6667px]bevy[/SIZE] of antimatter. (2008). Retrieved March 03, 2016, from http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27998860/ http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27998860/

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Suravi Teigra said:
Role: Anti-Ship/Vehicle (Class I,II), Anti-Captial Ship/Station (Class III), Point Defense

I recommend making these into separate submissions for ease of reference, especially if they're going to be used in a future starship submission.

Suravi Teigra said:
Length: N/A

Weight: N/A

These will need to be filled out for each type. I might suggest using comparisons for this, like equal in size to a standard laser cannon.

Suravi Teigra said:
Effective Range: Class I - Battlefield, Class II - Starfighter, Class III - Capital Ship

I'd like to see a bit more description about this with each type. For example, is a Class III capital ship version have the rough range of an average turbolaser or a long-range turbolaser?

Suravi Teigra said:
. Even exotic and alchemized materials are not immune to the process of matter-antimatter annihilation, making Deimos a viable option against the likes of Sith and Mandalorian warships.
While this is probably true, and the basic concept seems sound, for gameplay purposes, this ability will need to balanced in some way and be backed with development thread.

Suravi Teigra said:
Because positrons are charged particles, the coil gun can alter the trajectory of the positron bolt with an electromagnetic funnel without the need to physically adjust the barrel, up to 45 degrees in any direction, provided there are no obstructions.
Can you elaborate on this electro-magnetic funnel a bit more?

Suravi Teigra said:
The vectoring feature allows Deimos the ability to actively engage multiple fast moving targets, and gives the system flexibility to aim at vessels even when its barrel isn't physically aligned with the target.

I'm not much of a physicist, but if you're able to change the arc of particle because of its mass, it strikes me that this won't likely be accelerating at the highest velocity it would otherwise be capable of in a straight line. In other words, this seems like it would have a significantly lower velocity compared to conventional electromagnetic guns.

Suravi Teigra said:
With the advent of more kinetic based weaponry like hypervelocity cannons, the Kiribians have also found use of Deimos against fast moving slugs. Deimos is also useful against projectile weapons featuring an unusually high level of armor and/or shielding. In the case of slugs or other projectiles, they are literally annihilated.
Theoretically possible, but this would require some sort of sensor that would be able to track a slug quickly enough to allow time for the Deimos to track onto it and then fire. Given the practical speeds of these projectiles in space, by the time the Deimos is firing, it's working on old information or the slug has probably already hit its target.

I do see this as potentially doable for conventional artillery shells in a ground battle. This could probably work against many warheads as well.

As a general suggestion, I'd make a comparison with each class to a comparable weapon for power purposes. Like each Class 1 Deimos positron cannon uses an equivalent amount of power to a laser cannon, and is as powerful as a standard laser cannon.

I'd also like to know how this anti-matter is kept contained before firing.

Gir Quee said:
I recommend making these into separate submissions for ease of reference, especially if they're going to be used in a future starship submission.

It's the same gun, just upscaled in power and range according to class. So if I was to mount a Deimos on a starship or small vehicle, it would probably be a Class I or II, then Class III if I was mounting this as part of a battery for a capital ship or space station.

Gir Quee said:
I'd like to see a bit more description about this with each type. For example, is a Class III capital ship version have the rough range of an average turbolaser or a long-range turbolaser?

Done.

Gir Quee said:
Can you elaborate on this electro-magnetic funnel a bit more?

The electromagnetic funnel an EM field generated by the coil gun, much like the electromagetic containment field of a lightsaber. I added on to that for some clarity.

Gir Quee said:
'm not much of a physicist, but if you're able to change the arc of particle because of its mass, it strikes me that this won't likely be accelerating at the highest velocity it would otherwise be capable of in a straight line. In other words, this seems like it would have a significantly lower velocity compared to conventional electromagnetic guns.

Because a positron is a charged particle, it can be funneled by an electromagnetic field without a noticeable loss in velocity. The particle bolt is not being bounced off the field, but guided along a curved path. Vectoring shots in this manner still results in a superior response time compared to a purely mechanical system where a barrel has to physically align with a target.

Gir Quee said:
While this is probably true, and the basic concept seems sound, for gameplay purposes, this ability will need to balanced in some way and be backed with development thread.

It's the other way around. Someone is going to have to develop a stable exotic material that's devoid of electrons because that is the only logical way they're going to avoid annihilation of the material upon direct collision with a positron beam. Practically impossible, even in this setting. This weapon system is pretty powerful because of the properties of antimatter, but the type of targets I have in mind for this platform usually come packing with energy shields, electromagnetic fields to deflect the shots, dovin basals, etc. Then there's always dodging. The system is limited in how it can be safely deployed, which I have outlined in my submission. I kept it minor production to keep the loony types from rampaging around disintegrating people.

Gir Quee said:
Theoretically possible, but this would require some sort of sensor that would be able to track a slug quickly enough to allow time for the Deimos to track onto it and then fire. Given the practical speeds of these projectiles in space, by the time the Deimos is firing, it's working on old information or the slug has probably already hit its target.

I agree with you about the slugs, so I removed that bit, but it still can be used against projectiles like missiles.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Suravi Teigra said:
Class I - Autocannon Size, Class II - Starship Heavy Cannon Size,
I'd suggest using common Star Wars equivalents for the first two like you did with your class 3. "Autocannon" and "Starship heavy cannon" aren't classifications that have a lot of direct meaning here. Most of our writers would probably say that a turbolaser is a starship heavy cannon. This will better help future factory judges and RPers understand their size and power when they look at future submissions which use this technology.

Before I get too deep into this submission, as a general rule of thumb, it's okay to use actual physics in a submission. However, even with real physics being used, gameplay balance takes priority over the actual physics behind it.

For example, I can theoretically make a missile that jumps into hyperspace and reverts into realspace in the middle of a target starship. Just because it's technically possible doesn't mean it should be done or that it will be approved here.

Because a positron is a charged particle, it can be funneled by an electromagnetic field without a noticeable loss in velocity. The particle bolt is not being bounced off the field, but guided along a curved path. Vectoring shots in this manner still results in a superior response time compared to a purely mechanical system where a barrel has to physically align with a target.

I'm aware that a positron is a charged particle. What I'm not aware of is a device that can produce an electromagnetic field that can both impart a lot of velocity to it and give it a curved trajectory.

Now I'm not saying that this technology doesn't necessarily exist, but that I do not know of one. The coil guns that I know of only "shoot" projectiles in linear lines in the absence of gravity. If you can give me an example of such a device that both gives an object a lot of velocity and gives it a curved trajectory in Star Wars or in real life, I'd like to see it so that I can educate myself. My university physics class was a while ago, and that type of science wasn't my area of concentration.

What little I do know is that particles of like charges tend to repel each other. This has been an obstacle to real life electron beam weapons as described in this government report on page 10.

Now, I think it could be argued that with star wars technology, we're at the point where such magnetic containment fields can be successfully generated. Depending on your source, turbolasers use some sort of particle beam, but it's worth noting that they don't quite have disintegrating effect that you're describing which would suggest to me that they aren't using a similar type of particle beam. However, we do see particle cannons that do seem to disintegrate things, like an entire bunkers. I think that this is probably the technology that is closest to what you're trying to do here. It's worth noting that they also have limited range, which suggests to me that while such a technology exists in Star Wars, the magnetic field technology doesn't exist yet where it can keep such volatile particles together for very long.

In fitting with this aspect of canon lore, I'd suggest adding short-range as one of the weaknesses for this weapon.

Suravi Teigra said:
It's the other way around. Someone is going to have to develop a stable exotic material that's devoid of electrons because that is the only logical way they're going to avoid annihilation of the material upon direct collision with a positron beam. Practically impossible, even in this setting. This weapon system is pretty powerful because of the properties of antimatter, but the type of targets I have in mind for this platform usually come packing with energy shields, electromagnetic fields to deflect the shots, dovin basals, etc. Then there's always dodging. The system is limited in how it can be safely deployed, which I have outlined in my submission. I kept it minor production to keep the loony types from rampaging around disintegrating people.
While I agree that such an armor would probably require a development thread, it does not detract from the statement that this will also need a development thread in its current form. The length of this development thread will be subject to its gameplay power and production levels. Minor will be acceptable with the right weaknesses to balance this out.

If you want to expand how you envision this weapon interacting with energy shields, electromagnetic fields, and like technologies, I'd appreciate that. This could make it much easier for me to approve.

Gir Quee said:
I'd suggest using common Star Wars equivalents for the first two like you did with your class 3. "Autocannon" and "Starship heavy cannon" aren't classifications that have a lot of direct meaning here. Most of our writers would probably say that a turbolaser is a starship heavy cannon. This will better help future factory judges and RPers understand their size and power when they look at future submissions which use this technology. Before I get too deep into this submission, as a general rule of thumb, it's okay to use actual physics in a submission. However, even with real physics being used, gameplay balance takes priority over the actual physics behind it. For example, I can theoretically make a missile that jumps into hyperspace and reverts into realspace in the middle of a target starship. Just because it's technically possible doesn't mean it should be done or that it will be approved here.
Okay, for most people to understand, how should I term these based off the descriptions below?

Class I - Usually mounted on small vehicles and small starships like interceptors. Used in an anti-material role, and for taking out other small vehicles and star fighters.

Class II - Mounted on heavy starfighters/gunships, smaller capital ships like corvettes, and on large capital ships as a form of CIWS. Used in an anti-ship role, primarily against smaller capital ships. Moderate effectiveness against large capital ships and installations.

Class III - Mounted on large capital ships. Used primarily in an anti-capital ship role, and to assault large installations.

Gir Quee said:
I'm aware that a positron is a charged particle. What I'm not aware of is a device that can produce an electromagnetic field that can both impart a lot of velocity to it and give it a curved trajectory. Now I'm not saying that this technology doesn't necessarily exist, but that I do not know of one. The coil guns that I know of only "shoot" projectiles in linear lines in the absence of gravity. If you can give me an example of such a device that both gives an object a lot of velocity and gives it a curved trajectory in Star Wars or in real life, I'd like to see it so that I can educate myself. My university physics class was a while ago, and that type of science wasn't my area of concentration. What little I do know is that particles of like charges tend to repel each other. This has been an obstacle to real life electron beam weapons as described in this government report on page 10. Now, I think it could be argued that with star wars technology, we're at the point where such magnetic containment fields can be successfully generated. Depending on your source, turbolasers use some sort of particle beam, but it's worth noting that they don't quite have disintegrating effect that you're describing which would suggest to me that they aren't using a similar type of particle beam. However, we do see particle cannons that do seem to disintegrate things, like an entire bunkers. I think that this is probably the technology that is closest to what you're trying to do here. It's worth noting that they also have limited range, which suggests to me that while such a technology exists in Star Wars, the magnetic field technology doesn't exist yet where it can keep such volatile particles together for very long. In fitting with this aspect of canon lore, I'd suggest adding short-range as one of the weaknesses for this weapon.
In my original write up, the coil gun accelerates the particle bolt, while a seperate em field generator located at the tip of the barrel produces the funnel, much like a lightsaber containment field (producing an em field at the end of the emitter shaped like a loop). I've revised that bit to say that the containment field simply funnels the particle bolt and handles the vectoring effect alone.

Because starships in Star Wars generally don't use maneuvering thrusters in space flight to alter direction, the only explanation is ion thrusters have to use some form of thrust vectoring:

a_wing-02691.jpg

I'm looking right now, but I know other engines that use other methods like magnetized nozzles and paddles to redirect thrust as well. The gun works like an ion engine, except it's outputting deadly positron beams.

Gir Quee said:
If you want to expand how you envision this weapon interacting with energy shields, electromagnetic fields, and like technologies, I'd appreciate that. This could make it much easier for me to approve.

Standard particle weapons like blasters and turblolasers (of legend canon) transfers its kinetic energy to the target on an atomic or sub-atomic level during impact, heating it up to the point of melting or vaporization. My positron weapon operataes at a comparable energy output to these weapons (e.g. Class III Gun to a Capital Ship Turbolaser), but it deals damage in a different way when it comes to matter. Upon collison the electrons are going to be annihilated along with the rest of the atom since it needs electrons to maintain its form. The destruction results in the release of gamma ray emissions. So the affected area is destroyed, while basically providing the fuel to damage surrounding areas.

Against ray shields and deflector fields, it works like any other ion weapon. Dovin basals could could hold onto the beams with their singularities, but if they also absorb any kind of matter into that singularity, it's probably going to overload, because what they now have is a nuclear bomb created by gravitational containment.

I took out the bit about the effects against special materials. However, I'd like to say that materials like beskar, cortosis, or phrik would be subject to the matter-antimatter phase process. Even magical alchemical materials if they're just enhanced versions of preexisting materials.

After making this post, I will also mention something about the range being limited by the diffusion of the beam because of repulsion of like particles.

Suravi Teigra said:
Okay, for most people to understand, how should I term these based off the descriptions below?

Class I - Usually mounted on small vehicles and small starships like interceptors. Used in an anti-material role, and for taking out other small vehicles and star fighters.

Class II - Mounted on heavy starfighters/gunships, smaller capital ships like corvettes, and on large capital ships as a form of CIWS. Used in an anti-ship role, primarily against smaller capital ships. Moderate effectiveness against large capital ships and installations.

Class III - Mounted on large capital ships. Used primarily in an anti-capital ship role, and to assault large installations.
I think the easiest way to do this would be to make them roughly equivalent in power usage and in terms of offensive power to standard star wars weapons. For example, Class 1 seems to be equivalent to a laser cannon. Class 2 is a bit trickier, and I'm tempted to say something like a light turbolaser or a heavy laser cannon. The issue with using a light turbolaser as an analogue is that they aren't typically usable on starfighters or gunships without limited production amounts. The issue with heavy laser cannons is that they're typically effective against only the smallest capital ships. I'll think a bit more about this though and see if I can come up with a better equivalent.

Suravi Teigra said:
In my original write up, the coil gun accelerates the particle bolt, while a seperate em field generator located at the tip of the barrel produces the funnel, much like a lightsaber containment field (producing an em field at the end of the emitter shaped like a loop). I've revised that bit to say that the containment field simply funnels the particle bolt and handles the vectoring effect alone.
This is tricky because we're getting into argumentum ad ignorantiam territory. There's not a lot of evidence one way or the other that this is possible or impossible. The closest canon equivalent that I know is the laser cannon on the Nantex-class Starfighter which uses a series of micro-tractor beam projectors to change bolt trajectories once it's already been fired by the cannon. I'd like to see the positron cannons follow this example in terms of performance. This means that a positron cannon will take up more gun slots on a ship/vehicle compared to normal (to provide power for this field emitter) and the degree that a bolt can be moved around is 10-20 degrees (dependenent on development).

Because starships in Star Wars generally don't use maneuvering thrusters in space flight to alter direction, the only explanation is ion thrusters have to use some form of thrust vectoring:

I'm looking right now, but I know other engines that use other methods like magnetized nozzles and paddles to redirect thrust as well. The gun works like an ion engine, except it's outputting deadly positron beams.
How starships maneuver in Star Wars is one of those gray and murky areas that isn't well-defined. Some ships do use maneuvering thrusters (there's a whole category page here, while others use things like etheric rudders and other fin or wing like technologies to move around. What I think what you may be looking for is Ion stream deflector. Again, it's not one of those technologies that is really well-defined in detail.

Suravi Teigra said:
Standard particle weapons like blasters and turblolasers (of legend canon) transfers its kinetic energy to the target on an atomic or sub-atomic level during impact, heating it up to the point of melting or vaporization. My positron weapon operataes at a comparable energy output to these weapons (e.g. Class III Gun to a Capital Ship Turbolaser), but it deals damage in a different way when it comes to matter. Upon collison the electrons are going to be annihilated along with the rest of the atom since it needs electrons to maintain its form. The destruction results in the release of gamma ray emissions. So the affected area is destroyed, while basically providing the fuel to damage surrounding areas. Against ray shields and deflector fields, it works like any other ion weapon. Dovin basals could could hold onto the beams with their singularities, but if they also absorb any kind of matter into that singularity, it's probably going to overload, because what they now have is a nuclear bomb created by gravitational containment. I took out the bit about the effects against special materials. However, I'd like to say that materials like beskar, cortosis, or phrik would be subject to the matter-antimatter phase process. Even magical alchemical materials if they're just enhanced versions of preexisting materials.
I really advise against defining how certain technology works in Star Wars. While we can certainly make some inferences and there are a few things that are solidly defined, there's also a lot of conflicting information from canon sources. It seems likely that we will continue to get new sources with new information that matches or conflicts with our idea of what this technology is and isn't, whether.

So this is what I currently have for understanding this weapon for balancing purposes. Let me know if I'm wrong on something or you see it differently.

Strengths:
-Capable of modifying its bolt trajectory after being fired, making it more accurate against fast moving targets
-Unusually effective against special armors compared to conventional weapons?

Weaknesses:
-Range limitation?
-Takes more gun slots than normal?

Gir Quee said:
I think the easiest way to do this would be to make them roughly equivalent in power usage and in terms of offensive power to standard star wars weapons. For example, Class 1 seems to be equivalent to a laser cannon. Class 2 is a bit trickier, and I'm tempted to say something like a light turbolaser or a heavy laser cannon. The issue with using a light turbolaser as an analogue is that they aren't typically usable on starfighters or gunships without limited production amounts. The issue with heavy laser cannons is that they're typically effective against only the smallest capital ships. I'll think a bit more about this though and see if I can come up with a better equivalent.

As I have it now. Class I = Blaster Cannon, Class 2 = Laser Cannon/Defense Gun, Class 3 = Turbo Laser/Capital Gun.

Gir Quee said:
This is tricky because we're getting into argumentum ad ignorantiam territory. There's not a lot of evidence one way or the other that this is possible or impossible. The closest canon equivalent that I know is the laser cannon on the Nantex-class Starfighter which uses a series of micro-tractor beam projectors to change bolt trajectories once it's already been fired by the cannon. I'd like to see the positron cannons follow this example in terms of performance. This means that a positron cannon will take up more gun slots on a ship/vehicle compared to normal (to provide power for this field emitter) and the degree that a bolt can be moved around is 10-20 degrees (dependenent on development).
Eh, I'm just going to remove the vectoring function entirely.

Gir Quee said:
I really advise against defining how certain technology works in Star Wars. While we can certainly make some inferences and there are a few things that are solidly defined, there's also a lot of conflicting information from canon sources. It seems likely that we will continue to get new sources with new information that matches or conflicts with our idea of what this technology is and isn't, whether.
Your basic blaster in Star Wars works exactly how I described the operation of a particle weapon in the real world:

d5d2f65b893abb727723ba81d4b5d100.png

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blaster/Legends

Gir Quee said:
So this is what I currently have for understanding this weapon for balancing purposes. Let me know if I'm wrong on something or you see it differently. Strengths: -Capable of modifying its bolt trajectory after being fired, making it more accurate against fast moving targets -Unusually effective against special armors compared to conventional weapons? Weaknesses: -Range limitation? -Takes more gun slots than normal?
So I removed the vectoring function. Deimos operates like any other particle weapon, except it fires positrons instead of the usual matter-based plasma. Upon collision, instead dumping energy into the target's atoms to heat them up, electrons within the atom are annihilated, and the rest of the atom breaks down (sent flying away in an explosion of protons and neutrons). This is a net positive reaction , which makes Deimos a more efficient and destructive weapon system when it comes to hitting solid targets.

The range penalty should fall in line with standard blaster/"laser" weapons, which are charged particle weapons.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Suravi Teigra said:
As I have it now. Class I = Blaster Cannon, Class 2 = Laser Cannon/Defense Gun, Class 3 = Turbo Laser/Capital Gun.
At Star Wars Chaos, a Blaster Cannon and a Laser Cannon have traditionally been considered as equivalent in power. While this is not an entirely up to date page, this page might give you some rough ideas on standard Star Wars weapon equivalencies on Chaos.

Suravi Teigra said:
Your basic blaster in Star Wars works exactly how I described the operation of a particle weapon in the real world:

Deimos operates like any other particle weapon, except it fires positrons instead of the usual matter-based plasma. Upon collision, instead dumping energy into the target's atoms to heat them up, electrons within the atom are annihilated, and the rest of the atom breaks down (sent flying away in an explosion of protons and neutrons). This is a net positive reaction , which makes Deimos a more efficient and destructive weapon system when it comes to hitting solid targets.

The range penalty should fall in line with standard blaster/"laser" weapons, which are charged particle weapons.

[member="Gir Quee"]
While I would agree that blasters and like weapons are particle weapons (as are ion cannons), Star Wars lore also differentiates specific particle beam weapons that are not variations of blaster weaponry.

From the description so far, the Positron cannon sounds more conceptually linked to these weapons than traditional turbolaser weapons to me.

Essentially, if it is going to be unusually effective against armor with the effects as you've described, it traditionally would fall under this category of particle beam weapons. Particle beam weapons typically have had shorter ranges compared to traditional blaster weaponry in the same size category. However, the Positron cannon does not necessarily need to have a shorter range if has another characteristic that can balance out its unusual effectiveness against armor.

Gir Quee said:
At Star Wars Chaos, a Blaster Cannon and a Laser Cannon have traditionally been considered as equivalent in power. While this is not an entirely up to date page, this page might give you some rough ideas on standard Star Wars weapon equivalencies on Chaos.
After looking at this guide, I relabeled the Class I gun as a Repeating Blaster. Class II is a is equivalent to a laser cannon at the defense gun tier.

Gir Quee said:
While I would agree that blasters and like weapons are particle weapons (as are ion cannons), Star Wars lore also differentiates specific particle beam weapons that are not variations of blaster weaponry. From the description so far, the Positron cannon sounds more conceptually linked to these weapons than traditional turbolaser weapons to me. Essentially, if it is going to be unusually effective against armor with the effects as you've described, it traditionally would fall under this category of particle beam weapons. Particle beam weapons typically have had shorter ranges compared to traditional blaster weaponry in the same size category. However, the Positron cannon does not necessarily need to have a shorter range if has another characteristic that can balance out its unusual effectiveness against armor.
I added a part about it having a shorter range in comparison to a neutral particle beam or a (true) laser.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom