Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Codex Denied Dead Planet Contest: Nycteria, The Whispering Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nycteria, The Whispering Planet

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: This submission was originally for the Codex Dead Planet Contest in June 2017. My intent is to fix it up for use in future threads.
Image Credit:
Canon: N/A
Links: N/A

GENERAL INFORMATION
Planet Name:Nycteria
Demonym:N/A
Region:Unknown Regions
System name:Nyx System
Major imports:N/A
Major expoirts:N/A
Unexploited resources:Chromium

SYSTEM FEATURES
Moons:N/A
Other planets:Two gas giants: Nyct-1a and Nyct 1b
Asteroid beltsThin belt between Nycteria,
and the farther Nyct-1a and Nyct 1b
Stars:One red dwarf of 0.5 stellar masses
Spatial anomalies:Entire system is enclosed in a thick planetary nebula,
making it difficult to locate

GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
GravityStandard
Climate:Frozen.
Primary terrain:Icefields and rocky outcrops.
Atmosphere:Type I
Rotational Period:31 hours
Orbital Period:400 days

Almost all weather occurs above the troposphere, which is mostly clear with a constant gentle wind blowing. The upper-atmosphere is full of dark clouds and high wind speed and storms create regular rainfall and mists that descend and freeze further down. The planet’s surface is icy, cracked and full of deep ravines. A few mountains and rocky outcrops of white stone stick out but the rest of the ground is flat and and rocky, made up of a dark-coloured mineral. High amounts of loose carbon give the ice that covers much of the surface a dark-grey or black colour. In patches there are massive holes free of ice from which steam and ash belch out from volcanic activity under the surface.

Major Locations:

• [SIZE=12pt]Eastern Plateau[/SIZE]
gQZZnHI.png

The site of the abandoned Nycteria Exploration Base. It’s a 10x30 km raised section of white rock with a small lake near the centre. The ruins of Nycteria exploration base are located here. The base consists of 5 wings, each devoted to research. The centre hub contains personal quarters, the mess, and other facilities. The base has a full capacity of 3000 souls, and is capable of stocking food an provisions for 2 years. The base operated for 7 months until the residents finally succumbed to The Noise.

• North/South Poles
3i0qceu.png

Weather here is incredibly harsh. Proceeding North beyond 80* latitude and South beyond 40* exposes travellers to extremely cold temperatures, unstable earth and numerous ravines. The Northern Exploration team only went a few hundred km North. Not enough that these threats were anything close to what they'd be at ther more Northern latitudes.

• Equator:
ZzkWow7.png

Significantly warmer than the poles. The ground is full of steam vents and geysers. The Noise is so strong here it is unbearable. Exploration along the equator is limited due to the pervasive nature of The Noise. The equator can also be hazardous because of the toxic gasses, and hot material constantly being spewed out by the thousands of geysers that run along its length.

• Wreck of The Silver Wonder Luxury starship:
ybUHYxn.png

After a hyperdrive malfunction that dumped the ship in the Noch system The Wonder crashed 20* South of the equator. Most of the passengers survived the impact. However, quickly, without adequate protection , the survivors succumbed to The Noise and died of thirst. The Silver Wonder was found by The Northern Research team from the Nycteria Exploration Base.

• Sir Daniel Morgan Space observatory (A.K.A The Morgan)
Ypw2OQj.png

An unmanned station to provide data on atmospheric conditions of Nycteris. Abandoned after the colony’s collapse. It's named after the late Sir Daniel Morgan. A human researcher who discovered the planet. At its current state the satellite is no longer functional, but is in no danger of disintegrating.

POPULATION
  • Native Species: The planet is believed to have never naturally harboured life.
  • Immigrated Species: Humans (All now deceased)
  • Population: Uninhabited (Prev approximately 2600)
  • Demographics: The Nycteria Exploration Base had humans of all demographics, until they were all wiped out.
  • Primary Languages: Galactic Standard Basic
  • Culture: The day to day lives of residents on the base was hard work. To keep the base running many citizens were constantly repairing the base’s various systems. A few people were dedicated to attempting exploration missions, and roughly 20 personnel were dedicated to security. The base’s 7-month history is detailed in a diary kept by Dr Fiona Ziegler.
GOVERNMENT & ECONOMY
  • Government: Before its’ collapse the base operated like a research facility. Decisions were made by a council of head researches, scientists, and people required to maintain the base.
  • Affiliation: N/A
  • Wealth: Low, the base still has important and valuable components for scientific research, and power. The base’s armoury is still full and contains some small arms. However, in the scope of a planet, this wealth is insignificant.
  • Stability: In the weeks leading up to the collapse of Nycteria Exploration Base it was very unstable. Unable to protect themselves from The Noise weaker citizens began to succumb to it. As more were affected the population began to tear itself apart. Leading to total collapse.
  • Freedom & Oppression: Before collapse, the base was very relaxed. People were free to do what they wanted and live their own lives, so long as they did their job.
MILITARY & TECHNOLOGY
  • Military: Before collapse the base only had a small security team with small arms, and a few explosives to be used in mining or clearing rock.
  • Technology: 20 years behind current.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION
  • Nycteria was settled by a group of human researches and settlers from Naboo. The base operated normally for about 6 months before collapsing entirely. The story is outlined in the diary of an agricultural researcher, Dr Fiona Ziegler. Her diary is shown below.

Last edited:
Extracts from the diary of Fiona Ziegler.
2nmdgKy.png

[SIZE=11pt](Source: Shutterstock)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]22/07: [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Today I got word from Mark about an exciting new opportunity for research. A new planet, Nycteria, has recently been discovered in the Unknown Regions after researches observed strange gravitational forces in the 23A6I Planetary nebula. It’s amazing, the icy terrestrial world is hidden behind a shroud of gas. Even more exciting, according to atmospheric analysis, the planet is habitable, if a bit cold. What’s more they already have an area in mind for a colony. I’m definitely putting myself on the shortlist for this.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]14/09: We leave today. The ships are all lined up like a small fleet. There are ten of them. Each carrying about 260 eager scientists and colonists. I’m so excited! I haven’t travelled in so long. The mission is supposed to last a year, then this same fleet will retrieve us and bring us home, heroes and explorers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]17/09: We landed on Nycteria today. Our hyperspace route ended just outside the nebula, which hung in a thousand colours like a curtain around our system. Everyone was mesmerised by it. Two days of hard travel later we were entering the planet’s atmosphere. That was quite scary. As we descended rain lashed on the windows, and great gusts of wind buffeted us. But once we were lower it settled down. When we first landed, I didn’t hear it. The engines were loud, and everyone was talking. But, as soon as I stepped off I did. Our landing zone was half a klick from a deep volcanic lake, the idea was we could purify the water and use it for drinking. The lake was a deep black, like pitch, even looking at it made me nervous. Most bizarre of all, though, was the sound it made. From the lake radiated a low rumble, it seemed to hang it the air, so low you could feel it more than hear it. As soon as I heard it my heart thumped wildly, it makes it feel like the planet is alive.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]23/09: It didn’t take long to set up the habitation sector, the buildings are nestled close together, each one on stilts over the white rock, to conserve heat. On top sat massive wind turbines. The constant breeze generates enough energy to power this settlement at its maximum 3 times over. Everyone is relieved the building is up. The noise coming from the lake is duller in here, people say they can barely hear it now. But I can still feel it in my bones, every second of every hour.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]30/09: I am proud to announce the completion of the Nycteria Exploration Base is complete. The last research wing was added this morning, and the space observatory is up and running, orbiting Nycteria taking measurements. I’m so happy the base is finally done. It was a hard week getting it done and it's only complete because of everyone’s tirelessness and hard work.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]The first two exploration teams leave today, one is headed south towards the equator, and the other into the Northern flatland. I hope they come back safe and discover something amazing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]12/10: The Northern team got back with some crazy news today. While exploring North of the base they entered a ravine and discovered the wreck of a starship. It was positioned in such a way that we didn’t see it when landing. They spent a whole day going through the ship. They found a lot of bodies inside, but they were so old they were just bones lying in heaps. The team returned to base laden with looted artefacts, which I don’t think is right, they belong to the people on the ship. On the way back to base, one of the Northern team slipped and fell into a ravine. He died instantly, but they couldn’t recover the body. He is the first death of our expedition.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]We had a funeral for him outside, but we had to cut it short because people kept complaining about the noise from the lake. I didn’t like it either. The Northern team made another discovery on their trip. The large geysers that are scattered around the flats also give off a similar sound, but if you stay well clear of them you can’t hear a thing but the wind.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]That must be nice.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]23/10: It’s been over 2 weeks since the Southern team failed to return from their mission. A week ago, it became clear to the council that they wouldn’t be returning and likely died falling into a ravine, like the man from the Northern team. But something unsettling happened today. Everyone is talking about it. This morning the communications officer got a message from a member of the Southern team. At first he couldn’t hear anything, but eventually he could make out the sound of breathing. One of the medics said it was unnaturally slow, and it meant the person would die soon. After about an hour the message cut off. The council decided not to send a rescue mission, saying whoever it was they would be dead before help arrived. The noise from the lake is keeping my up, its loud tonight.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]03/01: Things have been… weird, ever since that damned message. The council refuses to send more exploration teams, relying solely on the observatory. I don’t blame them. A few days ago, a construction team used some spare materials to reinforce the walls on the Western wing to muffle The Noise. I haven’t really noticed any different. I still feel it and still hear it. It’s never ended and ever-present. As I work I hear people talk. Some of them say the planet is cursed, that they can’t sleep at night and sometimes even hear voices. People are really stressed lately.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]09/01: Winter has hit the base. Even this close to the equator the temperature drop is significant. Outside, an impenetrable mist shrouds the base, and through it. Seemingly amplified emanates The Noise. In the halls, I see select people, the older, or the sicker ones. They walk around muttering. As I walked from my bunk to the mess one of them grabbed me. “Get it out of my head” He screamed. I could see true madness in his eyes. Every day I wonder what I’m doing on this god-forsaken space rock, and I wonder what it's doing to the people here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]10/01: Twenty-two people were admitted to the medical centre today. Each one was the same, unresponsive, wide awake, fists clenched and mouthing words so fast nobody could understand. As the hours progressed, one by one they all grew still. The doctors couldn’t say what was wrong with them. They just seemed to have shut down. When they were pronounced dead, grim-faced members of the security team took the bodies and buried them in a mass grave a few hundred metres from our base.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]17/01: Two-Hundred dead. People seem to be dropping all around us now. It’s The Noise. I know it is. It fills me now, a constant companion to my every thought and feeling. Everything I know and love is tainted by its touch. It surrounds us like a blanket, and threatens to smother us at any time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]05/02: *click*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]I’m switching to audio recordings now. I can’t concentrate long enough to put pen to paper, can’t will my hands to write. The little I can manage is chicken scratch at this point. Nobody works now, we just eat from the storage room and retreat to the bunks. The security team staged a coup this morning. They cut the heads off the council members and offered them to the lake. But a few heads won’t stop The Noise. It is like a Lovecraftian monster. An entity of true cosmic horror. Yesterday I witnessed two hundred souls walk right out of the base, trying to get away. But nobody escapes The Noise. From the moment it washed over us we were caught. Like a fly in a trap.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]*end*[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]15/02: *click*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]I’m one of the last few. Everyone else is dead or gone. Only their ghosts walk the halls of this wretched base. Sometimes I hear faint voices, or people moving about. But these days I can barely separate my mind from reality. I think this is it. This is the end. Mama, I love you. I know you will never find this. I’m sorry Mama. I’m sorry.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]*end*[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]22/02:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]*click*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]<slow, shallow breathing, in the background a faint rumble can be heard>[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]*end*[/SIZE]

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
That's the coolest freaking thing I've seen submitted to the Codex. Details nailed and substantive. Also, welcome to Chaos :)

[member="Mahet"] - pending approval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom