Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Darasuum Hecr, The Mykyr Cycle Owl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
4ae037a5098f5bbb4a85126511ef799e_zpsrytsvhjo.jpg

Name: Darasuum Hecr; The Eternal Owl; Mykyr Cycle Owl
Designation: Non-Sentient
Homeworld: Mykyr
Language:
  • Hoots
  • Shrieks
  • Various Bird Calls
Average height of adults: .308-.762 Meters
Skin color: Light
Hair color: White plumage with any combination of:
  • Red
  • Purple
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Green
  • Brown
Breathes: Type I
Strengths:
  • Force Sensitive
    Sensory Telepathy (Can transmit short images, smells and sounds via the Force)

[*]Adaptive Sight (Sudden changes in light don't affect it)
[*]Strong Sense of Smell
[*]Incredible Eyesight Range and field of view (~1Km, 270 Degrees)
[*]Amazing Hearing
[*]Silent Flier
[*]Doesn't require daily sleep
[*]Sharp Claws
[*]Sharp Beak
[*]Mykyr Hunter
  • Unexplained Force Hunting adaptation like the Vornskr

Weaknesses:
  • Farsighted
  • Extremely Empathetic with regards to the Force
    Can simulate Moonblinking effects
  • Affected negatively by galactic scale events of tragedy; Example: Planet destruction
  • Can cause hysteria

[*]Inability to swim
[*]Easily killed with conventional weaponry
[*]Hollow bones
[*]Moonblikning
  • When a Cycle Owl sleeps in an area without the Force
  • Causes insanity
  • Causes cannibalism
  • Causes Hysteria
  • Eventual death after two-three days

Distinctions:
  • Large yellow Eyes
  • Multi-colored secondary and tertiary plumage patterns
  • Up to a 1.5 Meter wingspan
Average Lifespan: 130 Years
Races:
  • Mando Darasuum Hecr
    Black and brown Patterns instead of their brightly colored cousins
  • Winter Plumage changes all patterns to white and black
  • .152 Meters to .308 Meters taller than average than Mykyr Cousin

[*]Dwarf Cycle Owl
  • Slightly smaller than their larger cousin
  • More aggressive

Estimated Population:
  • Uncommonly found throughout the Mandalorian territories
    Mandalore
  • Dathomir
  • Yavin
  • Concord Dawn

[*]Common on Mykyr
Diet: Carnivor
  • Dwarf Vornskr
  • Ysalimir
  • Other Small insects, reptiles, and mammals
Communication:
  • Force Meld "Sight"
  • Hoots
  • Calls
  • Limited image telepathy - Images, sensory
Culture: The Darasuum Hecr while obviously non-sentient have had a small impact on the Bounty Hunting underworld. Easier to tame than the Vornskr and even Dwarf Vornskr, for years they were used by bounty hunters during the early days of the Empire to help hunt Jedi that had escaped Order 66. Popular on the black market as well as pets they are commonly seen in use by Force Sensitive pirate captains and brigands. There is also an urban legend around a rare type of Cycle Owl known as the Giant Cycle Owl. Only officially seen and recorded four times in the last 500 years, it is assumed by most cryptozoologists that it is extinct, though the vast majority of serious zoologists hypothesize that it never existed int he first place. However on Mandalore the ancient legend of Hecr be Marerlu'or, a malicious Giant Cycle Owl who uses its strange magical powers to lead children who are awake late at night into the woods where it eats their souls, keeping them from ever meeting their loved ones in the Manda after death is still told.
Technology level: None
General behavior: Solitary outside of breeding season, the Eternity Owl spends most of its time in the trees of Mykyr. The species is interesting in that it can go for days without sleeping with the longest recorded time being fifteen days. Because of this it hunts almost constantly to keep its active body fueled. Hunting small animals and ysalimir, the owl hunts utilizing a strange kind of Echolocation in the Force, similar to teh Vornskr, in order to hunt the ever plentiful Ysalimir. However, because it utilizes the Force in this way, its main predator is the Vornskr making its hunt for food incredibly dangerous.

Despite being solitary creatures, the Eternity Owl as been observed by Jedi researchers to quickly form Force bonds with mates and other force sensitives if contacted first. Interestingly, the Eternity Owl also mates for life, however once the eggs have hatched and the chicks have left the nest, the two part ways until the other needs it, which it can sense in the Force, in which it will fight fiercely to protect its mate. Because of their bond Eternity Owls don't usually have large areas of territory and don't fly far from the breeding nest. However, if Ysalamiri take up residence near enough for the nest to be taken within their Force nullifying bubble, the Cycle Owl is forced to leave due to the interesting mental sickness that occurs during sleep within an area without the Force. The event is called Moonblinking which causes a variety of negative mental issues including but not limited to insanity, cannibalism, and hysteria. At the end of the sickness' life cycle the Cycle Owl dies.

Cataclysmic events have also been shown to put the Cycle Owls into a frenzy and sometimes even shock. However, it is also a folktale that the Cycle Owl when put under extreme stress morphs into a creature of the night that kidnaps children and steals Mandalorian souls, keeping them from ever entering the Oversoul known as the Manda. Though this is only told as a children's tale...Or is it?

History: Discovered around the same time as the Ysalimir, the Eternity Owl as it was known in Basic it soon became known as the Cycle Owl due to its strange ability and tendency to stay awake and active for several days. By the time the Mandalorians, mainly Clan Betna, had colonized the world they were competing with Strills as prime hunting companions. Though smaller than the Strill it held more utility as it could hunt Force Users which just prior to the Gulag plague were a prime bounty.

Now the animal is found throughout Mandalorian worlds with the Mandalorian variant being the largest being on average an entire foot larger than the Mykyr species. The bird has been picked up through out the galaxy by bounty hunters that specialize in hunting Force Users and is often seen in the presence of crime lords and other rich people as an exotic pet.

Notable Player-Characters: N/A
Intent: The Mandalorian faction decided to take a more story and lore oriented approach to their roleplays to entice writers to participate more. This submission is an attempt to flesh out the lore of the planets the Faction Admins saw as "Core Mandalorian Worlds" and thus contribute to the lore-based roleplay we are trying to encourage.

All measurements in this submission need to be in metric, please.

Gilamar Skirata said:
Incredible Eyesight Range and field of view

Gilamar Skirata said:
Near-Sighted
Those two contradict one another. Near-sighted, you can't see stuff unless it's really, really close to the eyes.

Also how big is the eyesight range and field of view?

Gilamar Skirata said:
Adaptive Sight
How so?

Gilamar Skirata said:
Extremely Empathetic with regards to the Force
How is this a weakness, exactly?

Gilamar Skirata said:
Inability to Swim
Not a weakness here for a bird. Flight makes that unnecessary. This bird has no reason to swim.

The bird needs additional weaknesses added. As it stands the ones there, need to be adjusted, better defined in the case of empathy.

Gilamar Skirata said:
help hunt and capture or kill Jedi
Detect Jedi, sure. But kill, not so much. The way that reads, it sounds very much like it can actually kill a Jedi. Given it's small size, I don't see how that is possible.

Gilamar Skirata said:
days without sleeping
That's a strength to add to the list.

Gilamar Skirata said:
strange kind of Echolocation in the Force, using the spheres in which there is a void or absence in the Force as a prime location for hunting its main prey, the ever plentiful Ysalimir
I don't see how this works out, since Ysalimir form very large bubbles kilometers wide.

Gilamar Skirata said:
Despite being solitary creatures, the Eternity Owl as been observed by Jedi researchers to quickly form Force bonds with mates and other force sensitives.
Why form a bond with another force sensitive creature, if it's a solitary animal? Exceptions for it's mates.

Gilamar Skirata said:
Now the animal is found throughout Mandalorian worlds
So it originated on Mykyr, but now is found on many worlds? Can I get a list added to this sub of what worlds it now resides on.

Gilamar Skirata said:
Designation: Non-Sentient
Given the Force Meld, with creatures outside its species, and the limited telepathy - Semi-Sentient would fit better.

I'm also having trouble seeing how this species developed it's force skills on Mykyr, given the sheer size of Ysalimir bubbles.

[member="Gilamar Skirata"]

Gilamar Skirata

Coryth Elaris said:
Those two contradict one another. Near-sighted, you can't see stuff unless it's really, really close to the eyes. Also how big is the eyesight range and field of view?
Edited, sorry haha

Coryth Elaris said:
Also how big is the eyesight range and field of view?
No more than 1Km, edited.

Coryth Elaris said:
Because this creature goes for days without sleep, its eyes adapt to sudden changes in light easily and quickly; Edited for clarification

Coryth Elaris said:
How is this a weakness, exactly?
If someone were to use the bird the way I think they would, they would need to create a powerful force bond and force meld, but they are so empathetic that physical harm to the bonded in this state harms the bird as well. On a larger scale, they are very sensetive to sudden shifts in the Force so an entire forest might erupt into cries and hoots if say a planet was destroyed, or if a thought bomb went off somewhere that sort of thing. I see it as a weakness in that it is easily affected by trauma through the Force.

Coryth Elaris said:
Detect Jedi, sure. But kill, not so much. The way that reads, it sounds very much like it can actually kill a Jedi. Given it's small size, I don't see how that is possible.
The way you cut it, it sounds that way but if someone were reading it would be obvious it meant that they aid in the capture or death of said person and aren't the direct cause. But also remember, the Strill is smaller than most dogs and it kills deer sized animals. Small monkeys maim (and sometimes kill) people all the time. Never underestimate a wild animal, especially a carnivore.

Coryth Elaris said:
I don't see how this works out, since Ysalimir form very large bubbles kilometers wide.
Following the example of the Vornskr. Though this is only the case in large groups with a single one being able to produce a field UP TO 10 meters in diameter. I also mentioned that it isn't their only food source, just the one they evolved to hunt, but they do eat other things.

Coryth Elaris said:
Why form a bond with another force sensitive creature, if it's a solitary animal? Exceptions for it's mates.
Is this a "go into more detail"? Or is it just a question? If the later its out of curiosity. They don't like others of their species much and the only other FS creature is the Vornskr, a main predator. A Force User would have to make first contact though.

Coryth Elaris said:
So it originated on Mykyr, but now is found on many worlds? Can I get a list added to this sub of what worlds it now resides on.
I purposefully left this vague because as the Mandalorians gain planets the list would change. Assume that small numbers nest on every world in that orange cloud with the biggest populations being on Mykyr

Coryth Elaris said:
Given the Force Meld, with creatures outside its species, and the limited telepathy - Semi-Sentient would fit better.
They lack the ability to reason, speak, and manipulate tools. Vornskr are also Force Sensitive but are non-sentient. Everything these creatures do is based off instinct. I thought I had specified in the post, but I edited the telepathy to images and sensory details. No words.

Coryth Elaris said:
I'm also having trouble seeing how this species developed it's force skills on Mykyr, given the sheer size of Ysalimir bubbles.
The bubbles were a response to the way it was being hunted by vornskry, as it says in the Ysalimir wiki page. Also, Vornskr. I'm just following a precedent.

Coryth Elaris said:
The bird needs additional weaknesses added. As it stands the ones there, need to be adjusted, better defined in the case of empathy.

Do you have any suggestions? I mean...its just a bird, its not like its a Sithspawn Jedi Killer. Animals aren't meant to work on a weakness per strength 1:1 ratio, that's not how biology works, its not a piece of tech.

[member="Coryth Elaris"]

Gilamar Skirata said:
.5 Feet to 1 Foot taller than average than Mykyr Cousin
Metric, please.

Suggestions for weakness: It would be a heavier bird given wing size and height. So you can use it's weight as a weakness. Taking off would be slow. Easier to pick off at that point.

Perhaps they have a habit of gorging themselves on too large a catch, making it unable to get off the ground, leaving it vulnerable to other predators.

Or perhaps they are driven crazy by prolonged absence of the force. So if it were to be severed from the force permanently it would go nuts over time.

At the same time I'm asking for the weaknesses to be added, you can easily add razor sharp claws/talons to the strengths. Even crushing power with their grip, or powerful bite and I'm happy to see those added since it fits the creature.

Inability to swim, still isn't a weakness as written right now. Sure, if it's a heavy bird and could drown if it got weighed down in water. Or if they happen to hunt fish and dive too deep. But I see no mention of either. All I see with their hunting patterns is they hunt other small animals. Now if they do go for fish ... If that is the case with this bird and is the reason for it's inability to swim is a weakness, then okay. That makes sense, however that needs to be detailed out.

Gilamar Skirata said:
The way you cut it, it sounds that way but if someone were reading it would be obvious it meant that they aid in the capture or death of said person and aren't the direct cause.
I showed that paragraph to a couple others. And they saw the same thing I did with regards to killing. It needs to get edited to be more clear on that nature. It's more than just me seeing it that way.

Gilamar Skirata said:
If someone were to use the bird the way I think they would, they would need to create a powerful force bond and force meld, but they are so empathetic that physical harm to the bonded in this state harms the bird as well. On a larger scale, they are very sensetive to sudden shifts in the Force so an entire forest might erupt into cries and hoots if say a planet was destroyed, or if a thought bomb went off somewhere that sort of thing. I see it as a weakness in that it is easily affected by trauma through the Force.
Okay, on the Empathy, I need that detailed within the sub. That explanation is what I was looking for. Because yes, I can see that as a weakness. I needed clarification. That's why I asked.

Gilamar Skirata said:
Is this a "go into more detail"? Or is it just a question? If the later its out of curiosity. They don't like others of their species much and the only other FS creature is the Vornskr, a main predator. A Force User would have to make first contact though.
That's a go into more detail. Because it seems a little contradictory as written now.

Gilamar Skirata said:
I purposefully left this vague because as the Mandalorians gain planets the list would change. Assume that small numbers nest on every world in that orange cloud with the biggest populations being on Mykyr
As for the planets, I need a detailed list. The population isn't just suddenly going to fluctuate and move planets with what territory you guys have. Migration, doesn't work like that. Especially not on a galactic scale. Never mind that all those environments are not going to be identical and I can promise some won't be good for these guys to live in. So pick out a handful of planets for them to be based on, living in the wild on - and have them as pets/hunting companions on other worlds.

Gilamar Skirata said:
Following the example of the Vornskr. Though this is only the case in large groups with a single one being able to produce a field UP TO 10 meters in diameter. I also mentioned that it isn't their only food source, just the one they evolved to hunt, but they do eat other things.
If that's the way it is, hunting Ysalimir like the Vornskr, it needs to be detailed out. You aren't exactly descriptive here. Once they find that force dead spot, how do they go about hunting from there? I would assume keen hearing, and sense of smell, since vision close up isn't that great. Because I can get finding it through the dead spots. Something akin to spotting a black blob in the middle of a brightly lit room. It's after that where it gets a little uncertain.

Gilamar Skirata said:
its just a bird
It's a force sensitive bird, with the ability to force meld, and limited telepathy. One that can be used as a companion when hunting to aid in the detection, capture and killing of Force Sensitives. This leads it to being under greater scrutiny than 'just a bird'.

I'd like to ask you to please try keep comments constructive and on topic. I am trying to help you get this passed.

This isn't tech, sure. However, it's my job to see that it's balanced as a creature and not overly powerful at the same time not lacking in sensible weaknesses. I expect strengths and weaknesses that match the species created. I don't expect a 1:1 ratio. But I do expect true weaknesses.

Also don't @mention me within the sub itself. That needs to be removed, please.

Gilamar Skirata

Coryth Elaris said:
I don't expect a 1:1 ratio. But I do expect true weaknesses.

Coryth Elaris said:
you can easily add razor sharp claws/talons to the strengths.
These statements are contradictory. If such obvious things such as sharp talons on a bird of prey can be counted as a strength, the inability to swim should count as a weakness as well. And in other subs you've judged of mine it was also very 1:1 ratio of weaknesses and strengths, HOWEVER, the post has been edited.

Coryth Elaris said:
One that can be used as a companion when hunting to aid in the detection, capture and killing of Force Sensitives.
So just because it can be used to find Force Sensitives by non-Force sensitives it is being so painstakingly scrutinized? #JediPrivilage #AllCharactersmatter But on a more serious note, the Vornskr and its Chaos-Canon cousin both do this and can KILL them and this tiny owl is at risk of being broken?

Coryth Elaris said:
Also don't @mention me within the sub itself. That needs to be removed, please.
This was an accident, I had the edit tab open when I was trying to @mention you in the reply box and it plopped it in the sub, my apologies.

Gilamar Skirata said:
.5 Feet to 1 Foot taller than average than Mykyr Cousin

Gilamar Skirata said:
Average height of adults: 1-2.3 Feet
All measurements must be in metric. I've asked twice now.

The reason I don't view inability to swim as a weakness is this; When is it ever going to attempt to swim? When it can fly over a body of water with ease. If it never needs to go in water, the inability to swim would never effect it. Hence not a weakness. It would be like saying you or me were allergic to moon dust, when neither one of use would ever step foot on the moon.

It is being scrutinized like I would any other submission that has something unique and odd about it. Force sensitives of any variety in species get scrutinized more than other subs, because they tend to get abused.

As for the Vornskr, they are about 3 feet tall. They have venomous tails, a nasty bite and the temperament of a ticked off pitbull that hasn't eaten in a week. They stun their prey, then shred it while it can't move. A bird, isn't going to be able to do that in the same manner. Cut you up a good deal, bite the crap out of you, peck an eye out sure. But it has little other attack methods.

Really trying to help you get this passed, but you are making it incredibly difficult being so argumentative at every turn. I really only wanted to see you detail your weaknesses out, and change out the inability to swim for something else - that was a true weakness that it would actually encounter. I was happy and fine with the rest of them. You didn't have to add every weakness I suggested, just one would have been fine. I offered several, to give you options to select from, since you couldn't think of anything else. I offered extra things to add to strengths because I could see you were unhappy about me asking and wanted to help you out there too. Largely fine with most things, just needed clarification and a few details added into the sub. Truly, trying to help here.

Now, that said, I need you to go back review my previous posts for edits. You've really only addressed the weaknesses but nothing else I've asked about. You've changed the strength and weaknesses up top. But there's nothing in the body of the text changed aside from the altering of the killing bit in the first paragraph. Some of the weaknesses you added need to be detailed in (should you choose to keep them all), under General Behavior because they would be part of how the creature behaves.

Gilamar Skirata

Coryth Elaris said:
When is it ever going to attempt to swim? When it can fly over a body of water with ease. If it never needs to go in water, the inability to swim would never effect it.
I would wholly disagree. Just because it would in the wild never have a reason to be near or in a body of water doesn't mean that domesticated it wouldn't face such issues. It is completely valid to have as a weakness considering if a bounty hunter tasked the bird to find something and track it it wouldn't be able to follow its prey into the water. Or maybe someone owned one in one of the MANY underwater cities, transport would be a top concern making sure that it made it to the city safely because it can't swim.

Ie. Weaknesses don't only effect creatures in the wild. If that was the case we wouldn't have to put how durable creatures are when we say "tough hides". By your logic that would be descriptive enough because they would never deal with blasters in the wild. A weakness is a weakness, regardless of how likely it is to occur, because we have no idea how or where or when the creature will be used and its better to check the boxes as you've been having me do.

Either way, edited. Sorry about the metric, I've lost my edits like four times and I keep forgetting to change that. Also added to the general behavior.

[member="Coryth Elaris"]

A weakness, is a weakness when its likely to commonly effect the creature. Or be encountered in the everyday - like blasters. Rare occurrences don't justify it. Especially rare instances where it's not going to be encountered in an RP setting more than possibly, maybe once or twice ever.

Anyway, thank you for the edits. I'll pass this along for secondary approval.

[member="Gilamar Skirata"] | [member="Valiens Nantaris"]

I will approve this, but I am most disappointed with your aggressive posture throughout this judging. My Judge is only trying to help you, arguing and being stubborn helps no one.

Enjoy your very cute owl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom