Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Cryastium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Singing_Ridge.jpg
(Blade's Edge Mountains - World of Warcraft)​

Intent: To make a unique metal element that would make sense being from Crystalsong and a fun material to utilize in weapons, armor and the like.
Development Thread: None
Manufacturer: Not Applicable
Model: Cryastium
Affiliation: Crystalsong
Modularity: Can be smelted at extremely high temperatures, and forged or casted
Production: Limited (requires dev thread)
Material: Carbon-based minerals and alloys
Strength: Significantly stronger that Durasteel but marginally weaker than Titanium; seems illusively harder than density suggests due to molecular structure

Description: Hailing from the planet of Crystalsong, a world known for its extensive crystalline form in everything it has, Cryastium is a rare metal which also takes on a translucent crystal-like form. It is not found anywhere else in the galaxy and is even somewhat rare on Crystalsong, though it is actually moderately abundant under the thick surface of the moon Cryast. Cryastium is a very hard, extremely lightweight metal with high rigidity, though it tends to fracture like glass under intense pressure loads. It is particularly keen on refracting light and is sometimes used in Narranic cores due to its harmonious nature. It has a blueish hue with pink iridescence in its pure form. It is also capable of being enhanced by Sith Alchemy, though as a byproduct of Dark taint, it tends to fog in opacity and turn an eerie magenta-red hue, radiating with a hazed blood-red aura and become more prone to violent kinetic reverberations; this makes the crafting of curved blades extremely impractical as the molecular alignment of Cryastium is naturally square, resulting in such blades being prone to fracture during abuse.

Cryastium has frequently seen most use in crafting exotic weapons and armor in the past. It's naturally refractive, crystalline form makes it very good at resisting blasters, which it can take several hits from before fully deteriorating, sometimes even dispersing (not reflecting) lower-power beams. It is also very reliable as a lightsaber-resistant armor material, as it's high melting temperature and dense molecular construction make it slightly harder to cut through than more common metals. Bladed weaponry of Cryastium usually retain their edge much longer than conventional metal due to the hardness, but are in turn much harder to sharpen. Blunt force weapons such as hammers and morning stars made powerful weapons but must be carefully crafted into certain forms as they may be prone to shattering under heavy loads of impact force. Conventional weapons made out of Cryastium are slightly lightsaber-resistant, but not completely so unless through alchemy, able to take repeated glancing blows from a saber but unable to endure sustained contact without causing substantial damage to the weapon or destroying it entirely. Most items of Cryastium are made at right angles or in layers, as curves are usually structural weaknesses on the molecular level that can cause an item to shatter when impacted.

Good For:
Weapons
Blaster Armor
Alchemy
Jewelry
Refractor
Lightsaber Crystal

Bad For:
Vibro-Blade
Ballistic Armor
Explosives
Curves

Alrighty. Let's get to this.

• First of all, the production would be "limited." That's what we do with special requirements. Cortosis and Beskar are both "limited." We just like to keep the terminology consistent.
  • Secondly, I would like some more description of this. Descriptions of its effect on blaster weaponry, smashing vs bladed weapons, lightsabers would be nice. This is a very good start. I just kinda want more of that good start! :p

Otherwise, this is very reasonable. If you'll do the requested edits and tag me, we'll get this approved and locked away. An interesting material that I can see a lot of good coming from.
@[member="Særa Ayña Savan"]

Edits requested over skype, logged for posterity:
  • Lightsaber resistance clarified.
  • Blaster reflection removed.
  • Hardness in relation to common materials.

This is a weird and rare material with some very good properties and some drawbacks. I like the composite nature that defies our understanding of metallurgy. I think that's really Star Wars-y. Naturally, the second someone tries to abuse this material, it will be pulled for revision. Either way, approved. I look forward to seeing it in action. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom