Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Critique and Feedback on Myself

As a carry over from the Order of the Righteous Flame Feedback and Critique thread here.

I know that I have a less than stellar reputation and I've gotten into a few rants and spats with other writers. My behavior also hasn't been the best when it comes to certain aspects.

Thus I am opening myself to the critique and feedback of others.

How can I better myself when it comes to the site?

[member="Amelia Sorenn-Syrush"]

If I had any one critique its that I'd like to see you stick with one idea/concept longer than it takes for you to get frustrated with it. I often see you putting up new factions or ideas for groups or orders. You are clearly filled with creativity, but I think if you focused on one thing and focused on making it REALLY good, you'd see a lot of progress. Factions and ideas have their ups and downs, and some work better than others - but none of them will work if you don't stick with them and work through to success.

Other than that, from what I've seen of your writing you're creative and willing to push the narrative and story along, and bravo for that because many don't.

I will echo what [member="Matsu Xiangu"] says to a degree.

I think you have gotten a lot better at sticking to a certain concept. You’ve stuck by your Templars, and that’s good.

There are two other areas which I feel I can critique you on constructively.

First, you get very frustrated with people. The status from earlier today is key for that. Your resentment of other’s success and people not flocking to you is hindering you greatly. People in general react negatively to that.

Second, I still don’t get that you’re a team player. You have great ideas and concepts, but you’re not willing to be a follower in order to be a leader. Credit where it’s due, you did try, but not for very long. Basically, you followed only so long as you needed to try your next concept. If you’re not willing to work with people in a faction, why would they work with you?

So I’ll suggest what I did last time; be the subordinate, either in a major or minor faction. Put in the hard yards, get your name out there in PVE and PVP. People will know you better and be willing to dip into your plots.

Jsc

Disney's Princess

This isn't so much a critique as, things I do to help myself control my own anxiety disorder IRL. Which. Has a lot to do with how quickly I succeed or fail at any task here.
  • Exercise every morning for at least 30 mins. Put all of my frustration into the punching bag /squats /crossfit /whatever.
  • Never be in more than 8 threads at one time. That's my 'burn out' number this year.
  • Never run a Faction without a few backup Admins. If I have a bad week? I'll let them take over while I cool off.
  • Don't join fast threads. If the thread requires a post every 24 or 48 hours? That's too fast for me.
  • Take vacations. A week or two away from the site can put my whole entertainment budget back into good perspective.
  • Date often. Nothing helps to make my life a better place than sharing it with a woman /partner.

I don't talk about my mental health often. Probably because it's nobodies business. But. I can tell that other people notice when I'm having a bad day /week /whatever. I've linked that my own success IRL will determine my success and friendships on this site. The healthier, wealthier, and wiser I am away from the screen? The stronger and more generous I am at participating on Chaos.

Anyway. Cheers and good luck. It's a madhouse out there. :D

In the more recent months I've been focused on only the Order of the Righteous Flame. In the past half year and more I've even been limiting myself to just a handful of characters; which I've taken down to only focusing on three. Amelia, Ocano, and The Blood Queen. That way I could focus more on a few to ensure that each has quality over quantity. [member="Matsu Xiangu"]

Yes, I do get frustrated with people. It is a personal flaw that I still struggle with; that I am attempting to wrangle, yet it still gets the better of me at times. I accept that I do have that problem, and it is one that I have continued to attempt to correct. Some days I can bite my tongue, other days I can't and need to rant.

I will say this much though, as I know the attempt at me being in a faction that you're talking about. I have struggled with finding a way to answer this without it sounding like an excuse or pushing the blame onto others; so I will write it as the point of view that I saw. Yes, I made a character and joined the Republic when it was a Major Faction. No, I did not leave that faction or followed it for as long as needed until my next idea (as you've mentioned). While I was part of the Republic Major Faction (once more this is from my point of view), I saw that my character was often ignored or otherwise felt that the character was being written off. I had only one or two individuals within the faction actively writing with me and I tried to keep a level head and stay on board.

When ever I joined a Faction thread or an Invasion or Dominion thread, it always felt the same. It felt that I was only there to write for myself and that my actions were only for myself and that no one cared that my character (or even I myself, the writer) was participating in the thread. I felt unwelcome as a member of the Republic Major Faction, so rather than sticking around to continue feeling like anything I was writing was being ignored, I left the faction.

Again, that was from my point of view; and I could have just as easily misread or misjudged the situation. It could have just as easily hurt even more by people picking up the view that I didn't want to put the time or effort into the Republic and that character. I did, I wanted that character to be part of the Republic Faction. I wanted to help that Faction and work with its writers; it just felt that only one or two others in the faction wanted me to be there. I attempted to work in a Major faction and I felt unwelcome. Once more I can agree that I could have read that situation as wrong, and that others reading this may be thinking that I'm just trying to push the blame on others (when I'm not). I did try to work with others and it only felt like that help wasn't wanted.

I have since gone on to write up the Blood Queen (and while as of late work and IRL obligations have kept my from focusing on writing) it is still a character that I want to develop. I've even limited myself to working with only three characters as mentioned above to focus my attention. [member="Valiens Nantaris"]

The potential mental health issue I could end up dealing with is a bit more of a problem than social anxiety. While your list may help you, much of what you suggest just wouldn't work for me. Hell, I barely have time to get on this site any more let alone has 30mins to exercise. Likewise it was only recently that I had a relationship end and even though it wasn't a bad breakup, there are still feelings of anger and frustration that I associate with it thus I've decided that dating isn't the best for me at this time. I appreciate the pointers and the help that you're offering; I'm just not sure that it would aid me as it has aided you. [member="Jay Scott Clark"]

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Amelia Sorenn-Syrush said:
I appreciate the pointers and the help that you're offering; I'm just not sure that it would aid me as it has aided you.
That's cool. :)

Sooo... Then what do you feel would help you become a better contributor to the site?

Jsc

Disney's Princess

Nah. That's fine. At the end of the day, it's your game anyway.

Well. Stay positive and keep writing good stuff. Time will do the rest. Best wishes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom