Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Calnennore

Status
Not open for further replies.

thalaasa__ocean_queen_by_steveargyle.jpg

By: Steve Argyle
http://steveargyle.deviantart.com/art/Thalaasa-Ocean-Queen-123130896

Name: Calnennore, also called Thallassans

Designation: Sentient

Homeworld: Gaeren III, also called Thallassa

Language: Lalambe, Basic, Minnisiat

Average height of adults: 1.8 m - 2.2 m

Skin color: White, Blue, Green, with various stripes or patterning coloring dependent on symbiotes

Hair color: Black, Green, Blue, Purple -- Rare Red or Blonde

Breathes: Oxygen or Dissolved Oxygen

Strengths:
  • Poisonous
    Hemoneurolitc -- primarily used for hunting -- biologically, it takes a lot of energy to produce and it is in small quantity, but potent to slow fast moving fish down
  • Calnennore Blood has an enzyme that will break the toxin down, or heat can destabilize the chemical

[*]Can Breathe Under Water
  • 5 gills along each side of the neck
  • Must remain moist or infection and breathing issues may result

[*]Excellent Swimmers
  • Up to 11 km per hour (about 7 miles at top speed)
  • Average cruising speed is about 4 - 5 km per hour

(Notes: If you are interested in biology on earth fastest current humans vs. dolphins)
  • Ages Slowly
    Reproductive maturity begins as early as 200 years
  • Gestation period is approximately 20 months
  • Menopause typically begins around 1200 years
  • Low fertility in males past 1300 years
  • Considered adolescent until 300 years -- though may appear to be an adult to other races anywhere between 150 - 300 years
  • Cannot Hybridize -- at least not successfully with viable offspring

[*]High Metabolism
  • Average body temperature is approximately 37*C
  • High level of cellular regeneration -- Related to healing rate and aging process

[*]Relatively Quick Healing Capability -- in proper conditions
  • Dependent on level and control of Force Sensitivity, however in general:
    Wound healing can occur within days rather than weeks for shallow cuts or abrasions with proper nutrition
  • Skeletal Musculo injuries can heal within weeks with proper nutrition and therapy
  • Resilient towards infections, typically to native, viral, bacterial, or fungal -- due to potentially high parasite load in a less domesticated environment and constant introduction to immune system

[*]Force Sensitive
  • Highly variable among individuals, but possibly like the Vornskrs or Myrkr, the Calnennore use the Force to sense prey

Weaknesses:
  • Force Dependent
    To obtain food and maintain their levels of cellular generation
  • Without the Force, the Calnennore may not be able to survive for long

[*]Dependent on Aquatic or Moist Environments
  • Calnennore cannot physically survive for more than a few minutes on planets like Mustafar or Tatooine without specialized equipment.

[*]Highly Susceptible to Intense Energy Strikes
  • Energy blasts, such as Force lightning, natural lightning, stun blasts, etc. seemingly short circuit the Calnennore nervous system. Typically individuals slip into a comatose state or may die without medical attention.

[*]Webbed Feet and Hands
  • While the degree of webbing is dependent on the individual, walking and dexterity may be hindered on land

[*]Dependent on Symbiotes for Full Nutrition
  • Microscopic creatures, similar to dinoflagellates on earth, live in their skin and hair
  • These creatures are photosynthetic and dependent on their host for protection
  • The symbiote shares nutrients with the host
  • Responsible for color patterns in skin and hair
  • Will reject from an unhealthy host

[*]Can Easily Absorb Toxins through Skin
  • Due to the connection with their symbiotes, the skin is thinner and more porous for nutrient transfer than human skin

[*]Reproduces very slowly
  • Low population size
  • Low species diversity
  • Low rate of mutation

[*]High Metabolism
  • Requires food every couple of hours
  • Symbiotes may reject host if nutrients are not available

[*]Allergic to Bacta
  • A dip in the bacta tank will may cause anaphylactic shock
  • A less severe reaction is blistering of the skin, followed by anaphylaxis upon next exposure
    Bacta in the gills will result in life-long damage to the function of the gills and future breathing difficulty

[*]Allergic to Kolto
  • A dip in the kolto tank will may cause anaphylactic shock
  • A less severe reaction is blistering of the skin, followed by anaphylaxis upon next exposure
    Kolto in the gills will result in life-long damage to the function of the gills and future breathing difficulty

Distinctions:
  • Extra Jointed Appendage on Forearm called Fin Blade -- Extra Joint at wrist that swings free of the elbow with skin that stretches between bone and elbow Bone is extremely sharp.
  • A poisonous gland rests at the base of the wrist that coats the bone as it is flung open.
  • Gills -- Five along neck line
  • Wide Mouths -- Full of sharp teeth
  • Large Eyes -- contain 2 irises
  • Flattened Noses
  • Webbed Feet and Hands
  • Wide hips and backs
  • Seemingly Elongated

Average Lifespan: 1500 - 2000 Galactic Standard Years

Races: Three Main Races:
  • Gea'Nen -- Almost fully aquatic
  • Ring'Nen -- Typically found in the poles where it is quite frigid -- adapted for extreme cold
  • Ada'Nen -- highly Terrestrial group often coastal, better adapted to live on land, often found in tree houses near coastal jungles

Estimated Population: Not common at all. Evolved on one world, tend to stick to it -- however exploration and expansion was attempted. Some cultural exiles distributed among Outer Rim Territories.

Diet: Typically raw fish and mollusk eaters, but require nutrients obtained by photosynthetic symbiotes living in their skin. Ada'Nen are also accustomed to eating fruit. Ring'Nen prefer cooked foods, most often other mammals on the ice pack. Gae'Nen farm algae for consumption as well. They need to eat a lot. Bacta and Kolto are known allergens. It appears that many algae, or aquatic plant derivatives, not native to Gaeren III cause severe to moderate allergic reactions in Calnennore.

Communication: Telepathic empathy with many body gestures and some verbal communication --> Lalambe

Culture: The races of the Calnennore share a nomadic and tribal lifestyle, an insatiable curiosity about life, and an easy going humor. Typically, they keep to themselves and want to have nothing to do with the galaxy as a whole. They are a long lived race, who reproduce slowly -- children are considered precious. Death is not revered or feared, in general, instead the Calnennore chose to celebrate life in its cyclic patterns. They are in touch with the natural cycles of their planet and have devised technology and society to mesh with those cycles rather than act counter current to them. The primary religion of the Calnennore is the Nen -- which is analogous to the Force to the rest of the galaxy. There are various sects of those who teach or pursue a better understanding of the Nen, but the most regarded sect is the Nenya who can actively harness the power of the Nen in order to protect the people of Gaeren III. While the Nenya are revered as protectors and wield some control of the planet through the Roche Council, they are kept in check within and outside of their ranks. Some members have been exiled to other planets after trying to disrupt the natural way of life. War is not an unknown concept to the Ada'Nen race of Calnennore. Living in proximity to patches of land many have had conflicts with another species calling the planet home. The Circumanka, a sentient raptor like creatures, evolved to better inhabit the lands of Gaeren III and do not share territory with the Calnennore. Often the two species clash violently with one another.

Technology level: The Ring'Nen have made the farthest leaps and bounds in terms of technologies. The largest ship building operations and technological advancements occur at the poles. Calnennore were a space faring race in the past, but have since taken solace in remaining at home. Still, sciencetific advancements and exploration are pursued, primarily by the Universities in the North and South Poles. The Gae'Nen are the furthest groups from technological society. These tribes prefer to stay isolated throughout the open oceans and scattered islands. The headquarters of the Nenya are found near the equatorial coastal cities where many of the Ada'Nen tribes explore various mysteries in engineering and medicine.

General behavior: Calnennore love color. They are highly visually tuned predators, and they act like it. They are almost always hungry and never pass on offered food. They are scoffing of vegetarians/herbivores however, and may make poor jokes about vegetarians being the entre. They also have trouble finding their own limitations, being highly competitive, and stubborn. To other species, the Calnennore may seem aloof or standoffish, since Calnennore are generally xenophobic. Despite the perceived isolation, Calnennore can be warm, affectionate, humorous, and trusting towards others after extreme scrutiny. Since they are used to talking through body language or telepathically, Calnennore are seen as fidgety and quiet. Despite the lack of verbal communication, Calnennore seem to love puns.

History: Because their Binary Star System is hidden near a nebula in the Unknown Regions, the Calnennore lived in isolation for a long time before developing the means to travel through space. It is unclear when exactly they discovered space travel, but it may have been prior to many species in the Outter Rim territories. The Calnennore of Old had a superiority complex and were bent on conquering new territory with their new technologies. It was quickly discovered that other species outnumbered them vastly, so the Calnennore returned to their homeworld to devise a new strategy. While some were still bent on expansion, others were content with staying at home. The location of their star system was discovered by a Jedi explorer during the era of the Galactic Republic but was heavily bombarded during the Clone Wars. It is undetermined if there were any survivors.

More Current Events: After the bombardment, several small populations survived on the planet. It took several hundred years before regrowth could be considered a population boom. It was a short lived boom that took a direct hit from the Galug Virus. The planet became virtually unpopulated and the Ada'Nen Race all but extinct. The hardest hit were the elders and the precious few newborns on the planet. Those off world had to fend for themselves -- any ship attempting to land was immediately discouraged.

The spread was devastating and several scientists from the Ring'Nen tribes tried to tinker with the genome to develop resistance. They were ultimately unsuccessful at producing a cure, however there were several hundred children borne of the process resistant to the virus but also borne with consequential birth defects. Blindness was common as well as deformed fin blades as far as physical deformations were concerned. Children with more scarring or hindering deformities were often shunned or put to death. But the damage was done, and imperfection began to dawn on the Calnennore. The plague began to reshape the social construct of the remaining Calnennore, the governing body was removed, and the sharing of information ceased as if the tribes were instigating a dark age on the planet.

Nearly 400 hundred years after the Roche Council had been dismantled due to the events of plague, the tribes sent envoys to reunite again at the Roche, a mountain near the equator, and the old seat of the Roche Council. There was little trust among the factions, all with shorter lives and even shorter tempers. The fact that the Circumanka survived and thrived throughout the course of the plague did not ease tensions. Fingers or knives were immediately pointed towards any rival when the disappearances occurred that evening after long talks.

Notable Player-Characters:
  • Syren
  • Avarath
  • Aydyn
  • Shalenya Midas
  • Teluni Var

Intent: I developed this species because I love Star Wars and I did not have access to Wookiepedia as a child. After I developed Syren, and discovered the internet, I found that my character did not fit into any of the Legends or Canon Species. I can always roll a new canon species character, but I love to write with Sy and a few other Calnennore that I have developed. I have no problem if anyone else wants to play around with the species either, I just ask that you pay attention to their biology and cultural nuances.

[member="Syren"]

So everything looks fairly good I must say for a first post :) the only things I need mention of are in the history section of the species on how they dealt with the Gulag Virus and the Netherworld events as they affected near everyone in the galaxy. If you need to find them, there is a timeline under the holonet tab that details those two events.

Holy crap that is excellent! I was about to write the effects of something like your Netherworld event for Sy on the site I came from.

I need to find a little more information about the Galug Virus -- I feel like saying "the Nenya used something like Force Healing" to defeat the bug is a cop out.

Edits Pending.

[member="Syren"]

The Gulag almost always killed those that became infected with it, the only way to counter it really was to quarantine those who had it and try and protect as many people as a civilization could

[member="Syren"]
This is an excellent submission, especially from a new person.

However, I would like you to briefly elaborate on the strengths and weaknesses, just a line or two for each of the ones which play a role in PVP. IE, how potent is the poison etc.

Let me know when you're ready and I'll review this again.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Added more information --- but let me know if I need to further flesh anything out... or better explain things

I am trying to keep the biology part of my brain from spinning off topic wildly to describe certain nuances. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom