Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book recommendations?

Really would like to start reading again and more often. Biographies, however interesting, aren't holding my attention as they once did. Really looking for some good reading, whether they're standalone books or a series. I'm interested in Sci fi, history, anything that has an expansive structure. Authors I've enjoyed have been GRRM, Vince Flynn, Tom Clancy, Erin Hunter, as well as the usual SW authors.

Anyone have any recommendations? Star Wars take priority, but I'm open to anything :)

New Book, Star Wars, Lost Stars. Best of the year. Explains the story behind the commander of the SSD on Jakku.
Legacy of Ashes: A history of the CIA
Any of the Civil War books by Shelby Foote.
Enemy at the Gates

Lone survivor, the story of SEAL TEAM 6. Darned good book. I didn't like the movie adaptation. It didnt catch the actual intent of the story. True story as well.

American Lion is good as well, if you want a look into how hardcore Andrew Jackson was.

I will never not recommend Paolo Bacigalupi whenever someone asks for authors to check out. He's only written a handful of books, with The Drowned Cities and Ship Breaker being two books that are loosely tied together due to taking place in the same universe. The Water Knife is his most recent book, the only two others he's written being The Windup Girl and The Doubt Factory, both of which I've yet to read. Those first three that I have read are all dystopic novels. Typically I'm not a huge fan of the genre given how cliched its become, but he presents it in a new manner that hasn't quite been explored, or at least in my opinion.

[member="Gael bar Ammon"]

Runi Verin

Two pounds shy of a bomb.

Fantasy:
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (and its sequel Red Seas Under Red Skies) by Scott Lynch
  • The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
  • The Wheel of Time (all of it) by Robert Jordan
  • Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell
  • The Thousand Names by Django Wexler
Modern Fantasy:
  • Hexed: The Sisters of Witchdown by Michael Nelson (really only good if you liked Fall of Cthulhu)
  • Rivers of London (and its sequels) by Ben Aaronovitch
  • Fated by Benedict Jacka
  • Dresden Series by Jim Butcher
  • American Gods by Neil Gaiman (almost worth the buzz around it)
Star wars:
  • X-Wing series by Michael A Stackpole (And Aaron Allston)
  • Scoundrels by Timothy Zhan (also read Winner Lose All)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton
  • Tarkin by James Luceno
  • Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne

Zelda Tarys

My Hair Isn't Dyed

Naomi Novik's stuff is fun. The Temeraire series is an alternate version of the Napoleonic Wars with sentient dragons being used as military machines.

Dresden Files by Jim Butcher always comes highly recommended.
Legacy of the Aldenata by John Ringo is an excellent take on the aliens invade earth genre, and the first two books are free on the Kindle store.
The Ring of Fire series by Eric Flint takes a small West Virginia mining town and transports it to 1632 Germany.

Shadow Hand
Top Poster Of Month

I recommend the classic three part series Darth Bane: Path of Destruction. Three books about Darth Bane the Founder of the Rule of Two. They're great reads if you haven't read them, pick them up.

I love getting asked this question..read H.I.V.E. by Mark Walden. Eight books in the series with a ninth on its way next June, I've never made a decision I felt so good about as reading this. First one is a liiiitle slow, but trust me, by book 2 (Overlord Protocol), you will not rest until you've finished the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom