Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boneshatter-class Assault Frigate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
zKTUuHW.jpg
Image Source: Here I guess
Affiliation: The One Sith
Manufacturer: Titan Industries/The One Sith
Model: Boneshatter-class Assault Frigate
Modularity: N/A
Production: Mass Production
Material: Durasteel, Transparisteel, the usual stuff.
Classification: Assault Frigate
Length: 400m
Width: 62m
Height: 97m
Armament: (~18 Fwd, 9 on the beam, 9 aft)
- 1 x Composite Beam Nose Cannon, equivalent to 3 composite beam heavy turbolasers (12)
- 2 x Long Range Turbolasers (10)
- 4 x Heavy Dual Turbolasers (16)
- 4 x Ion Cannons (4)
- 5 x Turbolasers (5)
- 2 x Assault Concussion Missile Launchers (16)
- 4 x Concussion Missile Launchers (4)
- 4 x Quad Laser Turrets
- 4 x Antimissile Octets
Hangar:
- One small squadron of 8 Fighters (typically the smaller and cheaper variety)
Special Features:

• Composite Beam Cannon

• Sprint Thrusters

• Communications Array

• Encryption Network

• Escape Pods

• Holonet Transceiver

• Standard Deflector Shield Generator

• Standard Detention Cells

• Standard Life Support Systems

• Standard Navigational Systems

• Standard Sensor Array

• Standard Targeting Systems

• Tractor Beams
Maneuverability Rating: 9
Speed Rating: 11/7 in the sprint
Hyperdrive Class: 2.0 with a 10 backup

Strengths:

• Incredible close-range firepower

• A relatively manuverable and durable close-in bruiser

• Sprint capability allows it to close quickly on initial contact
Weaknesses:

• Composite Beam Cannon has limited effective range

• Heaviest firepower is in a fixed forward arc

• Not the greatest AA suite in the world

• Not exactly fast after it has sprinted

• Sprint 'wings' being damaged could end up in a very bad day for the frigate.
Description: More commonly known as the 'Sith Assault Frigate' the Boneshatter-class exemplifies everything that is dangerous about the One Sith. Appearing as a standard patrol frigate, the ship is designed to rush in and punch right through enemy convoys. It is especially well-suited to destroying other frigates and similarly-sized vessels.

Similar to much of the One Sith Navy, the Boneshatter-class was built from the ground up to confront the Republic Navy and pick apart its vulnerabilities. However where the Dark Blade and Vanguard focus on long-range firepower and durability, the Boneshatter is built like a brawler. Most of the firepower is centered around the nose, and lessons from the past were applied to develop its main gun.

A trio of emitters are contained in a Composite Beam array that allows them to fire a combined blast with more energy output than a volley from a single Hypervelocity Cannon! Unfortunately, the cohesion of the composite beam dissipates far more rapidly than a regular blaster, limiting its power at anything beyond normal turbolaser range.

To help deal with this, a second innovation was installed on the vessel. The 'wings' of the ship contain racks of antimatter capacitors which power a set of thrusters that are known as the 'sprint thrusters.' When activated, these fire and propel the ship forward at a high acceleration for a short period of time. This allows it to close contact quickly and open fire with the main gun for devastating effect.

The sprint all but fries the capacitors, however, and a significant amount of time (and typically a not-insubstantial amount of maintenance) must pass before they can be charged and used again. Sith simulations and testing showed that in almost all cases, they are a one-shot device in a battle, excepting particularly long or extensive fleet engagements. A final possible weakness is that when charged, the capacitors are somewhat volatile. They can be purged in an emergency, but it takes some time. Extensive damage to the 'wings' could trigger a cascading failure, and the resulting explosion would almost certainly cripple if not destroy the ship. Ware to the foe who tries that point-blank range, though.

The limitations of the system are self-evident, however. The Boneshatter-class is generally vulnerable after using its sprint thrusters (it's a somewhat slow vessel under standard thrust), and especially so if attacked off-axis from long range in such a situation. Backup weaponry serves to counteract that limitation to some degree, with the various heavy turbolasers and the like providing decent 360-degree coverage. Similarly, while lacking in standard acceleration the Boneshatter is rather maneuverable.

The aforementioned limitations were hardly enough to scare off the Sith from approving the vessel for mass production, and the 'Sith Assault Frigate' quickly became feared as a convoy raider and harassing vessel across Republic space.

Development Thread: N/A
Intent: I was bothered by the One Sith's lack of lighter ships. The special weapon was inspired by the picture, everything else developed as a result of that line of thinking.

[member="Cyrus Tregessar"]

Ok so I like you're willingness to create weaknesses for this craft, however, there is no way I can allow a one shot kill weapon to exist without a dev thread. Especially not on a mass produced ship. Especially not on a ship with such an advantageous, thrust system that eliminates the range weakness and already high weapon mark. Not to mention as I recall composite beam weapons were only allowed as sub-capital weapons, though I will check to see if that's changed. If you mean more of a proton beam weapon let me know, but I'd still require a dev thread for installation of such weapons.

So what I'm going to ask is:

Without a Dev Thread
  • Remove the composite beam weaponry
  • Remove the sprint thrust system
or

With Dev Threads
  • Develop or apply the advanced weapon technology to the ship
  • Develop the sprint thrusters/apply them to just this ship (Also drop maneuverability when activated as well as it is fact the faster you move the harder to turn)
  • Drop Production to minor (or limited if referencing finds my first assumption off)

Hrrm. I am not a huge fan of writing dev threads in general.

How about this. I'm happy to drop the implication that it's a one-hit-kill weapon, I'd never intended to use it as such anyway (though I can see the issue in that others might). Would that change your criteria at all? I'd also be willing to tone down the gun counts and/or the sprint system.

[member="Camellia Swift"]

[member="Cyrus Tregessar"]

I'm sorry but no, the Darkblade's weapon isn't strictly a one hit kill either and required dev threads, this weapon is clearly powerful and you've got it with no canon reference. Its similar to some, but the way its setup is unique too. It will need dev threads, and even then I wish to drop it to minor for having such powerful weapons. Unless you intend to create extensive dev threads to make it mass, which would be a lot of work.

And you've also pointed out this weapon is open to use by many so again, it will need the appropriate work or be cut down by a lot.

[member="Camellia Swift"]

Very well. In that case I'm going to have to head back to the drawing boards, since I'm really trying to make just a mainline frigate for the Sith. I do intend to use the basic framework I've got here, but I will totally re-do the weapons and such, so I'm not sure if this should be archived or tagged as WIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom